Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Jordan7hm posted:

Politics. They promised the centre to get votes.

Specifically, to make up for closing the gun registry centre, which was previously located there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Who gives a gently caress? I'd just write that shithole off entirely. What's one riding?

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

reminder that asbestos mining/export was allowed to continue to buy the votes of one lovely town in northern quebec

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

quote:

[Giorgio Mammoliti] has blamed a few of his erratic comments on a brain fistula he had removed in 2013, but nobody has since been able to tell the difference in his behaviour. Add another contradiction to Toronto’s growing list: it must be the best-run city in the world run by idiots.

:pwn:

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Hey CI and Helsing, I have a job opportunity for you. I will gladly write a reference letter about all the contributions you've made to an internet forum.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

You're right of course. The honourable minister would certainly not have been briefed on the state of the system and its risk profile. There is certainly no way that she could have directed the public service to slow the transfer profiles to the new system, and certainly no way that she could have directed her officials to supplement the system using a temporary centre of excellence. Those measures certainly had to wait until after the system had been activated and its shortfalls realized. It's how things are done, you know.

If you think it's simple or even necessarily possible for a rollout that large to be stopped (or even delayed) by a minister whose first day on the job was three months before the cutover, you clearly have no experience in this area.

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

I'm likely a pissant middle manager who pisses off IT with worthless requests. There is no content within my posts other than a garbage act akin to a know-it-all, which likely is how I behave in real life. It's really hard for me to comprehend how much I am hated by everyone.

tagesschau posted:

If you think it's simple or even necessarily possible for a rollout that large to be stopped (or even delayed) by a minister whose first day on the job was three months before the cutover, you clearly have no experience in this area.

The article cites two problems - a lack of capacity, and the speed with which transfer of files from the old system to the new system occurred.

Minister Foote's transition book certainly contained details about an initiative as transformational to PWGSC as pay modernization (I'd suggest you check this and confirm, but the Government thoughtfully neglected to include the Government Business chapter of the Minister's binders). The transition book would spell out the state of the project and operational risks. You can bet money that a department as conservative (in the sense of a slow-moving, lumbering organization, not as in abortion-hating evangelicals) as PWGSC would have identified all of the associated risks, and given the Minister suggestions on a path forward.

One could quite reasonable assume that, as in the case of email transformation (another massive IT project which the current government halted in November, scant days after being elected), the pace of file transfer could have been slowed or paused to accommodate the structural risks associated with the project. One could also quite reasonably suggest that the mitigation measures put in place after the system was deployed (retaining temporary staff to deal with a backlog) could have been deployed in advance of the system's activation in order to facilitate the transition (which would have had the advantage of the November - February period to train additional staff).

But no, by all means, it's much easier to blame Harris Harper. Please continue.

PT6A posted:

Who gives a gently caress? I'd just write that shithole off entirely. What's one riding?

Writing off poo poo-holes is no way to build a nation. Glass houses, etc.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

The article cites two problems - a lack of capacity, and the speed with which transfer of files from the old system to the new system occurred.

Minister Foote's transition book certainly contained details about an initiative as transformational to PWGSC as pay modernization (I'd suggest you check this and confirm, but the Government thoughtfully neglected to include the Government Business chapter of the Minister's binders). The transition book would spell out the state of the project and operational risks. You can bet money that a department as conservative (in the sense of a slow-moving, lumbering organization, not as in abortion-hating evangelicals) as PWGSC would have identified all of the associated risks, and given the Minister suggestions on a path forward.

One could quite reasonable assume that, as in the case of email transformation (another massive IT project which the current government halted in November, scant days after being elected), the pace of file transfer could have been slowed or paused to accommodate the structural risks associated with the project. One could also quite reasonably suggest that the mitigation measures put in place after the system was deployed (retaining temporary staff to deal with a backlog) could have been deployed in advance of the system's activation in order to facilitate the transition (which would have had the advantage of the November - February period to train additional staff).

lol

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

I'm likely a pissant middle manager who pisses off IT with worthless requests. There is no content within my posts other than a garbage act akin to a know-it-all, which likely is how I behave in real life. It's really hard for me to comprehend how much I am hated by everyone.

Truly a scintillating argument. I am utterly convinced of the correctness of your position. Thank you for correcting me.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

Truly a scintillating argument. I am utterly convinced of the correctness of your position. Thank you for correcting me.

