Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

sweeperbravo posted:

that's the exact part, IMO, that turns the message from "i'd like to genuinely thank you and pay you back in a meaningful way" to "i used to be more racist against your people, but you still have holes right he he"

I didn't feel that it was a sexual innuendo.
Still stdh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Leavemywife posted:

More like oldcashless.

:q:

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Agreed. My takeaway was "I never thought Muslims were like real people until one literally bought my respect, so I guess they're not all horrible!"

Love that that one came out so close to Ramadan's end as well.

And on the off chance I'm not the only Muslim who enjoys perusing this thread,
Eid mubarak! May we all get to guzzle our body weights in coffee to make up for a month of morning commutes without coffee.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Kajeesus posted:

That's not the message at all and it's kind of weird you'd jump to that conclusion.

idk, "i'm sure you won't let me" seems to me to imply some sort of touching because she was visibly religious :shrugs: and for all the stdh there is, "racist guy retains some racism and misogyny after a positive encounter with someone from the intersection of such groups" is pretty believable IMO :) like you have this dudebro making what could have been a poignant post undercutting it by making a joke at the end just to remind you, naw man, he didn't go soft, he's still a tough guy

eh, even if we disagree on the meaning of that last turn of phrase, i think we can agree it is a dumb stdh

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Non Serviam posted:

Still stdh

It's STDH anyway but I read it as more "I'd pay you back for your kindness but I'm sure you wouldn't let me because people who are legitimately giving and generous to total strangers would never expect, much less accept, compensation for their generosity".

Also Eid mubarak ibntumart :toot: get y'all eat on.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

sweeperbravo posted:

idk, "i'm sure you won't let me" seems to me to imply some sort of touching because she was visibly religious :shrugs: and for all the stdh there is, "racist guy retains some racism and misogyny after a positive encounter with someone from the intersection of such groups" is pretty believable IMO :) like you have this dudebro making what could have been a poignant post undercutting it by making a joke at the end just to remind you, naw man, he didn't go soft, he's still a tough guy

eh, even if we disagree on the meaning of that last turn of phrase, i think we can agree it is a dumb stdh

She refused to let him reimburse her for the groceries. He feels he owes her, but doubts she'll let him pay her back because she already refused it once, and people who do something out of genuine generosity don't expect to be paid back. It's not all that puzzling.

But yeah it's a dumb stdh. They all are.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.
Eid mubarak, ibntumart! Thanks to you, I learned some stuff about Ramadan. (I think it's cool that there are a bunch of reasonable exceptions for the fast.)

In celebration, have this lengthy NAR post! Truly a feast for the eyes of terrible customer service.

The Final One Word On The Matter posted:

(My boss is wonderful. As a result of far too many stories like the ones on this site, he directs his staff to use one word responses when a customer gets unreasonable, and to hit the ‘panic’ button — a monitor that pipes the conversation through to him. Conversations like this still happen, but at least it’s all handled.)

Customer: “This is ridiculous! I had to wait in line for 15 minutes! Why couldn’t you serve me earlier?”

Me: *hit the button* “Sorry, sir. There were other people in front of you. How can I help you?”

Customer: “Give me a [Product], and I want a 20% discount!”

Me: “Sorry, sir, I can’t do that, and there is no reason to; this is normal business. Waiting in line is an everyday matter.”

Customer: “Yes, you can. Give it to me or I’ll have your job!”

Me: *going into DefCon mode* “Can’t.”

(This is where my boss’s one-word strategy works so well. Irate customers can easily ignore a sentence, but it’s hard to mis-hear a single word.)

Customer: “Can’t? Of course you can! What do you mean, can’t?”

Me: “Can’t.”

Customer: “Why not?”

Me: “Orders.”

Customer: “Whose orders?”

Me: “Boss.”

Customer: “Well, get me your boss then!”

Me: “Okay.”

(My boss comes out.)

Customer: “This employee was being extremely rude to me! I demand my purchase for free, or at least with a big discount!”

Boss: “No.”

Customer: “No? What do you mean, no? She was being rude!”

Boss: “Not rude.” *okay, sometimes you have to use two words*

Customer: “Yes, she was!”

Boss: *points to monitor* “Monitor.”

