Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I just bought a secondhand Pixel C.

I hope it's good :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Looking for a decently priced Android tablet that can run most current stuff and could work with a Straight Talk data plan. I currently have a nexus 7 which I otherwise like but looking to maybe swap it out for something than can run a data plan.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So is there no surface pro thread? Figured enough people would have one to justify it

Expensive as gently caress but I really dig my pro 4 with dock and 34" monitor

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I just lost my iPad Air 1 on holiday and am looking to replace it. My instinct is to just go for the iPad Air 2, but I haven't kept up with the tech at all since I bought my last one and was surprised to read that there has only been 1 iteration since then?

The main thing that would get me to go iPad again is that obviously I have bought a few apps, but I haven't ruled out anything yet. Is there another iPad refresh due soon?

This is entirely for personal/leisure use, I don't need it for any work or business reasons.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

kaesarsosei posted:

I just lost my iPad Air 1 on holiday and am looking to replace it. My instinct is to just go for the iPad Air 2, but I haven't kept up with the tech at all since I bought my last one and was surprised to read that there has only been 1 iteration since then?

The main thing that would get me to go iPad again is that obviously I have bought a few apps, but I haven't ruled out anything yet. Is there another iPad refresh due soon?

This is entirely for personal/leisure use, I don't need it for any work or business reasons.

iPads could come out in October, but they don't launch as consistently as iPhone so who knows what the gently caress Apple has planned.

The iPad Pro 9.7 is actually the newest, it's a bit faster than the Air and has some extra stuff to it. The main things are more RAM, Apple Pencil support, stereo speakers and a true tone display that adapts to your environment or whatever. They're def all extra features, so if you don't feel you need those, the Air 2 is a great upgrade from the 1, and there have been specials on it since the pro came out.

So probably Air 2, or wait until October.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Is an LG G pad a decent option for a 4G usable tablet? The V410 is about $120 on Amazon.

Pug Smugly
Apr 5, 2011
Is there any reason not to get a 4th gen ipad. It'll just be for media consumption/internet browsing. I figured it has a retina screen and I can save a few bux. Am I going to get killed with iOS updates or other stuff.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I wouldn't. It has a 32-bit processor so it's already being cut off from various OS features (content/ad blocking isn't available, for instance), and at four years old, it's due to be cut off of updates any time now (granted, it's getting iOS 10, but who knows if that'll be it). I can't imagine it would be that much cheaper than an iPad Air 1 at this point, which is 64-bit.

Pug Smugly
Apr 5, 2011
Awesome, thanks for the advice. iPad air 1 was the other option so now I have a solid reason to go for that instead.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
This is an odd question, but I'm looking for a small tablet or large phone that has:
1. Waterproof case available.
2. USB OTG Support.
3. Cheap.

I'm trying to use a camera remote control app to run some DSLRs, and need to be able to use USB OTG to control them (no wireless, etc). This will be outside in the elements, so the waterproof/drop-resistant case is a requirement. Also, the screen needs to be 5-7" minimum, but nothing larger. I can use my old Galaxy S4, but the screen is tiny.

::EDIT:: Found a Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 on Amazon Warehouse, with 20% off... snagged that, gonna see how it works out. Should support OTG, screen is good, and has a SUPCASE that's as good as an otterbox.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 12, 2016

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Looking at replacing my Nexus 7 because it has basically no battery life at this point. I don't need anything really fancy or powerful and Amazon has it's fire tablets on sale for 33 bucks, are those allright at handling watching videos and stuff? That's about the most I'd use it for. They also have these fancy 10 inch ones for 150 bucks, and having such a big screen could be fun, but I dunno if that's a good pricepoint anymore, not sure how other brands compete. I'm basically looking at these vs other budget options.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

As Nero Danced posted:

This tablet is the easiest thing to break over your knee and do whatever you want with it. I flashed stock android onto mine and have only had a few little quirks but nothing I would consider a real problem.

Any specific things to watch out for? Amazon started their super duper prime sale and I finally caved and got one of their $50 models for $33.

e: From my experience with my old kindle fire it has a nice screen that is capable (but seemingly not always reliable) of playing video smoothly and well, but I haven't paid attention to the resolution. Certainly better than the rear end-tastic cheapy no name I got at Sears.

nftyw fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jul 12, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mischievous Mink posted:

Looking at replacing my Nexus 7 because it has basically no battery life at this point. I don't need anything really fancy or powerful and Amazon has it's fire tablets on sale for 33 bucks, are those allright at handling watching videos and stuff? That's about the most I'd use it for. They also have these fancy 10 inch ones for 150 bucks, and having such a big screen could be fun, but I dunno if that's a good pricepoint anymore, not sure how other brands compete. I'm basically looking at these vs other budget options.

