Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Eimi posted:

Speaking of TTS, I got it over the steam sale. I didn't see the tutorial on how to set up Xwing in it in the op, can anyone repost it?

https://www.reddit.com/r/XWingTMG/comments/4bk3jw/pic_tutorial_for_xwing_on_tabletop_simulator_step/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

Eimi posted:

Speaking of TTS, I got it over the steam sale. I didn't see the tutorial on how to set up Xwing in it in the op, can anyone repost it?

I think there's only two workshop mods that need to be downloaded now-

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=657471996 and http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=631304247

If you download those and join the Steam group/chat I could probably run through setting up a squad/playing a game pretty quick in-game.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
Geez why did FFG switch event systems... this yapsody garbage was worse than the original platform. Didn't get into Armada again. Oh well. X-wing will be enough to worry about, anyway.

e: uhhhhhhh

https://twitter.com/FFGOP/status/751221182079336448

Finster Dexter fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 8, 2016

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Sure, here's the link to my writeup as of a couple weeks back, I think there's videos out there too.

e: strobe's linked writeup is probably better. my effort, for naught :negative:

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 8, 2016

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Both of those tutorials are out of date. You don't have to do half that bullshit anymore. I'm not even sure you have to download the dials separately, as they are in the List Spawner, I think. And if you aren't using the List Spawner, then it's actually worse than Vassal's interface, which is pretty bad.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

What is this "Tomax + 2" list?

http://www.notsuchabadpilot.com/fahs/fear-anger-hate-suffering-analysis-of-the-nova-meta-vol-2-no-1/

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Tomax and two aces/Defenders.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Worlds tickets idea: Lets use a different (but still terrible) system every day!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I'm away from my PC for about a week so I'll be late on my league game(s). Really sorry guys :(

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
You know what's really obnoxious?

This list:

Maarek Stele (TIE Defender) (35)
Marksmanship (3)
Ion Cannon (3)
TIE/D (0)

Glaive Squadron Pilot (34)
Predator (3)
Ion Cannon (3)
TIE/D (0)

Scimitar Squadron Pilot (16)
Mara Jade (3)
TIE Shuttle (0)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

There are a ton of tiny variations - Vessery, Ryad, Predator vs Marksmanship, Intelligence Agent on the bomber - but the core idea of Mara Jade with very accurate ion cannons is pretty legit. It can straight up prevent the opponent from playing the game.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jul 8, 2016

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I'm more interested in the tractor beam defenders.

TIE Defender: Glaive Squadron Pilot (34)
Crack Shot (1)
Tractor Beam (1)
TIE/D (0)
TIE Defender: Glaive Squadron Pilot (34)
Crack Shot (1)
Tractor Beam (1)
TIE/D (0)
TIE Bomber: · Captain Jonus (22)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)
TIE Shuttle (0)
Systems officer (2)
Fleet Officer (3)

On the first engagement you should have both defenders with TL + focus + rerolls from Jonus on the Tbeams while the bomber still has its own focus. That means every one of your shots will be modified and the focus fire is just brutal. Use crackshot on the first t-beam shot if it will hit and the rest of the damage kind of snowballs.

I flew it against Poe, Red Ace and Ezra. First round of shooting killed Red Ace. Poe survived two more because he blocked one k-turn before he exploded and then my opponent conceded because my Defenders were untouched.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Corbeau posted:

You know what's really obnoxious?

This list:

Maarek Stele (TIE Defender) (35)
Marksmanship (3)
Ion Cannon (3)
TIE/D (0)

Glaive Squadron Pilot (34)
Predator (3)
Ion Cannon (3)
TIE/D (0)

Scimitar Squadron Pilot (16)
Mara Jade (3)
TIE Shuttle (0)

There are a ton of tiny variations - Vessery, Ryad, Predator vs Marksmanship, Intelligence Agent on the bomber - but the core idea of Mara Jade with very accurate ion cannons is pretty legit. It can straight up prevent the opponent from playing the game.

:argh:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Well, signed up for the UK National for X-Wing. Extremely lovely that I had to decide between X-Wing and Armada though :(

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Me too though I don't care about the latter part.

