Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Tiptoes posted:

I can't even trust Jordan Matthews at his current mid-round ADP anymore than their other guys. He's their "#1" but all of his production comes out of the slot and I would guess they're going to use 3 WR formations a lot less than Chip Kelly did.

I'm pretty sure a guy who clowned the SEC from the X will be better suited to play on the outside than nelson agholor and josh huff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm a big homer mark for my boy Dougie but there's no way he's touching 14 touchdowns again. Heed Spoenak's advice.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!

Papes posted:

I'm pretty sure a guy who clowned the SEC from the X will be better suited to play on the outside than nelson agholor and josh huff.
But NFL coaches seem to view him best as a slot option. Chip Kelly hand-picked him and used him exclusively in the slot. And while Doug Pederson talked about experimenting with him on the outside more, that appears to have not been as successful as they were hoping for in practices.

""Philadelphia Inquirer" posted:

THIS WAS DOUG Pederson in March when asked about using wide receiver Jordan Matthews less in the slot and more on the outside: "I think he can play outside. I'm going to look at him outside as we go through this spring. With his skill set, I think he can play both (inside and outside)."
This was Pederson Friday when asked the same question about Matthews: "Jordan, again, he's been good on the outside. (But) he's better inside, because he's got that big body and he knows how to sort of use it in space.
Pederson and his staff have not made any etched-in-stone decisions on anything. But they clearly have developed some early impressions. Judging by what he said Friday, one of them would seem to be that the Eagles might be best served keeping Matthews in the slot.
Again, it's early and things could change. The media have been allowed to watch only three of the team's spring practices. But for the most part, Matthews has lined up inside. When the first unit has lined up in two-wide-receiver sets, it's usually been with Nelson Agholor and Josh Huff.
There's also Rueben Randle who should see plenty of time as one of their outside options; he was recovering from gallbladder surgery and missed the first part of OTAs. And from what I've read, they've liked what they have seen out of Chris Givens in practices. His speed could win him a role as a deep threat option. This WR corps feels a lot more jumbled to me than just "Jordan Matthews plus a bunch of poo poo." The article is speculative and does expect guys to be moved around more but it still feels like Matthews is going to be used best as a big-bodied slot guy like a Marques Colston-type.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks
Hey, apparently it's time for my yearly "Find a replacement owner for my crazy IDP dynasty league during the worst part of the preseason and on a short deadline" post.

Up for grabs is this team which was league champ in 2013, and lost the championship last year despite a very strong showing. Its previous owner is inexplicably MIA despite being one of the most active members of the league, so it's only with great reluctance I seek his replacement.

Things you gotta know:
1. Keeper selection deadline is Sunday, 7/10. You'll pick 20 from your current roster and cut the rest.
2. Slow/email draft begins 7/17. Draft is rookies & FAs, and will be 17 rounds. Last year's was 12 rounds (stupid league voted to expand rosters by 5 during offseason, grumble grumble) and it took just under a week, mostly due to unfamiliarity.
3. No entry fee and no awards - you have to WANT to play in this crazy league just for the hell of it
4. I sorta prefer someone that'll pop into league chat sometimes and post some BS, not just do basic week-to-week team management and ignore trade emails & the waiver wire
5. Rules are here if you want to know about roster requirements / scoring
6. You have to put up with Azhais in yet ANOTHER league

Email me if you're interested or have any questions.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Oh my God those rbs

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
7/10 deadline? :negative:. I'm in California on vacation, I'll try to log in on my phone or something

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

Azhais posted:

7/10 deadline? :negative:. I'm in California on vacation, I'll try to log in on my phone or something

I WARNED YOU

Phone should be doable, if not just send me a list of 20 losers on your team & I'll handle the rest. I might not even mess up one or two guys, especially if you stop by and bring me some beer

Spoeank posted:

Oh my God those rbs

Yes. Revel in the insanity that is my league. You'll be going off the deep end of the wire.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
I renewed the Goon Money League and posted a new thread for this year. We usually have 3-4 people drop out from year to year, so feel free to grab a spot on the waitlist if you're interested!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3782301&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post461787137

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?
Is there any consensus this year on where the best draft slot is? I have a choice in my main league, and I'm considering a mid-late slot, maybe 7th (of 12), I can pick up Lamar Miller and then maybe someone in the lower stud tier WR on the back end-maybe someone like AJ Green or Mike Evans.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

von Metternich posted:

Is there any consensus this year on where the best draft slot is? I have a choice in my main league, and I'm considering a mid-late slot, maybe 7th (of 12), I can pick up Lamar Miller and then maybe someone in the lower stud tier WR on the back end-maybe someone like AJ Green or Mike Evans.

