Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (June 14, 1951)

Barnaby (November 19, 1942)

Nancy (July 29, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (April 11, 1929)

Barney Google (April 27, 1922)

Lil' Abner (December 24, 1936)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

I like Ziggy. I like the old ones, I like the new ones. There's something I just always find amusing about this character who is constantly being persecuted (by other people, by inanimate objects, by animals, by god, and by life itself) who remains optimistic and never quite seems to understand whether or not he's the butt of a joke. He's always vaguely aware that there's something going on that he doesn't quite understand, and he doesn't know how to feel about it or react.

Must be strange seeing so much of yourself in character from a bad newspaper comic.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

I always like when Griffith does these strips about kitschy Americana. I wonder what the story is on the hot buttered sandwiches place, google couldn't tell me anything about it.

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Sharay
Apr 19, 2008

The Swedish Number was, however, a limited-time thing that has already expired. If for some reason you wanted to talk to a random idiot swede (such as myself) you missed your chance.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I'm pretty sure everyone who worked retail has at one point or another hoped to get just hurt enough to have to miss work but not hurt enough to cause long-term problems.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

I fractured my heel about five weeks ago and for the first few weeks, I had to use crutches. Crutches are evil. I now use a walker instead.

So what I'm I'm saying is, "gently caress crutches".

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Kingdom posted:

I fractured my heel about five weeks ago and for the first few weeks, I had to use crutches. Crutches are evil. I now use a walker instead.

So what I'm I'm saying is, "gently caress crutches".

You're supposed to bear the weight with your arms, not your armpits.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis

Hey, jski14, I'm coming to kick your loving rear end.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Wanamingo posted:

You're supposed to bear the weight with your arms, not your armpits.

I did. They still suck.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Oh, it's WRECK was found off the coast. I was thinking it just showed up.
That's boring.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze is ~so wacky~!

"A movie came out." -- Working Daze, at least once a week.

Sharay posted:

The Swedish Number was, however, a limited-time thing that has already expired. If for some reason you wanted to talk to a random idiot swede (such as myself) you missed your chance.
There's still the official Sweden Twitter account that rotates amongst citizens though.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Dun-dun-dunnnnnn!

Rex Morgan MD

Edit: I just now noticed this appears to be the same panel copied with some small changes. I don't think that's normal for RMMD.

Secret Agent X-9

I don't really understand why they need to beat them to shore, but laws can be weird like that. Like how sometimes if the US Coast Guard or whatever catches a boat person at sea they can send them back, but as soon as they've touched shore they can't because they're a refugee.

Apartment 3-G

Good. End this stupid storyline.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 7, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Johnny Walker posted:

Good. End this stupid storyline.

Isn't that...every 3-G storyline? Will the next one really be any better?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

WickedHate posted:

Isn't that...every 3-G storyline? Will the next one really be any better?
I hope for "entertainingly bad" more than anything. I had high hopes for this one, what with the feminists in the context of 1970 and all, and I was disappointed. Maybe I need to lower my expectations. And accept that all newspaper comic strip storylines go on too long.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

They can't say Guillermo del Toro, but they're totally talking about Guillermo del Toro. At least they did their homework, he is very much the kind of person who would do that.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

The horror comics and the ability to give money to the Morgans for no loving reason by proxy must've touched his greasy heart.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

YES! THE KING OF COLORIST gently caress UPS!
Look closely at the donation jar. The colorist deleted the letter "l" from "help" and the letter "o" from "our". You can still see the empty white patch that was once the center of the "o".

Horrors of the Elder Gods Comics

Stereotypes Hurt Comics

Low Achieving Comics

David Dees Comics

Seven Deadly Sins Comics

Best Comics

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

quote:

Well its is probably pretty clear that Leslie may be running a scheme for the “youth program” and in fact Bernice questions it, which she tends to do. She should become a prosecutor after law school or an FBI agent. Luann of course is trusting. Gunther is kind, which is part of Tiffany’s apparent attraction for him (I am gradually coming around to her at least being attracted to him, I don’t know about him to her yet) and Ox is trusting as well. I love the characters, Ox and I believe Knute being Laurel and Hardy, Gunther and Tiffany with the magician and sexy assistant act, and Luann and Bernice with the head, little brain act. I think they all will be funny, but there are so many scenario’s that can still happen. This is nicely drawn single panel, with ms. sexy right in the center.

quote:

Now, Now, Folks. Let’s give poor Les a Chance! He may have just forgotten to TELL His Pushy Uncle and Those NOSY DeGroot Slave Drivers, that He’s Taken it upon Himself, out of the Goodness of His heart, to ‘Help’ the Poor Youths in Pitts, because He’s DOESN’T want THEM, to End of Like Him.
Just because He’s made One, or Two or Three, or Several Dozen ‘mistakes’ in His life, it doesn’t Give Us the Right to Pre-Judge Him. If You called Law Enforcement In, They’d only say that while “Mr. Knox Showed Carelessness and Poor Judgement, in His Collection Methods, We can Attach No Criminal Wrong-Doing to His Actions and No Charges Will be Filed. Thank You for WASTING Our Time!”
NOW, Let Us go about Our Day with a SMILE Knowing That Our Country’s Future Is Secure with Such Fine Young Men It!
Hey! Anybody Seen My Wallet?!!?

