Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Murkyhumor posted:

I'm in the market for a new gyuto. I've had http://www.chefknivestogo.com/machkn27.html for about 6 years now and i'm starting to hit my knuckles on the board because it is no longer as tall as it used to be. I'd like to go to the next step up in knives.

I work in a kitchen, but my knives are very well taken care of, and I am not worried about theft or damage. I'm looking for something with a 50/50 edge preferably because sharpening the 60/40 on my old one was a bit of a pain, but it isn't a deal breaker. 270mm/10in+ because I have big hands, not too picky about the handle western or wa, and I am not a fan of damascus or etchings. I was thinking about getting into the super hard steels like Aogami super or Blue/white. Are those worth it?

I am not really looking at price tags, mostly just going for the best knife possible.

It seems like a Moritaka is right up your alley, I know a number of people on GWS rave about theirs. I'd recommend the Shiro Kamo R2 because I have the 240mm version and I love it but it's damascus as gently caress and you're not a fan of that sort of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Decided to see what the fuss is all about and just purchased a Chinese cleaver from a forge there for 40 yankeebux. Going to take a month to arrive, but hey, free shipping :v:

Landrobot
Jul 14, 2001

The Land of the Robots will rise again
New magnetic knife block

https://food52.com/shop/products/3076-magnetic-wood-knife-block

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

That's really really pretty. Expensive, though.

Also, from the link:

quote:

Knives not included.

Well gently caress it, I'm out!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I imagine that the tips of the knives are going to bump into each other a lot because of the arrangement

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

I imagine that the tips of the knives are going to bump into each other a lot because of the arrangement

I wonder how heavy the base is. If it wasn't heavy enough, I'd probably end up worrying I might cause it to tip over removing a large knife the wrong way.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

.Z. posted:

I wonder how heavy the base is. If it wasn't heavy enough, I'd probably end up worrying I might cause it to tip over removing a large knife the wrong way.

That's what I'm thinking about too. I'm imagining going to pull a knife off and toppling a tower of blades onto my counter/floor/fleshy bits.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
So I received my Tojiro DP in the mail 2 days ago, just used it for light cooking work, vegetables and meat.

It's a bit longer than what I was using the past 2 months so a little to get used to, but the new knife sharpness is very nice. I never even realized how much I effort I was using with my room mates knife, because it seems like I touch something and its already cut.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

This question might be a bit silly but I've scanned over the thread and my head is starting to spin. I'm planning on purchasing a tojiro gyutou and pairing knife as my first "real" knife set and believe I need some sort of honing tool to go with it? What should I purchase? Steel or ceramic? Sharpening won't be an issue -- there's a place nearby that does it for a fee.

Virtue fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 7, 2016

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Virtue posted:

This question might be a bit silly but I've scanned over the thread and my head is starting to spin. I'm planning on purchasing a tojiro gyutou and pairing knife as my first "real" knife set and believe I need some sort of honing tool to go with it? What should I purchase? Steel or ceramic? Sharpening won't be an issue -- there's a place nearby that does it for a fee.

The last page is an argument about honing.

Personally, I just touch up on a fine stone instead of using a honing rod. If you do use a rod, my choice would be a ceramic. If you have a steel honing rod that's softer than the knife steel you can dig into it with an edge leading stroke.

Regarding the arguments about honing a Japanese knife, I've seen magnified photos of an edge honed on an Idahone. Despite some marketing claims out there, a ceramic rod acts as an abrasive like a stone, so the results of those photos are what I would expect - the knife looked like it got a sharpening.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Virtue posted:

Tojiros are soft enough that a ceramic hone should have some straitening effect, but I agree with Scott808, a fine stone is probably your best bet for touching up the knife. For ease of use a stone that does not require soaking like the Shapton Pro or Glass stones at 2k-4k grit should be effective.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Tojiros are soft enough that a ceramic hone should have some straitening effect, but I agree with Scott808, a fine stone is probably your best bet for touching up the knife. For ease of use a stone that does not require soaking like the Shapton Pro or Glass stones at 2k-4k grit should be effective.

so like https://www.amazon.com/Shapton-2000...rds=shapton+pro
? A bit more expensive than I was expecting but given how much cooking I've been doing these days it's probably worth it.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Virtue posted:

so like https://www.amazon.com/Shapton-2000...rds=shapton+pro
? A bit more expensive than I was expecting but given how much cooking I've been doing these days it's probably worth it.

