Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Aardmania posted:

Heathcliff

Still better than Gilchrist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

WickedHate posted:

:stonk: Jesus Christ. :stonk:

"We should stop endlessly fetishizing the past" is a good message in a Nancy comic compared to the Gilchrist ones.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Page 190 should be dedicated to mocking Guy Gilchrist.

...cum-dripping slave Leia doesn't look family friendly to me.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jul 8, 2016

Sharay
Apr 19, 2008

Slammy posted:

And He Did.

First one in a while that doesn't work as "And He Died!"

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Aardmania posted:

Pigborn in a Wahoo Terminal

This whole self-flagellation "comic" strip only makes sense when you accept that Norman is a self-insert for Brooke, who is inwardly mortified about his breast size.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Retail

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

:mad:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

The Amazing Spider-Man

And what about all the innocent civilians the evil wizard guy dragged into this realm with him?

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Isn't this where Spider-Man should be rubbing the back of his head and saying, "I guess in some nutty way, I win!!" instead of cowering behind Strange?

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Y'know, I honestly did not see this coming.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Nobody expects the incest comic.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Peanuts (July 12, 1968)

Remind Me Again Why I'm Friends With A Smug rear end in a top hat-bean

Crankshaft

Does Ed even have a bank account somewhere, or did he just spend the day running around town until somebody gave him a couple of bucks just to get rid of him?

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (January 25, 1930)

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Ms Boods posted:

My gut reaction was a lot of ':rant:Jesus Christ on a two-stroke engine moped, leaving aside the point that Dionysius Exiguus won't be coming up with the A. D. dating system for a few more centuries (and that Nero's name is in English)*, why in the name of gently caress would Nero base the year around the then-tiny Christian sect - whom he allowed to be the scapegoats for the fire in 64 and used as human tiki torches in his garden consequently -- dude was so mean to the Christians that even Tacitus, who didn't like Nero, though he'd gone too far with that one, and arrgghhhh:rant:'

then I saw the size of the coin relatively speaking to Gildersleeve's thumb there, and realised, oooooh, it's just a chocolate coin, and matey is taking the piss. Early mornng zen reachieved.

Carry on.

* I know -- in Gasoline Alley's world, Jesus spoke English, &c.

The coin actually changes size in every single panel. Second panel has it suddenly like the size of his drat face before it suddenly shrinks down, but it's still bigger in the third than it is in the first. There's some real wizard poo poo going on with this coin appraiser guy.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

dordreff posted:

The coin actually changes size in every single panel. Second panel has it suddenly like the size of his drat face before it suddenly shrinks down, but it's still bigger in the third than it is in the first. There's some real wizard poo poo going on with this coin appraiser guy.

I'm totally ignoring the comic strip's implication that a coin in, say, the reign of Julius Caesar's would have like 45 B. C. actually struck on it.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Savidudeosoo posted:

Y'know, I honestly did not see this coming.

A sobering reminder that dating someone to piss off your parents is even more stupid when you're a theoretical adult.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

EasyEW posted:

Rip Haywire

The absolute lack of motion in the last panel is killing me here. Rip Haywire is great.

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts: Year Five (February 28-March 2, 1955)

Also, I really enjoy this. It speaks to me.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

I suspect that the source of this week's "hilarity" was Batiuk not being allowed to dump off a bunch of loose change at a bank because it was unrolled (shock of shocks, banks are incredibly careful about the exact amounts their tellers are handling and consequently will usually only accept rolled coins), then using a CoinStar or off-brand equivalent and getting mad when he selected cash, rather than a gift card, and was charged a nominal convenience fee.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

SomeMathGuy posted:

I suspect that the source of this week's "hilarity" was Batiuk not being allowed to dump off a bunch of loose change at a bank because it was unrolled (shock of shocks, banks are incredibly careful about the exact amounts their tellers are handling and consequently will usually only accept rolled coins), then using a CoinStar or off-brand equivalent and getting mad when he selected cash, rather than a gift card, and was charged a nominal convenience fee.

This almost reads like an adverstisement for CoinStar. Like now some young person or other will come in waving a stack of cash and say, "Hey, I just emptied a whole jar of pennies into a CoinStar machine and I got so much money and it was SO EASY!" This whole week has been like the comic strip equivalent of As Seen On TV World

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Julet Esqu posted:

This almost reads like an adverstisement for CoinStar. Like now some young person or other will come in waving a stack of cash and say, "Hey, I just emptied a whole jar of pennies into a CoinStar machine and I got so much money and it was SO EASY!" This whole week has been like the comic strip equivalent of As Seen On TV World

Huh, yeah, it really is one exclamation of "There's got to be a better way!" shy of that lunacy.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

I think a long plane ride is a pretty good premise for a week of comic strips. You could come up with some good gags. But this "I had no idea the trip to Hong Kong is long" is not one of them.

SomeMathGuy posted:

This is a little off topic but last time I went to a Coinstar to see what they offered to exchange coins for cash, the fee was 11%, which I don't consider "nominal." I think it's excessive.

F Minus

Mary Worth

"Ok, doc, got it! Vicodin, Vicodin, and Vicodin."

