Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Tide posted:

It's an option, but the one getting the most 'votes'.

Here's why: I was talking about it to a co-worker the other day and I really came to two conclusions:
1. I would be terrified to drive it - someone will ding a door, something will fly up and smash the hood/windshield, someone would rear end me ever so slightly. And I would just cry if that happened. This is a ridiculous mindset, I know.

2. There really is no where near here to drive it. No road courses, no fun mountain or coastal roads.

Basically, I would park it in the garage and listen to the motor rev up and down.

I really get number 1 there, but aside from making sure that I'm always parked in the garage at home (God damned pine trees are a loving cancer and drop poo poo everywhere nonstop), there's just not much you can do. I did end up going a bit paranoid with insurance though, both against loss in value + USAA has an option to pay a couple extra bucks a month and they'll pay out 20% over market value in the event the car got totaled.

Other than that though, it's still a great car to drive no matter what the roads around you happen to be like. (OK, if they're crap on the level of most Louisiana or Mississippi roads, then that might be the exception. I wouldn't want to drive it around New Orleans quality roads).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
I got to drive a 2016 5.0 stick. Most fun I've ever had.

:swoon:

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cage posted:

If you guys want to see me get whooped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YZqQTPahwA

One of my slower runs, first time out this year.

i dont care what you ran that thing sounds loving aweomse.

yeah the 46 was kind of a dog but drat di d it make some swee tucking music.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Gwaihir posted:

I really get number 1 there, but aside from making sure that I'm always parked in the garage at home (God damned pine trees are a loving cancer and drop poo poo everywhere nonstop), there's just not much you can do. I did end up going a bit paranoid with insurance though, both against loss in value + USAA has an option to pay a couple extra bucks a month and they'll pay out 20% over market value in the event the car got totaled.

Other than that though, it's still a great car to drive no matter what the roads around you happen to be like. (OK, if they're crap on the level of most Louisiana or Mississippi roads, then that might be the exception. I wouldn't want to drive it around New Orleans quality roads).

here in south alabam we have decent roads in temrs of smootheness but they are crap to drive on in terms of fun.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Are there any guidelines for when to replace the timing chain on the 4.6? I didn't see anything in the service schedule and I'm either searching for the wrong thing or there is nothing out there. My 2001 is nearing 90k miles.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

thebigcow posted:

Are there any guidelines for when to replace the timing chain on the 4.6? I didn't see anything in the service schedule and I'm either searching for the wrong thing or there is nothing out there. My 2001 is nearing 90k miles.

When it stretches or the car starts mysteriously jumping time?

Chains, on most vehicles anyway, will outlast the car. Or at least 150k+.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So, with all the people trading their ecoboosts for gts, what are the odds that you can pick one up for a heavy discount here in 2-3 more years?

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

iwentdoodie posted:

When it stretches or the car starts mysteriously jumping time?

Chains, on most vehicles anyway, will outlast the car. Or at least 150k+.

Do daily driven cars with chains have a problem with stretching? I have never heard of that happening. I was always under the impression the chain will outlast the car.

The big cow, do you mean the serpentine belt? I know some people confuse that as the timing belt.

The timing chain is covered up in the engine itself and it helps with opening/closing the cams and stuff. the serpentine belt is exposed and you can see it turning all the pullies and driving the accessories like AC.
you should check that belt every year for cracks or frays. if that looks ok make sure the grooved part is not damaged.
it should be replaced every few years though for preventative maintenance. that can be had for less than 60 bucks and super easy to replace.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Elmnt80 posted:

So, with all the people trading their ecoboosts for gts, what are the odds that you can pick one up for a heavy discount here in 2-3 more years?

You can get one for a heavy discount now! https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2015-Ford-Mustang-EcoBoost-t55261#listing=148070244

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I already changed the serpentine belt. I'm assuming at some point the chain or something it rides on will wear out.

I'm setting aside money for a timing belt in a Honda Odyssey right now and it got me thinking about it.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
in that case, I really don't think you need to worry about a chain. a lot of us have 10+ year old cars and i am willing to bet no one has replaced them.
unless they have done cam upgrades. That is the only time I think you will need to replace them since everything is opened.

timing belt is obviously not a timing chain. so there is that too. belts suck, all new and modern cars should have a chain!!!!!!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

kalvick posted:

Do daily driven cars with chains have a problem with stretching? I have never heard of that happening. I was always under the impression the chain will outlast the car.

Depends on the car. IIRC, some C6 corvettes had an issue with it.

But yeah, chain will usually outlast the car.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

On one hand, a good chain should last the life of the engine, and not just in the sense that "when the chain breaks, the engine is now toast". On the other hand, I feel like that logic dates to a time when a 150k-mile engine was considered used up and ready to at least get a quick hone, rings, bearings, and a new timing set.

