Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Crabtree posted:

Can someone please explain to me how a Flintstones comic can be this good, without simply stating "It's a livin''?

Eh.... It's a livin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Did you guys know that Watchmen was a comic? For sale?!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Crabtree posted:

Can someone please explain to me how a Flintstones comic can be this good, without simply stating "It's a livin''?

Because it's Mad Men in the Stone Age.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Did you guys know that Watchmen was a comic? For sale?!

For some reason, finding out Watchmen originally came out in single issues with delays and such was a huge surprise and got me off of calling everything a Graphic Novel.

It was just a comic book :eek:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also the smiley face imagery is like all Gibbons.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Die Laughing posted:

No, and I think that's part of the reason he left. I remember him complaining about always getting passed up for the Superman books.

IIRC, the rumor mill had it that he was offered an ongoing Superman gig, and that the offer was for some reason rescinded, which was the last straw for Waid's DC tenure.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FoneBone posted:

IIRC, the rumor mill had it that he was offered an ongoing Superman gig, and that the offer was for some reason rescinded, which was the last straw for Waid's DC tenure.

Which reeks of someone wanting him gone, but not wanting the PR headache of being the one to fire Mark freakin' Waid. I can't think of a better way to make him go nuclear than to go "Hey, bro, wanna write Action Comics for a few years- PSYCHE!"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Because if you want to avoid PR problems with Mark Waid, the way to do it is to treat him poorly so he goes off on his own and tells the world precisely how he was treated rather than to tell him straightforward that you're not interested in what he's pitching at the moment.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Teenage Fansub posted:

For some reason, finding out Watchmen originally came out in single issues with delays and such was a huge surprise and got me off of calling everything a Graphic Novel.

It was just a comic book :eek:

Huh I actually never knew that. I had always thought of it as The Watchmen collectively, not like Vol 1 of Moore's run or the Watchmen Omnibus or anything like that, just The Watchmen so I had assumed it had just come out like that, no weekly Watchmen #1-12 or however many there were.

Learning that's kinda weird :stare:.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

:psypop: What have our schools been teaching, if not that Watchmen was a 12-issue limited series with delays that, though now would be considered nothingburgers, got people catty as poo poo at the time?

The cover of each issue was also its first panel.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I had that same thing happen with Long Halloween. For some reason finding out that was released singly and not as a complete graphic novel really surprised me.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Squizzle posted:

:psypop: What have our schools been teaching, if not that Watchmen was a 12-issue limited series with delays that, though now would be considered nothingburgers, got people catty as poo poo at the time?

Most schools in our educational system are going through a bit of an identity crisis nowadays.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dunbar posted:

I had that same thing happen with Long Halloween. For some reason finding out that was released singly and not as a complete graphic novel really surprised me.

It's literally a year long story focused on the holidays of each month, why wouldn't it be a monthly release? It's also a murder mystery, and people were hotly debating the identity of the Holiday killer for the entire year it ran.

Let me just blow some more minds, Kingdom Come was released monthly too.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Squizzle posted:

All American schools teach kids is the Civil War, America punching Hitler, and then maybe your teacher may start rambling about the next Civil War and how they'll succeed where the first one failed. American history classes have a really biased view of history.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Endless Mike posted:

Because if you want to avoid PR problems with Mark Waid, the way to do it is to treat him poorly so he goes off on his own and tells the world precisely how he was treated rather than to tell him straightforward that you're not interested in what he's pitching at the moment.

Or be the editor of a comic that made light of one of their artists killing his wife with a hammer

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

Most schools in our educational system are going through a bit of an identity crisis nowadays.

Oh no. Oh nooooo.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh no. Oh nooooo.

It's been a real lightning rod of controversy, a flashpoint if you will.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Harumph, why do Simon and Jessica have better dialog in Justice League than in their own book?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Space Fish posted:

Harumph, why do Simon and Jessica have better dialog in Justice League than in their own book?

Because GL is runny poo poo were JL was a solid poop.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

bobkatt013 posted:

Or be the editor of a comic that made light of one of their artists killing his wife with a hammer

What the gently caress?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Mr Hootington posted:

The original Flintstones cartoon was a honeymooner ripoff that dealt with some societal problems in a world modeled after post war America. It really isn't surprising that a modern take on the Flintstones is an update of this.

Yeah but most of it was "Goddamn it wilma, stop trying to leave the kitchen". I mean, I think most of the time it was showing Fred being a dumb rear end in a top hat, but I never really sympathized with them. Now though? poo poo, I guess I am Fred Flintstone if he's getting bumed out about his boss telling him the only thing that gives you an afterlife is WORK MORE YOU SERF and his wife getting hassled by goddamn vaping hipsters. The original to this is like, well comparing Honeymooners to Mad Men.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Crabtree posted:

Yeah but most of it was "Goddamn it wilma, stop trying to leave the kitchen".