Rex Morgan MD

Hey what's with the slam on barnside billboard painters out of nowhere? It's a fine occupation that fulfills an important social function.

Secret Agent X-9

Oh so I guess they had to beat them to shore because otherwise they'll all run off and they'll likely never find them then. That actually sounds accurate for the time. The 30s was a good time to be a criminal.

Apartment 3-G

Middle panel guy is awesome. "Me? Duhhhh ok. Yup."

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

Cool! We get to meet Sarah's previous incarnation before she transferred her demon soul to June Morgan's womb.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Hey what's with the slam on barnside billboard painters out of nowhere? It's a fine occupation that fulfills an important social function.

They'll be snarking on anteaters next.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Just when I get interested and think Rex Morgan may be more exciting than already rich people getting richer week after week.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Just when I get interested and think Rex Morgan may be more exciting than already rich people getting richer week after week.

I'm hoping it's just a case of a lowly comics creator taking a chance to jerk off to the idea of a lowly comics creator being buried under an avalanche of money and once he gets it out of his system things will get better.

I'm not saying that's what I believe will happen. Just hoping.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Moving. Spiritually enriching. Sublime. “High” art, or, Gasoline Alley

Phoebe and her Unicorn, or, Heavenly Nostrils

Middle School Action Comics!, or, Big Nate

Descent into Madness, or, Ziggy

Ye Olde Fox Trot

Only serial killers and perverts find watching golf entertaining.

Best Comic in the Thread, or, Cul de Sac

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

I read all of this in caveman speak.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Yes, this is exactly how 18 year old people talk.

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

Such a great strip - thanks for posting it!

Comics!
Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

:words:

Outbursts of Everett True

And He Did.

Guess If They Are Married!

Whoops Sisters

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Dave’s Delicatessen (click for big)

Mopsy

Feiffer (click for big)

Jaf

Wee Pals (click for big)

Mr. Tweedy

Andy Capp (click for big)

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

SomeMathGuy posted:

No, they don't. Most banks have coin sorting machines on hand for situations exactly like that. If you come in with a bunch of neatly rolled quarters then it all means is that you stuck a bunch of either slugs or lesser valued foreign currency in them. They'll have to waste time opening them up before dumping them in the machine, and nobody wants that.

e: unless we're talking about some run-down branch on nowhere street, then they MIGHT not have one. That'd be the exception, though.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Do US banks not have coin bags? Do they not trust people to count, or do they think someone will work out the perfect alloy to make it weight the right amount without being worth more?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Wanamingo posted:

No, they don't. Most banks have coin sorting machines on hand for situations exactly like that. If you come in with a bunch of neatly rolled quarters then it all means is that you stuck a bunch of either slugs or lesser valued foreign currency in them. They'll have to waste time opening them up before dumping them in the machine, and nobody wants that.

e: unless we're talking about some run-down branch on nowhere street, then they MIGHT not have one. That'd be the exception, though.
Wow, poo poo, my mistake. Although that kind of just makes the strip seem more egregious.

SomeMathGuy fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 9, 2016

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

goatface posted:

Do US banks not have coin bags? Do they not trust people to count, or do they think someone will work out the perfect alloy to make it weight the right amount without being worth more?

Never heard of those before today, but what do you expect will happen when somebody tries to deposit one and the weight is off? The teller's not going to stand there and count it up by hand, they'll just dump it into a sorting machine and see what's what. It's not like they're particularly expensive. I'm with Batuik on this one, if some old guy comes in with a sock full of a few hundred pennies then any branch worth their salt should be able to accommodate him.

Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

The line is "a nice reliant automobile", because it's a play on words, you dolt!

To be fair, I guess both hearing and memory are on their way out for most pluggers.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

goatface posted:

*Weigh*
*Divide by weight of a quarter*
"yes this is uh... 3245 quarters"

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

ukonvasara posted:

The line is "a nice reliant automobile", because it's a play on words, you dolt!

To be fair, I guess both hearing and memory are on their way out for most pluggers.

I feel like old age is no excuse for screwing up the meter, though.

That said if oldies stations in Midlothian, VA are playing BNL that actually sounds kind of awesome so clearly Pluggers have it alright.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The bags I've used are "£1 in pennies" and so on. They're for a number of coins (<100) of the same type, equal to a nice round number.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
fortknox

quote:

No, You two CAN’T be Normal Again!
No, You two CAN’T be Friends.
A-Ha, So You ADMIT You were Chasing Star-Head, Bernice, Ah?
Hey, Is THAT a Dead Rabbit???

quote:

Love means never having to say…..

“….Here’s that check for your washing machine repair. The cable repair guy says he’s almost done, and I hope your cat is doing better. I hear tomato sauce will get that skunk odor out in a week, and my own vet says that the purple coloring and the similarity to a blueberry is a normal reaction to that sort of thing, and he should be back to normal, soon….”

quote:

“The Grapes Of Rash”
“A Craizin’ In The Sun”
“Citizen Insane”
“The Burning Bridges Of Maudlin County”
“I May Need A Tequila, Mockingbird!”
“Try Hard”
“Raiders Of The Lost Spark”
“Ex Men And Women”
“Dial M For Mistake”
“How Green Was My Alley?”
“Nineteen Hundred Eighty Four Dollars”