Customer: “What?”

Boss: “Heard you.”

Customer: “So?”

Boss: “Not rude. No discount.”

Customer: “The customer is always right! Why not?”

(Once we get to this point, my boss has a standard spiel.)

Boss: “Five good reasons.”

Customer: “Huh?”

Boss: “Five good reasons why you’re not getting a discount.”

Customer: “What? What are they?”

Boss: “One: I don’t have to. Two: I don’t want to. Three: There’s no reason I should. Four: You can’t make me. Five: I’m not going to.”

Customer: “I’m never coming here again!”

Boss: “You should have said that before. If you’d have said that if I gave you a discount, you would promise to never come back, I might have given it to you.”

(The customer left. Case closed.)

"Give me a [Product]!" :argh:

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

curious lump posted:

No one gives a gently caress, and no one gives a gently caress about transsexuals. Here's some poo poo that didn't happen: someone cared. Shut the gently caress up.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
:laffo:

Furia posted:

I need something to read so sure, but I don't have pm's since I am a filthy poor so uhhhh... Can you hook me up nonetheless? I always like to know more about everything.

I'm also interested in figuring out how it works out when everyone has a different goal and the goals contradict each other. I mean, I'm sure with time things will be figured out but I'm interested.

Captain Monkey posted:

I'd actually like to read your thoughts on drag and cis/trans women, I have very little experience with drag outside of the media and it sounds interesting. I have pms, but I'm sure the thread could also support a little derail.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

One of the things I enjoy about PYF is the educational derails that form from some posts, I'd like to hear more too.
In the interest of not derailing the thread too badly with a wall of text, here's a link to something I've posted about this before.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Mohammed receiving the final revelation. STDH.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

ibntumart posted:

And on the off chance I'm not the only Muslim who enjoys perusing this thread,
Eid mubarak! May we all get to guzzle our body weights in coffee to make up for a month of morning commutes without coffee.

Eid mubarak to you, friend.

edit: Here's a fresh STDH

quote:

I was perusing my favorite website forum today, minding my own business, when all of a sudden, someone posted some weird moslem stuff.

As a white male who isn't afriad he LOVES his country, I have to say I am offended.

OFFENDED.

I immediately posted "GO BACK TO ISLAMASTAN YOU FILTHY MUSTLEM!" and my post instantly got shared in twitter and facebook for three hundred thousand likes and shares.

how dare the people that run the site let this anti american s*** happen unpunished?!?! I WORK for a living and they just come over to blow us up.

They dont pay taxes or anything. I was so mad when i saw what was obviously muslin HATE SPEECH that my protective side took over and i immediately called homeland security. They said they saw it and that "eid mubarak" means "death to america" and that they were glad i told them.

I just got a call from the homeland security guy about it and he said they caught the musselm and had him deported back to wherever he came from. His last words as he got on the boat were "i am so sorry god bless america"

Afterwords I was given the contressional metal of honor, a million dollars, and they let me pick a celebrity to go on an all expenses date with. I get to go pick up bernadette peters at six tonight and we are going to cracker barrel and i swear to god if there isnt enough sausage in the SAUSAGE gravy like last time i will call border patrol and have them DEPORTED>

GOD BLESS AMERICA

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 19:43 on Jul 6, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

oldpainless posted:

This is egregious

Oldpainless? More like oldhumorless.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Eid mubarak to you, friend.

edit: Here's a fresh STDH

Here's one that did happen, for all the muslamic infidels out there with their ray guns.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjuNuqIev8M

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Nyarai posted:

Eid mubarak, ibntumart! Thanks to you, I learned some stuff about Ramadan. (I think it's cool that there are a bunch of reasonable exceptions for the fast.)

In celebration, have this lengthy NAR post! Truly a feast for the eyes of terrible customer service.

"Give me a [Product]!" :argh:

eh, I can relate.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Nyarai posted:

The one word policy just makes them sound like cavemen.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
:argh: You Messicans come over here stealing all the convenience store jobs. Yo quireo uno [ producto ]
:ese: Uno Producto? I got you fam:
:argh: Wait, you speak English?
:ese: Yes, I've been in America for 30 years after leaving Chile.