quote:

“D’oh! Nation”
“Chari-tease”
“Giving All Of Her? Hardly!”
“Tell Laura Laurel I Love Her Him” (♬)
“Five’ll Getcha Ten To Life”
“Programs And Cons”
“An ’Off’er’ They Can’t Re-Fuse”
“A Robbery In The Lobby”
“Fools And Their Money”
“Donate-gate”
“The Real Follies”
“On Talent Night, Some Acts Don’t Take The Stage”
or
“Fleece Is The Word” (♪)

oh also fort knox

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Odonata posted:

David Dees Comics

:stare: Methinks you can probably drop the "Descent into" part of your usual Ziggy descriptor.

Kumaton
Mar 6, 2013

OWLBEARS, SON
I don't know why, but the guy who takes it upon himself to come up with a dozen titles for Luann strips brings up some sort of primal revulsion and anger in me that I wasn't aware I could muster.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Kumaton posted:

I don't know why, but the guy who takes it upon himself to come up with a dozen titles for Luann strips brings up some sort of primal revulsion and anger in me that I wasn't aware I could muster.

He's the worst. He's the absolute worst.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
You Bastard! (Indolent Bastard.)

Dream of the Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

:stonklol:

Outbursts of Everett True

And He Did.

Guess If They Are Married!

Whoops Sisters
About this time the Sisters ended up on the cover the The New Yorker:

Arno also did these in 1926/1927, which I rather like:

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Dave’s Delicatessen (click for big)

Mopsy

Feiffer (click for big)

Jaf

Wee Pals (click for big)

Mr. Tweedy

Andy Capp (click for big)

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Kumaton posted:

It's so weird. I mean, I guess it is nominally creative.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Pogo (July 7-9, 1958)

Peanuts: Year Five (February 28-March 2, 1955)

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Kumaton posted:

Something about it reminds me of the foreverially delitized guy. It's like the same level of obsession and fixation on something so trivial

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Kumaton posted:

I'm just really curious about his life. What is an average day like for the kind of person that comes up with a long list of titles for every single Luann strip and present it to the public every single day? He's fascinating in a "primal revulsion and anger" kind of way.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Odonata posted:

Okay, I know Gasoline Alley has the oldest readers of all the comic strips, but are they seriously going to spend a full week reenacting a Jack Benny bit?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

RandomFerret posted:

Okay, I know Gasoline Alley has the oldest readers of all the comic strips, but are they seriously going to spend a full week reenacting a Jack Benny bit?

Gasoline Alley has done this exact bit with this exact homage character multiple times now.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set just wants seconds.

Working Daze runs in heels.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix only has one thing on its mind. :pervert:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann comments are always so reliably... I don't even know how I feel about them. But I know I can't not take a peek at them whenever I post the strip.

Phantom Classic

In other words, one of them just peed.

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

WickedHate posted:

Gasoline Alley has done this exact bit with this exact homage character multiple times now.

God drat. I'd say let the dead rest, but this is the current writers of Gasoline Alley we're talking about.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

He can probably get a thesis out of "The Mysterious Giant Labels of South Central Asia."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

On thing we can still enjoy about Mark Trail - Rusty getting left behind whenever Mark goes anywhere and ignored whenever Mark's at home.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

SomeMathGuy posted:

Pearls Before Swine

I wonder if newspaper comics will ever stop using domestic abuse as a punchline?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

"I was in a hot, damp cave and thought of you :h:"

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Odonata posted:

My gut reaction was a lot of ':rant:Jesus Christ on a two-stroke engine moped, leaving aside the point that Dionysius Exiguus won't be coming up with the A. D. dating system for a few more centuries (and that Nero's name is in English)*, why in the name of gently caress would Nero base the year around the then-tiny Christian sect - whom he allowed to be the scapegoats for the fire in 64 and used as human tiki torches in his garden consequently -- dude was so mean to the Christians that even Tacitus, who didn't like Nero, though he'd gone too far with that one, and arrgghhhh:rant:'

then I saw the size of the coin relatively speaking to Gildersleeve's thumb there, and realised, oooooh, it's just a chocolate coin, and matey is taking the piss. Early mornng zen reachieved.

Carry on.

* I know -- in Gasoline Alley's world, Jesus spoke English, &c.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (June 15, 1951)

Barnaby (November 20, 1942)

Nancy (July 30, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (April 12, 1929)

Barney Google (April 28, 1922)

Lil' Abner (December 25, 1936)

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

treasureplane posted:

Nancy (July 30, 1943)

:stonk: Jesus Christ. :stonk:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

:stonk:By Will Eisner's dong! It really is the bastard offspring of Seth MacFarlane and John K!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

Witness the shrewd negotiating skills of noted talent scout and barn lawyer Sam Driver.

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

• Locked thread