Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

A mineral exchange device could be cool. Feed a bunch of an unwanted mineral in and get one unit of something you actually need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Truga posted:

They should just make them interchangable, don't gold and silver have very similar electrical properties?

They're both highly conductive, if that's what you mean. Silver is moreso.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

IronDoge posted:

Now that I have my Cyclops I find myself not going back to the game so much. Do they have plans of adding in and endgame of some sort? It's always nice to have a goal to work towards

You can see on the dev roadmap that they're working on fleshing out the "main story," so it's a pretty good bet there will be one.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Gold doesn't tarnish :eng101:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Do any of the wrecks have anything in them? I've been through a bunch and the only one that had anything in it was the cyclops engine pieces in the floating islands.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Invalid Validation posted:

Do any of the wrecks have anything in them? I've been through a bunch and the only one that had anything in it was the cyclops engine pieces in the floating islands.

Mostly they have furniture you can scan for blueprints but mostly they're not really worth the effort imo.

Laser cutting through a hatch for all there is is a bench you already have blueprints for is always disappointing.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Worse: Laser cutting a hatch to get into a room that was already open.

Wrecks are worthless.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

PerrineClostermann posted:

Wrecks are worthless.

Not for long, IIRC, they're planning on moving most fragments into wrecks, rather than having them scattered about the seafloor.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

PerrineClostermann posted:

Glad I'm not the only one.

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
Are there any plans on adding more hostile creatures that attack the base/cyclops? I found that all the tension for survival pretty much disappears once you got a base with a growing pot up and running.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I think survival will get a lot harder once you have to dive wrecks for blueprints. Right now you just take one trip to the island and you're set for food and water, as long as you have a pot.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
Started this up last night, got a radiation suit made up and a lot of gear. Should I aim for the wreckage? Or is there something closer to the escape pod that I should have been looking through?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Stringbean posted:

Started this up last night, got a radiation suit made up and a lot of gear. Should I aim for the wreckage? Or is there something closer to the escape pod that I should have been looking through?

Sure, go for it. Bring a fully charged welder.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Stringbean posted:

always keep an eye out for copper, make a ton of batteries. That sea glide has saved my rear end a ton of times while exploring and having it run out of juice would have been an instant RIP.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I don't have any vehicles. Just my fins :(

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Stringbean posted:

I don't have any vehicles. Just my fins :(

Seaglide fragments should be all around the shallows, It's the one vehicle you can make at the fabrication station.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Start with a couple oxygen tanks, new fins, seaglide, then start working your way out. It's actually pretty intuitive for an early access game. Oh and make sure you get the base builder fast cause I waited too long and it slowed me down.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

It helps a ton to be able to have a second base so you're not always going back to the escape pod.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Not for long, IIRC, they're planning on moving most fragments into wrecks, rather than having them scattered about the seafloor.

Which sounds cool until you realize a laser cutter needs a diamond, and battery chargers are unlocked with fragments :shepface: Particularly with it taking 50% cutter battery per door.

Also the loving draw distance (Which I expect will be sorted AFTER they move fragments). I've passed by so many lifepods and wrecks in areas I was frequenting because I wasn't close enough to enable their pop in :sigh: "Wait, wait. There was a lifepod in this kelp forest this whole time?"

Hopefully they don't go hog wild with hiding blueprints, and only stuff more notable ones into wrecks. If beacon's remain blueprint free, that should also ease things up if clutter your screen if you make sure to always keep some on you to mark wrecks for later.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jul 7, 2016

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Section Z posted:

Which sounds cool until you realize a laser cutter needs a diamond, and battery chargers are unlocked with fragments :shepface: Particularly with it taking 50% cutter battery per door.

Just do like we had to in the dark days before battery chargers existed: growing vast fields of acid mushrooms, and vast fields of creepvine to make medkits which you will need after harvesting acid mushroom spores

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Oh and make sure you get the base builder fast cause I waited too long and it slowed me down.

This is probably the one tip I would give to newbies just starting out. The most valuable resource in the beginning is storage space. Unless you like a bunch of ugly floating lockers cluttering everything :colbert:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Just do like we had to in the dark days before battery chargers existed: growing vast fields of acid mushrooms, and vast fields of creepvine to make medkits which you will need after harvesting acid mushroom spores

Oh cool, you can raise them without containment or growbeds? Then again, Growbeds are entirely out in the open on the surface. Though that's less of a comfort to newbies who haven't looked up what direction to go in order to discover Draw Distance Island.

Away all Goats posted:

This is probably the one tip I would give to newbies just starting out. The most valuable resource in the beginning is storage space. Unless you like a bunch of ugly floating lockers cluttering everything :colbert:

This is my biggest newbie regret. "I'll just make some floating lockers, and wait until I'm ready to make a proper base! :downs:"

No. Just, no. Even a single corridor tube with a couple lockers was a loving godsend.

Floating lockers at this point seem to be a case of "better than nothing". If we were allowed to drop them indoors, I could see the case for using them to sort ready made 'kits' of equipment for sorting. But right now, eh. Particularly with them taking up 4x4 inventory space no matter what.

If they folded up to 1 square while empty, I could see a bigger appeal before you had a Cyclops. Drop a bunch when you reach a biome for the first time and it's still lousy with quartz or other desirables. shove your excess into them, drop a beacon so you can actually FiND them again, and make a few trips to and from your base in your Seaglide or Seamoth to loot 60+ material, rather than have to drop everything each time your inventory fills up, and start the search over.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I keep floating lockers for one reason: moth modules

When I get the cyclops and start really roaming I keep a couple floating lockers with seamoth modules and torps. When I pull up somewhere to use the seamoth I drop those lockers outside to use as kind of a mobile mechanic bay to tailor the moth for what I'm doing.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Honky Dong Country posted:

I keep floating lockers for one reason: moth modules

When I get the cyclops and start really roaming I keep a couple floating lockers with seamoth modules and torps. When I pull up somewhere to use the seamoth I drop those lockers outside to use as kind of a mobile mechanic bay to tailor the moth for what I'm doing.

