Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

It'll be kind of bizarre if they actually do rope Dana Carvey into doing a Seeso show + a podcast for Earwolf

he kept implying that he was doing or wanted to do some sort of podcast with his sons so maybe it could be a thing?

i remember being surprised when he did a voice on an episode of "you must remember this"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Dana Carvey is a dude I'd absolutely adore if he could pull back like 10%, and maybe not try to force so many pop culture references from 25+ years ago followed by "MILLENNIALS won't get that one heh heh."

But I genuinely like him otherwise, and it was adorable hearing Scott and the other guys in the room so tickled to have him in the room.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I just find it impossible to think about him without Master of Disguise coming into my head. It's amazing how that 90 minutes will tarnish everything he's ever done.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
I've always enjoyed Dana Carvey, and even in Master of Disguise he has his moments (very few, but his Quint impression is great). The thing is I've always felt like he's another Robin Williams in his comedy style, which made his comment that he always tried to be like him not surprise me at all. He can have some really hilarious jokes and impressions, but the problem is that's about 20% of what he comes up with, and we still have to hear the other 80.

His Jay Leno fly fishing just killed me though. Everyone does the cliche Jay impression, but he adds enough to make it great. Could have done with much less "kids today" stuff though.

Still an awesome episode, Gemberling is always great, and Tarver definitely is finding his groove as a regular guest.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Think I fell asleep just as Gemberling came out but yeah, really enjoyed the first portion of the show. He does come across as a good dude and dug his sincerity about new media.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

I've always enjoyed Dana Carvey, and even in Master of Disguise he has his moments (very few, but his Quint impression is great). The thing is I've always felt like he's another Robin Williams in his comedy style, which made his comment that he always tried to be like him not surprise me at all. He can have some really hilarious jokes and impressions, but the problem is that's about 20% of what he comes up with, and we still have to hear the other 80.

His Jay Leno fly fishing just killed me though. Everyone does the cliche Jay impression, but he adds enough to make it great. Could have done with much less "kids today" stuff though.

Still an awesome episode, Gemberling is always great, and Tarver definitely is finding his groove as a regular guest.

Master of disguise was probably the first movie I watched where I realized that movies could be bad. I used to enjoy everything, but this movie essentially taught me that people that you like can do things that are not good.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Dana seems a nice enough guy, but as someone just a tad too young to like Wayne's World, he's the most knob-slobbered comic around.

The Jay and Cosby impressions were great though.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Dana was fine but he sucked all the air out of the room and didn't give the character find of 2016, little damnit man, room to breathe.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
I'm good on little kids that swear and have violent tendencies, I get why it's funny but fourvel and kid detectives are are enough for me when it comes to "that's not what someone that age should be saying" stuff.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I just like when people do characters with paper thin premises (see: paul mccartney likes malls + is now called mall mccartney)

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Nothing will be funnier than Dana Carvey calling Seeso "the bottom rung of Hollywood" moments before Scott lets him know he produces multiple shows for them.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Help Im Alive posted:

I just like when people do characters with paper thin premises (see: paul mccartney likes malls + is now called mall mccartney)

"And what's your name sir?"

"Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Barn......... Schwarts....."

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Golden Bee posted:

Dana seems a nice enough guy, but as someone just a tad too young to like Wayne's World, he's the most knob-slobbered comic around.

The Jay and Cosby impressions were great though.

A tad too young? The movie is good without reservation and inspite of things that clearly date it.

Also I did like how he poo poo on Seeso because it is generally bad. Including the god awful interface and stuttering video

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It seems like jumping into voice acting is really a good place to go for Carvey at this point. As an under 30 person who tends to be really familiar with a lot of older media, his Leno/Dennis Miller/Bush Sr. etc. impressions still feel unbearably ancient. Carson is someone who kind of transcends that and has stayed at least a bit more in the historical pop culture eye, but really who hasn't heard 1000 Carson impressions?

