Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
https://www.periscope.tv/w/1vAxRpkkDdyGl

https://www.periscope.tv/w/1ZkJzvbbqAqJv

I think these people are across from that parking garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Been on a spotty connection following updates in bursts, wasn't sure if I missed something. Thanks.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Teddybear posted:

Is it just speculation in this thread that they're white nationalists or is there a source out there with some sort of identifying info on them?

It's 100% speculation arising from the announcement by the mayor or whatever that one of the suspects announced that "The end is coming" or said other similar fanatical religious stuff.

Although if they were white nationalists, you'd think target the black lives matter protesters as well... so I'm not sure I buy that either.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/CBSDFW/status/751304100763971585

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I'm watching a stream of Dallas' CBS local affiliate and they're interviewing the fake suspect and his brother.

They're saying that the police interrogated them and accused them of being the shooters as well as lying and saying that the police had witnesses and video showing them as being the shooters. They feel like the police completely disrespected them after they tried to be as compliant and helpful as possible and turned themselves in.

It's all pretty poignant.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
He was never a suspect. But good.

EDIT: I take that back. That's not cool.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Starsfan posted:

It's 100% speculation arising from the announcement by the mayor or whatever that one of the suspects announced that "The end is coming" or said other similar fanatical religious stuff.

Although if they were white nationalists, you'd think target the black lives matter protesters as well... so I'm not sure I buy that either.

White people do not have a monopoly on apocalyptic religious beliefs, even those of a Protestant Christian bent. :ssh:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Starsfan posted:

If white supremacy was their thing, they'd potentially be targeting officers as race traitors because of their community approach.

e: The camo guy, when the reporter first asked if he wanted to say something just let out the heaviest loving sigh ever before being like "I don't even know where to start" :smith:

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

FIRST TIME posted:

They're saying that the police interrogated them and accused them of being the shooters as well as lying and saying that the police had witnesses and video showing them as being the shooters. They feel like the police completely disrespected them after they tried to be as compliant and helpful as possible and turned themselves in.

Disgusting, really

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm not sure if it was discussed earlier or not (there were 800 posts between when I left work & when I got home oblivious anything had happened), but a known right wing douchebag pulled a gun at the BLM protest in Portland tonight.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/07/hit-the-ground-trump-supporter-pulls-gun-on-black-lives-matter-rally-in-portland/

This is pretty lovely video showing it happening.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmMkOeOF_GE

Here's video of him explaining "people were closing down on me" (or some poo poo) which is why he pulled his pistol.
https://twitter.com/kariLOU88/status/751276081450143745

Of course they wouldn't have been "closing down on him" if he wasn't in the middle of the road in front of the March.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I seriously read that as "Don't shoot." Which, to be honest, is something that these new stations should be saying as well.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

FIRST TIME posted:

I'm watching a stream of Dallas' CBS local affiliate and they're interviewing the fake suspect and his brother.

He was a suspect, they cleared him, he got released. Not sure what the police did wrong in this case.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

highme posted:

I'm not sure if it was discussed earlier or not (there were 800 posts between when I left work & when I got home oblivious anything had happened), but a known right wing douchebag pulled a gun at the BLM protest in Portland tonight.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/07/hit-the-ground-trump-supporter-pulls-gun-on-black-lives-matter-rally-in-portland/

This is pretty lovely video showing it happening.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmMkOeOF_GE

Here's video of him explaining "people were closing down on me" (or some poo poo) which is why he pulled his pistol.
https://twitter.com/kariLOU88/status/751276081450143745

Of course they wouldn't have been "closing down on him" if he wasn't in the middle of the road in front of the March.

No, it wasn't mentioned, though I heard that it happened. Thanks for the details.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

FIRST TIME posted:

It's the old thing where the cops just say that to try and rattle the person and trick them into admitting their participation in the criminal enterprise. You know, just in case he actually was involved at some level.

The police officer doing it probably knew 100% they were innocent. It's just some bullshit thing they do, following the interrogation manual for all guests of theirs.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

FIRST TIME posted:

PDs in general tend to have a kind of paranoid mindset, and prior cop killings have been used in things like training seminars to ingrain recruits with the idea that they are always in danger and that they are the thin blue line and such and such.

So this shooting is pretty much their most insane fever nightmare made real. They're not going to react well to it.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jul 8, 2016

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The militia movement has a weird relationship with white racism. There's a huge overlap, but then you get stuff like the debate in Oath Keepers about whether to support the police or the protesters in Ferguson. Overall, I'd say the militia movement is an ally of white supremacy, but I don't think it's impossible for militia group to view police as more of an enemy than black people.

Of course this could just be like some Dorner thing too.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

GaussianCopula posted:

He was a suspect, they cleared him, he got released. Not sure what the police did wrong in this case.

It's the part where they claimed to have witnesses and video of him being a shooter.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Starsfan posted:

It's the old thing where the cops just say that to try and rattle the person and trick them into admitting their participation in the criminal enterprise. You know, just in case he actually was involved at some level.

The police officer doing it probably knew 100% they were innocent. It's just some bullshit thing they do, following the interrogation manual for all guests of theirs.

Yes, it's serious bullshit and it results in false confessions. How safe would he have been if there wasn't lots of footage of him up to the moment he was detained?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

WHOOPS posted:

It's the part where they claimed to have witnesses and video of him being a shooter.

