Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

There is absolutely no way we don't get a zombie Hodor right? It's exactly something the show would do which leads me to think the show won't do it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Also lol remember when people thought Mance and Tormund glamour-switcharoo'd bodies because of the burning scene?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

mastershakeman posted:

Killing the children of a leader you deposed is 100% the right move every time

Well yeah but they didn't need to loot and pillage the city too. Just waltz into the keep and kill the kids and Aerys, bam problem solved.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Ginette Reno posted:

Well yeah but they didn't need to loot and pillage the city too. Just waltz into the keep and kill the kids and Aerys, bam problem solved.

Wheres the fun in that for the poor soldiers , let them live a little

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Kajeesus posted:

You mistake my flippant tone for actual dismissal. I like the George Lucas quote, even if the situation he described with it was ham-fisted and not all that poetic. The Lannister brothers' storylines are very much intertwined, and in spite of how different they were at the beginning, they're growing into the same person.

Oh, my rant wasn't aimed at you personally, I know you didn't actually dismiss it, it was just the right hook for me to come at this quote :).

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

drunken officeparty posted:

There is absolutely no way we don't get a zombie Hodor right? It's exactly something the show would do which leads me to think the show won't do it though.

Seems like a waste to bring the actor back if he's just going to be a mindless tool who can only say one word.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

the jizz taxi posted:

I know that George Lucas's lovely defense of copy-pasting his plots and whatnot gets tossed around here frequently just for laughs, but Lucas was right in that motifs require repetition to work effectively (hence, a motif). The difference is that in Lucas's massive turd of script writing, he went about them in the most ham-fisted and nonsensical way. In capable hands, motifs add meaning to the story, can introduce dramatic irony or enhance a reader's insight into the world or character they're going along with.

I'll try to give an example. Luke Skywalker and Anakin both lose their left hand while fighting against a superior foe who is aligned to the Dark Side, demonstrating they have still much to learn and are not yet obviously going to win, or, perhaps to show that father and son have gone through a similar trajectory and that one could have ended up as the other and vice versa. Beyond that point though, it doesn't make much sense, because we already know the ending, and the context in which the loss of the hand happens is completely different. For Luke, it is his first real confrontation with the man he was raised to believe was the embodiment of evil and who killed his mentor, only to twist the knife a few moments later that this evil guy in fact is his true father. For Anakin, no such dramatic heft exists. Sure, he rushes in to try and protect Obi-Wan's life, but what are the true stakes here? We know Yoda is around the corner and Darth Tyranus (couldn't they have at least called him Tyrannus) is a generic bad guy who carries very little personal history for the main characters. That's why the "it's like poetry" bit is so obviously dumb. Yes, it rhymes, but most poetry that has end rhyme is elementary school level and not particularly good, preferring form over function. Good poetry rhymes in more than one way, e.g. within the line, by alliteration, chiasms, etc.

Consider now a motif from ASOIAF/GOT. Jaime and Theon occupy similar spaces in that they are both overly cocky sons of extremely demanding fathers, and they rely on their manly prowess to assert themselves in the world, only to have their masculinity trampled and taken away, Jaime by getting his hand cut, Theon by getting his dick removed. This works well because Jaime defines himself as a warrior while Theon is more of a bro who likes padding his sexual resumé. Both men literally live in dirt and poo poo at their lowest points and re-emerge as damaged men trying to repair whatever is left of their dignity. Both their fathers die, freeing them of this terrible shadow of a demanding father figure. But because their arcs take place after one another, a reader can sort of intuit that by the time Theon is Reek, it narratively wouldn't make sense just to off him because we've seen what happens with Jaime. In fact, Theon's arc is an extreme form of Jaime's - fitting because his misdeeds were also more extreme. And, fittingly, their "fall" circles back to the same character: Bran. So, this isn't "hurr durr it rhymes, dumb reptition", but more like a poetic tapestry where themes get enhanced, displayed and repeated to strengthen the narration as a whole.

Or, put it in music terms. George Lucas does verse-chorus-verse-chorus with little creativity, while GRRM attempts to write baroque music.

That's because JarJar was supposed to be the dark sith lord and they had to sub in Tyranus last minute because of lovely JarJar reception. He was supposed to be evil yoda.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kajeesus posted:

Theon did a shitton of collateral damage even if he only killed three people directly.

Jaime's attempt at killing Bran was what started the whole war.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Mr. Nice! posted:

That's because JarJar was supposed to be the dark sith lord and they had to sub in Tyranus last minute because of lovely JarJar reception. He was supposed to be evil yoda.
Is that true? I would love to hear/read more about this.

Alhazred posted:

How do you figure that? The Baratheons don't give the slightest poo poo about Bran, and even the Starks never worked out that Jaime had thrown him out the window.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Alhazred posted:

What? No, Joffrey executing Ned instead of sending him to the Wall started the whole war.