"Best" spot assumes that everyone drafts perfectly which never happens, but in a theoretical draft it would always be ideal to pick 1st in a traditional snake format.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Papes posted:

"Best" spot assumes that everyone drafts perfectly which never happens, but in a theoretical draft it would always be ideal to pick 1st in a traditional snake format.

There are a lot of reasons that this is false, but this year it wouldn't be the worst strategy for the sake of getting AB84. If you still subscribe to the idea of taking an RB with your first pick, it's much better to go around pick 4 or 5 in a 12 team league.

I'd say picks 1-3 are best if you plan to try zero RB. If you want to draft more traditionally, either side of 6 is pretty good.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jul 8, 2016

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

The best spot to draft from is whichever one I'm drafting from in that draft.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The best spot is the spot right before or after yours because THEY KEEP SNIPING MY PLAYERS gently caress

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Mikey Purp posted:

There are a lot of reasons that this is false, but this year it wouldn't be the worst strategy for the sake of getting AB84. If you still ascribe to the idea of taking an RB with your first pick, it's much better to go around pick 4 or 5 in a 12 team league.

I'd say picks 1-3 are best if you plan to try zero RB. If you want to draft more traditionally, either side of 6 is pretty good.

Is Brown the consensus #1 pick even in non-PPR leagues? I guess with Bryant gone and a healthy Big Ben he seems like a good bet...are people reacting/overreacting to last year's Running Back Holocaust?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

von Metternich posted:

Is Brown the consensus #1 pick even in non-PPR leagues? I guess with Bryant gone and a healthy Big Ben he seems like a good bet...are people reacting/overreacting to last year's Running Back Holocaust?

Yeah it's looking like AB84 #1 in all formats, although I could see the reasoning behind going Bell at #1 too. The problem is that once again every first round RB has questions around their health, their O-line, the sample size for last year's performance, or some combination of the three.

I do think that there is some overreacting to last season, but Zero RB has been gaining traction for a while and last season really showcased why. Even in an average year for RB injuries, top tier WRs are a surer bet than top tier RBs, and there's also the fact that it's a lot harder to take advantage of RB attrition picks when you haven't set yourself up at WR early in the draft, so what you end up with instead is a roster that is top heavy with guys who are more susceptible to injury and has very little upside if those guys go down.

Rotoviz and 4for4 have a lot of good articles on the Zero RB strategy, so check those out if you can.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
In my dynasty draft where I pick #2 I've been told that the #1 guy is almost definitely picking Brown, so I'm not looking to trade anymore unless someone came through with a crazy offer. OBJ is just too enticing.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

In my dynasty draft where I pick #2 I've been told that the #1 guy is almost definitely picking Brown, so I'm not looking to trade anymore unless someone came through with a crazy offer. OBJ is just too enticing.

Yeah, OBJ pretty clear #1 dynasty asset in any fairly typical 1QB league. With 2QB/superflex, you can make the case for Newton or Luck, and with high IDP scoring, you can make the case for Watt. But even in those situations, OBJ is right there as arguably the top asset.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
In the Half-PPR slow-draft I am in with fellow goons, Lamar Miller was available to me at pick 12/12 in the first. People went heavy on WR early in the beginning of the first round so RB's tended to slip just a bit. Jamaal Charles was drafted in the early 2nd. I don't want to say this is a consistent trend across the board but I wouldn't be surprised to see some shifts in ADP over the coming months that support the theory.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Any IDPers around? I should be super pumped in a tackle heavy dynasty league where I can start 5 LBs about an LB corps of Navarro Bowman, CJ Mosley, Danny Trevathan, Brandon Marshall, and Denzel Perriman, right? That's like two locked in top 10 guys and another three with top 10 upside, no?

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
Hello friends. I'm in a bit of a pickle as commissioner in one of my leagues and have a non-football specific league management question for you all. Hoping someone has had a similar experience.

It's a 12 team keeper league with friends where we keep 6 guys each year. One manager doesn't want to play anymore and another is is woefully inactive, so I think that it should be contracted down to 10 teams. (I know that the easiest solution is to fill those slots, but I'd like to keep it as a friends only league and I don't really have any prospective new managers at this point in time). I'm not sure how best to handle this. There's a couple issues that I've considered:

1) The rosters of the contracted teams - I suspect that the easiest solution is to simply make them all draft eligible for the remaining 10 teams. That makes for quite the loaded draft though.

2) The biggest issue I think is that draft picks have been traded. The manager that no longer wants to play traded his 1st round pick for this year. If I simply eliminate these two teams, then that draft pick disappears. Definitely not fair to the manager that traded for that pick.

