Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
drat, she cleaned up pretty alright. Now I wish I had bought it a year ago!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
It looks too good now

:smith:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

DrakeriderCa posted:

It looks too good now

:smith:

Every time I click on this thread I miss my '85 GS a little more. :smith:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Terrible Robot posted:

Every time I click on this thread I miss my '85 GS a little more. :smith:

Then you REALLY don't want to see our big reveal tomorrow. Because god drat I should not be given free reign.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 8, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I was out tonight and the cars were starting to come out for the street wheels weekend starting tomorrow. There was a last gen RX7 with something big and V8 under the hood and a massive gently caress-off hood scoop that I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest fed a supercharger.

I was thinking of you guys :3:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

I was thinking of you guys :3:

Thanks! I truly am sorry that I can't make it down this weekend. The car isn't quite ready and there's some family stuff I have to take care of.

On to the update!

The following has been completed since the last update:
  • All wheel wells & rockers coated in Noxudol 900D. This stuff is impressive. I'm very curious to how it will look and behave once it's cured.
  • Wheel spacers showed up just in time - they're now installed and they look pretty bitchin' if I do say so myself.
  • Vacuumed out the interior again. I need to pick up something with ozone. The car still smells. In total I have removed 12 tree air fresheners from all over the cars interior.
  • Tail lights are complete (The film is cheap and while it looks good, the edges aren't sticking, so I'm going to be hitting them with a bead of clear nail polish)
  • Wing is installed
  • Livery is basically complete, this has also allowed me to forgo the patch panels.
Here's a teaser:

Next up is installing the steering wheel and visiting C.B. City over in Sherwood Park (yes, that's actually the cities name). We have a 102" whip antenna that needs a mounting bracket and spring for the rear bumper.
The wheel is a Grant Challenger Series which I think suits the car. Both DrakeriderCa and I do not fit in the car with the stock 380mm wheel. The Grant is 350mm and has an extra 2" of dish, so it should help quite a bit.

What's left?
  • Previously mentioned steering wheel installation
  • Previously mentioned CB antenna mount
  • Wire in the light bar
  • Patch the T3 door cards very crudely hacked up for manual windows (we have power windows) - Drakeriders idea is genius for this.
  • Miscellaneous already applied decals, vinyl and pinstriping needs it's edges sealed with clear nail polish
  • Miscellaneous decal application
  • Patch the dash center panel in prep for Nexus 7 mount and power supply.
  • Upholster the dash in the fake suede we have.

Edit: Forgot about the dashboard

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 8, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Those Grant GTs are decent wheels. I had one in the old 280ZX for years and it suited it fine. Not a wood rim mind you, but the size and style works with those 70s-80s Japanese cars.

Canadian Tire used to stock tons of those.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The difference in stability with the wing on is noticeable, even at moderate speeds. My '85 went from feeling a little too light in the rear end to feeling pretty well balanced afterwards.

It also just looks bitchin' as hell.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Lookin good there guys.

gently caress maybe Saturday should just be exclusively for wrenching and last minute stuff.

Like a top gear mod/tech day before one of their adventures. I think we all have a lot of stuff we could do.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade posted:

Lookin good there guys.

gently caress maybe Saturday should just be exclusively for wrenching and last minute stuff.

Like a top gear mod/tech day before one of their adventures. I think we all have a lot of stuff we could do.

July 16 should absolutely be dedicated to last minute prep. I was actually hoping to use your hoist to check/replace the drive line fluids.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

July 16 should absolutely be dedicated to last minute prep. I was actually hoping to use your hoist to check/replace the drive line fluids.

Absolutely. If I pull the truck out we can get all three teams into the shop no problem.

I'll have beer aplenty in the fridge. Any requests? I usually keep village wit on hand, and a selection of sleeman. Plenty of whiskey and scotches too if you're into that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Holy poo poo I should show up uninvited just to mooch

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Sure man, come on up and join us.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I am too fat to sleep in the Porsche :(

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Most of us are sleeping in tents so there are beds available

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If I can be hosted, put me down as a definite maybe. We gave away most of our camping gear during our last move so I'm pretty useless nowadays.

The wife has a wedding shower to go to next weekend anyhow so it might work out well. I'd even sleep under the same roof as Drake but last time I did that I was exceedingly groggy the next morning and I was sore.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Assuming the Edmontonies are still planning on camping out on the lawn, I have a guest queen sized and two beds in the RV available.

I picked up an instant tent, two travel plates, two sets of plastic silverware, and a little camping water jug for 220 bucks at cabela's.

Seriously the easiest tent I have ever set up, took like a minute.

I'm still planning to sleep in a hammock as much as I can, but SSSwitch needs a place to crash, and I'll need half of it as an alternative whenever the hammock won't work.

Do we want to bring a grill? I have a good little charcoal one but it and all the gear I need to run it take up a lot of space between the fuel and the lighting chimney. We can always grill over a fire, but it's pretty great having a nice mesquite flavoured steak or some chicken or something.