The Starks all thought Bran had fallen from one of his many climbs. And Bran didn't remember Jaime pushing him.

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I believe the core issue that led to events that triggered the civil war was the conflict between Arya and Joffrey. That event seems to have been the hot button that gave Littlefinger room to council Joffrey into sending the assassin out slay Bran.

TEAH SYAG fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 7, 2016

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ashcans posted:

How do you figure that? The Baratheons don't give the slightest poo poo about Bran, and even the Starks never worked out that Jaime had thrown him out the window.

Catelyn thinks that Tyrion tried to kill Bran and captures him. This leads the Lannisters to start attack the Riverlands and Ned summons Tywin to answer for this. Realizing this would probably mean war between the Starks and the Lannisters Ned prepare to leave King's Landing, Sansa refuses and mentions Joffrey's blonde hair.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Ginette Reno posted:

Of course then you do have poo poo like the sack of kings landing and his treatment of his kids that have no justification.

That's more or less what I was referring to. Plus the murder of the entire Reynes clan, his treatment of his step-mom, and the :airquote: pacification of the Riverlands :airquote:

Ultimately it's his poetic hypocrisy that gets him murdered.

Have your son's wife raped so she's treated a whore
Sleep with your son's whore who he treated like a wife

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Littlefinger's asinine dagger story started the war. That got Kat to arrest Tyrion, which led Tywin to unleash the Mountain on the riverlands, etc.

Of course, had Ned just relayed the story to Robert (which seems like an overwhelmingly likely thing for Ned to do), the war never happens (at least not that way) and Littlefinger is probably dangling from a rope by the end of that day. But LF's plot armor prevented that.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

If Robert had given the slightest poo poo about his son, Joffrey (psychopath that he was) wouldn't have felt the need to have Bran killed
Which wouldn't have put the dagger in Catelyn's hands
Which wouldn't have led to her suspecting and kidnapping Tyrion
Which wouldn't have led to the Lannisters declaring war on the Starks
Which wouldn't have led to Ned's Death/Red Wedding/A Song of Ice and Fire

The moral of the entire series should be: "Don't Be A poo poo Husband and Father."

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Alhazred posted:

Catelyn thinks that Tyrion tried to kill Bran and captures him. This leads the Lannisters to start attack the Riverlands and Ned summons Tywin to answer for this. Realizing this would probably mean war between the Starks and the Lannisters Ned prepare to leave King's Landing, Sansa refuses and mentions Joffrey's blonde hair.

So it's Bran's fault for climbing the Broken Tower and making Jaime throw him off. Which is Cat's fault for not being strict enough with him. Which is Hoster Tully's fault because...

Littlefinger is the one who made Catelyn think Tyrion did it, and the one who betrayed Ned, and the one who planned the assassination of Ned's predecessor, and all the other poo poo he did. If you want to blame the war on one individual, Littlefinger is the only one who makes sense.

the jizz taxi posted:

Oh, my rant wasn't aimed at you personally, I know you didn't actually dismiss it, it was just the right hook for me to come at this quote :).

No worries, it was a good post. Gurm was a really baller author.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jul 7, 2016

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

If Cat had just married Littlefinger Bran wouldn't exist and Littlefinger would have been content. Cat is the true antagonist of the series.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Ashcans posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yy3q9f84EA

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.

MrSlam posted:

If Robert had given the slightest poo poo about his son, Joffrey (psychopath that he was) wouldn't have felt the need to have Bran killed
Which wouldn't have put the dagger in Catelyn's hands
Which wouldn't have led to her suspecting and kidnapping Tyrion
Which wouldn't have led to the Lannisters declaring war on the Starks
Which wouldn't have led to Ned's Death/Red Wedding/A Song of Ice and Fire

The moral of the entire series should be: "Don't Be A poo poo Husband and Father."

Robert wasn't Joffrey's father, and Joffrey had two poo poo parents. Book Cersei being undeniably the worse of the two.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Blind Melon posted:

Robert wasn't Joffrey's father

:geno: the entire Seven Kingdoms with the exception of Jaime, Cersei, and maybe Varys and Littlefinger were unaware of this fact

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

RCarr posted:

If Cat had just married Littlefinger Bran wouldn't exist and Littlefinger would have been content. Cat is the true antagonist of the series.

Or, easier still, just let Brandon kill the fucker.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Ashcans posted:

It's a dumb theory based on Jar Jar having yellow eyes (though every Gungan has the same eyes) and some way to hard watching of Phantom Menace.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

^^^: I am disappointed there is no confirmation of it though, because while JarJar would still be dumb there at least might be a reason for him being there.

