Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Darth Windu posted:

I played Mei for the first time tonight and she is "cool" heh. What's her best skin

I like the snow/Antarctic legendary one, but otherwise just the default. Make sure you get her kneeling victory pose though because it makes her look like an adorable gumdrop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

enojy posted:

I like the snow/Antarctic legendary one, but otherwise just the default. Make sure you get her kneeling victory pose though because it makes her look like an adorable gumdrop.

Uh. What garbage tier mei opinions. Firefighter and the casual 'yeah I just wrecked you without trying' lean are clearly the best by a mile

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

buying the best skin for a character is never wrong

He said El Blanco, not Wight.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

He said El Blanco, not Wight.

yea like I said, the best skin

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

I reached the point where you spend 1000 on the cyber goth Zarya.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm saving my credits for Lionhardt.

As an aside, I wish you could choose to sell unwanted stuff in a lootbox for credits instead. At least that way you'd be slowly working towards aomething you actually like.

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend

PerrineClostermann posted:

Reminder that character classes designed to instantly kill enemies at an uncounterable distance, with none of the traditional "weaknesses" of said class, are completely balanced. Nerfing such a class is absurd, and ruins the game for people that actually matter.

Just play genji and go assassinate them, usually only takes 2-3 times till they change up.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I'm saving 1550 Overwatch funbux for the next character added to the game so I can instantly buy a legendary skin, a highlight intro, an emote, a voice line and a spray so I can play him/her/it to the fullest potential.

Then I will realize the character doesn't click with me and will never be picked again.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Mierenneuker posted:

I'm saving 1550 Overwatch funbux for the next character added to the game so I can instantly buy a legendary skin, a highlight intro, an emote, a voice line and a spray so I can play him/her/it to the fullest potential.

Then I will realize the character doesn't click with me and will never be picked again.

I have a feeling that whenever a new character comes out, the legendary skin(s) will be more common than the default one.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Mierenneuker posted:

I bought a 1000 funbux Reinhardt skin and then got hooked on Pharah and Mercy

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

FiestaDePantalones posted:

Lost the last ten games and 4 competitive ranks solo queue. Which brings me to my big complaint: if I have 3 gold medals (objective time, healing, and somehow objective kills) with Mercy, why am I losing half a rank because these scrub lords think we need two ginjis, a widow maker, a reaper, and a dva?

Mercy is absolutely worthless when you have three or more flankers on your team. Don't play her or reinhardt under those conditions, they won't be able to accomplish anything. Pick something else, don't feel obligated to heal or tank for the sake of clueless morons. I also wouldn't expect Zarya, Zen, or Lucio to do much there either.

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

A bunch of legendaries and epic skins on all characters (all on some) but I use the horrible ones because why not.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I also wouldn't expect Zarya, Zen, or Lucio to do much there either.

It depends on if they're horrible flankers or no. Zarya can get her energy up pretty fast by having one overextending, overoptimistic 1v4 fight taking flanker to shield and if any of them are good they'll know how to focus the one with discord orb on them, allowing you to pick them apart real fast. But generally if no one else is making the good picks gently caress it just have fun. Though we did win a dorado offense with 3 genjis, 2 tracers and a widowmaker the other day.

Kehveli fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 8, 2016

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm hording my cash for new skins too! I was getting grumpy about no good skins to unlock, made a commitment to not buy any skins for the sake of buying skins, and then a mid-tier Mercy skin and blue Junkrat jester popped out of the same floor box!

I still continue to play mostly Roadhog with his purple outfit and Mei with her green outfit.

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!

Theta Zero posted:

Default recolors. The others are just sort of ugly.

Just when I thought Mei couldn't get any more adorable I found the pink recolor for her.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Yeah I got 1200 coins saved up because the Legendary rate is actually quite high and I am content with what I have. In 70 levels I've unboxed seven legendary skins and three 500 coin boxes. In total, I've gotten 3200 coins (spent 2000 on two skins). That's basically one legendary for every 7 levels, and factoring in coins enough that I could have 10 legendary skins already.

I assume my rate is high, but even then most people a lot of skins already.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ehud posted:

I bought a 1000 funbux Roadhog skin and then hooked Pharah and Mercy

This is what I'd say.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm saving my credits for Lionhardt.

As an aside, I wish you could choose to sell unwanted stuff in a lootbox for credits instead. At least that way you'd be slowly working towards aomething you actually like.

I just wish that you would get a reasonable number of coins for duplicates and also that sprays weren't in the rotation. My last box was 3 duplicate sprays and a Junkrat highlight intro. Boy, a whole 15 coins, how great.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Does anyone have tips for sucking less in KOTH? I feel like I spend way too much time dead and I never feel like I contribute enough with any character I play :smith:

My best experiences are probably with Lucio since I can heal and boop people into pits, but it seems like somebody else is always playing him before I get a chance.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRy17YdK33Y

I'm a Mariachi Reaper, turns out.