The only way to really capitalize on that is something someone of his generation probably wouldn't be able to pull off, like Connor O'Malley's kind of brilliant hate gently caress of the 80s and 90s where he plays Carson. Carvey just seems too chill to be willing or able to drag himself into modern sensibilities.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

soggybagel posted:

Also I did like how he poo poo on Seeso because it is generally bad. Including the god awful interface and stuttering video

So it's like Howl for TV shows?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Gargamel Gibson posted:

So it's like Howl for TV shows?

Yes, but you can subscribe to seeso through amazon video thus bypassing the poo poo interface and performance unlike howl.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'm at the tail end of the 2016 live eps and despite their waning energy and whiny Scott intros, Big Chunky Bubbles has made me laugh more than anything and I have no idea why. PFT has to bring that character back. That voice chiding Scott is better than all others.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
I don't really care what he does as long as he can get his sons a bunch of oppertunites to say their great movie pun jokes.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Help Im Alive posted:

i'm glad someone else likes mall mccartney, he should come back and hang out with john

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's the dream. I wonder if there'll ever be a Ringo (although I still like the theory that John is in fact Ringo pretending to be John).

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Come to think of it, his John impression sounds exactly like Ringo's actual voice.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Parallax posted:

i'm glad someone else likes mall mccartney, he should come back and hang out with john

Mall McCartney, Bill CosbyBukowski, Sappity Tappity, and also just him being Jon Daly....all paper thin but good.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Didn't Jon Daly show up as a tree for one episode.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Sappity Tappity showed up in a few?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Please welcome our sponsor, a series of Amish romance novels that also include lots of honey-centric recipes.

Who the hell is the audience for this show, anyways

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I was really confused as to whether or not that was a joke ad. To be fair I had just woken up and hadn't had coffee yet but still. What the hell

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Sounds like one of those hundreds of mystery novels my mom reads that have weirdly specific themes like pets or breakfast

also I didn't listen to much of it but this sounds like one of those episodes that could really use a Geno-type co-host

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I really like Aparna but this episode is a bit limp.

Maybe it's just the comedown from that incredible ad. Set the bar way too high.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

The Berzerker posted:

I was really confused as to whether or not that was a joke ad. To be fair I had just woken up and hadn't had coffee yet but still. What the hell

It's real, and all three of the books are coming out in the span of 3 months. This is the new model, apparently.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
So evidently the new Earwolf ads are all for terrible terrible things. Amish romance novels and tequila from entourage.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

soggybagel posted:

So evidently the new Earwolf ads are all for terrible terrible things. Amish romance novels and tequila from entourage.

I don't pay attention to the ads but I wonder if there was any blow back from Howl removing ads after 6 months. Did any potential advertiser think "well, we used to get years to of these ads but no one is going to hear them after 6 months. Let's not bother."

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Finished listening to the 2016 tour shows. I love it.

Are there any good photos/videos from them? I definitely missed some stuff with that one character that one time. And I'm curious what Lapkus looked like given she sounded like she was cracking up about 40% of the time, and I'd like to think PFT still attends in full costume.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

VagueRant posted:

Finished listening to the 2016 tour shows. I love it.

I don't care.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I recently finished them too and I gotta give Tim Baltz the MVP for his string of episodes towards the end. They were a nice break from the wacky characters, especially the Guy's Guy who is pretty sure his wife is gonna be mad that he lost their child.

Someone posted a pic of Hanford as John Lennon but it was 1964 Lennon and I was really disappointed that he wasn't going out there in a flowing white robe and beard.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

tnimark posted:

I don't care.

Nice Leykis Impression

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Nice Leykis Impression

It was actually the Icona Pop special

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

ManoliIsFat posted:

It was actually the Icona Pop special

I don't care

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

ElCondemn posted:

I don't care

I love it

...aaaaand 15 more minutes

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I like that Ming fella and his constant derision of the other guest. I'd like to see him come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah when the improv started, the episode definitely picked up. Opening guest seemed pleasant enough, but I find it pretty hard to care about a more straight interview portion with someone I've not heard of and am unfamiliar with. Whenever Scott oversells the intro I know it's never going to be a great one. Haven't finished the whole thing yet mind.