Yeah, that. Hell, you could learn to sharpen using that, 2k will be a little slow on a dull knife but it will do the job and a 2k edge is nice.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah, that. Hell, you could learn to sharpen using that, 2k will be a little slow on a dull knife but it will do the job and a 2k edge is nice.

Right now I have a stone that goes up to 1200. Should I go for a 2k or a 4k as my next stone? Is 1,2k to 4k too big of a jump?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

KingColliwog posted:

Right now I have a stone that goes up to 1200. Should I go for a 2k or a 4k as my next stone? Is 1,2k to 4k too big of a jump?

1k-4k is fine. I use a 300, 1k, 4k progression and it works fine, the 300 only gets used if the knife needs a full resharpening, normally I just do the 1k-4k progression.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

I have been using a ceramic rod for my tojiro dp for more than a year and retains a (very) good level of sharpness in comparison to your average knife, but it isn't 100%. So yeah, a stone is definitely needed to best maintenance.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i was planning on spending more money than i need to on a knife when i buy a new place but since brexit might tank property prices i'm waiting. Thinking of getting a knife anyway though. i know santoku's aren't incredibly popular here but i've got a cheap victorinox one and really like using it. not really sure where in north east england i can go to actually have a hold of some good knives though

thinking about either the santoku or 210mm gyuto here https://cuttingedgeknives.co.uk/brands/masakage#koishi

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Jose posted:

i was planning on spending more money than i need to on a knife when i buy a new place but since brexit might tank property prices i'm waiting. Thinking of getting a knife anyway though. i know santoku's aren't incredibly popular here but i've got a cheap victorinox one and really like using it. not really sure where in north east england i can go to actually have a hold of some good knives though

thinking about either the santoku or 210mm gyuto here https://cuttingedgeknives.co.uk/brands/masakage#koishi

Masakage knives are generally quite good, I have a Masakage Kiri Nakiri that is quite good. Just be aware that the Koishi line is Aogami Super steel so the edge will be reactive, it is stainless clad so the whole blade will not be reactive, just the edge.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Think i'll do the more sensible thing and get one of the cheaper knives from that site to start with instead

edit: found somewhere selling the tojiro dp not too badly priced so that seems the best option

Jose fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jul 8, 2016

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Says the guy who chipped a blade on a tortilla chip.

A TORTILLA CHIP
lol >_<;;

well yeah i mean the rift would probably open up straight through to mexico with my luck but

Rotoru
Sep 3, 2011

Speaking of luck, I got a Tojiro Flash 6" utility for slightly less than the place was selling their DP equivalent.

Is that good? It certainly feels sharp enough, but this thread doesn't mention the Flash knives much at all and I'd like some opinions before I pull the trigger on a decently long blade.

Which I will be, because 6" is just not long enough :(

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Rotoru posted:

Speaking of luck, I got a Tojiro Flash 6" utility for slightly less than the place was selling their DP equivalent.

Is that good? It certainly feels sharp enough, but this thread doesn't mention the Flash knives much at all and I'd like some opinions before I pull the trigger on a decently long blade.

Which I will be, because 6" is just not long enough :(

Unless the grind is significantly different than the standard DP series, my experience with the standard DP gyutos is that out of the box the 270 cuts worse than the 240, which in turn cuts worse than the 210. For myself, I was not satisfied with the stock performance of the 270 and 240.