Your whole post is dumb and its clear you are just trying to look smart by producing a bunch of IT words you probably googled at random and jamming them into a non-coherent rant.

Youre making PT6A look rational.

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

Furnaceface posted:

Your whole post is dumb and its clear you are just trying to look smart by producing a bunch of IT words you probably googled at random and jamming them into a non-coherent rant.

Youre making PT6A look rational.

It's too late, I've already been convinced.

Incidentally, which IT words did you have trouble with? If it's structure, I can probably put a flow chart together for you.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

It's too late, I've already been convinced.

Incidentally, which IT words did you have trouble with? If it's structure, I can probably put a flow chart together for you.

Both of you shut the gently caress up, I do outsourcing projects that size and much bigger for a living, I know more about them that you do, and the last thing I want is to read about it here babbled by people who know less about it and cherry pick random details to make a political point

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
guys i am an it expert so

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Rust Martialis posted:

Both of you shut the gently caress up, I do outsourcing projects that size and much bigger for a living, I know more about them that you do, and the last thing I want is to read about it here babbled by people who know less about it and cherry pick random details to make a political point

No you shut the gently caress up, dad!

Also, Im applying to be a senator. CI, Im using you as a reference.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
I handle more network traffic and steal more CC info every day than your pitiful civil services, and am the greatest at it and video games to boot, viva the robotic Sony products revolution.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm the greatest at IT, I have the biggest brain, it's the best, really. You can't find a better brain or a guy that's better at IT, believe me! :smugdon:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
I remember the last time someone went on about being an IT expert in this thread.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Furnaceface posted:

No you shut the gently caress up, dad!

Also, Im applying to be a senator. CI, Im using you as a reference.

well there'd definitely be less physical strain in being a senator than handing out blister packs all day

rekt

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

OSI bean dip posted:

I remember the last time someone went on about being an IT expert in this thread.

Yeah, that was amusing.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

namaste faggots posted:

guys i am an it expert so

What's your favorite time/temp combo for sous vide chuck steak? I got a couple big steaks from my butcher and I'm trying to get as close as possible to a sirloin texture-wise.

Also what are your thoughts on adding a few drops of fish sauce to the bag while it cooks for an extra umami kick?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Hexigrammus posted:

Yeah, that was amusing.

Was that the time the guy was saying, "No, online voting is a good idea and not horribly insecure, I know this because I'm a computer science student?"

Or was that a separate incident? I can't keep them straight anymore.

Got to go to bed now, because the retard parade is going to wake me up at an ungodly hour tomorrow morning. I want to go take a runny poo poo on all the prearranged chairs that are set up, but my bowels just aren't cooperating tonight.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

namaste faggots posted:

well there'd definitely be less physical strain in being a senator than handing out blister packs all day

rekt

I already told you a machine makes those and we love that machine. :colbert:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Whiskey Sours posted:

What's your favorite time/temp combo for sous vide chuck steak? I got a couple big steaks from my butcher and I'm trying to get as close as possible to a sirloin texture-wise.

Also what are your thoughts on adding a few drops of fish sauce to the bag while it cooks for an extra umami kick?

I actually use hondashi or msg on a lot of cooking. A pinch of hondashi in an ossobuco is phenomenal. I think fish sauce could be interesting but it's really salty so take it easy.

I generally cook my shoe leather steaks at whatever temperature anova recommends so 129f for an hour. Last time I marinaded a blade steel in red wine for 4 hours and it was delicious.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

The Canadian Taxpayers Federation willfully ignores conservative-leaning initiatives so this will blow over on their part.

they called him out on it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/jason-kenney-canadian-taxpayers-federation-alberta-1.3668514

Jean Charest did the same thing, twice, so it's kind of a moot issue.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

namaste faggots posted:

I actually use hondashi or msg on a lot of cooking. A pinch of hondashi in an ossobuco is phenomenal. I think fish sauce could be interesting but it's really salty so take it easy.

I generally cook my shoe leather steaks at whatever temperature anova recommends so 129f for an hour. Last time I marinaded a blade steel in red wine for 4 hours and it was delicious.

What kind of a scrub marinades for only 4 hours? Go back to real estate and IT, leave to cooking to us real chefs.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Hal_2005 posted:

they called him out on it.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/jason-kenney-canadian-taxpayers-federation-alberta-1.3668514

Jean Charest did the same thing, twice, so it's kind of a moot issue.

