Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

docbeard posted:

Now that sounds more like the Google that reminds me of bills two weeks after I've paid them.

To be fair, they go by the due date if it's in the emailed bill when that bill is in your GMail. They have no way of knowing whether or not you've paid it.

What they should do (at least for Inbox users where they're willing to play around with mail options) is allow you to mark bills as paid and have that suppress the reminder. Given that they have a whole unique UI for bills it would make sense. As a side benefit it would allow you to search for bills and see the day/time you paid them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

RZA Encryption posted:

Lmao why do people still root their phones
For the same reason you don't use Edge™ browser by Microsoft hope this helps

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I root my phone because android loving sucks and the battery life on my n5x is garbage?

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

kcer posted:

Is now a dumb time to buy a 5x with the new ones not far away? Idk why it would be but I don't keep up with phone stuff. The battery on my One X is comically bad so it's probably time to replace it entirely.

New ones are always not far away.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I don't root my phone but I'm tempted to just for the chrome Pie controls xposed mod.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

I don't root my phone but I'm tempted to just for the chrome Pie controls xposed mod.

Those were so great on the old Browser.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

LastInLine posted:

Those were so great on the old Browser.

don't even know why i liked them, but they were good

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lol. Hey guys, I just enabled the administrator account with no password. What could possibly go wrong?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

Lol. Hey guys, I just enabled the administrator account with no password. What could possibly go wrong?

you're prompted to allow or block when an application tries to run something as root. if you allow access by malware then you hosed up and were too dumb to have rooted it in the first place. it's not dangerous if you actually know what you're doing

Eikre
May 2, 2009
A SUDO password of "answer this SuperSU prompt" is not, programmatically, any different what-so-loving-ever from any other conceivable password, it is merely easier to guess if you are a human with the screen-unlocked device in your hands.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

My battery life seems a lot worse than usual. I'm not rooted or anything fancy. What should I inspect my gadget for to look for possible problems?

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Elephunk posted:

My battery life seems a lot worse than usual. I'm not rooted or anything fancy. What should I inspect my gadget for to look for possible problems?
Are you keeping Wifi/BT/GPS on when you aren't using it? Do you have Pokemon Go, Facebook, Messenger, etc installed?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol If you janitor wifi/BT/GPS connections.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Elephunk posted:

you could use something like wakelock detector or betterbatterystats to see what is draining the battery also, some of their functionality will be unavailable without root tho

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

minusX posted:

Are you keeping Wifi/BT/GPS on when you aren't using it?
Turning these off doesn't save power.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Speaking of batteries, what does using Google Play Music show up as in the stock meter? Like today, I've listened to podcasts for like two hours, but none of the services listed are saying that they used the battery for anywhere near that amount of time. Google Play Music itself says it's been active for 2.5 minutes total.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

For the same reason you don't use Edge™ browser by Microsoft hope this helps

Because there isn't a mac version?

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Endless Mike posted:

lol If you janitor wifi/BT/GPS connections.

butt dickus posted:

Turning these off doesn't save power.
If you have a bad connection to something in the distance it can cause extra use, also asking all questions is a part of troubleshooting, older devices don't handle it as well :shrug:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I have mentioned in this thread several times that my 5x has had the battery drained by Bluetooth intermittently. Started about a month or so ago, to the point where I now have to turn it off when I am not using it. This is my first time janitoring my wifi/GPS/Bluetooth since my first Android phone (Nexus S). A couple of people in thread mentioned they were having the same problem.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Bluetooth definitely drains my batt hardcore on my N5. Went back to the good 'ol aux cable :v:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I get that WiFi and GPS are different, but is there a particular reason to have Bluetooth enabled if you don't have any devices?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

docbeard posted:

I get that WiFi and GPS are different, but is there a particular reason to have Bluetooth enabled if you don't have any devices?

No, just leave it off if you don't every use it

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

RZA Encryption posted:

Because there isn't a mac version?

About that. (VM by Microsoft and mostly meant for web developers, so not technically :airquote:A Mac Version:airquote: but close enough for someone who uses Android)

EDIT: Also no qemu version and based on Dell hiring behavior VMware might be dead.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 7, 2016

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Looking to upgrade my Nexus 5.

Can someone recommend me a phone that:
-Has better battery life
-Has a smaller screen for my tiny baby hands

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
Dear Android thread: I've always enjoyed your ridiculous titles, especially the fastball one. I've been lurking in this thread for quite some time and I have to say the thread's absurd title actually helped me today.

My Nexus 5 got stuck in a boot loop because the power button appeared to be stuck down. I remembered this thread title so I popped my phone out of the case and whacked the power button against the side of my desk. It actually worked!

.....good old Android.

Consider this a thread success! :gary:

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Vasler posted:

Dear Android thread: I've always enjoyed your ridiculous titles, especially the fastball one. I've been lurking in this thread for quite some time and I have to say the thread's absurd title actually helped me today.

My Nexus 5 got stuck in a boot loop because the power button appeared to be stuck down. I remembered this thread title so I popped my phone out of the case and whacked the power button against the side of my desk. It actually worked!

.....good old Android.

Coincidentally, that's exactly the phone and situation that gave the thread its title.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Vasler posted:

.....good old Android.

If you can solder, replacing the switch isn't too bad. It's lead free solder, though, so you need an iron that can handle that.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

-Has better battery life

Good luck, all good recent Android phones are hugephones. Maybe Sony Xperia Z3 compact or Z5 compact?