:clint::hf::clint:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Weatherman I'll pay you three internet dollars to follow oldpainless around for a day and post 'oldpainless more like old____less' every time he says something

I already do it for free :confuoot:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Weatherman posted:

I already do it for free :confuoot:

Do it for a week and get one of those sweet extra-long mod avatars

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

CannonFodder posted:

:argh: You Messicans come over here stealing all the convenience store jobs. Yo quireo uno [ producto ]
:ese: Uno Producto? I got you fam:

:argh: Wait, you speak English?
:ese: Yes, I've been in America for 30 years after leaving Chile.

:clint::hf::clint:

Andate a la chucha weon.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

From the mouths of babes

Tritanomalicious
Mar 14, 2008

A dog, A barrel... RIDICULOUS!
"My coworkers told HR that I have mental problems because I think and act as though I do"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Non Serviam posted:

Still stdh

Wasn't it because it was listed in the CL missed connections section?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

TBF, paying attention to this year's election can cause severe mental illness.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Fedora

quote:

In light of some actual, sincere moments worthy of the moniker of Awesome, I'm going to respectfully tone this one down to a Crowning Moment of Timing - I was in Disney World on a marching band trip in high school, walking around with a buddy of mine, looking for other friends. I decided to hop up onto a cement embankment to get a better look; and, at that precise moment, the ubiquitous background music they have playing constantly in those theme parks swelled dramatically. The best part? I was wearing my recently-purchased Indiana Jones-branded fedora.

6'4"

quote:

This troper's brother had his crowning moment of awesome (in this troper's opinion) when he was in 5th year in secondary school. This troper was 12 at the time, had just started secondary school and was being bullied mercilessly by a guy in her class for being a loner/nerd/freak/four-eyes/fatty/swot/teacher's pet (This troper has the unfortunate combination of book smarts, a slight weight problem and glasses.) One day while my class waiting outside the P.E hall for the teacher to come, said bully began verbally abusing me. Nobody said anything to him about it, I'd given up telling him to leave me alone, a complaint to several teachers hadn't made him stop. I was just about to resign myself to 5 years of hearing this jerk insult me everytime I turned around. And then some 5th year students passed by on their way to another class. One was my brother. At home, we never stop fighting but upon seeing this jerk making his little sister upset, my brother (who is 6'4) picked the jerk up by his shirt collar, held him more than a foot off the ground for a full minute, leaned in real close and said quietly through bared teeth "Leave my sister alone." (For extra effect everyone else hade gone quiet, so that my brother's whispered ultimatum echoed throughout the hallway. Plus my brother has two extra canine teeth. They look like actual vampire fangs. He refuses to get them removed.) The jerk was suitably freaked out. He never dared bother me again.

Pencils

quote:

THIS has to be one of the BEST crowning moments of awesome EVER. When I was in junior school, sixth year, some guy completly high on drugs tries to break into the school (to steal pencils to 'defend himself from zombies'). While the head was trying to phone the police, the other teachers where trying to keep the kids in the classrooms, my class bursts out through the back exit of the classroom and round the back stairs to see what's going on. Led by me, my friend Georgia, a boy called Dave and my best friend Chloe, we plotted the best way to drive this guy out. We snuck down the stairs and, with me at the front, the rest of the class went into a V shape and charged this guy. We pounced on him, dragged him to the floor, kicked him into submission and stood gaurd. At one point the guy got up and grabbed a smallish girl in my class. I wasn't taking any poo poo from some wierdo, so I pounced on him and sunk my teeth (yes, I broke skin) into his ear and dragged him onto the ground. We then chased him into the stationery cupbord and guarded the door until the police arivved. He thought he'd been attacked by evil anthropomorphic animals (of whom I was the ring-leader) and was completly terrified of us. Especially me. I was 'the evil purple panther girl' who had ripped a chunk out of his ear. And I'm normally the shy one who hides in the background.
And do you know what's really crap about it? We were sworn to secrecy by the police so that people wouldn't think that a bunch of 10-11 year olds could do a better job than the police.

