Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The tragedy is that one dude took out his entire militia without even getting scratched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Begemot posted:

I don't think we ever got Wapol's backstory. He showed up in Chopper's and Vivi's, but never had one focused on him.

He's just some rear end in a top hat who happened to be royalty.

Yeah his dad was a good king but somehow Wapol turned out poo poo.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Wapolfulamingo

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Bad news - OP is off next week as well :(

http://kotaku.com/one-piece-wont-be...dium=Socialflow

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I might be wrong but aren't they talking about the official release, which scans are usually 5 or so days ahead of?

(so the last chapter that we got was posted June 30th but was for the July 4th release, and a July 18 return makes sense)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Guy A. Person posted:

I might be wrong but aren't they talking about the official release, which scans are usually 5 or so days ahead of?

(so the last chapter that we got was posted June 30th but was for the July 4th release, and a July 18 return makes sense)

You're right. Also, Kotaku articles are (generally) awful.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Julias posted:

You're right.

Nailed it!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Julias posted:

You're right. Also, Kotaku articles are (generally) awful.

Yeah no kidding. Especially since This has been the release method for at least a year (probably longer?) with 3 weeks on 1 week off. Unless I'm missing something, there is absolutely no reason to JUST NOW think "Oh my god they're going monthly!"

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I'm happy Oda takes time off. Seriously.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
yeah next weeks chapter is the chapter we'd have gotten today.

odas schedule seems to have worked out for him churning out lotsa good content while still staying healthy and stuff. i dig it.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Yeah, if being the world's most popular and prolific comic artist/writer doesn't entitle you to a break once a month, I dunno what does. Hopefully it's allowed him to ease up his schedule, I recall him saying in an interview he only got like 4 hours of sleep a night.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

If it became a monthly thing, would that force the anime to have actual seasons? If it had actual seasons would the pacing and animation improve?

Someone from the alternate reality where this happens, please let me know!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Jimbot posted:

If it became a monthly thing, would that force the anime to have actual seasons? If it had actual seasons would the pacing and animation improve?

You will pry that timeslot from Toei's cold, dead hands. One Piece is never going seasonal unless they change the way tv scheduling works in Japan.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Jimbot posted:

It would become much better with much better pacing and animation. Also it will never happen because OP runs at a time slot that prints money and if they miss it even one week, it's gone.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I can't really recommend One Piece to new anime fans anymore, because it looks so bad. It's actually really depressing to see One Piece as a brand just be completely hollowed out and run into the ground by TOEI to save bucks.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Space-Bird posted:

I can't really recommend One Piece to new anime fans anymore, because it looks so bad. It's actually really depressing to see One Piece as a brand just be completely hollowed out and run into the ground by TOEI to save bucks.

the manga is still good tho so i just ignore everything else.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

anime was right posted:

the manga is still good tho so i just ignore everything else.

Yeah, for sure.

It can't feel good for Oda to see the occasional latest episode of his series though...it just bodes poorly.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Begemot posted:

Yeah, if being the world's most popular and prolific comic artist/writer doesn't entitle you to a break once a month, I dunno what does. Hopefully it's allowed him to ease up his schedule, I recall him saying in an interview he only got like 4 hours of sleep a night.

He should probably go bi-weekly just for the sake of his own health. I do wish he and Shonen Jump would make it official though, and just announce that it'll have 2/3 issues a month with one week off a month for his benefit from now on. I'm not even sure why, I just know I'd prefer it be official. Just to know it'll always happen rather than normally being an announcement a week before I guess.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Elfgames posted:

in this part of the sea it could be a desert.

I just wanted you to know that I really appreciated this comment.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

Space-Bird posted:

Yeah, for sure.

It can't feel good for Oda to see the occasional latest episode of his series though...it just bodes poorly.

those checks they cut him must be huge with how little animation is in the budget so i dont think hes too mad

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

drjuggalo posted:

those checks they cut him must be huge with how little animation is in the budget so i dont think hes too mad
I'm gonna disagree. There's a ton of evidence to suggest Oda has a vested interest in the anime as a creative work - Franky's design was influenced by Kazuki Yao (Jango's VA), the main VAs feature in SBS all the time, he's given creative direction to multiple films, he helped the composer of Binks Sake and a ton of his author comments in WSJ refer to what's going on with the anime at the moment.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Cat Machine posted:

I'm gonna disagree. There's a ton of evidence to suggest Oda has a vested interest in the anime as a creative work - Franky's design was influenced by Kazuki Yao (Jango's VA), the main VAs feature in SBS all the time, he's given creative direction to multiple films, he helped the composer of Binks Sake and a ton of his author comments in WSJ refer to what's going on with the anime at the moment.