Well nonetheless Kenney is a useless tit and any Albertan that supports him has poo poo for brains.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Furnaceface posted:

What kind of a scrub marinades for only 4 hours? Go back to real estate and IT, leave to cooking to us real chefs.

The kind of scrub that doesn't have enough time in the day to plan everything in advance because he's trying to keep a 19 month old from accidental death :negative:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

namaste faggots posted:

The kind of scrub that doesn't have enough time in the day to plan everything in advance because he's trying to keep a 19 month old from accidental death :negative:

Well theres your problem. You didnt wrap it.

The steaks :v:

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Jason Kenney will continue as an MP (and drawing his MP's salary) during his provincial leadership campaign.

The Canadian Taxpayers' Federation, known to have previously employed one Jason Kenney, is, to their small credit, unamused by this.

At least the CTF is consistent, or at least they are self-aware enough to have to make their outrage known.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lars Blitzer posted:

At least the CTF is consistent, or at least they are self-aware enough to have to make their outrage known.

The CTF is poo poo, but once in a while feigns outrage against the right, such as this case, or for Economic Action Plan ads while after they've been going on. They'll spend a day on that before going back to their usual motives. Like for Vancouver, they were the figureheads for voting No on the transit referendum for more funding. And since they've won that battle they've started attacking TransLink on things like "why aren't you spending more money on X and Y, people demand better!" knowing drat well despite being the problem, they're sticking out for the ~average person~

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

Yes, the previous minister would have had time to make such a decision. I have no idea why you remain under the impression that it certainly must have been possible to delay the rollout of the new system or (possibly more importantly) the decommissioning of the old system.

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

tagesschau posted:

Yes, the previous minister would have had time to make such a decision. I have no idea why you remain under the impression that it certainly must have been possible to delay the rollout of the new system or (possibly more importantly) the decommissioning of the old system.

The Government has a storied history of delaying and postponing major IT projects. One (actually two) recent example is the postponing of it's email transformation initiative in November 2015 (which, for those of you keeping track, is after Foote became Minister), and again in May 2016.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/federal-email-system-halted-1.3565191

Pay Transformation is a big deal to PWGSC, and you can bet that the Minister would have been briefed on all pertinent details, including potential risks as a part of her transition briefings.

The Facts posted:

The first test of how well it works will be May 4, the first payday for all 101 departments and agencies using Phoenix.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/ps-pay-change-will-go-ahead-only-if-the-government-is-99-per-cent-sure-it-will-work-official-says,

Arguing that the Minister couldn't have done anything because the timelines were too rapid and the project too big is pretty disingenuous.

• Foote delayed another major IT project within days of her party being elected
  • The new system wasn't given a go until February, months after all of her transition briefings would have occurred.
  • The new system wasn't turned on until May, and only at the Minister's direction.

Given that the new system was activated in February and the first payday not made until three months later, the only politician who wears this is Foote.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

America what the poo poo man, someone went full tactical.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Email consolidation is a significantly simpler process to slow down/stop than pay/compensation. Don't be obtuse.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

MA-Horus posted:

BREAKING: :siren: COUNTRY FLUSH WITH WEAPONS ERUPTS IN VIOLENCE THAT INCLUDES WEAPONS :siren:

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Especially since the Phoenix rollout wouldn't have been nearly as big an issue (even full of bugs as it was) if it weren't for the mess relating to moving the pay centre to Miramichi and sending everyone who knew what they were doing but somehow didn't want to live in bumfuck lovely New Brunswick into early retirement. How exactly could Foote have stopped that in November 2015?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

MA-Horus posted:

Texas?

Did you see the part where they strapped a bomb on their bomb disposal robot and used it to kill one of the suspects?

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Fluffy Chainsaw posted:

The Government has a storied history of delaying and postponing major IT projects. One (actually two) recent example is the postponing of it's email transformation initiative in November 2015 (which, for those of you keeping track, is after Foote became Minister), and again in May 2016.

Yeah, you really don't know what you're talking about. Their ability to postpone one IT project doesn't imply that this is possible in all cases.