I know what I'm running too, now to practice, a lot.

(For the first time I won't be running ships I've painted at a tourney :()

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/7/5/join-us-for-worlds/

Please fill out the survey re: the clown show registration process. Sadly they don't have a suggestions box, because it would be nice for them to switch to a raffle system as it should be for a fixed price, high demand item.

e: http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/deck-boxes/29383-ug-mini-american-x-wing-card-case-60-black

If anyone knows where you can get the UG mini-american/european size deck boxes, LMK. None of the LGSs I know of stock them or are interested in stocking them. Can't find them in the big online retailers either.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 8, 2016

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Now that regionals season is over, I've been flying whatever sounds fun.

Actually found a double firespray list that I like. 3-1 with it now.

[url]https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Scum%20and%20Villainy&d=v4!s!117:27,-1,-1,178,-1,108:-1:3:;116:170,-1,24,173,17,128:1:25:U.126&sn=Boba%2BKath[/url]

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 9, 2016

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Nationals is in a month I need practice.

Sadly I've not managed to get TTS working yet, and I'm way too new to Vassal to challenge randoms. Anyone wanna walk me through it?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

thespaceinvader posted:

Nationals is in a month I need practice.

Sadly I've not managed to get TTS working yet, and I'm way too new to Vassal to challenge randoms. Anyone wanna walk me through it?

I'm out shopping with the family, but I'd be down for this tonight.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I suspect tonight might cause time zone issues depending on what you mean by that...

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I don't really know. I'll post when I get home. My wife can spend all drat day shopping so I'm out until she's done. :)

Could be half an hour. Could be five or six hours. Who knows? Not me!

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

ConfusedUs posted:

[url]https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Scum%20and%20Villainy&d=v4!s!117:27,-1,-1,178,-1,108:-1:3:;116:170,-1,24,173,17,128:1:25:U.126&sn=Boba%2BKath[/url]

I will give this a spin to justify owning two Firesprays.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

I don't really know. I'll post when I get home. My wife can spend all drat day shopping so I'm out until she's done. :)

Could be half an hour. Could be five or six hours. Who knows? Not me!

No worries. SHout when you're free, if I don't answer I'm asleep.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

thespaceinvader posted:

No worries. SHout when you're free, if I don't answer I'm asleep.

She got done shopping early! So I'm available now. :)

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Haha well looks like spaceinvader was wanting a vassal walkthrough. My bad. I can't do that.

But I'm still up for some TTS wangs. Anyone available? I got a game up.

Goonwangs/lljk

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ConfusedUs posted:

I played in a store champs game against a guy flying Kath/Boba. This was pre- Dengar though, so they had K4s.

Large ships with engine upgrades are just nasty, but especially with Kath rolling the bonus die out the back. You'd think you had the ship on the flank, and then she'd boost to one side and now you're in the bonus die rear firing arc.

Glitterstim is so fun on Boba Fett too, because he just rolls into the middle of the fray for the rerolls and then pops glitterstim for all rounds of attack/defense.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

canyoneer posted:

I played in a store champs game against a guy flying Kath/Boba. This was pre- Dengar though, so they had K4s.

Large ships with engine upgrades are just nasty, but especially with Kath rolling the bonus die out the back. You'd think you had the ship on the flank, and then she'd boost to one side and now you're in the bonus die rear firing arc.

Glitterstim is so fun on Boba Fett too, because he just rolls into the middle of the fray for the rerolls and then pops glitterstim for all rounds of attack/defense.

Agreed on all counts. Glitterstim on Boba when he's in the middle of everyone ups his defense to ludicrous levels.

I think that Dengar is superior to K4 on all counts for Firespays. The Firespray doesn't have enough greens to really be a good carrier for K4. Recon Spec is better, too.

I have 4-LOM on Boba just to gently caress with aces. Homing missiles deny evade tokens. 4-LOM denies a focus. It's a bad day for any fragile ace that gets in Boba's arc.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah sure, that should work for me - so that'll be my Sunday evening, right? Unfortunately I'm getting up at 5:30am the following day, but assuming we don't start too late, it should be OK I think

I'm terrible and forgot to respond to this. What is too late tomorrow? Is starting at 9 pm your time too late?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ConfusedUs posted:

Agreed on all counts. Glitterstim on Boba when he's in the middle of everyone ups his defense to ludicrous levels.