That is a really, really good use for them. And reminds me how much I wish I could access the cargo pods on a Seamoth while it's docked in the Cyclops.

How do you store them when they already have items in them (It's never let me when I've tried. Maybe I'm just misclicking somehow)? Or do you mean you leave them outside in areas you frequent as a stand in for moonpools?

EDIT: *loads game* Oh you mother fuckers. Why wouldn't you ever let me pick you up when I had a bunch of you outside my lifepod :argh:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 8, 2016

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

:stare: I think they added another reaper to the near side of the Aurora, because I have never seen one there before (also I discovered it was there when it tried to attack me while I was in the nearer of those two pieces of wreckage, which was... fun):

I spent a while watching a reaper (the one by the south end of the Aurora, not that one), and they seem to have partially fixed the whole "reapers swimming into the ground" bug (it can swim through sand, but not rock). Also, I watched this one eat a stalker and a shark (I don't know if they did that before). It also leapt out of the water while trying to get me a couple seconds before this picture was taken.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Section Z posted:

That is a really, really good use for them. And reminds me how much I wish I could access the cargo pods on a Seamoth while it's docked in the Cyclops.

How do you store them when they already have items in them (It's never let me when I've tried. Maybe I'm just misclicking somehow)? Or do you mean you leave them outside in areas you frequent as a stand in for moonpools?

EDIT: *loads game* Oh you mother fuckers. Why wouldn't you ever let me pick you up when I had a bunch of you outside my lifepod :argh:

Lol. I keep them in lockers right near the cyclops hatch. The downside is floating lockers are huuuge so you can only fit one of them in a wall locker.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

U.T. Raptor posted:

:stare: I think they added another reaper to the near side of the Aurora, because I have never seen one there before (also I discovered it was there when it tried to attack me while I was in the nearer of those two pieces of wreckage, which was... fun):

I think they move the reaper spawns around a bit with every patch, and sometimes add new ones.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

What happens to vehicles when they get to 0 durability? I haven't had the courage to try yet.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

What happens to vehicles when they get to 0 durability? I haven't had the courage to try yet.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
What are the benefits of using the cyclops compared to the seamoth, apart from it being easier to move your stuff around?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The only benefit to the Cyclops is that you can put a lot of storage in it. Other than that, the Seamoth is faster, easier to see out of and more maneuverable.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

It can go deeper. Mostly it's just a mobile base you can park somewhere you don't feel like planting a permanent one when you just want to vacuum up a bunch of quartz or something.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

You look like a badass, ready to take on a reaper with a survival knife.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Oasx posted:

What are the benefits of using the cyclops compared to the seamoth, apart from it being easier to move your stuff around?

The cyclops is much better at having a foghorn than the seamoth.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Reapers don't mess with the Cyclops too.

No matter how much I hassle them.

HONK HONNNNNNNK

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I haven't played in a while, and when I did I played in modes that didn't require me to eat because I was sick of hunting for salt every five minutes. Did this change?

I've heard stuff like "all you need is (some fish) for food and gasbags for water", but I'm phone posting and can't figure out what the recipes in question are.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

MisterBibs posted:

I haven't played in a while, and when I did I played in modes that didn't require me to eat because I was sick of hunting for salt every five minutes. Did this change?

I've heard stuff like "all you need is (some fish) for food and gasbags for water", but I'm phone posting and can't figure out what the recipes in question are.
the mighty reginald can be eaten for +44 food, cooked without salt. All you need is a dozen quartz/titanium to make yourself an alien isolation tank and throw 2 of them them in to breed. Then when you find the island, you can get and grow fruit and all your food problems go away forever.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Once the game is more feature complete I'd love a more gritty and lowtech mod or alternate gameplay mode. You'd start on a surface island and scrounge up scrap to make basic tools and make very short dives for pearls or whatever, then later on you'd craft your first wetsuit and start salvaging more valuable tech from the Aurora from a workbench, basically expanding the tech tree hugely and making the current tree the endgame.

Heck you could make your first bases a bunch of pre-crafted inflatable rooms you have to anchor to the sea floor until you get the building wand.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

MisterBibs posted:

You can craft a water filtration machine that makes more salt and water than you need. Also the fruit tree from floating island gives food and water.

I want a big boat in this game, that can pick up wrecks and put down base modules. Like the glomar explorer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Demiurge4 posted:

Once the game is more feature complete I'd love a more gritty and lowtech mod or alternate gameplay mode. You'd start on a surface island and scrounge up scrap to make basic tools and make very short dives for pearls or whatever, then later on you'd craft your first wetsuit and start salvaging more valuable tech from the Aurora from a workbench, basically expanding the tech tree hugely and making the current tree the endgame.

Heck you could make your first bases a bunch of pre-crafted inflatable rooms you have to anchor to the sea floor until you get the building wand.
Ooor you keep true to the theme and be in the water 99% of the time because the game is called subnautica and it's about being in the water.

It's not something you should "unlock" partway through the game, it's not somewhere you go just to scavenge resources before going back to your above-ground shelter. If you want an above-ground survival game there are about a dozen on steam in varying stages of completeness that you're free to play right this moment.

Fortunately, the designers seem to agree. The early game is pretty much done at this point excepting minor tweaks like critical blueprint unlocks soon to be found in larger wreck rooms.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 8, 2016