Has anyone been involved in a similar situation? How was it handled? Are there other issues that I haven't thought of yet? I've tried to find some advice articles regarding contraction but haven't really found anything helpful.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
What I did for traded draft picks for contracted teams is to make their draft picks the middle of the draft (6 & 7) then basically you just skip whatever picks they own and assign their traded picks to the new owner in whatever round they happen. You can only really do this in a manual draft though.

So if they traded a 1st for a 5th, in round one the owner receiving the 1st would get the 6th overall in addition to their own pick, let's say 12th overall, then later in the draft you skip picks 5.6 and 5.12

e: for contracted teams you could have an FAAB auction for the best keepers available if your league uses FAAB. Other than that, I don't really see a way to do it, unless you just want to rank everyone from worst to first last year and have an "expansion" draft before everyone declares their keepers and then give everyone a pre-draft trading period to shuffle around whatever they want. The easiest, and likely most fair and parity-enducing way, would be to just throw them in the pool though, yeah

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 12, 2016

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

RVProfootballer posted:

Any IDPers around? I should be super pumped in a tackle heavy dynasty league where I can start 5 LBs about an LB corps of Navarro Bowman, CJ Mosley, Danny Trevathan, Brandon Marshall, and Denzel Perriman, right? That's like two locked in top 10 guys and another three with top 10 upside, no?

You're golden, just be ready for week 8 when Bowman and Mosley have a bye week. Hope you have a lot of depth at LB beyond those guys, as well.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

Dandy Kaiser posted:

What I did for traded draft picks for contracted teams is to make their draft picks the middle of the draft (6 & 7) then basically you just skip whatever picks they own and assign their traded picks to the new owner in whatever round they happen. You can only really do this in a manual draft though.

So if they traded a 1st for a 5th, in round one the owner receiving the 1st would get the 6th overall in addition to their own pick, let's say 12th overall, then later in the draft you skip picks 5.6 and 5.12

e: for contracted teams you could have an FAAB auction for the best keepers available if your league uses FAAB. Other than that, I don't really see a way to do it, unless you just want to rank everyone from worst to first last year and have an "expansion" draft before everyone declares their keepers and then give everyone a pre-draft trading period to shuffle around whatever they want. The easiest, and likely most fair and parity-enducing way, would be to just throw them in the pool though, yeah

Hmm yeah, that's a good idea but sounds difficult using Yahoo's draft system. Can a commissioner delete teams after a draft has taken place? I could theoretically keep all 12 teams for the draft and simply assign the shittiest players in the league that would never be drafted as keepers for the 2 contracted teams. That way picks are unaffected, and I could just delete them after the draft.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

Gobias Ind. posted:

Hmm yeah, that's a good idea but sounds difficult using Yahoo's draft system. Can a commissioner delete teams after a draft has taken place? I could theoretically keep all 12 teams for the draft and simply assign the shittiest players in the league that would never be drafted as keepers for the 2 contracted teams. That way picks are unaffected, and I could just delete them after the draft.

Dunno about Yahoo, but in ESPN you can't delete teams after the draft.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

Professor Moriarty posted:

Dunno about Yahoo, but in ESPN you can't delete teams after the draft.

drat, Yahoo does, but it would be a pain in the rear end. I could do it though.

Yahoo Rules posted:

Remove a team after the draft
After your league drafts, it's not possible to add or remove teams without resetting the league draft. Adding or removing teams post-draft would corrupt the data and league history. Instead, you can transfer ownership of the team to a new owner.

If you absolutely need to delete a team post-draft, you'll have to:

Reset the league draft.
Unlock the team list.
Manually re-enter the information through an offline draft.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Theoretically, you could just leave the two teams in and adjust the schedule to make it so they play each other every week, then just manually change their score to a 0-0 tie every week, but I'm not sure if that's more or less work

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Theoretically, you could just leave the two teams in and adjust the schedule to make it so they play each other every week, then just manually change their score to a 0-0 tie every week, but I'm not sure if that's more or less work

I ended up having to do that in my case, after I found out I couldn't delete the two teams mid-season. It worked just fine in ESPN and didn't gently caress up the standings, amazingly enough.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

You're golden, just be ready for week 8 when Bowman and Mosley have a bye week. Hope you have a lot of depth at LB beyond those guys, as well.

Thanks for confirming that. It's a very deep league, so those were my only LBs at that point. But maybe half the rest of the league only had a couple, and only 2 or 3 others had five or more. I ended up adding Gerald Hodges, which doesn't help with the bye week, but he definitely had the most upside of remaining LBs. Dynasty, so bye week isn't a big deal, and there should be plenty of opportunities to trade during the season if I need.

