Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Tracula posted:

So what's the strangest place you've seen as a pokestop? Pretty much every church around here is one and best part is the one across the street from our farm is one day was saying Pokémon was satanic when it first came out.

Oh and of loving course near that graveyard I saw Ghastly was available.

I've posted about it before a couple times, but the only gym near me is on a cremation remains dispersal site. And you have to go into it to be in range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

SpaceCadetBob posted:

So whats the deal with friendly gyms.

My wife and I picked team yellow and found a gym that was empty. We both put a poke in, so now it is ours. However there is another yellow gym in town, but the option to add more pokemon to it wouldn't come up wtf? Also when you do the training where you fight with one of your pokemon vs all the ones in it. Does beating your own pokemon make the gym better or worse?

Stupid game. So drat fun though.

When a neutral gym is first claimed, it only has room for one Pokemon. To increase the number of pokemon it can hold, it has to be leveled up, and this is done by increasing the gym's prestige. When friendly trainers beat a gym through sparring (or even just beat some pokemon), it increases its prestige. When enemy trainers beat a gym, it decreases its prestige, which after enough times will decrease the size of a gym (kicking out some pokemon in the process) and eventually turn a gym neutral. So what you need to do to get your wife's pokemon in with yours is for you guys to spar with the gym until it reaches level 2, then she can add one of hers.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Kelp Plankton posted:

If you train at friendly gyms you level them up and increase the number of slots they have for pokemon. The gym didn't let you add any because it was full. So train at it and eventually you will level it up and open more slots

OK, so to level it up I need to beat the pokemon in there? Right now it is way higher CP then I've got so I can't beat it and as such can't help level the gym up. Since the battle is one vs one I guess a good strat would be to keep one really strong poke with you at all times for offense and training.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I'd say it's a good idea to keep your top strongest pokemon with you at all times, and then train up pokemon specifically to be gym guards in addition to that main one who sticks with you

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Tracula posted:

So what's the strangest place you've seen as a pokestop?

There's two different fiber cabinets near me which are marked as pokestops. I guess when there's no actual landmarks around they make do.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Petr posted:

I can already see what their in-app purchase strategy is, and I don't like it. I've got most of my pokeballs from leveling up. Once that slows down significantly, I'm going to be stuck with the 2 or 3 stops I can reasonably get to, getting a few balls from each. It's going to take more and more balls to capture the bigger pokemon. Eventually, I might need to grind for a few days to catch a single one. Bam, Simpsons Clickville or whatever it's called.

Hooray for Google Opinion Rewards! Free Play Credits to spend on IAPs is great.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Game is hosed right now

Who's that Pokémon?

It's Missing No.!

Bottom Liner posted:

What country are you guys in? Here in Florida the game hasn't worked for 9 hours now.

They've been working fine for me almost all day today. I guess they just aren't working in your part. Sorry. :smith:

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

Hooray for Google Opinion Rewards! Free Play Credits to spend on IAPs is great.

Do you need to be playing on an android platform to be able to buy pokecoins with said credits?

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
I just can't comprehend why anyone would join another team besides Team Articuno. Does joining the prettiest bird not matter to some people?

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

Petr posted:

Have you checked to make sure you're still connected? The game doesn't actually tell you when it shits the bed.

Yah I've been keeping an eye on the spinny loading icon and it's been reasonable for the last couple hours. Just went out to water the garden and a Paras popped up though haha.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

PSWII60 posted:

I just can't comprehend why anyone would join another team besides Team Articuno. Does joining the prettiest bird not matter to some people?

blue version is for nerds, red for life

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Do you need to be playing on an android platform to be able to buy pokecoins with said credits?

Yeah. It has to connect to the Google Play Store to see how much credit you have first.

PSWII60 posted:

Zapdos is my favorite, followed by Articuno, but Rafza is Team Moltres, and as I think I said before, I'm on his team in KHUX, so I've seen what he can do, and I'll follow him as he whales his way through a game I'm also playing.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Kheldarn posted:

Zapdos is my favorite, followed by Articuno, but Rafza is Team Moltres, and as I think I said before, I'm on his team in KHUX, so I've seen what he can do, and I'll follow him as he whales his way through a game I'm also playing.

shh nnooo dont reveal my power level

Timboslice
Jan 4, 2008

The whole world must learn of our peaceful ways, by force!
I caught a Doduu with a CP of 132 with Aeriel Ace as his special, then I caught a Dorido with 121 CP and Drill peck at 30.

I have 50 Doduo candy, what's the smartest move to maximise my candies/power ratio?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Petr posted:

Have you checked to make sure you're still connected? The game doesn't actually tell you when it shits the bed.

Yeah it's pretty annoying. Earlier today I could see wild Pokémon but not click on them. A few minutes later the sprites just disappeared and I could only see the ripple animation. Other times I can connect to the servers, but they can't download any data, so I just have a useless Google Maps.

