Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LFK posted:

Also because it's loving rich that the dude who gave Jurassic World a verbal handjob has decided that lady ghostbusters is the defilement of his childhood that he will not bear.

Of all the soulless nostalgia cash-ins, reboots, and sequels in the last few years, it's Ghostbusters that's a bridge too far? :jerkbag:

Considering it's his favorite film next to Godzilla(the classics)....yeah, it makes perfect sense why it would be a bridge too far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MisterBadIdea posted:

No other remake has been subject to such controversy -- not Total Recall, not Point Break, not Robocop, not any of them.

Maybe they should have. :sigh:

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nqI7pndZo0

Wrestling with Wregret on the top 8 worst Political angles in Wrestling

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

This video suggests that some negative fan reaction to Ghostbusters is due to the project being headed by a parody film director.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GixfiDGhSlk

Is that accurate?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jack Gladney posted:

Seems like he's reading a narrative into performance art there. She's a hyper version of empty pop personalities because the character is a hyperbolic recreation of them, not because there's an ARG about MK ULTRA and the Illuminati underneath the surface.

Why can't it be both?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I don't think the video needed to be made at all but if for some reason it did he could have just said 'hey I know you guys know I love ghostbusters so I'll just clear up now. Not interested in the new movie, probably won't see it, sorry if that's a bummer.'

Instead he did the typical 'ugh but this also ruins the REAL ghostbusters by merely existing' and yea, those are the kinds of ways shitheads talk about the movie, because shockingly the overlap in 'creepy weirdo' and 'ascribes too much inherent value to consuming a movie' is strong. I don't think he's some sexist but it's not like he didn't know the contexts around the movie, he had to know he sounded a lot like those kinds of 'reviewers' in that video and people less familiar with him could easily lump him in with them.

Maybe just don't make a video announcing how little you care about a thing, like, most of the world manages to not make a video publicly saying they're not going to see a summer blockbuster. You can just do that too, like a normal person. Or hell, crazy thought, maybe wait till the movie's out and see what others are saying about it before instantly declaring that you won't ever see it, that's a thing reactionary babymen do.

You know this is the same mindset that drives the "shitheads" you mention.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jul 8, 2016

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Puppy Time posted:

Generally one of two reasons:
1) If it flops, studios will immediately go, "Welp, looks like nobody wants to see movies with womz in them, back to the sausagefest!" like they've always done, while if it's a hit we might maybe get a chance to possibly see one or two more movies that star ladies that AREN'T chick flicks.

2) Nobody wants the smug heard round the world from sexist douches (and/or if it's a huge hit there will be copious outpourings of bitterness from that sector, which is always good for some schadenfreude).

1 is bad, yeah. It's Hollywood being idiots and having movies balloon up in budget just makes every risk almost nonviable. So if this tanks, we'll get less women centered movies.

2 is a bit childish, isn't it? You want to support a (potentially bad) movie just to spite some jackasses?

Also regarding Ghostbusters and other reboots, Comicbookgirl19 did a good video on why we're getting all of these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOttfoJ4ygU

She also did a good video on the Ghostbusters reboot itself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQIuTGfPHvA

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

This video suggests that some negative fan reaction to Ghostbusters is due to the project being headed by a parody film director.

Is that accurate?

I pity any fool who doesn't know Feig from Freaks and Geeks.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi5CsnHoJ1s

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Jsor posted:

Season 1 of Marble Hornets is probably better than EMH, but as an entire series, I'd say EMH easily beats what MH became. I also don't get why some people think Night Mind's narration sounds weird, I find it kinda relaxing. :shrug:

He has a new video on That Poppy, by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmXQKMjEC8E

Titanic Sinclair seems like kind of an rear end in a top hat from his Twitter and non-Poppy videos, though.

It's been a long time since I kept up with Slenderman stuff but EMH became so hilariously convoluted that Hideo Kojima would have checked out of it midway through.

The wiki alone looked like a discarded House of Leaves draft.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jack Gladney posted:

Seems like he's reading a narrative into performance art there. She's a hyper version of empty pop personalities because the character is a hyperbolic recreation of them, not because there's an ARG about MK ULTRA and the Illuminati underneath the surface.

Lol somebody link this dweeb to a random PC music Soundcloud it will blow his mind

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seriously that video is cracking me up

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Is that accurate?

I somehow really doubt there's a huge overlap in 'knows who Feig is' and 'thinks he's just a parody film director'.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hey, look what showed up in my subscription feed!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5DAQlmJ4q0

...oh dear.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

davidHalestorm posted:

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread or not, so forgive me if it's not, but have you guys heard about Night Mind? He's a youtuber that researches and breakdown all this weird and obscure performance art/ARGs from all over the internet.