Hell, I've got a system that has only about a hundred users and needs to be replaced, and due to the decision-makers repeatedly making and unmaking their decisions, we're now looking maybe doing this in 2018.

brucio posted:

Email consolidation is a significantly simpler process to slow down/stop than pay/compensation. Don't be obtuse.

no man its just like upgrading from pop to imap

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

namaste faggots posted:

You eat food? I always thought you lived on the tears of Vancouverites who can't afford a detached house.

We are joining NATO in Latvia. Trudeau, the war monger. Did the fighter jets ever actually leave Syria or are they just relocating?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cananda-nato-baltic-troops-1.3669952

quote:

Canada will soon deploy a battle group of soldiers as well as significant equipment to Latvia as part of a stepped-up NATO plan to deter further Russian aggression in Eastern Europe, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will tell Western leaders today in Warsaw.

In addition, the Liberal government has renewed a commitment to provide six CF-18 fighter jets for air policing duties over the Baltic states, a mission the air force last conducted in 2014.

It will also continue the deployment of a navy frigate as part of NATO's standing task force, something first ordered by the former Conservative government.

The Trudeau government last week signalled its willingness to join the military alliance's high-readiness land brigade that's being assembled to defend the tiny Baltic states and Poland, but it was left to the prime minister to brief other NATO leaders on Friday about what precisely Canada was prepared to bring to the table.

"Canada is playing a strong, constructive role in the world," Trudeau said in a written statement.

The contribution is being described in military circles as a "framework battalion," meaning Canada will provide the backbone of one of four combat formations. The U.S., Britain and Germany will create their own battalions.

Troops sprinkled on Russia's doorstep

Trudeau's statement did not provide any troop numbers, but each multinational battle group is expected to be roughly 1,000 soldiers in size.

Being a "framework nation" does not mean Canada will deliver all of the troops in its formation. It could, for example, mirror the British commitment, which was pegged on Friday at roughly 650 soldiers.

In addition to infantry companies, Canada will be expected to provide headquarters oversight, leadership and other essential support units that allow the battalion to function and fight. Other NATO countries will contribute smaller contingents to each battalion.

It will be a long-term deployment. Every six to nine months, a fresh batch of Canadian troops will be rotated through the battalion until NATO decides to dissolve the brigade.

The battalions will be sprinkled on Russia's doorstep, providing both reassurance and insurance to some of the newest members of the military alliance — all of them former Cold War adversaries who are alarmed at Moscow's annexation of Crimea and the ongoing war in Eastern Ukraine.

Russia could see brigade as 'sabre-rattling'

The three Baltic states — Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia — have sizable Russian populations, which some fear could be used as a pretext for a takeover, as it was during the spring of 2014 in Crimea.

Some critics, notably Germany's foreign minister, have warned the NATO brigade will be seen as a provocation and "sabre-rattling" by the Kremlin.

Western leaders have signalled their intention for months and Russian President Vladimir Putin's government has responded with not only the usual war of words, but with hardware and a planned buildup of troops.

Last spring, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu announced the Russian military would create by the end of 2016 two new army divisions totalling approximately 20,000 soldiers. One will be stationed on its western border, while the other will be on the southern frontier.

"The Defence Ministry is undertaking steps to counter the growing NATO potential in close proximity to Russian borders," Shoigu said in a statement.

The creation of the new units represents a doubling of Russian troops along its western frontier since January.

Perhaps most importantly for the Canadian troops about to go into the Baltic: there were published reports last month that suggested Russia was preparing to deploy advanced nuclear-capable missiles in Kaliningrad, a tiny spit of territory wedged between Poland and Lithuania.

The Reuters news agency, quoting unnamed senior Russian defence officials, said the placement of Iskander mobile missiles will likely take place in 2019 and comes in direct response to the establishment of U.S. anti-missile sites in eastern Europe.

The Iskander replaced the infamous Scud as the premiere ground-to-ground missile in the old Soviet arsenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Chainsaw
Jul 6, 2016

Forums posters, more knowledgeable about government capabilities than Yaprak and Brison.

Treasury Board secretary Yaprak Baltacioglu. posted:

“We are feeding into them and alerting them if we are running into problems. If they feel we’re not ready, they will delay. If they feel 99 per cent of it is going to work, then we will go forward.”

Minister Brison posted:

He said the final decision to proceed rests with Public Services and Procurement Minister Judy Foote, whose department oversees the massive pay transformation process.