Huggy Wipes

quote:

This troper had a CMOA (in his opinion) when... well the story goes like this:
After being expelled from several schools I was sent to some "richy" school. On the bus some rear end in a top hat taunted me about having huggy wipes. (I couldn't properly well....ya) So after about 10 or so minutes of it I couldn't take his poo poo anymore. He said as a last line "Your some kind of baby right?" I simply gave him a blank stare. He retorted to it with "don't just sit there do something!" Having the huggy wipes box in my hands, I proceded to beat the living crap out of him with it via bashing his skull with it. The best part is he pleaded for me to stop. Screaming "STOP STOP! SOMEONE GET THIS KID AWAY FROM ME!"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the best part was when I bashed a guy's skull in and he was begging for mercy, hi I'm a serial killer.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

quote:

my brother (who is 6'4) picked the jerk up by his shirt collar, held him more than a foot off the ground for a full minute

This troper doesn't know how long a minute is.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

the best part was when I bashed a guy's skull in and he was begging for mercy, hi I'm a serial killer.

With a box of poopy diapers, (coz I hadn't learned to wipe my arse properly), no less.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

This troper doesn't know how long a minute is.

Ya. The overall story is quite plausible (my brother and I don't get along, but he saw me getting bullied and threatened the guy) but, like all troper tales, had to be exaggerated beyond believability.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wait, is it implied that the troper couldn't wipe their own rear end because of their size? Confused about the need for the wipes.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

I'm the girl who led an assault on a drug addict, bit him so hard I broke skin, and was sworn to secrecy by the police because of how good of a job I did.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
And that police officer's name was

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ytlaya posted:

Wait, is it implied that the troper couldn't wipe their own rear end because of their size? Confused about the need for the wipes.

yea I'm not sure what the implied 'ya know' means there. Like, huggy wipes are baby wipes right? This wasn't some medical diaper thing, I genuinely have no clue why someone would NEED baby wipes.

I just love these troper tales because they're such amazing insights into the writers' minds. These total bullshit stories made up to be 'crowning moments of awesome' are things like 'so yea I got expelled a bunch and on the way to one school some dude made fun of me needing baby wipes for some reason so I bashed his skull in with the box as he screamed for mercy. I guess you can say I'm a pretty cool guy'.

Why would you do that? We all know these are lies, why would you make up a story where you're such a psychopath?

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Because they desperately crave attention and validation and the only way they can get it is by turning their life into an anime.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Why would you do that? We all know these are lies, why would you make up a story where you're such a psychopath?

Because in their animes sociopathy is lighthearted and accepted and a trait of genius or something

I'll never quite grasp when or why being a broken person became/is cool

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I always enjoy stories about drugs, drug dealers, drug addicts, etc where it's obvious about three sentences in that the person is just reciting stories from DARE.

The guy was on DRUGS because he wanted PENCILS to defend himself from MONSTERS and that's why I BIT HIS EAR OFF

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think a story says a lot more about you than you think it does when you open it with "I keep getting expelled from schools and I need to carry a box of wipes around with me because I can't properly clean my rear end with toilet paper."

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Huggy Wipes posted:

After being expelled from several schools I was sent to some "rich" school. On the bus some rear end in a top hat taunted me about having huggy wipes. (I couldn't properly well....ya)

"Call me Ishmael" for our times

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I always enjoy stories about drugs, drug dealers, drug addicts, etc where it's obvious about three sentences in that the person is just reciting stories from DARE.

The guy was on DRUGS because he wanted PENCILS to defend himself from MONSTERS and that's why I BIT HIS EAR OFF

When he proudly stated he broke the skin all I could think was "enjoy hepatitis"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Khazar-khum posted:

Huggy Wipes

From the point of view of "the rear end in a top hat"

I was sitting on the bus when I noticed an 11th grader a few seats up was carrying what looked like a diaper bag. "Hey man," I asked, "what's with the diaper bag? Some kind of class project?" All of a sudden he went bonkers and started swinging it around and yelling. I felt kind of bad for setting him off because during his tantrum he ripped one of the buttons off his silk Hatsune Miku shirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Furia posted:

Because in their animes sociopathy is lighthearted and accepted and a trait of genius or something

I'll never quite grasp when or why being a broken person became/is cool

Sociopathy is treated as cool in tons of media other than anime