MrSlam posted:

:geno: the entire Seven Kingdoms with the exception of Jaime, Cersei, and maybe Varys and Littlefinger were unaware of this fact

When you think about it, Joffrey had two dads right there (his biological and his assumed) and both of them were total poo poo at doing anything to raise him.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

"youre right... that does make sense" ~ D&D

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

zVxTeflon posted:

"youre right... that does make sense" ~ D&D

This year, Jar-Jar Bings is a writer on the show.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Kajeesus posted:

So it's Bran's fault for climbing the Broken Tower and making Jaime throw him off. Which is Cat's fault for not being strict enough with him. Which is Hoster Tully's fault because...

Littlefinger is the one who made Catelyn think Tyrion did it, and the one who betrayed Ned, and the one who planned the assassination of Ned's predecessor, and all the other poo poo he did. If you want to blame the war on one individual, Littlefinger is the only one who makes sense.

You are basically saying that the war can't be blamed on Jamie because no one figured out that he did the thing that started the whole thing.

A Lannister tries to kill Bran, another Lannister tries to kill Bran, the Starks realize someone is trying to kill Bran, and a Lannister takes the blame for it. It's not like Littlefinger is manufacturing the Stark-Lannister conflict.

Pedro De Heredia fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 8, 2016

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
Although it really does go to show just how much Starks are fuckups, Cat had a 2/3rd chance to get the right Lannister and she still managed to gently caress it up.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Ashcans posted:

^^^: I am disappointed there is no confirmation of it though, because while JarJar would still be dumb there at least might be a reason for him being there.

I'm at work and can't watch it right now, but I've seen the theory and evidence before, and I really wish that's what they ended up going with.There's a lot of compelling stuff there - I agreed that, without further context, we would probably think that someone doing that huge leap into a double backflip into the water was a Jedi.

Really though, I think it was just Lucas writing a slapstick character and throwing in "goofy" stuff like Jar Jar accidentally shooting all those troopers with a gun stuck to his foot to try to make kids laugh. He is too much of a hack to have written something that subtle.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Darth Jar Jar is literally the only thing that could have made those movies even worse.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
You have obviously never seen a wookie celebrate Life Day.

e: The entire thing is proof that anything has a chance of being greenlit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX0x-I06Fpc

Narmi fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 8, 2016

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Pedro De Heredia posted:

You are basically saying that the war can't be blamed on Jamie because no one figured out that he did the thing that started the whole thing.

A Lannister tries to kill Bran, another Lannister tries to kill Bran, the Starks realize someone is trying to kill Bran, and a Lannister takes the blame for it. It's not like Littlefinger is manufacturing the Stark-Lannister conflict.

No, I'm saying the war can't be blamed on Jaime because Bran falling isn't the thing that started the whole thing. If we're talking single events, the assassinations of Jon Arryn and Robert Baratheon were kiiinda more important.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
How did the assassin who tried to kill Brann get to Winterfell when Starks/Reeds were still in control of Moat Cailin at the time?

Mujaji
Oct 2, 2004
"The Transformers soundtrack is quite probably the greatest single album in the entire history of recorded music"

waitwhatno posted:

Darth Jar Jar is literally the only thing that could have made those movies even worse.

I don't know, he could drop the act, fix his posture and put on a sinister British voice it could have been interesting at least. Hell, use Christopher Lees voice on JarJar after the reveal.

kinda like how this deleted scene would have been good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfmmUa_r-oo

Apart from Pycelle punching a few little birds as he went out you had no idea he was faking his frailty and playing the game of thrones himself, and it's a shame.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
A sequence of events that began when Robert agreed to foster Sweetrobin at Casterly Rock under Tywin kicked off the war. I think Jon Arryn proposed it, so Lysa killed him to keep her kid and escape.

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016

Mujaji posted:

Apart from Pycelle punching a few little birds as he went out you had no idea he was faking his frailty and playing the game of thrones himself, and its a shame.

Err, there's a whole scene of him showing it's all an act as he just got done power loving Ros.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mujaji posted:

Apart from Pycelle punching a few little birds as he went out you had no idea he was faking his frailty and playing the game of thrones himself, and it's a shame.

There was a scene in his room where he does a few quick squats and stretches, then puts on the act and limps out into the Red Keep.

E, f, b. :argh:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Littlefinger's asinine dagger story started the war. That got Kat to arrest Tyrion, which led Tywin to unleash the Mountain on the riverlands, etc.

GRRM always says that Littlefinger can't be a viewpoint character because he knows too much. In the books that always seemed to make sense but in the show it never does, whatever his plan is feels arbitrary.

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008
There's a deleted scene where Tywin calls Pycele out, it's been floating around for a few years now.

nvm, missed that you had the same thing already

Narmi fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 8, 2016

Love Crime
Apr 4, 2016
....he literally linked that in the very same post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Taear posted:

GRRM always says that Littlefinger can't be a viewpoint character because he knows too much. In the books that always seemed to make sense but in the show it never does, whatever his plan is feels arbitrary.

Show Littlefinger makes no sense at this point. If his entire motivation is to rule Westeros with Sansa as his queen, why in the gently caress would he marry her off to Ramsay Bolton?

• Locked thread