Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Just let go and embrace the Windows Store :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

There's a GPO to remove Windows store from the taskbar actually

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

orange sky posted:

There's a GPO to remove Windows store from the taskbar actually

Except it only actually works for the enterprise and education versions. I ended up adding it's path to our software restriction GPO to keep it from launching.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know how I can switch an individual user's Office 365 installation from "Deferred Channel" (aka Current Branch for Business) to "Current Channel"? Microsoft sure doesn't want to make this stuff obvious.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Does anyone know how I can switch an individual user's Office 365 installation from "Deferred Channel" (aka Current Branch for Business) to "Current Channel"? Microsoft sure doesn't want to make this stuff obvious.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt455210.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

quote:

The name of the Group Policy setting is Update Channel. You can find this policy setting under Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Microsoft Office 2016 (Machine)\Updates. The relevant choices when you enable the Group Policy setting are Current, Deferred, and FirstReleaseDeferred.

or when you install it you can modify the office install template located at the bottom of that link.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Flashback to my SYSVOL replication issue from earlier in the thread. I fixed the replication issue by doing a non-authoritive sync as per these instructions: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/be907427-1307-4bed-b95a-d0c3942c3dce/sysvol-out-of-sync?forum=winserver8gen

SYSVOL replicates fine now.

Still cant Gpudpate from virtual clients. NPS also cant see any DCs to authenticate RADIUS requests. Something ain't right. I feel like the solution is right around the corner.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Except it only actually works for the enterprise and education versions. I ended up adding it's path to our software restriction GPO to keep it from launching.

Are you sure? I've tried it on a Windows 10 Pro license and it seemed to work. Although that was just under the machines local group policy settings.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Does prestaging a client in WDS override the PXE Response Policy? As in, if I set PXE response to "Do not respond to any client computers" and then prestage a device in the AD prestaged devices pane, will that device then be able to pxe boot to the wds server?

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Are you sure? I've tried it on a Windows 10 Pro license and it seemed to work. Although that was just under the machines local group policy settings.

I could be wrong. I banged my head against trying to manage Win10's start menu so much last week that I might have gotten it mixed up with something else.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/868ea007-9421-44ae-88ba-75106f7b4388/wds-failed-to-process-client-unattend-variables

Posted this after 3 days of research, glad to know the one guy that responded was able to find the same threads as me.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
What's the most agnostic way to get the path of the Downloads folder?

code:
Get-ChildItem $env:USERPROFILE\Downloads

works on our workstations but not via RDS because we redirect folder to
code:
\\contoso.local\dfs\Users\<user>\
And according to .NET
code:
[Environment+SpecialFolder]::GetNames([Environment+SpecialFolder])
Downloads isn't a recognized Special Folder, yet Templates and CommonOEMLinks are?? :iiam:

So I can't use any form of
code:
[Environment]::GetFolderPath("UserProfile")
because that just returns
code:
C:\Users\<user>
And Desktop isn't a recognized SpecialFolder :suicide:

We have a program that shits files into Downloads and I'm trying to clean up after it, in a simple fashion. :eng99:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

SeaborneClink posted:

code:
Get-ChildItem $env:USERPROFILE\Downloads

works on our workstations but not via RDS because we redirect folder to
code:
\\contoso.local\dfs\Users\<user>\
And according to .NET
code:
[Environment+SpecialFolder]::GetNames([Environment+SpecialFolder])
Downloads isn't a recognized Special Folder, yet Templates and CommonOEMLinks are?? :iiam:

So I can't use any form of
code:
[Environment]::GetFolderPath("UserProfile")
because that just returns
code:
C:\Users\<user>
And Desktop isn't a recognized SpecialFolder :suicide:

We have a program that shits files into Downloads and I'm trying to clean up after it, in a simple fashion. :eng99:
Can you look up the registry setting for the path?
code:
(Get-ItemProperty -Path "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\" -Name "{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}")."{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}"

mewse
May 2, 2006

SeaborneClink posted:

Apologies if you saw this already, looks (from my cursory reading) like you need to use SHGetKnownFolderPath rather than GetFolderPath

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10667012/getting-downloads-folder-in-c

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

anthonypants posted:

Can you look up the registry setting for the path?
code:
(Get-ItemProperty -Path "HKCU:\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\" -Name "{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}")."{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}"

Ugly, but a winner. I also meant to post this in the Powershell thread not Enterprise but thank you all nonetheless! :cheers:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there a sane way of managing BIOS/UEFI firmware updates on systems with BitLocker enabled? It seems there's no Windows API calls that can handle the suspension / update firmware / resume encryption steps required to perform an update without requiring a recovery key to be entered.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Surface Pros? My solution was not to deploy firmware :colbert:

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Anyone got some Azure horror stories to tell?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

lol internet. posted:

A dept in the company didn't understand or realize what they were doing and racked up a 250k bill in a single month. Not sure how, happened before I joined the team but it's funny to tell. They had budgeted 50k for the entire year so I'm told.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

lol internet. posted:

Availability Sets are pretty loving goddamn important.

skipdogg posted:

A dept in the company didn't understand or realize what they were doing and racked up a 250k bill in a single month. Not sure how, happened before I joined the team but it's funny to tell. They had budgeted 50k for the entire year so I'm told.

If it's your first time making this unfortunately common mistake you're able to sometimes negotiate.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Question for the thread,

How's everyone finding Windows System Administrator jobs? Everyone seems to want a DevOps/Linux or VMware/CCNA/MSCA Combo :smith:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

By preparing for other fields. I don't know whether there is another 10-15 years in windows admin careers left - at least at today's job availability. I'm studying my GMATs and looking at a cybersecurity degree.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

By preparing for other fields. I don't know whether there is another 10-15 years in windows admin careers left - at least at today's job availability. I'm studying my GMATs and looking at a cybersecurity degree.