It also doesn't help that the timing chain on an overhead cam V ends up being really long, so there end up being plastic guides and poo poo for the chain to ride on (and wear out). Which makes this even more unforgivable:

iwentdoodie posted:

Depends on the car. IIRC, some C6 corvettes had an issue with it.

because a LS timing chain is loving tiny. At least they're reasonably easy to get at and replace compared to any sort of OHC engine.

I used to be anti timing belt, but after having done a couple of belt swaps (Volvo 240 and NB Miata), I think I'd rather have a belt that is easy (and relatively inexpensive) to service, instead of a chain that requires special tools and expensive parts.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

IOwnCalculus posted:

a chain that requires special tools and expensive parts.

Pull radiator, pull water pump, rent autozone balancer puller and installer, pull balancer, unbolt cover, rotate engine until timing marks line up, out with the old in with the new, put all that poo poo back in. :goleft:

Or did you mean the Mustang one? OHC engines are complicated bullshit anyway and should be done away with.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Pushrod the best rod. When the chain goes it is a good time to recondition the heads and replace the cam anyway. Think how good the 302 would be if Ford didn't screw around with a stupid overhead cam poo poo. Plus just replace your chain with gears muahhahaha.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
My neighbor had a Camaro with gear driven cam and you could hear the gear whine before the exhaust.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
My throw our bearing makes more noise than the exhaust if its under 2k.

edit: it might also be a pilot bearing after looking at more youtube videos?

Anyway, I havent posted it here yet so enjoy some exhaust and wind tones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2K-s57j9a_k

Cage fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 7, 2016

iroguebot
Feb 15, 2001

Nerf this!

Never posted in AI before, occasionally came to lurk this thread over the past 6 months since I've been starting to save up for a down payment on a car... I'd like to get a 2015 GT, but wondering when and if the prices of them would go down, would it be around the time when 2017s show up on the lots? I'm about 3k saved, wanting to put down 5k plus trade in my car.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I'm not sure if Ford is going to do it this year, but last year they did a promotion on the 2015s for 0% after the 16s were on the lot. I would assume it's going to happen again because it was fairly successful at moving inventory.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Yeah I'd totally hold out until springtime and see what they offer for incentives to move 2016 leftover stock off the lot.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Raluek posted:

Pull radiator, pull water pump, rent autozone balancer puller and installer, pull balancer, unbolt cover, rotate engine until timing marks line up, out with the old in with the new, put all that poo poo back in. :goleft:

Or did you mean the Mustang one? OHC engines are complicated bullshit anyway and should be done away with.

I meant OHC timing chains in general. LS timing chains are pretty easy, I'm sure 302 chains are easy. Mazda MZR chains need special tools to be replaced and I'd bet the chains in most common OHC V8s (Mod, Coyote, Dodge 4.7) need them too.

Elephanthead posted:

Pushrod the best rod. When the chain goes it is a good time to recondition the heads and replace the cam anyway. Think how good the 302 would be if Ford didn't screw around with a stupid overhead cam poo poo. Plus just replace your chain with gears muahhahaha.

Ford would've had to ditch the 302 for a clean-sheet pushrod V8 like both GM (LS) and Mopar (Hemi) did. Can't say I see any reason for them to do so when they finally figured out how to make an OHC V8 that isn't a turd.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

kalvick posted:

As long as the tensioner and guides remain in good working order, yeah. Somehow Nissan found a way to screw those up.

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood
Trip report:

M-2300-S SVT Brembo Brake Upgrade installed. While the pedal has not gotten heavier which is what I was expecting, the sensitivity has gone way up. Initial bite is very aggressive, emergency braking is now at 50& pedal, and ABS kicks in at 70%.

Highly recommended upgrade, well worth the $1k price of entry.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Decent brakes are like HIDs, once you have them on one car you are spoiled and need them on everything going forward.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

BigPaddy posted:

Decent brakes are like HIDs, once you have them on one car you are spoiled and need them on everything going forward.

Seeing as I am 90% done installing everything from Maximum Motorsports for suspension related mods, I think brakes are gonna be the next thing I sperg about.

I am dreaming of getting....
Wilwood 14" 2pc rotors w/ 6 pistons in the front and 13" 2pc rotors w/ pistons in the back.
One of those single piston little tiny calipers on the rears for the hand brake
and a totally beefed up brake master cylinder
and If ceramic brake rotors goes down in price and dont cost 8k each when I go to do these updates I would upgrade to those too! Finally a line lock because why the hell not? in the grand scheme of things its the cheapest mod of the lot.

YES it is totally unnecessary but my 13" cobra brakes are so boring now.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Why would you install a line lock? Don't they only exist to do burnouts without destroying your rear brakes? Or is there another function I don't know about?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Cage posted:

Why would you install a line lock? Don't they only exist to do burnouts without destroying your rear brakes? Or is there another function I don't know about?

You say that like it's a bad thing.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Cage posted:

Yea, you do burn outs with them so you can heat up the rear tires for drag racing. Also its a little safer than have your car launch unexpectedly so yea, it does not serve any other purpose.

