Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

evenworse username posted:

Rhupert's songs working on jacks is confirmed as being part of the errata.

God drat, all I wanted to do was play music to my robots.

goddammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Wizard Styles posted:

Has anyone played with the Fane Knight in Mk3? His output looks pretty anemic for such an expensive solo, but a Shield Guard that can easily reach twentysomething ARM against shooting shouldn't be too bad.

Also, I just now saw they're releasing the Kaelyssa resculpt as a metal model in September. Which means I'll stick to Helynna for now, I guess.

Fane knight is 4 mk2 points, can be healed by the lyss Healer, gained shield guard, and all for losing rapid strike which I found useful in about 40% of mk2 games.

He's drat near auto include.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

it's fine, he can still sing concealment or tough to Severius, we're still okay

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

GEMorris posted:

Fane knight is 4 mk2 points, can be healed by the lyss Healer, gained shield guard, and all for losing rapid strike which I found useful in about 40% of mk2 games.

He's drat near auto include.

I'd honestly rather have the Aspis in most cases. Cheaper cost, a ton more boxes, heals for free and I've found beatback more useful lategame to clear a zone/flag than I have one big POW 15 attack. The loss of rapid strike has dropped him from all of my lists, unfortunately.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

mp5 posted:

it's fine, he can still sing concealment or tough to Severius, we're still okay

Kills me that he won't play with Khador. I can't think of a solo that I wouldn't give up to get him.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

fnordcircle posted:

Kills me that he won't play with Khador. I can't think of a solo that I wouldn't give up to get him.

You can have him if you give up Alton Ashley, aka grevious wound on a stick.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Khisanth Magus posted:

You can have him if you give up Alton Ashley, aka grevious wound on a stick.

Done. If I could have a 33% chance of surviving in games where it took the last shot to kill my caster I think I'd trade my first born.

Ysera
Feb 19, 2012

Playing and painting poorly.

fnordcircle posted:

Done. If I could have a 33% chance of surviving in games where it took the last shot to kill my caster I think I'd trade my first born.

Play any of the Butchers and laugh all the way to the bank. Best of both worlds.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
Butcher getting tough was like Christmas.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Fbbbt if your caster is taking any meaningful damage then you made the mistake of not playing Vlad2

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

fnordcircle posted:

Butcher getting tough was like Christmas.

I was surprised when I noticed Siege getting it too. Possibly because he survived a near-bisection at the hands of the Butcher (where the gently caress is Siege 2 PP?)

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

gannyGrabber posted:

Fbbbt if your caster is taking any meaningful damage then you made the mistake of not playing Vlad2

Vlad2's my favorite so I can definitely get behind this. Only caster I've won with so far, but I've been playing with the new toys and leaving the Sorscha's and Butchers for later. Delayed gratification.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I keep forgetting to roll tough for all my pigs. Mk3 is such a burden.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I keep forgetting to roll tough for all my pigs. Mk3 is such a burden.

So far I'm 2 for 3 on tough rolls on Amon. An excellent way of frustrating people!

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I tend to run a lot of doomies, so the tough hate has hurt my feelings.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

fnordcircle posted:

I tend to run a lot of doomies, so the tough hate has hurt my feelings.

*plays Trolls*

Lol

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Fyrbrand posted:

*plays Trolls*

Lol

As someone who'd rather lose a fast game than win a long one, no faction with a 7 fury caster with Starcrossed will ever get my sympathy.

edit: omg 8 *dies*

fnordcircle fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jul 8, 2016

Ysera
Feb 19, 2012

Playing and painting poorly.

fnordcircle posted:

As someone who'd rather lose a fast game than win a long one, no faction with a 7 fury caster with Starcrossed will ever get my sympathy.

edit: omg 8 *dies*

She got bumped to 8 fury! Even better!

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Ysera posted:

She got bumped to 8 fury! Even better!

I had her for a while and another one of my crew (squad) did too so after a while we decided to shelve her and I honestly can't remember if she was 7 or 8 in Mk2.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
Thought on what to add in week 2 to a Ret Journeyman army?

Options:
Aspis - Doesn't seem to really bring anything, since I'm not too worried about being shot off the board in week 2. The upside is that's 4 more points for next week, I guess.
Chimera - Thus far my main chimera action has been as an arcnode, but Heleyna has poo poo she'd like to arc, so a second arcnode isn't necessarily bad.
Gorgon - Polarity cannon seems like it could be useful with Heleyna's yoyo ability
Griffon - I've managed to get decent damage in with the one in the battlebox primarily due to getting the charge in. I could see another working out given the very limited choices.