I think that Dengar is superior to K4 on all counts for Firespays. The Firespray doesn't have enough greens to really be a good carrier for K4. Recon Spec is better, too.

I have 4-LOM on Boba just to gently caress with aces. Homing missiles deny evade tokens. 4-LOM denies a focus. It's a bad day for any fragile ace that gets in Boba's arc.

Rec spec is the worst of the three 3-point crew options on a firespray because it eats your action. I think Dengar is better than K4 nowadays, though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Panzeh posted:

Rec spec is the worst of the three 3-point crew options on a firespray because it eats your action. I think Dengar is better than K4 nowadays, though.

I'd say so unless you're using Latts or lots of munitions.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've always thought that recspec was good on firesprays because it's essentially two actions without a stress, useful for offense and defense.

K4 is better if you're doing PTL, because you're greening anyway. Dengar is new and is just better all the way around.

But on its own recspec isn't bad

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

ConfusedUs posted:

I've always thought that recspec was good on firesprays because it's essentially two actions without a stress, useful for offense and defense.

K4 is better if you're doing PTL, because you're greening anyway. Dengar is new and is just better all the way around.

But on its own recspec isn't bad

It's two actions without a stress but requires you to have your action in the first place and want to do focus. I would say two focus tokens is not quite as good as two actions of whatever. For example, you can still focus with Dengar/K4 but you benefit more from it on any individual roll.

K4 and Dengar work even if you bump or go through a rock or are stressed for some reason. Recspec is disabled by these.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dengar is totally the best of the three.

But for me, the need to do greens for K4 makes it worse than recspec. Firespray dial is mediocre at best without limiting it further.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Played a couple games with this list today:

4-LOM (27)
Adaptability (0)
Zuckuss (1)
Accuracy Corrector (3)
Tractor Beam (1)
Mist Hunter (0)

Bossk (35)
"Mangler" Cannon (4)
Boba Fett (1)
Greedo (1)
Dengar (3)

Binayre Pirate (12)

Binayre Pirate (12)

Played against a Kanan/Chewie list and a Ryad/Vessery/Tomax list. The Binayre pirates managed to block in the Ghost while Bossk parked at Range 2 and mowed it down over a few turns.

I still haven't figured out how to best approach the x/7 Defender lists, though, and my blockers got annihilated almost immediately in the second game. It still came down to 4-LOM vs Ryad in the end, with 4-LOM smashing into an asteroid while trying to slip away.

I know I really don't want to joust with Defenders, but I'm not sure how to get around them yet. Any suggestions?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

With defenders you either need lots of attacks to chew through the tokens or ways to deny those tokens.

You can't stop the evade token but you can block them to deny a focus to go with it. Scum crew like zuckuss and 4-lom are also good.

The party bus loadout of zuckuss, 4-lom, and Dengar puts a hurting on anything.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I tried out the new defender titles and my punisher yesterday

I ran
Redline, FCS, autothrusters, plasma torpedoes, cluster missiles, extra munitions
Delta squadron, TIE/X7, TIE mark 2
Onyx squadron, TIE/X7, TIE mark 2

He ran
Contracted Scout with some gubbins I forget
4-LOM, adaptability, cloaking device, auto blaster
Mandolin(?), adaptability, Nashtah pup, tractor beam, unhinged and K4

Neither of us had ran any of these ships before.

I tabled him without loss. I didn't fly brilliantly but the Scout was dead in 3 turns without firing to any effect and the rest followed. The defenders were incredibly hard to hit and intimidating as hell do he ignored the Punisher far too long.

Neither of us are really experienced or skilled but this was brutal for him. I'm going to have to run this again to see how it holds up.

It went against all my instincts to load up the Punisher that much, I usually like to have at least a mini swarm of something on the table and unless it's a tooled up falcon that much on one ship seems very fragile but still.