The screen will be noticeably worse than your N7 and it's probably slower, too.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

The screen will be noticeably worse than your N7 and it's probably slower, too.

Hmph, dang, I really hate being stuck on the Nexus because of the poo poo battery mine has. If fires are kinda wimpy, is there a notably better option for me that isn't more than like 150 bucks?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Well I don't know if it's over yet but today on prime day, they have their fire HD 10 for 150? Sounds perfect for you.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Mischievous Mink posted:

Hmph, dang, I really hate being stuck on the Nexus because of the poo poo battery mine has. If fires are kinda wimpy, is there a notably better option for me that isn't more than like 150 bucks?

You could just replace the battery? 10 minutes, and 30$? Pretty simple job, and you could just keep waiting (like all the other n7 owners) for a replacement that is actually better.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
I want to mount a tablet on the wall in my kitchen. I'd mount it in a custom frame with only the screen visible. Bezel, buttons, and power cable would all be hidden. The tablet would be used for basic purposes:
--Read recipes saved in Google Drive
--Browse the web
--Make Skype (audio) calls
--Control a Chromecast
--Play music
--Display photos when not in use

Because it will stay on the wall, battery life, camera quality, and connectivity (beyond wi-fi) aren't important. Tap to wake would be nice, as would a company that's known for keeping up on updates.

I think almost any Android tablet would meet those requirements (except those ultra-cheap ones that don't have access to Google's services). The thing is that I want a 10 inch screen. It has to be something where I can read the text on a recipe from six feet away. A little 7 inch screen won't be big enough. Can you recommend a 8-10 inch tablet that can meet my basic needs without breaking the bank?

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bagheera posted:

Tap to wake would be nice, as would a company that's known for keeping up on updates.

Bagheera posted:

I think almost any Android tablet would meet those requirements

nope - Nexus tablets get maybe 2-3 years of updates, and then that's it

Every other manufacturer is spotty as hell with updates

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EugeneJ posted:

nope - Nexus tablets get maybe 2-3 years of updates, and then that's it

Every other manufacturer is spotty as hell with updates
FWIW, Google's official policy is guaranteed system updates for two years from release and security updates for the longer of three years from release or 18 months from EOL.

Anyway, "not breaking the bank" makes it a bit difficult. A Nexus 9 would hit all your checks, but they''re $380 on Amazon, which is probably on the higher end. There's always an iPad mini 2. They're $230 refurbished, but at three years old, there's no telling how much longer they'll be updated (though two more years probably isn't unrealistic).

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Hmm I think one of the problems is the 'tap to wake'

You need the ability to use a smart cover or something. If what I imagine is right and your custom frame will likely cover up the power switch, which means you can't wake it up unless you have the smart magnet cover.

And if it's a recipe tablet, are you really that concerned with updates? As long as it runs a Web browser and maybe access a cookbook or kindle app, that's all you need.

To be frank, I bet a used iPad 2 will be just fine.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
With a screen protector on, you could probably dick around with a magnet to find the spot that a smart cover hits, then just use that to tap to wake. The tablet will think you closed and then opened a smart cover quickly. One of those oversized magnetic "pushpins" that office stores sell for magnetic whiteboards would probably work fine (and stick on the fridge for storage).

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Thanks for the replies. Some more details:

Ideally, the frame would cover everything but the screen. The power/lock button, volume rockers, charging cable, etc. would all be hidden in the frame. It would look more decorative than functional. That brings up another question: What's the usual life span on a screen? This screen would be active 24/7. How quick do you think that would burn out?

I did some more research and found that Android's Daydream mode might replace tap-to-wake. I just simply never lock it, and Daydream kicks in like a screensaver when it's left idle. Since it's mounted in my home, there's no concern about leaving it unlocked for x minutes. It can function as a digital picture frame when not in use.

You've got a point about updates. I don't need the latest OS and updates for this tablet. Years ago, my mother bought a cheap Coby brand tablet. I was surprised to find it ran Android but didn't have any Google services. No Gmail, no Drive, no Chrome, not even Play Store. You had to sideload all the apps. I think they saved money by using open-source Android without paying Google for joining their ecosystem. It was worthless. So long as the tablet has Google's apps, that's good enough.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If you're leaving it on all the time, just don't get a Galaxy Tab S. The OLED screen will burn in.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bagheera posted:

You've got a point about updates. I don't need the latest OS and updates for this tablet. Years ago, my mother bought a cheap Coby brand tablet. I was surprised to find it ran Android but didn't have any Google services. No Gmail, no Drive, no Chrome, not even Play Store. You had to sideload all the apps. I think they saved money by using open-source Android without paying Google for joining their ecosystem. It was worthless. So long as the tablet has Google's apps, that's good enough.