Another thing you could leave them engaged when you get out of the car so if someone tried to steal the car, they would have to find the line lock toggle to release the brakes.
I was told it was a really bad idea to leave the brakes locked all the time, but no one has ever told me why so I cant confirm if its a bad thing to do or not. I mean the hand brake does the same thing, so IDK.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I understand why people buy line locks. I was more curious why YOU are buying one. You would destroy the original tires in no time flat if you were to do a burnout.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Cage posted:

I understand why people buy line locks. I was more curious why YOU are buying one. You would destroy the original tires in no time flat if you were to do a burnout.

loving lol. Jesus.

Also, a handbrake generally isn't a hydraulic system. I can't imagine that leaving your front brakes locked for the four months between two mile drives would be great :v:

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
heh, You know me, "Go Big or Go Home!" If I am doing brakes I am upgrading every component of the brake system regardless if it gets used or not.

Besides, in the grand scheme of things, a line lock is the cheapest brake mod you can do next to changing pads. A kit can be had for like a $100. It can be a fun project to do on a lazy summer weekend.

I know a handbrake is a cable. I know how that works, and I would never leave my front brakes locked for months on end. but I honestly see nothing wrong with leaving them engaged in a shady part of town for a few hours? But i dont know anything about hydraulics so that whole concept, I could be talking out of my rear end. Like i said IDK.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
PSA if you have Steeda strut tower brace. The nuts they give you cross thread very easily. Once you gently caress up and cross thread on one of the strut studs that's it. They just start spinning in the mount and you have to cut them off. So I get to pull my strut out and put a new mount on it this weekend. Going to use different nuts on the new one.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

kalvick posted:

heh, You know me, "Go Big or Go Home!" If I am doing brakes I am upgrading every component of the brake system regardless if it gets used or not.

Besides, in the grand scheme of things, a line lock is the cheapest brake mod you can do next to changing pads. A kit can be had for like a $100. It can be a fun project to do on a lazy summer weekend.

I know a handbrake is a cable. I know how that works, and I would never leave my front brakes locked for months on end. but I honestly see nothing wrong with leaving them engaged in a shady part of town for a few hours? But i dont know anything about hydraulics so that whole concept, I could be talking out of my rear end. Like i said IDK.
You're not making sense. You don't install mods just because they exist and are cheap. They only exist for smokey burnouts and I cant imagine you ever doing a burnout.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You can use a line lock like braking cruise control, set the pressure you want, flip switch, remove foot. It saves on the brake pedal pad wear you fools!

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Cage posted:

You're not making sense. You don't install mods just because they exist and are cheap. They only exist for smokey burnouts and I cant imagine you ever doing a burnout.

If you take out the whole brake system to put in a new system, a line lock is literally a solenoid you put between a brake lines. You don't even have to connect it to anything. you can be "line lock ready (TM)"
When you do a complete brake job, that is the perfect time to install it.

Also do I really "use" any of the mods I install in my car? It seems like you are getting really mad about something I may hypothetically do years from now.

settle and breath man.... think calm thoughts!!!!!

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I think he just wants to buy your car so he can drive it instead of it sitting around unused.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

kalvick posted:

If you take out the whole brake system to put in a new system, a line lock is literally a solenoid you put between a brake lines. You don't even have to connect it to anything. you can be "line lock ready (TM)"
When you do a complete brake job, that is the perfect time to install it.

Also do I really "use" any of the mods I install in my car? It seems like you are getting really mad about something I may hypothetically do years from now.

settle and breath man.... think calm thoughts!!!!!

Saying something makes no sense doesn't mean you're mad, jesus dude. You never drive your car and you certainly don't bring it to a track so I was curious as to why you would install something like that. Especially since you usually install mods that don't drop the value, and an aftermarket line lock on an old mustang seems like it would lower the value.

Cage fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 11, 2016

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

:vince:

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Buhbuhj posted:

I think he just wants to buy your car so he can drive it instead of it sitting around unused.

I my car is super awesome so I will start the bidding at $50,000!

Cage posted:

Saying something makes no sense doesn't mean you're mad, jesus dude. You never drive your car and you certainly don't bring it to a track so I was curious as to why you would install something like that. Especially since you usually install mods that don't drop the value, and an aftermarket line lock on an old mustang seems like it would lower the value.

A line lock added to a $5000+ brake job will not depreciate a car any faster that a car without it. if anything it will show that the owner took care of the expensive brakes by not f***ing up the pads.
you can also spin the line lock as a safety feature when you are showing off doing burnouts behind walmart or have a group of pedestrians out side the cars and coffee shows!!!!

also can we let go of this thread, and move onto other mustang related stuff. ugggg....

kalvick fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1970-ford-mustang

I don't get where Hagerty is getting these numbers, they seem really low compared to what I've been seeing in the last few month of checking craigslist and ebay periodically. Sure I'll see Mustang's go for $16,500, but they match Hagerty's "Good" condition, while "Excellent" condition Mustang's are going for "Concours" prices. I wish the SportRoof was broken out separately from the coupe for pricing.