Edit: I'm basically screwed a couple weeks anyway. Week 8 I'm going to be missing Mosley, Bowman, Hodges, Robert Quinn, and OBJ, and week 11 I'm losing Julio, Keenan Allen, Decker, Perryman, and Brandon Marshall. In full PPR + high defensive scoring, pretty sure I should just pencil those in as two losses.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 12, 2016

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So Karlos Williams got fat and Rotoworld is bringing the :iceburn: again

quote:

The Buffalo News believes Karlos Williams (dad bod) will open training camp on the sidelines.
Williams was reportedly 20-25 pounds overweight at minicamp. It will be tough for him to shed the excess weight before camp, so he will likely spend the first several practices doing conditioning work on the sidelines. Williams still has the inside track on the No. 2 job after an explosive rookie season, but he faces tough competition from rookie Jonathan Williams and Mike Gillislee.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

I ended up having to do that in my case, after I found out I couldn't delete the two teams mid-season. It worked just fine in ESPN and didn't gently caress up the standings, amazingly enough.

Good to know, thanks for the replies dudes.

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

RVProfootballer posted:

Thanks for confirming that. It's a very deep league, so those were my only LBs at that point. But maybe half the rest of the league only had a couple, and only 2 or 3 others had five or more. I ended up adding Gerald Hodges, which doesn't help with the bye week, but he definitely had the most upside of remaining LBs. Dynasty, so bye week isn't a big deal, and there should be plenty of opportunities to trade during the season if I need.

Hodges has a LOT of upside, and I thought he was sadly misused while he was on the Vikings. Just keep an eye on him during training camp to see whether he beats out Wilhoite for the spot next to Bowman.

If nobody's beaten you to it yet, grab Ben Heeney. He might not play much this year, but he definitely seems to be worth a stash.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Hodges is going to take Wilhoite and shove him aside. He is much better and Wilhoite is the quintessential third ILB

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hodges has a LOT of upside, and I thought he was sadly misused while he was on the Vikings. Just keep an eye on him during training camp to see whether he beats out Wilhoite for the spot next to Bowman.

If nobody's beaten you to it yet, grab Ben Heeney. He might not play much this year, but he definitely seems to be worth a stash.

Thanks for the tip. It is getting thin, but still some ok LB3/4 options. Demario Davis and Kirksey, Dansby, and Keenan Robinson are the best of the bunch. But I think I need to start filling out other roster needs. No DBs yet :) Though still a few probable DB2s, I think, so about time to grab some.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Weird stat of the day:

In 2015, Nate Washington had 0.67 fewer targets per game than Sammy Watkins.

His 94 targets would have been #1 among Patriots WRs (in 14 games).

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
In a 12-team dynasty league where we can keep 16 players before each year's draft do I hold onto Martavis Bryant or what?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Who are your other options to keep?

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Spoeank posted:

Who are your other options to keep?
Well I've already brought my team to 16:

Rodgers, Aaron GBP QB
Smith, Alex KCC QB
Bell, Le'Veon PIT RB (P)
Coleman, Tevin ATL RB
Gore, Frank IND RB (P)
Riddick, Theo DET RB
Starks, James GBP RB
Beckham, Odell NYG WR
Bryant, Martavis PIT WR (S)
Evans, Mike TBB WR
Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR
Ginn Jr., Ted CAR WR
Smith, Torrey SFO WR
Wheaton, Markus PIT WR
Wright, Jarius MIN WR
Kendricks, Lance RAM TE

Just wondering if I should drop him to have an extra slot for an add after the draft or if he still has some value in dynasty worth keeping a spot filled.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Anderron Shi posted:

Well I've already brought my team to 16:

Rodgers, Aaron GBP QB
Smith, Alex KCC QB
Bell, Le'Veon PIT RB (P)
Coleman, Tevin ATL RB
Gore, Frank IND RB (P)
Riddick, Theo DET RB
Starks, James GBP RB
Beckham, Odell NYG WR
Bryant, Martavis PIT WR (S)
Evans, Mike TBB WR
Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR
Ginn Jr., Ted CAR WR
Smith, Torrey SFO WR
Wheaton, Markus PIT WR
Wright, Jarius MIN WR
Kendricks, Lance RAM TE

Just wondering if I should drop him to have an extra slot for an add after the draft or if he still has some value in dynasty worth keeping a spot filled.

Jarius Wright is a way easier drop than Bryant. And no, don't drop him now to possibly add someone after the draft...why not wait til then and drop him if someone more valuable is there?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Yeah, Wright sticks out like a sore thumb there. The question you're asking is if Bryant is a top 192 (16 x 12) dynasty commodity. He is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Who's ready for a ~hot taek~

http://theinscribermag.com/sports/fantasy-football-2016-torrey-smith-will-win-you-your-league.html

• Locked thread