I feel like I'm learning things about mobile game development just by watching various layers of this game deteriorate and fail in novel ways.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So has anyone figured out the maximum speed one can travel before movement doesn't count for hatching eggs?

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Kelp Plankton posted:

blue version is for nerds, red for life

Kheldarn posted:

Well, at least Moltres doesn't look like the plump little fire chicken it used to.

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
There's a gym right near my (pretty out of the way) home that was still unclaimed this morning

Praying that it's still that way when I get back

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I wasn't able to get the Gym at the church by my house, so yellow team jerk got that one, but i was able to grab an unclaimed gym that was at a water town not far from me. As I got back home after claiming the gym, the church gym got taken over by the blue team, as did one other. So of the 5 near my house, 4 are blue, and 1 is red. I've counted 2 yellow players, 5 blue and me as red so far. I really have my work cut out for me.

Also, one of the blue gyms has a CP 326 pidgeot on it, gently caress my life.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

There is a gym only a short distance from my apartment.

It's already claimed by a Yellow Team guy with a Cp 348 Venomoth :psyduck: How is anyone even supposed to fight that?

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Tracula posted:

So what's the strangest place you've seen as a pokestop? Pretty much every church around here is one and best part is the one across the street from our farm is one day was saying Pokémon was satanic when it first came out.

There's a gym on someone's grave near me. The gym is owned by a pidgey, and I would go ruin that if I could get to level 5 anytime soon.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It's already claimed by a Yellow Team guy with a Cp 348 Venomoth :psyduck: How is anyone even supposed to fight that?

Must be the one that took out a Dragonite.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

All the gyms in my town are red so I guess I'm joining red team since I don't know anyone who plays this game.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Type effectiveness + the fact that it's probably going to be 6v1 makes it somewhat easier.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3otBjVZzT0

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
My experience with this game so far has been like attending an orchestral performance of Beethovens 7th, except a few minutes into the second movement, an entire section has an epileptic seizure and the rest of the orchestra doesn't notice so it keeps playing until the conductor cuts everything short and starts the whole thing over.

This goes on for several hours. Each time, a different section starts convulsing at an unexpected moment.

Over the course of these hours, you come to learn a lot about Beethoven's 7th. You leave the concert hall with a strange feeling of satisfaction. You can almost hear the entire symphony in your head, and it's a beautiful idea, but you've really just spent six hours watching the oboe chair frothing at the mouth over and over almost on cue and you can't silence the sneaking suspicion in the back of your head that someone in charge should have had the foresight to not hire 70-100 epileptic musicians at once to perform Beethoven's 7th.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Tracula posted:

One at a park which was normal then I drive home and see one in the middle of a guy's horse farm, hope my town is the first horse kick injury related to this game

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat

So are you a Hufflepuff, a Ravenclaw, or a Gryffindor?

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

jinpachistar posted:

What are the blue bars next to certain moves?

Every Pokemon has two attacks if you look at their profile. Their first and weaker attack is what's used if you just tap your Pokemon repeatedly in battle and takes no time to execute (so immediately). The second and stronger move will have a variety of blue bar lengths, and they get built up during battle the more you attack. Once a complete bar is charged up, you can tap and hold with your finger on the screen to execute that stronger move. A somewhat weak 2nd move like Aerial Ace might have four short bars, and only do slightly more damage but is charged up faster. Stronger 2nd moves like Body Slam might have two long bars to charge, and really strong moves like Fire Blast or Hyper Beam will have one extremely long bar to charge.

What you get as moves is completely random to your Pokemon, and sometimes you might get really good complimentary attack types as your 2nd move. However, sometimes you'll find yourself with the same Pokemon where the stronger CP Pokemon has a shittier 2nd move, and a weaker one has a cooler 2nd move. For instance, I had this problem with Clefairies where the weak one had Moonblast as the 2nd move, but the stronger one had the common Psychic attack that I had no use for because I had plenty of psychic Pokemon already.

Kelp Plankton posted:

If you train at friendly gyms you level them up and increase the number of slots they have for pokemon. The gym didn't let you add any because it was full. So train at it and eventually you will level it up and open more slots

I just came back from running into a bunch of high schoolers playing the game and we were all yellow and as soon as I kicked out a gym, we were all able to add Pokemon in there. My guess as to why the last person said they couldn't add Pokemon is because the gym was probably hit already, but not overtaken. If it works like the beta, fellow team members can't add more Pokemon to a gym's defense once it's been attacked even once by an opposing team.

Timboslice posted:

I have 50 Doduo candy, what's the smartest move to maximise my candies/power ratio?

Catch more Doduo to see if you can get one with a higher starting CP level. If you honestly think you already have a pretty high one, then go ahead and evolve it and spend all your stardust on it to power it up.