I have this camping gear to spread across the three teams, and please forgive my gear sperging as I don't know how familiar everyone is with car camping:
Coleman stove + 10 pound mini tank (McT can we strap the tank to your roof rack? I'd rather have it outside the cars instead of in a trunk in case it starts venting) and a tiny aluminium table to set it on.
14" cast iron skillet, spatula, spoon, tongs and spatter screen, plus a camp toaster. I can bring a big pot too, depending on what meals you guys want. Couple cooking knives, cutting board, basic spices.
Kettle for drinking and washing dishes
Two small nesting plastic tubs for washing dishes in/ containing some of this poo poo, soap, washcloth, dishtowel, etc.
hatchet (anyone have a good medium sized axe? I have a hand hatchet and an 8 pound splitting maul but we don't need anything that big for this trip)
water jug

Everyone should probably bring these for themselves:
couple changes of clothes / shoes / sandals and a bath towel with soaps and toiletry stuff - swimming trunks and maybe an extra beach towel in case we find a good place to swim or soak in one of the hot springs along the way
sunscreen/bugspray
folding camp chair for hanging around a fire
tent, sleeping bag, pad, pillow
plate, cutlery, and some kind of mug or cup, preferably with a lid
something like a nalgene for drinking water, poo poo's gonna be hot out there son, and we don't want to sweat ourselves to death

Car stuff to split up:
Come-along (I have this)
Recovery strap (I have one, but it's pretty old, anyone have a newish one they can bring?)
high-lift jack (McT I think you said you have one of these, right?)
should we bring a pair of jackstands? I have several sets in my garage we can take one of them before we leave. How about a jack? Anyone have a bottle jack they want to bring or should we just use the scissorjacks that are already in the cars?
Air compressor for tires, anyone have one of those decent 12v ones they can bring? Mine's garbage, but I guess it'll work if no one has anything better. Or poo poo, a bicycle pump would be fine too, all of our tires are pretty small.
Basic first aid kit
Tools - should we bring a single set to share? Each car could do their own, but we're going to have a lot of overlap and about twenty 10mm wrenches.

What's the plan for food? I have two really good coolers, a smaller one and an 80L one. The 80L is fuckhuge and will take up the majority of one team's trunk by itself, but we could feed ourselves out of it all week without too much trouble. The smaller one would be ok for some beer, eggs, bacon, smokies and steak - and there are lots of places to get groceries along the way, so I'm fine with whatever.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'd almost prefer that everyone have their own tools. You never know when you'll have a job that needs two 10mm wrenches or some guy's weird fetish ratchet.

I haven't tested the pantograph jack out of the Celica so I'd also prefer we stuff my low-profile aluminum jack in there or something.

Can you refill the tiny propane tanks from a gas station like you can with the big tanks?

I have two monstrously lovely 12v inflaters but they are really unreliable.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 9, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

You can't refill the little green tanks, they're designed to be disposable. Mine, yes we can, but we shouldn't have to. It usually lasts me all year.

DoritoPower
Dec 18, 2015
I have a pretty new recovery strap that I haven't had an opportunity to use yet so consider that taken care of.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Slung Blade, you're the man. You've got a really good handle on all this. I agree with you on all counts. Each team for sure should have their own set of custom tailored tools. I suppose Cool Ranch and Sweet Chili Heat have 100% overlap, so we can split some stuff up.

I'll use your list as a basis for a google sheet.

The roof basket is fair game for anything. Especially flammables.
I currently do not have a hi-lift. If I recall, a local goon was cool with us borrowing one? Could said goon be bribed with a case of Asahi for letting us borrow it? I will be mounted to the passenger side of the roof basket.

Also, Slidebite - it would be awesome if you could make it out for July 16.

Sweet Chili Heat Update
The interior is coming together. The steering wheel and shift knob is in and both work very very well.

The T3 door cards used to look like this:

Now they look like this:

Full credit goes to DrakeriderCa for these.

It's also about drat time that we finally revealed what our entry into the inaugural Transmountain to Tidewater Rally looks like.

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

So without further delay - I give you team Sweet Chili Heats $1000 1981 Mazda RX-7 "Karakuchi"

We took it to tonight's Cars & Coffee event. The reception was very warm (from those who had a sense of humour). Every kid loved it. On the way home I had a very positive encounter with the local police force. There was a lot of laughter on their end. Overall, I am very happy with the vehicle and hope it survives the trip. I think both DrakeriderCa and I are going to have a hard time parting with it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

That thing is so loving rad I can't even describe my feelings :allears:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Jesus Christ those pictures are artistic

Who did you have a chat with? EPS or RCMP?

Did we win anything? :haw:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh hell yes

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
I need it. I need it so bad.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

literally a fish posted:

I need it. I need it so bad.