Yeah but that was all before it was terrible. The One Piece anime is perfectly good up until Saobondy/Impel Down/Marineford. There were inklings of it's dark and terrible future during Thriller Bark but it wasn't nearly as bad as it is now.

e: Wow, the VA for Jango/Bon Clay/Franky looks exactly as you would imagine him.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Begemot posted:

Yeah but that was all before it was terrible. The One Piece anime is perfectly good up until Saobondy/Impel Down/Marineford. There were inklings of it's dark and terrible future during Thriller Bark but it wasn't nearly as bad as it is now.

e: Wow, the VA for Jango/Bon Clay/Franky looks exactly as you would imagine him.

Holy cow. That's very likely what you'd end up with if you mashed those three characters together.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

drjuggalo posted:

Oda could have cashed out long ago, if he only cared about money. I really don't think that's how most passionate creators look at their work, and probably not a good way to look at life in general. I mean he's been doing it almost non-stop for 18 years, it's probably safe to say he cares? :shrug:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Space-Bird posted:

Oda could have cashed out long ago, if he only cared about money. I really don't think that's how most passionate creators look at their work, and probably not a good way to look at life in general. I mean he's been doing it almost non-stop for 18 years, it's probably safe to say he cares? :shrug:

he probably cares about the manga and the piles of money he gets for other stuff hes probably all like "cool thanks"

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

anime was right posted:

he probably cares about the manga and the piles of money he gets for other stuff hes probably all like "cool thanks"

You can pry my Hypothetical Sad Oda from my cold dead hands, friend!

Seriously though, I'm just sad the anime looks like actual garbage. :(

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Space-Bird posted:

You can pry my Hypothetical Sad Oda from my cold dead hands, friend!

Seriously though, I'm just sad the anime looks like actual garbage. :(

same, friend.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Begemot posted:

:eyepop:

God drat, he looks amazing. I can feel the manliness from halfway across the globe.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Begemot posted:

Did the Franky shirt come with the job?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Okay, the Dressrosa Arc is officially Really Fuckin' Long. I'm surprised by how happy I am that Baby 5 is apparently getting a good ending, though (also deserving of a good ending: Senor Pink, a true man and friend to all).

EDIT: Dammit Oda I said good ending, not depressing backstory.

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 8, 2016

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Sub Harrison posted:

Did the Franky shirt come with the job?
No, I think that shirt is just part of Kazuki Yao's regular everyday wardrobe.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs
Y'all should see him in Akibaranger

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

ChubbyThePhat posted:

He needs to buy smokes sometime.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

My One Piece conspiracy theory is that all the women became super busty because Oda needed an outlet for the fact that he never gets to see his wife because he's always working.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

My One Piece conspiracy theory is that all the women became super busty because Oda needed an outlet for the fact that he never gets to see his wife because he's always working.

Wouldn't that only apply to Nami though? Has his wife cosplayed as the other characters?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
EDIT: Wrong thread

RatHat fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jul 9, 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

RatHat posted:

According to the wiki it was made with Deathwing's blood. Then he got the other aspects to put their power into it(which somehow prevented them from destroying it) and then just used it to make himself super strong. The dragon/demon soul was why Deathwing's body started tearing itself apart and he needed the elementium grafts.

aaa don't spoil the ponyglyphs

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
One Piece is actually World of Warcraft 2.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
you guys talk about how much oda is vested in the anime yet its poo poo so im going to come to the conclusion oda knows about it and encourages it so he can get a fatter check

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

drjuggalo posted:

you guys talk about how much oda is vested in the anime yet its poo poo so im going to come to the conclusion oda knows about it and encourages it so he can get a fatter check

creators don't have that level of power, even people at Oda's level. Takahashi Rumiko basically had the same problem, and I'm pretty sure she's officially the most wealthy woman in Japan. His influence ends at the comic, which is why it was such a big deal when he was finally brought on the for the later films like Strong World and FIlm Z.