The TIE mark 2 did help open up the dial a bit but the defenders still felt predictable. Almost every time I didn't focus I felt like I would have been better doing that. Keeping the speed up felt...odd. My shots were longer ranged but with the low PS often had at least a focus behind them. Stress wasn't a big factor for either side either.

Interesting game. But less high powered than you guys tend to play but fun.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

EdBlackadder posted:

I tried out the new defender titles and my punisher yesterday

I ran
Redline, FCS, autothrusters, plasma torpedoes, cluster missiles, extra munitions
Delta squadron, TIE/X7, TIE mark 2
Onyx squadron, TIE/X7, TIE mark 2

He ran
Contracted Scout with some gubbins I forget
4-LOM, adaptability, cloaking device, auto blaster
Mandolin(?), adaptability, Nashtah pup, tractor beam, unhinged and K4

Neither of us had ran any of these ships before.

I tabled him without loss. I didn't fly brilliantly but the Scout was dead in 3 turns without firing to any effect and the rest followed. The defenders were incredibly hard to hit and intimidating as hell do he ignored the Punisher far too long.

Neither of us are really experienced or skilled but this was brutal for him. I'm going to have to run this again to see how it holds up.

It went against all my instincts to load up the Punisher that much, I usually like to have at least a mini swarm of something on the table and unless it's a tooled up falcon that much on one ship seems very fragile but still.

The TIE mark 2 did help open up the dial a bit but the defenders still felt predictable. Almost every time I didn't focus I felt like I would have been better doing that. Keeping the speed up felt...odd. My shots were longer ranged but with the low PS often had at least a focus behind them. Stress wasn't a big factor for either side either.

Interesting game. But less high powered than you guys tend to play but fun.

No Guidance Chips on Redline?!

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

thespaceinvader posted:

No Guidance Chips on Redline?!

Thought with the double target lock and usually a focus I had enough dice mods so went more defensive with autothrusters. Worked out OK but he only got shot at once so could change it.

Let the record state that autothrusters negated that shot though.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

EdBlackadder posted:

Thought with the double target lock and usually a focus I had enough dice mods so went more defensive with autothrusters. Worked out OK but he only got shot at once so could change it.

Let the record state that autothrusters negated that shot though.

I think mathematically, autothrusters is just not as valuable on low-agility ships. On a single die you get a 5/8 chance that your autothrusters are useless (because you rolled an evade or eyeball) and as your agility increases that chance goes down with each die (24% chance of uselessness at agility 3). I can see why you would be happy with the one time it turned a 0 evade defense into a 1 evade defense, but that's doubly less of a big deal on a 9 HP ship. I think I would take Chimps every time.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yep. Insurance against poo poo attacks is better than insurance against poo poo evade.

E: not to mention that Cluster Missiles got a lot worse for Reddles with the new FAQ, so he double-needs the mods now.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Yesterday we had a spring kit event at my local store. 16 players showed up, which is on the low end of average for these events at that store. I didn't end up being able to go because of other commitments through the day, but I dropped off my nephew to play and watched a game or two.

One guy who is a local regular brought his 9 year old son as a competitor. Kid knew all the rules pretty well from playing at home with dad, but I felt bad for the guy who played him in the game I watched. The guy was playing SuperDash '58 and Lothal Rebel with AC/Auto turret. The dude was being very patient with the kid, but at one point I walked over and the guy was there by himself. I asked if the game was over, and he said that the kid wandered off to the bathroom or something. At another point, the kid dropped one red die and it slid underneath some shelving filled with comic books. He dug around for maybe 5-10 minutes trying to find it, delaying the game.

In the end, the game went to time. The guy had half hull on both big ships, and the kid had heavily damaged TIE/D Countess Ryad and a Black Crack remaining (54 points). The guy would have certainly destroyed one or both of the remaining ships with one more turn, but since it went to time he had to take a loss while the kid skated away with a modified win, 50 to 53.

I felt bad for the guy. He was really gracious about it, but I know he had to be thinking that he would have taken a straight win if the kid had been more disciplined by staying at the table. Oh well!

• Locked thread