Slung Blade posted:

That thing is so loving rad I can't even describe my feelings :allears:

Oh man that looks good.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
That's loving epic. Love the... everything.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Is that a bumper sticker that says "BRAP"?

What you've created...well, it's not art, but it sure is something! :allears:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Amazing.

Is there a twitter account for the rally?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I'll talk to the boss on Monday, I should be able to leave early on the 16th (but I can head over either way, it'll just be a little brief if I work the full day) and I'll bring the Hilift. I've got a brand new recovery strap too, and I might be able to secure some chain as well.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I don't think I've seen a build on these forums that I've been more enamored with. Everything on that is perfect. Beautiful!

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

gently caress that's come together real nicely, you wouldn't believe that was a sub $1k RX7

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

ExecuDork posted:

Amazing.

Is there a twitter account for the rally?

@tm2twrally on twitter and instagram. Everything should be tagged with #tm2twrally if posted by someone else as well.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Today the Hellica successfully completed an insurance inspection, validating that it is in fact a safe car.

It also chronically overheated in stop and go traffic so place your bets now.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

DrakeriderCa posted:

Jesus Christ those pictures are artistic

Who did you have a chat with? EPS or RCMP?

Did we win anything? :haw:

The chat was very one sided. This actually sums it up really well except replace $0.50 with two late 20's/early 30's EPS officers:
http://i.imgur.com/t5AUCZB.gifv

I was driving northbound on 142St after I left the science center parking lot (I may or may not have wound out first and second to redline). I didn't spot the EPS Explorer heading south until they passed me. They immediately pulled a u-turn and started to catch up. Didn't hit the lights or siren though. They also stayed in the right hand lane. They pulled up beside me and the officer riding shotgun rolled down his window, took a picture and they turned left on to 118ave. Both were visibly laughing the whole time. So, yeah...

We did not win at the Cars & Coffee. Runner up went to the '33 Dodge coupe and the '57 Fairlane won.

I created a google sheet for all the camping & vehicle equipment. Everyone should be able to edit. I'll update the OP with the Instagram & Twitter tags.
I'm currently updating the website with all of our posts and pictures. I plan of sending the link with a synopsis to TST since their All Cars Go To Heaven series was the partial inspiration for this.

Edit: Everything updated. Also, when should have have the final pre-rally points summary? July 16?

I also had another idea...The brushed vinyl along the side of the car would make for a great autograph board. I should get RCMP, EPS, Strippers signatures on the car to go along with the pictures.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 10, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Today the Hellica successfully completed an insurance inspection, validating that it is in fact a safe car.

Which just shows:
A) how awesome we are.
Or :
B) exactly how useless that inspection is.

I would like it noted that it only overheated while you were driving it. :colbert:

And it never puked overheated, just the temp gauge creeped up uncomfortably high towards the red zone.

We got some more little bits and pieces from the junkyard to fill out some of the trim while we waited for the inspection too, so that was good.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What insurance company are you with that still asks for an insurance inspection?

That RX is loving awesome, the weight is really on the other teams now.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

Which just shows:
A) how awesome we are.
Or :
B) exactly how useless that inspection is.

Hey, dude was impressed, and he's been a mechanic for like thirty years or something. If there's a hackjob he's seen one before.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Hey, dude was impressed, and he's been a mechanic for like thirty years or something. If there's a hackjob he's seen one before.

Thirty years, seriously? Lenny looked like he's mid 30s. Fuckin hell.

Powershift: wawanesa through silvercrest brokers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

The chat was very one sided. This actually sums it up really well except replace $0.50 with two late 20's/early 30's EPS officers:
http://i.imgur.com/t5AUCZB.gifv

I was driving northbound on 142St after I left the science center parking lot (I may or may not have wound out first and second to redline). I didn't spot the EPS Explorer heading south until they passed me. They immediately pulled a u-turn and started to catch up. Didn't hit the lights or siren though. They also stayed in the right hand lane. They pulled up beside me and the officer riding shotgun rolled down his window, took a picture and they turned left on to 118ave. Both were visibly laughing the whole time. So, yeah...

We did not win at the Cars & Coffee. Runner up went to the '33 Dodge coupe and the '57 Fairlane won.

I created a google sheet for all the camping & vehicle equipment. Everyone should be able to edit. I'll update the OP with the Instagram & Twitter tags.
I'm currently updating the website with all of our posts and pictures. I plan of sending the link with a synopsis to TST since their All Cars Go To Heaven series was the partial inspiration for this.

Edit: Everything updated. Also, when should have have the final pre-rally points summary? July 16?

I also had another idea...The brushed vinyl along the side of the car would make for a great autograph board. I should get RCMP, EPS, Strippers signatures on the car to go along with the pictures.

Hahaha, awesome

I'll bring my axe. It's an awesome camp axe. I edited some stuff into the google sheet. I'm good with doing the points scoring on July 16th. Will we be able to do a shakeout challenge on the 16th?

lol yessssssssssssss

• Locked thread