There was an discussion earlier in the thread about damascus and it's effect, or lack thereof, on performance. I think it's possible for it to have an effect, but probably not in the way most people think of it. I've read about people saying they can feel a change in drag when they do things like etch the damascus to bring out the pattern in the steel. While I don't have any damascus kitchen knives, I can believe that, because in my own experience, the finish I put on a blade changes the way it feels in use.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Damascus isn't going to change the performance of a Tojiro knife because the cutting edge on the DP and Flash series is still VG-10. It's purely aesthetic, and on my DP Damascus it's barely visible.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

CrazyLittle posted:

Damascus isn't going to change the performance of a Tojiro knife because the cutting edge on the DP and Flash series is still VG-10. It's purely aesthetic, and on my DP Damascus it's barely visible.

This is true but etched damascus can change the way a knife moves through certain ingredients, meat especially, because it changes the way the face of the knife drags through the material. For that reason I sanded down the etching on one of my knives with a damascus finish until the sides were nice and smooth, it helped a fair bit in how it goes through meats and such. It's best to assume that the cutting edge on any knife that is "damascus" is solid core metal, damascus is almost always cladding, in fact I've never seen a knife where the damascus was not cladding.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

This is true but etched damascus can change the way a knife moves through certain ingredients, meat especially, because it changes the way the face of the knife drags through the material. For that reason I sanded down the etching on one of my knives with a damascus finish until the sides were nice and smooth, it helped a fair bit in how it goes through meats and such. It's best to assume that the cutting edge on any knife that is "damascus" is solid core metal, damascus is almost always cladding, in fact I've never seen a knife where the damascus was not cladding.

I think Bob Kramer's custom knives are solid 'damascus' steel. His production knives are definitely clad though.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

.Z. posted:

I think Bob Kramer's custom knives are solid 'damascus' steel. His production knives are definitely clad though.

Yeah, I could see it for some really expensive custom knives, but outside of spending thousands of dollars per knife I would expect to see anything with damascus to just be cladded.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Decided on the torijo dp gyuto so I can give them a go and upgrade to a far fancier santoku later on if i decide i prefer santokus

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah, I could see it for some really expensive custom knives, but outside of spending thousands of dollars per knife I would expect to see anything with damascus to just be cladded.

These are not exactly cheap, but not holy poo poo expensive either.

Echizen - https://www.knifemerchant.com/products.asp?manufacturerID=298
Saji - http://japanesechefsknife.com/SajiCoreLessCustomDamascusSeries.html
Shun - http://www.cutleryandmore.com/shun-dual-core

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

CrazyLittle posted:

That's what I mean by not in the way most people think - I'm not talking about performance of the edge because of the core steel. There's more to performance qualities than just the edge.

You can bring out the pattern in damascus by etching it - ferric chloride is commonly used. You can see Bob Kramer etching a blade here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x0f2b_0kn0&t=395s

But people have said that if they can feel the difference when they etch their knives - it adds drag. So some people will bring the finish back down with a fine abrasive, but that can tone down the contrast. As I said, I don't have any damascus kitchen knives, so I can't say for myself, but I believe it because of my own experience with different levels of finish on the same knife feel different in use.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Huh, didn't know about those. But ugh on the handles on those Echizen ones, metal is a terrible handle material.

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Scott808 posted:

You can bring out the pattern in damascus by etching it - ferric chloride is commonly used. You can see Bob Kramer etching a blade here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x0f2b_0kn0&t=395s

This is an A+ watch.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I was thinking about replacing my ceramic rod with a #8000 sharpton for regular maintenance/stropping, is there any reason you stayed as low as 2k for that purpose?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Jarmak posted:

I was thinking about replacing my ceramic rod with a #8000 sharpton for regular maintenance/stropping, is there any reason you stayed as low as 2k for that purpose?

I recommended a 2k because it will do the job and because it's a good stone to learn sharpening on, not too high to do significant sharpening on and not too low to be used as a finishing stone. If you are only going to be using the stone for stropping then 8k is fine.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I recommended a 2k because it will do the job and because it's a good stone to learn sharpening on, not too high to do significant sharpening on and not too low to be used as a finishing stone. If you are only going to be using the stone for stropping then 8k is fine.

sounds good

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

My tojiro dp has arrived. What should I look for when it comes to sharpening it and is something like a spyderco/lansky kit alright?