Thoughts?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Are you and/or Susan Cog people of import somehow? I've had a good experience with exactly two people that I've met that I know are Cog players in the Portland local area, and the rest have been, at best, pure rules lawyering, netlisty, unfun power gaming shitlords. Lucas, the PG from Salem and JC, the skorne Mexican guy from Portland are the two stand out folks. I'm pretty sure aside from JC and Lucas most Cog guys are disinvited from Nexus games for their behavior.

I don't bring this up to paint the group whole cloth as shitlords, but to try to find out if we just met the worst of the bunch and/or find out where the chill guys are. We've got 34 or 35 people participating in our journeyman league right now, and I can think of 5 or 6 that are interested in moving up to steamroller level play. If there was a cool guys club of chill cog dudes that weren't the righteous assholes, I think there could be some interest in trying to build some bridges.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

koreban posted:

pure rules lawyering, netlisty, unfun power gaming

oh come on

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
hey guys who's ready for our first casual vs competitive pissing contest in the new thread

gotta break it in, let's make this a good one :munch:

jubelio
Dec 10, 2003
if you can balance a tac-hammer on your head, you can head off your opponent with a balanced attack

Magres posted:

hey guys who's ready for our first casual vs competitive pissing contest in the new thread

Hold on, gotta get my composition scoring sheet and netlist database pulled up here. Alright lets get neck beardy.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Magres posted:

We made it at least 10 pages :unsmith:

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

I netlisted the Texicon champion Pissing Contest list, i'm ready to fuckin go

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

S.J. posted:

oh come on

One guy introduced a new player to the game by bottom of turn 1 assassination after telling him everyone just runs forward turn 1. Another guy dropped Denny + banes into a guy playing his first non-battlebox game. The PG from a shop in Vancouver played pre-errata Hayley2 into literally everyone.

All of this while we were maybe 3 weeks into trying to get introduced to the game, inviting Cog guys to help demo it for us. Our current PG was really excited about the game and had played for maybe 3 months at that point, mostly against his brother. He invited them hoping that as more knowledgeable players they could teach interested players the game.

The final straw was when we spoke with one of the older guys about maybe teaching people by giving them an idea of what might happen or pull a few punches so that the new guys could roll a die or two before blowing them off the table. His response was "Page 5."

The store manager told them they weren't going to be welcome back. The PG from the Vancouver store got reported to Hungerford and last I heard from Lucas was removed from the PG program. I ended up not picking up the game again for over a year, and even now I hate playing steamroller. I'm trying to work my way up to comfort with the format. I've mentioned this story or significant parts of it in the mk2 thread.

This was my shop's and my own personal experience with Cog people. I was surprised when I saw the link posted to their forum here because this is generally a pretty chill group and that just wasn't the experience I knew based on past encounters with them.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist

eskimaux posted:

Hey, really new WMH player here. I'm starting a Journeyman league (as Minions and Barnabas like the 2 guys earlier!). I've been planning my list progression but would appreciate any advice/criticism. Bear in mind I have very little idea what I'm doing...

Week 1:
Barnabus, Wrastler (16), Boneswarm (7), Bull Snapper (5)

Week 2 (EO changed to 15 pts)
+ Ironback Spitter (15)

Week 3 (30/30)
+ Targ (4), Alten Ashley (5), Totem Hunter (6)

Week 4 (44/45)
+ Bog Trog Trawler (3), Min Gatorman Posse (11)

Week 5 (58/60) The EO allowed to swap out one beast for another as long as the points are used for beasts only
+ Increase Min to Max Gatorman Posse (+7), Swap out Boneswarm for Swamp Horror (14)

Week 6 (75/75)
+Wrong Eye and Snapjaw(17)

Any help would be appreciated

I see a few things I would change here. First I like the spitter but I would switch around when you buy him. I wouldn't take Targ this early in the game either. He does work nicely with the Spitter but he is better off as a later purchase if you really want to use him. Barney doesn't have a lot of spells but an amphibious unit should be your top purchase. Min gators is 11 points which leaves you with 4 to buy a different solo I would recommend Saxon Orik primarily because he has an ability to give your gators pathfinder. Another option which could be good is Victor Pendrake. Just be aware that Victor will not work with Saxon because he hates him. If you get Victor or Saxon having Alten as well will be overkill (there is a certain amount of overlap in their roles). I am not a fan of the Trawler so this may be influencing my judgment but for his cost you can get Lanyssa Ryssyl or a Gremlin Swarm both of which will cause a lot more annoyance. Lanyssa will die to a stiff breeze but Hunters Mark and Winter Storm are both really great spells. The Gremlin Swarm is a bit of a bastard move at low points level if your opponent is lacking a magical attack. None of your other choices is bad, you are somewhat disadvantaged until you get rid of the Boneswarm as it didn't really get much better like the other beasts between mk2-3. Worse it really wants units to munch on to get mileage out of its abilities.