^ Reaper and Winston are two excellent picks for KOTH. Reaper has amazing killing power and sustain which is excellent for KOTH style maps as there's a lot of fighting around the point and many maps are designed with him in mind (Ilios in particular, as the Lighthouse has a hole you can drop into the point, and Well has a balcony you can ghost up to to get behind the enemy)

Winston is another solid pick if you're not entirely confident in your aim as KOTH favours squishy characters and Winston does work on them. Plus his barrier projector is ideal for KOTH where attacks can come from all sides.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jul 8, 2016

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Hey i was wondering, Reinhardt's melee has a pretty wide arc. Is it possible to widen the arc by swinging your mouse left to right and vice versa (i notice the swings alternate left-right right-left)

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
I'v played so much Roadhog recently, going back to lesser heroes is rough. 600 HP and a 300 HP heal with tons of retardedly easy one-shot potential? How do I go back to the peon land of Solider 76 and other such heroes?

Roadhog is such a good hero. if you haven't tried him yet I highly recommend you do it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mister Fister posted:

Hey i was wondering, Reinhardt's melee has a pretty wide arc. Is it possible to widen the arc by swinging your mouse left to right and vice versa (i notice the swings alternate left-right right-left)

It's possible to turn midway through the swing and hit someone, but I'm not sure it actually tracks the arc or if it just damages anyone in a cone in front of you that lasts for the duration of the swing.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

whatspeakyou posted:

I'v played so much Roadhog recently, going back to lesser heroes is rough. 600 HP and a 300 HP heal with tons of retardedly easy one-shot potential? How do I go back to the peon land of Solider 76 and other such heroes?

Roadhog is such a good hero. if you haven't tried him yet I highly recommend you do it.

Roadhog for life. I find myself playing mostly Roadhog and Mei lately for the self heals. If I'm playing with a good Mercy I'll just out Pharah, but other wise it's a 60/40 Hog/Mei split for me.

"Violence is usually the answer."

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Wildtortilla posted:

Roadhog for life. I find myself playing mostly Roadhog and Mei lately for the self heals. If I'm playing with a good Mercy I'll just out Pharah, but other wise it's a 60/40 Hog/Mei split for me.

There's people out there who don't know the Hog Life, and they're missing out. Yes Mako, I am indeed ready to go whole hog.

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

I've certainly entertained the possibility of creating a macro to turn you instant 360 anytime you melee as reinhardt

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Oh, while I am on the subject of Hog Life: Blizz confirmed that your gold weapons will indeed include your hook, so go hog wild (pun intended) in competitive mode.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

Those are my two most played as well. I just can't get away from playing them.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Mister Fister posted:

Spin to win

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I wish there was a way to quantify the benefit of well placed walls as Mei. Like if the enemy team is charging my point in OT and the counter us nearly done and I drop a wall to block them. Or if I drop a wall that splits the other team in two.

My dream unit would be Mei riding on Roadhog's shoulders.

"Violence is usually the answer, sorry sorry sorry I'm sorry sorry!"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

nerve posted:

Spin to win

That really works? I feel like impotently flailing when I do that.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

MacheteZombie posted:

That really works? I feel like impotently flailing when I do that.

I don't think you can hit people in a full 360 but I'm preeeeetty sure you can hit more people if you swing it around. I haven't done actual testing

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

nerve posted:

I don't think you can hit people in a full 360 but I'm preeeeetty sure you can hit more people if you swing it around. I haven't done actual testing

According to Renbot, who has hundreds of hours on Rein and skill rank in the high 60s or 70s, turning while swinging does increase the hit radius.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Papercut posted:

According to Renbot, who has hundreds of hours on Rein and skill rank in the high 60s or 70s, turning while swinging does increase the hit radius.

Cool. I feel better about doing it now!

Does Renbot stream by chance? He's my most played character in comp mode right now, but also one of my worst w/l ratios* :(

*winstons is worst but I've only used him in 3 games (1-2).

e: also, i need to get better at deciding when to use Rein and when to use Winston.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

ran into a person playing last night who was obviously streaming because she just wouldn't shut the gently caress up, but she was wrong about everything

just an incessant stream of meaningless, incessantly positive, babbling commentary that didn't even match what was happening in the game

who watches that garbage?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

Cool. I feel better about doing it now!

Does Renbot stream by chance? He's my most played character in comp mode right now, but also one of my worst w/l ratios* :(

*winstons is worst but I've only used him in 3 games (1-2).

e: also, i need to get better at deciding when to use Rein and when to use Winston.

Yeah, his twitch is RenbotOW

Scotlander
Jun 22, 2013
How is the W-L rate calculated for each hero? Most comp games I play I'm switching hero at least once depending on the situation, on KOTH it's almost every round. Does it just count the one I am at the end? The one I played the most of?

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Efexeye posted:

ran into a person playing last night who was obviously streaming because she just wouldn't shut the gently caress up, but she was wrong about everything

just an incessant stream of meaningless, incessantly positive, babbling commentary that didn't even match what was happening in the game

who watches that garbage?

If it was a girl, probably a lot of people.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Papercut posted:

Yeah, his twitch is RenbotOW

Thanks! got him on follow now.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
So you can see roughly how lovely the matchmaking for quick play is by inspecting profiles of players who have competitive ranks. I've seen people in the 50s, 40s, and 30s all in one solo Q quick play game.

That should not be happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Amount of time played does not correspond to skill at all.