This is normal for cheap no-name tablets, and yes, that's why they do it.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

I think screens tend to have lifespans of tens of thousands of hours? Not sure about tablets specifically but a lot of tvs will say 50k to 100k hours of screen time

Your Screensaver might help but you'll get a few good years of it being constantly on I think.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

OLEDs in particular are susceptible to burn in since different subpixels wear at different rates. To to any sure that sells phones and check out phones with OLEDs and you'll notice it since they never turn off these screens. LG solved this on their TVs by making the OLEDs white with a colored array over them

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Does anyone know anything about some of the Chinese brand tablet/laptops? I've got my eye on the Cube i7 Book, which is a 10-inch Windows 10 tablet with detachable keyboard and Wacom pen for the very suspicious price of about $400...

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It's apparently pretty alright enough, but obviously it's not actually an i7, it's a m3. If you don't care about the pen as much, both Acer and Lenovo make what are probably better Core m5 tablets in the same price range as the Aspire Switch 11 and the Ideapad Miix 700.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I care about the pen a lot :qq:

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

So is there no surface pro thread? Figured enough people would have one to justify it

Expensive as gently caress but I really dig my pro 4 with dock and 34" monitor

There was a Windows tablet thread, but it was closed almost exactly last year because of shitposting and fighting.

Speaking of, I actually came in here to ask basically the same question. Is there no thread about Windows 10 tablets anymore?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Windows 10 is good on any platform. Just buy!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Returning to university in a few months - are tablets decent enough now for notes? I had a transformer a few years back, but found the android office packages too clunky (and kept deleting my text).

I was think a surface pro 3, so I can scribble on papers easily. And unlike android I can get mendeley and scrivener syncing. I have a desktop/library computer for the hardcore essay writing and stats crunching, so a full size laptop is probably unnecessary.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Looks decent enough https://youtu.be/lNWTzR_sbvA?t=7m29s

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Minus all the page jumping, glitchy graphics, random jumps to the desktop... yeah, looks greeeeaaaaatttt. :v:

For a college environment, I'd say you actually are right, a Surface would be a good option. The pen integration is actually useful, and the tablet has some balls if you need to crunch some numbers. There are even docks that let you run ethernet, multi-mon, and have a bunch of USB ports for an honest mouse and keyboard... so your desktop may not even be necessary.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

For college, if you don't want to game, a SP4 will replace whatever. The docking is pretty neat (gives you two DP ports and some USB etc), and the i5 and up have enough oomph to do most everything. I'd get the 8GB version if you're only getting a surface pro.

I'm super happy with my SP3, gonna snag a docking for it soon, as prices drop.

E: If you're thinking about getting a used SP3, make sure to check the battery before buying, the number of reported battery failures with SIMPLO batteries is increasing rapidly.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

A SP2 is a decently hefty machine at running stuff and can very easily run games if you know how to mess with the settings and can compromise. An SP3 or 4 would probably be even better.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Friend is asking me about a tablet that has a keyboard and a cell radio as that's the only way they can get online at their place. I immediately said Surface 3 LTE 128GB, there anything similar to give them options or nah that's the way to go?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
HP's got a couple of Windows tablets that have a LTE modem, including the Spectre x2 that's a Surface 4 competitor.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
Dropped my Samsung tab s 8.4 a little too hard, now the screen is bleeding black and purple. Seems to be a total write off.

Now I'm in the market for a new tablet since they stopped selling the tab s 8.4. :argh:

My main uses for it was:
  • an easy to use, portable device when I'm away from my computer with a bigger screen then my phone.
  • Ebooks
  • Comics (so around an 8"+ inch screen is nice)
  • Viewing construction drawings (big pdf's) that I download from dropbox.
  • expandable storage, Comics/manga/pdf's take up a fair amount of space and I have a 128gb micro sd card, so support for up to that size would be nice.

Looking at the nvidia shield k1 or the samsung tab s2 8.0. Anyone have any experience they want to chime in with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Mischievous Mink posted:

You could always try replacing the battery- going by the ifixit guide it doesen't seem too difficult.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Nexus+7+2nd+Generation+Battery+Replacement/36975