This, or learning more about development/software engineering.

Everything is going to be managed largely in code / API in the future. Everyone keeps saying "well the cloud will need administrators, it's just someone elses computer!" but the reality is the majority of those "administrators" will be consuming APIs and PaaS/SaaS. The rest will be such a minuscule amount of the market.

There's a big change coming, that's for sure. Administration will be DevOps-esque, be so incredibly competitive as to be limited to those with some degree of software engineering skill anyways, or be completely eliminated.

Helpdesk will still exist to a degree. But junior, mid, and many senior administrator positions will be gone.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Question for the thread,

How's everyone finding Windows System Administrator jobs? Everyone seems to want a DevOps/Linux or VMware/CCNA/MSCA Combo :smith:

Apply for the VMware/CCNA/MSCA jobs anyways. Most listing are filtered through an HR department that looks for tech buzzwords from other job postings. My first System Admin job wanted an A+/MCSE/College degree. I had none of those and still got the job. Any * admin job is going to require some knowledge of VMware and networking. Putting the certs as a requirement is the lazy way of getting that point across.

Alternatively, get really good at a Windows suite no one wants to be a part of like SCOM, SCCM or SharePoint.

Like others have already said, start getting into DevOps and automation, but for the present tense don't be intimidate by some of those job requirements.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Potato Salad posted:

This both terrifies and excites me. For the people who do keep their skills sharp and learn new tech they'll probably make more money and have better jobs. For all of the standard windows sysadmins though hard times are coming.

I feel like IT is the new nursing of careers. When I was growing up everyone said to go into nursing, limited education requirements, and then you could make bank. I see and hear a ton of stuff now pushing kids into tech with the same sort of study for a bit get rich rhetoric. Theres going to be a lot of unemployed A+ and and a bootcamp people soon.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'm a Windows Admin but am being migrated into more managing all our consultants. We don't have a huge IT staff, so I manage our Microsoft consultants, Cisco consultants, IBM consultants, VMWare, etc.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Potato Salad posted:

I wonder how long people have been saying this exact same thing? It feels like 10-15 years already.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Sickening posted:

I wonder how long people have been saying this exact same thing? It feels like 10-15 years already.

We're hiring an RPG programmer for our AS400. Not all jobs go away 100%.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Sickening posted:

They were saying it when I graduated high school. In 2001.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

And, in fact, IT is more competitive than it was in 2001 [citation needed]

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Financial institutions are going to be steeped in non-Cloud processes and hierarchies for a long, long time.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Financial institutions are going to be steeped in non-Cloud processes and hierarchies for a long, long time.
That's disappointing, but I guess at least they'll still be going paperless soon, right?

Right?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
The Federal Reserve still requires faxing, so what does that tell you?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Trying to stay on topic - what are you using to find positions? Indeed, Craigslist seem reasonable along with Business or Systems Analyst for the tittle.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Tab8715 posted:

Trying to stay on topic - what are you using to find positions? Indeed, Craigslist seem reasonable along with Business or Systems Analyst for the tittle.
Dice and LinkedIn are popular

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Tab8715 posted:

I've considered Craigslist to be a joke for a while, at least here in Texas. Indeed is basically where I look for positions now.

In all honesty though, if you don't have a fleshed out LinkedIn profile you need to get one. Recruiters basically search LinkedIn for people now and call them. My buddy just got a new job about a month ago with a 50% pay rise because someone found him on LinkedIn and called him. He wasn't even looking for a job.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

Dice, LinkedIn, Monster. Update and upload your resume on all of them with keywords related to the field of IT you want to work in. Recruiters look for the latest updated resumes on these services and start calling almost right away. The last time I updated my resume on Dice I received about a dozen back to back calls in a few hours.

Disclaimer - I live in VA/DC/MD where IT jobs grow on trees.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Coredump posted:

Does prestaging a client in WDS override the PXE Response Policy? As in, if I set PXE response to "Do not respond to any client computers" and then prestage a device in the AD prestaged devices pane, will that device then be able to pxe boot to the wds server?

I'm still getting confused on this one. I've set up WDS as stand-alone not integrated with AD in a test environment and production environment. In the test environment, if I set the WDS server PXE Response to "Do not respond to any client computers" then prestaging the client afterwards does not allow the client to pxe boot to wds. However, in production, same setup, the client WILL pxe boot to wds if its prestaged even if the server is set not to respond to pxe. I've checked the boot tab under the prestaged device and each one (test and prod) the boot tab is set to "Use PXE prompt policy from server". I have no clue why one works and why one doesn't.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Are the DHCP forwarders exactly identical between both Prod and Dev/Test in how they're configured?

I assume WDS' version is identical between both (ie. Running on Windows Server 2012 R2). Honestly, I'd assume that it shouldn't work at all as configured. Regardless of being pre-staged, you have PXE response turned off. I'm not sure how it's initiating a PXE session if the thing is disabled.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 11, 2016

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Also, to anyone out there dealing with images and still strapped to Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2, take a look at this:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com...-you-kb3125574/

It's a "convenience rollup" that includes almost every critical/security update through April 2016. For clarity, that's a shitload of updates. This will save an enormous amount of time for image installs and/or rolling installs in a live environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Alright, well I've set both test and prod to "Only respond to known clients" for sanity's sake. I've noticed that specifying a boot image for a prestaged device doesn't seem to work, I've still got to manually select which image I want to use to boot from, capture, lite touch, or install. I disabled the two that aren't being used at the moment, the capture image and lite touch image, but now when my vm boots I see it talking to boot\x86\wdsnbp.com a couple of times even though the architecture is x64. It will eventually pxe boot but I'm not sure why its doing this.