Also where they stole his clothes and gun and then cuffed him again on the way out.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

Atrocious Joe posted:

The militia movement has a weird relationship with white racism. There's a huge overlap, but then you get stuff like the debate in Oath Keepers about whether to support the police or the protesters in Ferguson. Overall, I'd say the militia movement is an ally of white supremacy, but I don't think it's impossible for militia group to view police as more of an enemy than black people.

Of course this could just be like some Dorner thing too.

i'm always surprised to find out people legitimately think the militia-movement types are racist, i guarantee you're going to see the vast majority of them line up behind that dude who was shot in minnesota, probably along with the NRA, if the shooting really did happen as the girlfriend described it.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

SedanChair posted:

Yes, it's serious bullshit and it results in false confessions. How safe would he have been if there wasn't lots of footage of him up to the moment he was detained?

seriously, plus them pushing the picture out on social media, and after the dude did everything correctly

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

LGD posted:

White people do not have a monopoly on apocalyptic religious beliefs, even those of a Protestant Christian bent. :ssh:

No, but sadly a lot of them sort of want an Apocalypse Reagan promised because they're no longer being treated as the lords of creation.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Starsfan posted:

It's despicable and goes beyond some bullshit old thing they do to follow the manual, I'd say. It's stuff like this that makes people inherently angry, because it's wrong, the authority knows it's wrong but they continue to do it. It's so wrong that it likely rationalizes extreme behavior in the minds of people who are already on the brink of losing control.

Mr. Meagles fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jul 8, 2016

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

WHOOPS posted:

You mean when they followed standard interrogation protocol while talking to a suspect? If they had held him for a prolonged period of time based on not existing evidence/testimony you might have something here.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

PDs in general tend to have a kind of paranoid mindset, and prior cop killings have been used in things like training seminars to ingrain recruits with the idea that they are always in danger and that they are the thin blue line and such and such.

So this shooting is pretty much their most insane fever nightmare made real. They're not going to react well to it.

That Dinkheller video is loving chilling. If I thought that could be me I would be wildly trigger-happy.

Then again I don't think I'm fit to be a police officer.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
e: ^^^ yeah that video is what I was speaking of.

Starsfan posted:

the manual varies; direct methods like that tend to be a "use with caution because it can backfire really badly" sorts of bits stuck on them.

interrogation isn't always so adversarial, and going hard on suspects like that tends to be frowned on in guidebooks since A. you can get better results by being friendly and playing dumb to give room for suspects to spill their guts out, B. gets you to chase false leads for too long, and C. can cause otherwise cooperative people to clam up since you turned it into a battle of wills. the stress of the event, though, means that police are going to prefer harsher measures.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

5th cop has died.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What Fauxton said above.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
:smith:

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

semper wifi posted:

i'm always surprised to find out people legitimately think the militia-movement types are racist, i guarantee you're going to see the vast majority of them line up behind that dude who was shot in minnesota, probably along with the NRA, if the shooting really did happen as the girlfriend described it.

https://twitter.com/TooMuchMe/status/751076078458986496

hmmm, yes, definitely

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

GaussianCopula posted:

Telling someone you have evidence/witnesses against him when you don't in order to wring a confession is grossly unethical. Worse, it's bad conduct.

Suppose one of them feels terrified/pressured and suddenly confesses to something he didn't do. Cops get a head to parade and look good, an innocent goes to jail...and an actual _killer_ potentially goes FREE. It could muck up further investigation ans your actual evidence doesn't fit the presented suspect/confessing parties.

It's just a colossal shitstorm for any system that is not completely dysfunctional. Like, Baath-party-under-Saddam messed up.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

So is the NRA going to be campaigning for this law abiding citizen?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

GaussianCopula posted:

Well, for starters you dont threaten and harass innocent people.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

:smith:

This is the worst year.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

So is the NRA going to be campaigning for this law abiding citizen?

the nra is a white supremacist organization see

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

how (un)precedented is something like this? meaning cops as the targets and the current death toll?

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

semper wifi posted:

why does this bad and wrong post still get posted? hasn't this been tested enough in the real world? was MISSION ACCOMPLISHED the last headline you saw?

you were the kid that flew off the handle and hit people whenever you were slighted, even on accident, then claimed HE MADE ME DO IT when confronted about your overreaction

E1M1 posted:

I agree: there is a logic in murder. These shooters, regardless of their ultimate identity, should be commended for their blow against the establishment

If either of you idiots can pull up my post commending or approving of these people killing cops that'd go a long way to making these posts not look like the stupidest posts ever.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

the NRA is a large organization treading dangerous waters, no poo poo they're not going to say anything about it right now. remember mike brown? a day after his shooting everyone was 100% convinced hands up don't shoot was the whole truth and nothing but the truth so help me god. they'd be stupid to take a stand so early when the only evidence either way is a video taken after the event by a distraught girlfriend.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Karl Sharks posted:

how (un)precedented is something like this? meaning cops as the targets and the current death toll?

It's happened before in American history, but not for about 7 years

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lakewood,_Washington_police_officer_shooting

"On Sunday, November 29, 2009, four Lakewood, Washington police officers were murdered at the former Forza Coffee Co. coffee shop, which was located at 11401 Steele Street South in the Parkland unincorporated area of Pierce County, Washington. "

"It is believed to be the most deadly attack on law enforcement in the state of Washington, and the deadliest attack on law enforcement in the United States since the March 21, 2009 shootings that left four Oakland, California police officers dead."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

If all the protestors were armed with assault/sniper/recoilless rifles this would never have happened.

• Locked thread