If you are set on the Spitter as your first (giant acid spitting turtles are cool) buy I would at least make sure your next purchase is a unit. As a new player be aware some of those models are somewhat tricky to really maximise the benefit from. The only model on your list I don't like is the Trawler. Your main issue will be that you lack volume of attacks and bodies to screen. To give you an idea this is a 75 point list I wrote for Barney the other day.

Bloody Barnabas - WB: +28
- Blackhide Wrastler - PC: 16 (Battlegroup Points Used: 16)
- Ironback Spitter - PC: 15 (Battlegroup Points Used: 12)
- Ironback Spitter - PC: 15
- Bull Snapper - PC: 5

Lanyssa Ryssyl, Nyss Sorceress - PC: 3
Saxon Orrik - PC: 4

Bog Trog Ambushers - Leader & 5 Grunts: 10
Croak Raiders - Leader & 9 Grunts: 17
Gatorman Posse - Leader & 4 Grunts: 18

Hoboskins fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jul 8, 2016

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Oh dear. My FLGS is cutting prices 15% accross the board (save for the MK3 stuff, which is just 10%) in celebration of our crushing victory against Ze Germans. Dissuade me from purchasing Behemoth, goons, please!

Iceclaw fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 8, 2016

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Iceclaw posted:

Oh dear. My FLGS is cutting prices accross the board (save for the MK3 stuff, which is just 10%) in celebration of our crushing victory against Ze Germans. Dissuade me from purchasing Behemoth, goons, please!

As a Cygnar player, I find Behemoth to be overpowered. Furthermore,

:goonsay:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Luebbi posted:

As a Cygnar player, I find Behemoth to be overpowered. Furthermore,

:goonsay:

I asked for dissuasion, not temptation, goddammit!

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Iceclaw posted:

Oh dear. My FLGS is cutting prices 15% accross the board (save for the MK3 stuff, which is just 10%) in celebration of our crushing victory against Ze Germans. Dissuade me from purchasing Behemoth, goons, please!

Get behemoth, run him on MAH BOI Vlad2 and get those delicious hand of fate'd fully boosted bombards. Then when it's melee time throw up assail and get to work!

Seriously though get behemoth he's hella rad

Buy iiiiit

Also the best thing about behemoth is he can 1-round other behemoths.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Behemoth is the best is all i'm saying

head58
Apr 1, 2013

Don't buy Behemoth.

But an Extreme Juggernaut and make an Extremoth.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

koreban posted:

One guy introduced a new player to the game by bottom of turn 1 assassination after telling him everyone just runs forward turn 1. Another guy dropped Denny + banes into a guy playing his first non-battlebox game. The PG from a shop in Vancouver played pre-errata Hayley2 into literally everyone.

All of this while we were maybe 3 weeks into trying to get introduced to the game, inviting Cog guys to help demo it for us. Our current PG was really excited about the game and had played for maybe 3 months at that point, mostly against his brother. He invited them hoping that as more knowledgeable players they could teach interested players the game.

The final straw was when we spoke with one of the older guys about maybe teaching people by giving them an idea of what might happen or pull a few punches so that the new guys could roll a die or two before blowing them off the table. His response was "Page 5."

The store manager told them they weren't going to be welcome back. The PG from the Vancouver store got reported to Hungerford and last I heard from Lucas was removed from the PG program. I ended up not picking up the game again for over a year, and even now I hate playing steamroller. I'm trying to work my way up to comfort with the format. I've mentioned this story or significant parts of it in the mk2 thread.

This was my shop's and my own personal experience with Cog people. I was surprised when I saw the link posted to their forum here because this is generally a pretty chill group and that just wasn't the experience I knew based on past encounters with them.

Right. If they're loving assholes, just call them that. :v:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
What the gently caress are Cog People?

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

S.J. posted:

Right. If they're loving assholes, just call them that. :v:

Indeed.

Demanding to play by the rules doesn't make you an rear end in a top hat. Nice people can be strict on rules. Playing a netlist doesn't make you an rear end in a top hat. Nice people can play netlists. Being competitive doesn't make you an rear end in a top hat. Nice people can be competitive. Being an rear end in a top hat makes you an rear end in a top hat.

You can give takebacks, play goofy lists, not care who wins, and still be a loving rear end in a top hat.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Look like cog, talk like people.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I'm going to all Battle Box event tomorrow. The format is each round is an hour and you play as many BB games as you can to determine the winner, with emphasis on not dunking on new players mind you. You can swap out for different Battle Boxes between rounds so it will be nice to get a feel for Magnus, Maddox, and Barnabus, maybe the Skorne one if I have time to assemble it. There is also an SR going on but man, I just don't have the stomach for competitive play right now.

Iron Crowned posted:

Oh my god, you can't just go around calling them Cog People. Its Convergence of Cyriss. Jeez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

This got me really confused because my local group is called cogs and they're all pretty chill...