Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Baronjutter posted:

Need the right hair/last name

Boo I was hoping you'd say too much job experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Well, apparently landlords are turning away possible tenants on the basis of having kids in the lower mainland.

Super cool.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

PT6A posted:

that's a great story you should tell it at parties

this is a poo poo post you should stop

Now check out this rad rent-vs-buy calculator the New York Times (of all newspapers) made:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/upshot/buy-rent-calculator.html

Note the section on "Maintenance and Fees: Owning a home comes with a surprising variety of expenses that renters do not directly pay." Now watch as these facts are washed away by fresh new tidal waves of irrational exuberance.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Aug 25, 2018

Doctor
Jul 22, 2005

GO TO YOUR ROOM!

eXXon posted:

You may want to ask the grad studies thread about your specific field of performing arts or whatever it is but if you're old enough to have an MA and 10 years of work experience, a PhD is unlikely to be a valuable use of another 3-5 years of your life.

To answer this, I only worked in non-profit performing arts doing admin work as a PT thing while going to school. My MA is in Communications & Marketing with a research focus, and I now work for a municipality. I may end up relocating regardless of the PhD, as even if I moved up in the government I work for the salaries still aren't where they need to be to be able to afford to live anywhere close to where I work.

eXXon posted:

this is a poo poo post you should stop

Isn't that PT6A's whole shtick?

Doctor fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 8, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Serious post: do not underestimate the value of a defined benefit pension.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

namaste faggots posted:

+1.

However a defined benefit pension is only good if the bennies are indexed to inflation and your Pension fund has a constant stream of new policies to maintain the payout (Ponzi). Nobody likes a repeat of the California State Pension Plan.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

namaste faggots posted:

Good luck getting one of those.

Having said that, I get one in Oz but it seems like it will pay out less than (my employer) puts in, unless I stick around until I'm well into my 40s. And then if you leave Australia - I mean why would you, ever?? - it all gets taxed at 50%. Whoop dee doo.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
hahhahahah Hal's avatar.

eXXon posted:

Good luck getting one of those.

Having said that, I get one in Oz but it seems like it will pay out less than (my employer) puts in, unless I stick around until I'm well into my 40s. And then if you leave Australia - I mean why would you, ever?? - it all gets taxed at 50%. Whoop dee doo.

Where the hell do you work? Who is still handing out defined benefit pensions these days?

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control

Jumpingmanjim posted:

hahhahahah Hal's avatar.

Where the hell do you work? Who is still handing out defined benefit pensions these days?

I've got one. Work in health care in BC.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

rhazes posted:

:(:hf::(

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Demon_Corsair posted:

The longer this goes on the more I think about buying a house because the worse it gets the more likely there will be a home owner bailout when the bubble finally stops.

Haha, that's one hell of a bet. While you're the one speculating the bank is the one who is actually leveraged up the rear end on owning these assets. They'll get their bad credit bailed out because otherwise everyone loses their everything. Meanwhile, nobody gives a poo poo about your house now being worth half of your mortgage and costing twice as much monthly. Look at the US, Ireland, Portugal, Cyprus and soon-to-be UK. Taking this bet is not worth it.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Jumpingmanjim posted:

hahhahahah Hal's avatar.

My wife has one.

She works for Alberta Pension Services :unsmith:

Myriarch
May 14, 2013

Meat Recital posted:

The other problem with moving away from Vancouver is where do you go? The only other cities with jobs are Toronto, but the housing market there isn't much better than Vancouver, and Montreal, which most people won't want to move to because of the (perceived) language barrier.

Just a few hundred kilometers south is a metropolitan area operating an actual real big person economy with both rent and housing significantly cheaper and slightly better weather.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Myriarch posted:

Just a few hundred kilometers south is a metropolitan area operating an actual real big person economy with both rent and housing significantly cheaper and slightly better weather.

It's really difficult to immigrate to the US. My brother tried and failed even with an American dad. He renounced his citizenship so we have to wait until he dies thanks to weird rules.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
http://business.financialpost.com/news/fp-street/canadas-top-banking-regulator-tightens-scrutiny-of-mortgage-lending-practices

quote:

Canada’s top banking regulator tightens scrutiny of mortgage lending practices amid soaring home prices

Canada’s top financial regulator is increasing its scrutiny of mortgage lending practices at the big banks amid concerns about soaring house prices.

The Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions issued a four-page letter to financial institutions Thursday spelling out the regulator’s enhanced expectation for mortgage lending practices — including income verification.

“OSFI is aware of incidents where financial institutions have encountered misrepresentation of income and/or employment,” said the letter signed by Superintendent Jeremy Rudin, which warned that borrowers who rely on income from sources outside of Canada “pose a particular challenge for income verification.”

The letter told the lenders to conduct thorough borrower due diligence in such cases.

“Income that cannot be verified by reliable well-documented sources should be treated cautiously when assessing the ability of a borrower to service debt obligations,” OSFI told the banks.

Home Capital Group Inc., one of Canada’s largest alternative lenders, cut ties with 45 mortgage brokers last year after a tip led to an internal probe that revealed falsification of income information had occurred.

The tightening of supervisory expectations for all lenders comes at a time of rapid house price increases in some areas such as Toronto and Vancouver and a prolonged period of exceptionally low interest rates.

“The risks are getting larger,” Rudin said. “OSFI wants to see sound mortgage underwriting procedures in place that adapt to the ever-changing circumstances in this area.”

He told the Financial Post the regulator wants banks to understand that they should not treat OSFI’s guidance for mortgage lending simply as a “compliance exercise,” or use threshold examples set by the regulator as “safe harbours.”

In Thursday’s letter, Rudin told mortgage lenders they should not rely on collateral values as a replacement for income verification, especially in areas of Canada where house prices have been rising rapidly.

“Persistently low interest rates, record levels of household indebtedness, and rapid increases in house prices in certain areas of Canada (such as Greater Vancouver and Toronto) could generate significant loan losses if economic conditions deteriorate,” the regulator warned, adding that financial institutions can sustain losses both through the inability of borrowers to meet their debt obligations, and through declining values of the real estate properties pledged as collateral in mortgage loans.

OSFI had already moved to increase the amount of capital Canada’s biggest banks have to hold against certain mortgages to keep up with the rapid rise of house prices and highly leveraged buyers in some markets. The new rules are to come into effect in November.

A spokesperson for federal finance minister Bill Morneau said OSFI’s actions are “consistent with the minister’s own actions to address pockets of risk in Canada’s housing market.”

Daniel Lauzon, Morneau’s director of communications, said new measures came into effect this week, including amendments that clarify how government-backed insured mortgages can be securitized.

Lauzon said a working group of federal, provincial, and municipal officials in Canada’s hottest housing markets is being convened this summer to review the affordability and stability of the housing market.

In the letter sent to financial institutions Thursday, Rudin said banks should not be assessing a borrower’s ability to service debt based on current “exceptionally low” interest rates, and warned them not to become lax in processes such as income verification if a mortgage meets the regulators loan-to-value caps.

“The 65 per cent LTV (loan to value) threshold used in OSFI Guideline B-20 should not be used as a demarcation point below which sound underwriting practices and borrower due diligence do not apply,” the regulator warned.

OSFI told the banks to assume interest rates could be “significantly higher at renewal, and over the full mortgage amortization period.”

Rudin’s letter urged federally regulated financial institutions including the country’s biggest banks to identify residential mortgages that exhibit the highest risk characteristics. These mortgages demand “greater due diligence of the borrower and stronger internal controls,” Rudin said.

A report from Moody’s Investors Service published last month said a U.S.-style housing meltdown with house prices falling by as much as 35 per cent could cost Canadian banks and mortgage insurers $17 billion. Though they would be able to weather such a downturn, the ratings agency warned that it would expose “systemic vulnerabilities”.

The report warned that mortgage loans in a segment of the market subjected to less regulatory scrutiny could trigger downward pressure on housing prices in general. Moody’s estimates this group of lenders, which slipped through the regulatory cracks and does not face the tighter underwriting standards imposed on deposit-taking banks and some credit unions, accounts for about six per cent of Canada’s $1.6 trillion mortgage market.

Jason Mercer, the lead author of the Moody’s report, said OSFI’s letter Thursday signals that the regulator is “intensifying” its examination of residential mortgage underwriting.