His channel introduced me to some cool videos and I find his voice pleasant to listen to, but he's also implied Ed and Lorraine Warren were legit authorities on, like, anything.

I'm conflicted, is what I'm saying.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

endolithic posted:

His channel introduced me to some cool videos and I find his voice pleasant to listen to, but he's also implied Ed and Lorraine Warren were legit authorities on, like, anything.

Wait huh? I never seen him reference them in anything. Plus I really don't see how his stuff is bending what happens in stuff like Alan Tutorial and This House Has People in It.

Plus he already said in his video that poppy was a parody of pop culture and didn't say it was an MK ultra ARG.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 8, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Honestly, of all the hosed up and nasty things people believe, saying ghosts are real is drat harmless. I say, rock on ghost dude.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Annointed posted:

Wait huh? I never seen him reference them in anything. Plus I really don't see how his stuff is bending what happens in stuff like Alan Tutorial and This House Has People in It.

Plus he already said in his video that poppy was a parody of pop culture and didn't say it was an MK ultra ARG.

I mean he did have that bit at the end about how she might have hypnosis trigger words that could act as the lead in to an ARG type thing but that was just speculation.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CelticPredator posted:

Honestly, of all the hosed up and nasty things people believe, saying ghosts are real is drat harmless. I say, rock on ghost dude.

The Warrens are human garbage who went into houses with, say, a drunk father, a child showing sexual and physical abuse, and a wife with bruises who claims she got them in her sleep, and said "YEP DEMONS DID THIS, THIS WAS DEMONS FOR SURE" and then later would say 'pft yea we knew that was all bullshit' as if that doesn't make them even worse people. It's not so much 'believe in ghosts' as it is 'both of these trash people should burn in Hell'.

But this conflict is nothing new, The Conjuring was a fuckin solid horror movie...

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I somehow really doubt there's a huge overlap in 'knows who Feig is' and 'thinks he's just a parody film director'.

I've seen quite a few people saying "wait & see" on the new Ghostbusters just because Feig is kinda infamous for good comedies with awful trailers.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I Before E posted:

I mean he did have that bit at the end about how she might have hypnosis trigger words that could act as the lead in to an ARG type thing but that was just speculation.

Yeah but again he said just speculation not a tinfoil ARG akin to a DarkNet plot. Like every video he makes a point to say that all this is just fiction and not real life. He even avoided Meatsleep because of the real life damages the main investigator of the series has done.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
He should do a metal video and talk about all the spooky subliminal messages and symbols they are trying to slip past you.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hahahaha

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Ooh looke at me with muh baits

Anyways here's a new video from Ross, Polish Diablo Clone Well of Souls.

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=f-5AGFf_IOg

You can almost see the actors reading off their lines in a booth.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

He should do a metal video and talk about all the spooky subliminal messages and symbols they are trying to slip past you.

I'd listen to him read a crazy satanic panic tract from the 70s, sure

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
I wish I could find more information on This Is My Milwaukee. Come on Night Mind. Do it.

I'll buy you a hamBURger when I get BACK from the TOOOMB!

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

endolithic posted:

I am also not sure if he believes this stuff or just referencing them because they are good for building up the atmosphere. The Ben Drowned video had some things that he cut but with things like the Slender Man stabbing I wouldn't be surprised if he removes things to make sure his younger audience doesn't do anything stupid. (I remember being 13 and believing in supernatural poo poo I am just glad I didn't have the internet then.)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

MrSlam posted:

I wish I could find more information on This Is My Milwaukee. Come on Night Mind. Do it.

I'll buy you a hamBURger when I get BACK from the TOOOMB!

Information? It's a documentary about what life is like here. What else do you need to know?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Shaded Spriter posted:

I am also not sure if he believes this stuff or just referencing them because they are good for building up the atmosphere. The Ben Drowned video had some things that he cut but with things like the Slender Man stabbing I wouldn't be surprised if he removes things to make sure his younger audience doesn't do anything stupid. (I remember being 13 and believing in supernatural poo poo I am just glad I didn't have the internet then.)

He makes a point to say in his comment section and videos that none of what he covers is real.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jul 8, 2016

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yeah at no point have I gotten the impression that he believes any of this junk is real, just that he gets excited about his pet theories and doesn't double-check whether the material actually supports them. (And/or strings together coincidences to come up with ideas that're kind of reaching.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bennett reviews a lovely Evangelion knockoff called De:Vadasy.
Complete with out of place, horribly realized sexual assault.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Annointed posted:

It was during The Wyoming Incident video, I think, when he's talking about the spooky ritual. I'm fine with not showing that kind of thing out of concern for people's mental well being or to keep kids from doing stupid poo poo, but adding "seriously guys, you shouldn't do this because these frauds say so!!!" was kind of dumb. To be fair, maybe he was just referencing them for atmosphere and the Warrens and their ilk just get my hackles up too easily, but I'd prefer if he just let the stories be spooky and not inject his own spookiness. v:v:v

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Augus posted:

Hey, look what showed up in my subscription feed!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5DAQlmJ4q0

...oh dear.