I thought that was I Love Lucy?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nah. It's Homeymooners. Flintstones might be thought of as cornball today, hocking vitamins, cereal, but it was prime time television. Nearly thirty years later, The Simpsons would become the fresh new animated Honeymooners.

Edit: Fu fact: The first episode was Fred building a swimming pool.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

Nah. It's Homeymooners. Flintstones might be thought of as cornball today, hocking vitamins, cereal, but it was prime time television.
Don't forget cigarettes!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

FoneBone posted:

Waid was reportedly offered the editor-in-chief role at DC shortly before the New 52 reboot, but it ended up going to Bob Harras instead. I'm not sure how he'd have been in the position; he was EiC for Boom for a while and I'm not sure how he was regarded there.

It's a shame, because Waid is a DC guy at heart. Sure, he's done plenty of great work for Marvel, but to my mind he's essentially a DC guy (this is my impression because he has an encyclopedic knowledge of Silver Age DC comics but admitted that he'd never really been a Fantastic Four fan and mainly took that book on because he knew Mike Wieringo was a huge FF fan and he was keen to do another comic together).

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Crabtree posted:

Yeah but most of it was "Goddamn it wilma, stop trying to leave the kitchen". I mean, I think most of the time it was showing Fred being a dumb rear end in a top hat, but I never really sympathized with them. Now though? poo poo, I guess I am Fred Flintstone if he's getting bumed out about his boss telling him the only thing that gives you an afterlife is WORK MORE YOU SERF and his wife getting hassled by goddamn vaping hipsters. The original to this is like, well comparing Honeymooners to Mad Men.

Not surprising at all. The Flintstones were a product of the time and this comic version sounds like a product of our time.

I really need to buy it later today.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

catlord posted:

What the gently caress?

In Christmas with the Super-Heroes 1 there is a comic called Cap's Hobby Hints and it was how to use a hammer and it was suggested by a Lee Travis. Lee Travis was the real name of the Crimson Avenger and the artist of that miniseries recently killed his wife with a hammer.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Waid was reportedly offered the editor-in-chief role at DC shortly before the New 52 reboot, but it ended up going to Bob Harras instead. I'm not sure how he'd have been in the position; he was EiC for Boom for a while and I'm not sure how he was regarded there.

It's a shame, because Waid is a DC guy at heart. Sure, he's done plenty of great work for Marvel, but to my mind he's essentially a DC guy (this is my impression because he has an encyclopedic knowledge of Silver Age DC comics but admitted that he'd never really been a Fantastic Four fan and mainly took that book on because he knew Mike Wieringo was a huge FF fan and he was keen to do another comic together).

Waid has an encyclopedic knowledge of both old school marvel and DC from before he was actually working in comics.

IIRC he had a giant file case full of note cards detailing each characters's history and motivations and poo poo in every comic. One of the examples he had was Namor's first appearance so it definitely extends to Marvel.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

In Christmas with the Super-Heroes 1 there is a comic called Cap's Hobby Hints and it was how to use a hammer and it was suggested by a Lee Travis. Lee Travis was the real name of the Crimson Avenger and the artist of that miniseries recently killed his wife with a hammer.

First post, more information on the actual murder, which is straight out of a Dateline or Law and Order episode.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

DrProsek posted:

Huh I actually never knew that. I had always thought of it as The Watchmen collectively, not like Vol 1 of Moore's run or the Watchmen Omnibus or anything like that, just The Watchmen so I had assumed it had just come out like that, no weekly Watchmen #1-12 or however many there were.

In fact, the tangents that explore the origins of the characters were padding to fulfill the 12 issue contract.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

DrProsek posted:

There's no "The"! :11tea:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Justice League #1 preview
http://www.comicbookresources.com/comic-previews/justice-league-1-dc-comics-2016

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 8, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

How was Justice League Rebirth, by the way?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Story ok if generic, art terrible.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I quite liked the opening narration pages, but the team-up and action was pretty bad.
I liked Hitch's art for the big monster wrecking a city parts, but the characters were real uninspired.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Okay so JL Rebirth still skippable as hell, good to know.

Also I heard everyone on the team were pricks to each other still all N52 JL style? Confirm/deny?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

They seemed a bit hesitant of the new Superman which is to be expected since they just lost their friend and don't know the new guy. But they wanted him on the team. I don't remember them really being dickish at all. I mean Flash made an Aquaman talking to fish joke that actually made me chuckle, so there's that. So I would deny on that.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

X-O posted:

Story ok if generic, art terrible.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

all N52 JL style

If you think that was a thing, you should check check out how well the JLs got along around the mid 2000s.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Lois & Cark parts of JLR #1 were really good, so were the scenes of the League discussing Superman. The rest was pretty much recycled alien invader story but I dug it.