“It’ll force the banks to maintain or enhance existing residential mortgage underwriting controls amid growing concerns of increasing household debt and elevated housing prices,” Mercer said.

While lenders can play a role in calming what many believe is a frothy real estate market, the top executive at one of the Canada’s largest banks has called on Ottawa to do more. Bank of Nova Scotia chief executive Brian Porter suggested in a May television interview that the bank would be in favour of the government raising down payment levels beyond a tweak earlier this year to the portion of insured mortgages between $500,000 and $1 million

Guess house sales are going to start picking up again before November

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Are they building micro-suite condos in Barrie yet?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/dbcurren/status/751397759828258816?s=09

Strong fundamentals

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/amberkanwar/status/751393828758847489?s=09

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Interesting that "working for yourself" is considered lower job quality than "working for someone else". Isn't being your own boss the dream?!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Subjunctive posted:

Interesting that "working for yourself" is considered lower job quality than "working for someone else". Isn't being your own boss the dream?!

Successful ones incorporate and are technically full time employees of their own company.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ikantski posted:

Successful ones incorporate and are technically full time employees of their own company.

Why would you do that? It's generally better to pay yourself via dividends over treating yourself as your own employee.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Hal_2005 posted:

However a defined benefit pension is only good if the bennies are indexed to inflation and your Pension fund has a constant stream of new policies to maintain the payout (Ponzi). Nobody likes a repeat of the California State Pension Plan.

Calling a pension plan a Ponzi scheme just confirms that you're a knee-jerk conservative hack who doesn't actually know anything about pensions, economics, etc.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hal's posts area like retro dnd back when shitheads like Lord Kenneth, voice of reason and ferretball ruled the sweaty fatty's, mom's basement dwelling libertarian roost.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

rhazes posted:

If you get to work in the euthanasia department, not only can you have choice parting words for your boomer customers but you can be first in line to know their house is going on the market.

Holy poo poo, Justin's a genius.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ikantski posted:

Sole proprietorships aren't counted as self-employed? That would surprise me, as would them taking a fixed salary because you don't get the better deduction profile then, and:

PT6A posted:

Why would you do that? It's generally better to pay yourself via dividends over treating yourself as your own employee.

Is this based on your experiences? All the times I've been in that situation or know of friends who were they would describe themselves as self-employed.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

I need to see if I can find that article again but a few years ago there were a few that came out in a short time span that indicated that most financial institutions were coming to realize that a lot of people who are self employed are doing so in a desperate attempt to end their chronic unemployment / underemployment. They're no longer throwing tons of unsecured loans at self employed people because they know there's a good chance they're never going to see those loans paid back.

'Self employed' is no longer seen as a sign of success.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Subjunctive posted:

Sole proprietorships aren't counted as self-employed? That would surprise me, as would them taking a fixed salary because you don't get the better deduction profile then, and:

Sole proprietorships are probably counted as self employed. I was talking about people who incorporate their company to legally separate it from themselves.

PT6A posted:

Yeah, you definitely still do dividends. The small salary gives you a bi-weekly stream of income that you don't need to file corporate paperwork for, lets you take part in your employee benefits program, lets you deduct work from home expenses, gives you "earned income" against which to deduct RRSPs, helps you get loans, lets you contribute to and receive CPP and once you factor in corporate tax + dividend tax, it's not a huge savings.

EvilJoven posted:

'Self employed' is no longer seen as a sign of success.

Yep, to me it's synonymous with Scentsy moms.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Banks are afraid of self-employed people because of a number of reasons. Some of them are based in reality and some is just traditional wisdom that might not be relevant anymore. "Most new businesses fail within three years" is a big one. Also traditional income confirmation doesn't work for self-employed people. If you are salaried, they might be okay with just accepting a recent paystub and last years tax return. If you are incorporated and paying yourself, your pay stub isn't worth the paper it is written on (since you can just write yourself a big cheque for one pay period and use that as your "bi-weekly pay." For tax returns, it can be a complex mess trying to sort out what part of business expenses can be added back in to income and what parts can't. It also doesn't help that almost every self-employed person who incorporates pays themselves a small salary, expenses a ton of stuff which they technically aren't allowed to, and then hides as much cash as possible. If all self-employed people operated like an actual corporation then they would be treated like being self-employed is a good thing.

of course, considering how high the tax rate is in Canada I don't blame anyone who hides as much money as possible from the government

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Health care workers in Ontario, Teachers in Ontario, College/Technical School employees in Ontario, anyone under OMERS (municipal government employees). That ends up being a decent chunk of people, and that's only the big ones in Ontario.