I don't have time to watch this but someone in the comments complains that Superman doesn't smile

lol

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Testekill posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nqI7pndZo0

Wrestling with Wregret on the top 8 worst Political angles in Wrestling

I'm not sure if Stand Up for WWE really counts as an angle, but it's still pretty awful. But that's just me being nitpicky. Brian Zane's probably one of the better wrestling YouTubers out there. Especially when you consider some of the people he's tried to work with:

https://youtu.be/bNlm10le0m4

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

endolithic posted:

It was during The Wyoming Incident video, I think, when he's talking about the spooky ritual. I'm fine with not showing that kind of thing out of concern for people's mental well being or to keep kids from doing stupid poo poo, but adding "seriously guys, you shouldn't do this because these frauds say so!!!" was kind of dumb. To be fair, maybe he was just referencing them for atmosphere and the Warrens and their ilk just get my hackles up too easily, but I'd prefer if he just let the stories be spooky and not inject his own spookiness. v:v:v

Yeah, he mentioned it might have "paranormal implications" for half a second which was eyerolly, but he was mainly concerned about panic attacks. I looked up the ritual though and I'm really not convinced it's dangerous to anybody without some serious, serious, serious anxiety or PTSD problems. Like, you probably had to have been hospitalized for it as some point problems.

Here's the part he omitted:

quote:

> You are to do this alone. Turn off the lights in the room you choose
> to do this in. The only sounds should be outside noises, your own
> breathing, and music that you choose yourself. The music must unnerve
> you in some way or another. Do not play the music anywhere near full
> volume. Playing it faintly works best.
>
> If you can, I suggest you loop one of the videos on your pc or, if you
> have burned them to a DVD for some reason, over your television. This
> is not necessary, though it is extremely useful.
>
> There are now two choices you can make: close your eyes/blindfold
> yourself or keep them open. Generally speaking, the closing of eyes is
> the most effective, but results vary.
>
> If you keep your eyes open, face a doorway or window. The door may
> only stay open if the hallway outside of it is dark and mostly empty.
> If not, it stays closed. Focus on the doorway/window. Imagine
> something horrible opening it or busting it down if it is closed. If
> you have the hallway, imagine a figure slowly walking down it towards
> you. If you face a window, imagine something staring it at you.
> Imagine something trying to claw its way in. Focus and imagine.
>
> If you keep your eyes closed, face away from any doors. Placing
> yourself so that you face a corner is best. Imagine something sneaking
> up behind you. Imagine some hurting you while you are in this
> vulnerable position. Imagine the wonder and sadness your relatives
> will feel as they find your corpse in a dark room, hunched over in a
> corner. Blood covers the wall.
>
> Imagine stuff that bothers you. Imagine stuff that makes you nervous.
> Imagine all of the ways you could possibly be hurt while doing this.
> Imagine the freak possibility of some unrelated, deranged killer
> slitting your throat during this ritual. Imagine.
>
> Force yourself to stay in this position.
>
> You will eventually feel a great sense of relief. In one shining
> moment, you will know that everything will be okay. You will know that
> you will live. It will be relief in its purest form.
>
> [...]
>
> If this feeling of hope does not happen within thirty-minutes, you can quit.

I can't imagine it'd be a fun experience. But dangerous? You'd be in more danger tripping over your night stand after turning off the lights than you would be with a crazy panic attack. Like maybe you shouldn't go to that place if you literally suffer from war or rape flashbacks, but it's not going to hurt some dumb teenager trying it for lulz.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
I also think that's just him covering his rear end rather than any paranormal, since apparently the one person that tried it got panic attacks, which is unverified, I don't think.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The new Anime Abandon's out. It's certainly a thing, I didn't think a show could rip off a successful property so badly while not understanding how and why certain concepts and scenes worked for it, but there De:Vadasy. :munch:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I don't have time to watch this but someone in the comments complains that Superman doesn't smile

lol

Comic nerds loving adore Grant Morrison's All-Star Superman. To them that's the only way to do Superman and any deviation from that is Doing Superman Wrong™. I tend to zone out of the rest of their review since I know I won't find anything really insightful from them. They think they want that Superman on film but comic nerds don't know what they want when it comes to Superman in a film adaptation.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The new Anime Abandon's out. It's certainly a thing, I didn't think a show could rip off a successful property so badly while not understanding how and why certain concepts and scenes worked for it, but there De:Vadasy. :munch:

I'm curious what Bennett's next episode could be, and what could possibly fit all his criteria listed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
What does ARG stand for?

• Locked thread