Timboslice
Jan 4, 2008

Willsun posted:

Catch more Doduo to see if you can get one with a higher starting CP level. If you honestly think you already have a pretty high one, then go ahead and evolve it and spend all your stardust on it to power it up.

Thanks, what's the benefit to evolving a higher CP Duodo over just leveling up the Dorido I have?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Man, I still can't get in via Pokemon Trainer Club. This bites.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

^ Honestly just start over with Google. I bit the bullet today after PTC login failed to work for the millionth time while Google allowed me in while PTC was down.

Timboslice posted:

Thanks, what's the benefit to evolving a higher CP Duodo over just leveling up the Dorido I have?

I'm totally making up the exact numbers here, but so far an evolution is like maybe a 150-200 CP jump? So if you have a Doduo that started out lovely at like 10 CP and a better one that started out at like 80 CP, they'll be like say 160 and 280 CP after you evolve. However, they'll both have the same limit for number of times you can power them up with stardust. Say you get to do it like 5 times and it nets you +100 CP equally, you'll end up at 260 and 380 CP and you won't be able to power them up anymore until you keep leveling up yourself. So that weak one will be stuck at 260 and there's no way to get it to equal the 380 one no matter how much more stardust you have.

What I'm trying to say is you want to find the highest starting CP Pokemon of the one you want to evolve. Yes, there is a chance you might run into a better one down the road after you evolved the best one you had at the time, but that's how the game goes.

Willsun fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jul 8, 2016

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Tracula posted:

There's not one but three gyms (and like ten poke-stops) in the graveyard down the road from me.

Kiffetastic
Aug 20, 2004

Oooooh Yeeeees!

Mr. Jive posted:

My experience with this game so far has been like attending an orchestral performance of Beethovens 7th, except a few minutes into the second movement, an entire section has an epileptic seizure and the rest of the orchestra doesn't notice so it keeps playing until the conductor cuts everything short and starts the whole thing over.

This goes on for several hours. Each time, a different section starts convulsing at an unexpected moment.

Over the course of these hours, you come to learn a lot about Beethoven's 7th. You leave the concert hall with a strange feeling of satisfaction. You can almost hear the entire symphony in your head, and it's a beautiful idea, but you've really just spent six hours watching the oboe chair frothing at the mouth over and over almost on cue and you can't silence the sneaking suspicion in the back of your head that someone in charge should have had the foresight to not hire 70-100 epileptic musicians at once to perform Beethoven's 7th.

:psyduck:

Also, I envy all you guys that live near/next door to gyms and stops. Despite the fact that I live in a highly populated area, there's absolutely nothing available near me for miles. Terrible.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008
I just joined the discord as Zoroasterisk

Timboslice
Jan 4, 2008

Willsun posted:

^ Honestly just start over with Google. I bit the bullet today after PTC login failed to work for the millionth time while Google allowed me in while PTC was down.

I'm totally making up the exact numbers here, but so far an evolution is like maybe a 150-200 CP jump? So if you have a Doduo that started out lovely at like 10 CP and a better one that started out at like 80 CP, they'll be like say 160 and 280 CP after you evolve. However, they'll both have the same limit for number of times you can power them up with stardust. Say you get to do it like 5 times and it nets you +100 CP equally, you'll end up at 260 and 380 CP and you won't be able to power them up anymore until you keep leveling up yourself. So that weak one will be stuck at 260 and there's no way to get it to equal the 380 one no matter how much more stardust you have.

What I'm trying to say is you want to find the highest starting CP Pokemon of the one you want to evolve. Yes, there is a chance you might run into a better one down the road after you evolved the best one you had at the time, but that's how the game goes.

Hey thanks, that clears things up.

Can i upgrade them the 5 times then evolve and upgrade a further 5? Or is it unique to each pokemon?

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

The number of times you can power up a Pokemon isn't interrupted by evolving. The limit cap is set by what level you, the player, is at. It doesn't matter if you do the stardust powering up before or after the evolution. When you look at your Pokemon individually, you'll see like a white ring/circle/arc around them and the solid white fills up that arc as you power up. Once it reaches the end, you won't be able to power up anymore. When you level up, the solid white will be pushed back some to show you that you can power them up a few more times.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Pakled posted:

Type effectiveness + the fact that it's probably going to be 6v1 makes it somewhat easier.

So if he has a level 300 and I have six level 100s, I could still possibly take him out?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Kyrosiris posted:

There's not one but three gyms (and like ten poke-stops) in the graveyard down the road from me.

What the gently caress is it with this game and graveyards

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tracula posted:

People submitted various "landmarks" for portals, and things like churches and graveyards got approved a lot, I think. Post offices and the like too, but, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Tracula posted:

From what I'm aware the game uses a lot of Ingress's stuff and places of religious importance were popular hits in that game.

• Locked thread