Comedy option: iPhone SE :v:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Away all Goats posted:

-Has better battery life

Wait until November and see if the small Nexus will be good (it's an HTC though so they'll probably gently caress it up).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Chikimiki posted:

Good luck, all good recent Android phones are hugephones. Maybe Sony Xperia Z3 compact or Z5 compact?

Comedy option: iPhone SE :v:

Is the comedy in that option the fact that it's way better than the Sony pieces of poo poo?

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

So I saw on Slickdeals that the Moto G Plus 4th Edition (64 gb) is only $250 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER (that still has a referral code in it I think, I just lifted it right from the website)

I currently have a Nexus 5 with a dying battery that is somewhat aggravating but not the end of the world as the rest of the phone still works pretty well. This looks like a decently priced upgrade, but I'm not the best at leafing through spec sheets and don't know anything about anything. Like which CPUs are worth a drat and which are terrible and so on. I've been holding out for the Nexus 6P to get cheap(er), and ultimately am not sure if I should jump on this or just keep waiting.

I guess the biggest question is other than not getting the guaranteed latest greatest Android version FIRST is there any other serious downside to buying non-Nexus models, specifically the Moto stuff?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

LastInLine posted:

Is the comedy in that option the fact that it's way better than the Sony pieces of poo poo?

What's wrong with the Sony phones? I had a Z3 Compact and it was terrific. Are you referring to the often gimped US releases?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

(that still has a referral code in it I think, I just lifted it right from the website)

For future reference, you only have to grab the URL up to the end of the chunk of capital letters, or you can use the share button to get a shortened URL.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What's wrong with the Sony phones? I had a Z3 Compact and it was terrific. Are you referring to the often gimped US releases?

The z3c is two years old at this point so there's no reason to recommend that and the z5 is a year old and was lagging behind the pack at that time. The iPhone SE is a current phone that is equal to 6s in most ways and will be supported for years to come. I'm not saying the z3c wasn't good for its time but it's certainly not competitive now and the z5c was never competitive at all unlike the SE which is equivalent to its contemporary iOS siblings.

So I saw on Slickdeals that the Moto G Plus 4th Edition (64 gb) is only $250 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER (that still has a referral code in it I think, I just lifted it right from the website)

I currently have a Nexus 5 with a dying battery that is somewhat aggravating but not the end of the world as the rest of the phone still works pretty well. This looks like a decently priced upgrade, but I'm not the best at leafing through spec sheets and don't know anything about anything. Like which CPUs are worth a drat and which are terrible and so on. I've been holding out for the Nexus 6P to get cheap(er), and ultimately am not sure if I should jump on this or just keep waiting.

I guess the biggest question is other than not getting the guaranteed latest greatest Android version FIRST is there any other serious downside to buying non-Nexus models, specifically the Moto stuff?

It's well-specced and has a nice price but the question no one can answer is how Lenovo will be about supporting its models going forward. No one can really comment on that. Also Lenovo is currently embroiled in some lawsuits over abysmal post-purchase support (mostly warranty claims) that they seriously failed to hold up their end of. I guess the other main differentiator compared to the Nexus line would be the lack of regular security updates and flashable system images for when your phone shits itself if that kind of stuff matters to you (and it would seem like if the warranty stuff doesn't matter to you, then the system images would because you'd be in a situation where if the software fucks up Lenovo would refuse to fix it while you would be unable to fix it).

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jul 8, 2016

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

LastInLine posted:

The z3c is two years old at this point so there's no reason to recommend that and the z5 is a year old and was lagging behind the pack at that time. The iPhone SE is a current phone that is equal to 6s in most ways and will be supported for years to come. I'm not saying the z3c wasn't good for its time but it's certainly not competitive now and the z5c was never competitive at all unlike the SE which is equivalent to its contemporary iOS siblings.

I'm still using a Z3C and have pretty much no issue with it whatsoever. My battery still lasts a full day (as long as I'm not playing a lot of games) and everything runs smoothly. Screen size is reasonable and it's waterproof to boot.

Away all Goats wanted two things in a phone and I'd say the Z3C still fits those criteria. Unless there's a new Nexus phone coming out with a 5-inch screen soon, I don't see why it's such a bad idea.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Shoren posted:

Unless there's a new Nexus phone coming out with a 5-inch screen soon, I don't see why it's such a bad idea.

There is (as long as fall counts as soon.)

The two HTC devices released this fall are supposed to be 5" and 5.5". Aside from size, screen resolution, and battery capacity, they will be exactly the same.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Thank you that was really informative especially with regards to thinking about the images and warranty. I had no idea Lenovo owned Moto, thought Google bought them a long time ago so I was extra in the dark. Oh well, hope someone can benefit from the deal and I'll keep waiting.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Thank you that was really informative especially with regards to thinking about the images and warranty. I had no idea Lenovo owned Moto, thought Google bought them a long time ago so I was extra in the dark. Oh well, hope someone can benefit from the deal and I'll keep waiting.

They did buy them and then sold them to lenovo! You were correct :)

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Finally upgraded my Nexus 4 from 4.4 to 5.1.1. It feels brand new, might be able to get another 4 years out of this. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Since I know how much you guys love to hate One Plus:

"Last night my 1+1 went up in flames, almost burned my face..."