Murkyhumor
Jul 24, 2006

This is Not a Pipe.
Fun Shoe
I spent a while researching knives and I settled on a Masakage Yuki 270mm Gyuto. I've used it for about two weeks and it's been an absolute prep monster for me. Even with using it on poly boards it's stayed very sharp, with only touching it up on a ceramic rod before work being necessary. Out of the box sharpness has been fantastic, as is the fit and finish.

I know I said that the look of the knife wasn't a big deal for me, but this is one of the prettiest knives i've ever seen. Knifewear didn't send me the traditional coin that comes attached, feeling pretty upset about that. Other than that 10/10 would buy another.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

I do a lot of veggie cooking. I'm considering the Nakiri. I already have a Wusthof chef and pairing knife. Should I go Shun or another Japanese steel or stick and complete a set of Wusthofs? I'm mostly a hobby cook. The Shun Nakiri is almost double the Wusthof.

Edit: Would I even notice the difference that much for the Shun? I don't do anything professionally.

clam the FUCK down fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 22, 2016

whatupdet
Aug 13, 2004

I'm sorry John, I don't remember
How do you like your Wusthof? I can't seem to make up my mind, I've been leaning towards Wusthof Classic, I've also considered Tojiro and because I get 20% coupons for BBB I considered Zwilling. I don't know if there's any major differences between Shun/Global/Zwilling/Wusthof, I know I have a cheap crappy set and the few times I've used a Zwilling (at friends and my parents) it was miles better than a cheap set. Wanted to get a chef, bread & paring knife plus a magnetic holder.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I've had a ten inch Wusthof chefs knife for about fifteen years and I really like it. That said, the reasons I like it are not always positives for everyone and consensus in this thread is to go for a Japanese knife like the tojiro.

It is heavy, which I like but you may not. It is a softer steel which gives it a durable, forgiving edge, but it must be steeled constantly and will not hold as sharp an edge as a harder Japanese knife. Finally, it is expensive and has a bolster, which leads to some sharpening issues down the road.

Overall, it's been a great knife for daily use for many years, but if you want a lighter or harder knife or are looking for a bargain, there are probably better options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

whatupdet posted:

How do you like your Wusthof? I can't seem to make up my mind, I've been leaning towards Wusthof Classic, I've also considered Tojiro and because I get 20% coupons for BBB I considered Zwilling. I don't know if there's any major differences between Shun/Global/Zwilling/Wusthof, I know I have a cheap crappy set and the few times I've used a Zwilling (at friends and my parents) it was miles better than a cheap set. Wanted to get a chef, bread & paring knife plus a magnetic holder.

The Wusthof is quite heavy. If you go the Wusthof route, you NEED honing steel. It's a good knife, especially if you go for the chef and paring combo (I'm convinced most people only need these two types). The best thing about the knife is as long as you use the honing steel and don't damage the knife, the edge keeps for a good while.

My friend is a sharpening hobbyist and has a collection of Japanese knives so I have something to compare it to. The Japanese knives can get way sharper than he gets my knives, but he has a very involved whet stone setup -- I don't know if I could get the same mileage out of Japanese steel with my sharpening setup (double sided #1000 & #6000 KING). Overall the Japanese knives feel much thinner, sharper, and delicate -- think drawing with charcoal versus a big plastic permanent marker. In some cases you can almost let gravity do the work, even though the knife is so light. The Wusthof relies on its weight sometimes for the same effect.

I would recommend the Wusthof if you aren't going to be having a hobbyist/professional sharpen your knives. It's a solid knife, but If you feel like you can get a good edge and you've invested in a good whet stone setup, the Tojiro DP 2 set is good (http://www.chefknivestogo.com/to2pcstset.html).

• Locked thread