Also the only people who call DB pensions ponzi schemes are right-wing financial advisers who want to dismantle pensions so they can get a bigger piece of retirement savings investment pie, so that's interesting.

That being said, if your DB plan starts taking contribution holidays or lets unions/employers determine contribution rates you may be in a lot of trouble. The failure of the previous generation of single-employer plans in Ontario led to laws that make it difficult for a plan to fail as spectacularly as California's did.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 8, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Slowpoke! posted:

of course, considering how high the tax rate is in Canada I don't blame anyone who hides as much money as possible from the government

looks liek we found another ancap tard

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Slowpoke! posted:

Banks are afraid of self-employed people because of a number of reasons. Some of them are based in reality and some is just traditional wisdom that might not be relevant anymore. "Most new businesses fail within three years" is a big one. Also traditional income confirmation doesn't work for self-employed people. If you are salaried, they might be okay with just accepting a recent paystub and last years tax return. If you are incorporated and paying yourself, your pay stub isn't worth the paper it is written on (since you can just write yourself a big cheque for one pay period and use that as your "bi-weekly pay." For tax returns, it can be a complex mess trying to sort out what part of business expenses can be added back in to income and what parts can't. It also doesn't help that almost every self-employed person who incorporates pays themselves a small salary, expenses a ton of stuff which they technically aren't allowed to, and then hides as much cash as possible. If all self-employed people operated like an actual corporation then they would be treated like being self-employed is a good thing.

I think you mean take advantage of loopholes like adding family members as shareholders and issuing dividends that end up back in the account of the executor after paying reduced taxes on the income.

Fix the tax code tbqh

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Furnaceface posted:

Pretty sure at this point most of us want to see how far this can go. The burst could be legendary.

Why? Do you expect values to drop 60% and wipe out these frankly insane gains? I wish that was the case but I just don't see it happening unless the entire economy tanks which isn't going to leave a lot of opportunity for first time buyers or renters anyway.

Assuming a 20-30% correction at some point it still seems like a lot of people are going to end up ahead on this and not have learned a damned thing.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Slowpoke! posted:

Which tax rate is too high and how high is too high?

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

jm20 posted:

I think you mean take advantage of loopholes like adding family members as shareholders and issuing dividends that end up back in the account of the executor after paying reduced taxes on the income.

Fix the tax code tbqh

I'm not so sure that the kinds of people owning corporations with family trusts are the same people who scare away lenders because they don't have verifiable self-employment income.

My post was directly in response to banks tightening lending and why they would be wary of self-employed people.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Slowpoke! posted:

I'm not so sure that the kinds of people owning corporations with family trusts are the same people who scare away lenders because they don't have verifiable self-employment income.

My post was directly in response to banks tightening lending and why they would be wary of self-employed people.

You don't need a family trust to have family shareholders.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

It's really difficult to immigrate to the US. My brother tried and failed even with an American dad. He renounced his citizenship so we have to wait until he dies thanks to weird rules.

But with an American dad you are automatically a US citizen. What was the problem?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Gunslinger posted:

Assuming a 20-30% correction at some point it still seems like a lot of people are going to end up ahead on this and not have learned a damned thing.

Only the people that got on a couple of years ago and that haven't been using the appreciation to trade upwards as I know many are doing over here. :sweden:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Slowpoke! posted:

Take a hypothetical scenario for a moment. You are a software mercenary at a rate of something like 150-200k a year in Canada. You live with a spouse, and two parents who are effectively retired. You add them all to your companies shareholder list. Each one gets something like 25-30k in income issued as a dividend. Lols are had, much less taxes are paid, and the money reflows to the personal account of the executor of the corporation.

This is quasilegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Vehementi posted:

But with an American dad you are automatically a US citizen. What was the problem?

My guess is that his brother was born before the law's effect period. Only children born after 14NOV1986 automatically gain citizenship from having a single American parent. If he was born before that, he has to thread a bunch of different needles to get citizenship unless both parents were American citizens.