Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

It seems to work, it was blinking when i walked toward the abra and bulbasaur i caught this evening

The blinking just means the list is getting updated on new GPS information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Are catchable Pokémon shared? As in, if it shows up for two people and one catches it, does it disappear for the other? I need to know if I need to trip my SO as we run for pokemans.

Budgie posted:

I was a passenger in a car earlier and had to give up catching a pokemon because we went round a corner and I didnt want to look like a twat pointing my phone in a random direction to catch it.

Just turn off the VR camera and it won't be an issue.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

From the list of Pokémon you own, if you tap one to view it's info, you can swipe left or right to cycle through the rest of the Pokémon you own.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Ha, captured a gym even though I had no idea what I was doing in the battle. Is it always just tap furiously, tap and hold when a charge attack is ready, furiously try to dodge if you see the enemy using a charge attack?

Also I lost my only good Pokemon taking on some dude's clefairy so the only thing I had left to put in there was a 44 cp spearow

Deal with that, literal child

NULL_SIGNAL
Feb 19, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Are catchable Pokémon shared? As in, if it shows up for two people and one catches it, does it disappear for the other? I need to know if I need to trip my SO as we run for pokemans.

They're not shared in the way you're worried about. The wife and I have been periodically loading the app while around the house, and if a pokemon happens to appear for one of us it generally also appears for the other. If one of us catches it before the other person logs in, it still has appeared.

I'm thinking whatever criteria are being run behind the scenes to determine appearances are shared amongst everyone, but catches are either client-specific or take too long to propagate to other clients for it to matter.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
We live in a world without Pokemon Centres, so we might be screwed if they make Revives really rare.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

PowerBeard posted:

We live in a world without Pokemon Centres, so we might be screwed if they make Revives really rare.

I haven't been trying hard and I have 23 of them, so I think we're OK.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is switching to Google really the way to go? I can't imagine the PTC login server could be THAT bad but I haven't been able to login since last night and it blows.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

PowerBeard posted:

I'm getting revives from every other stop, and I've gotten as many as 3 from a single one. It doesn't seem like you need to worry just yet.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Okay I take it back, that dude who I beat isn't a literal child, I just watched him and a friend take the gym back over >:| I don't think he knew I was the other guy though

So, Pokemon never heal/revive on their own, right? I have to use expendables on them?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I think they run on like 10-15 minute cycles, so you and your SO can catch stuff as long as you do it roughly around the same time. I've been going on walks with people and we all catch the same stuff.

Prop Wash posted:

Okay I take it back, that dude who I beat isn't a literal child, I just watched him and a friend take the gym back over >:| I don't think he knew I was the other guy though

So, Pokemon never heal/revive on their own, right? I have to use expendables on them?

I want to say mine healed when I leveled up but I wasn't certain.

MikeRabsitch fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 8, 2016

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Prop Wash posted:

Yep, that's why you get so many potions/revives when you hit level 5.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, I know nothing about Pokemon, but I'm interested in this game. I got a Charmander, how do I evolve it?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, I know nothing about Pokemon, but I'm interested in this game. I got a Charmander, how do I evolve it?

Find other charmanders. Murder them and liquefy their body.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Find other charmanders. Murder them and liquefy their body.

Or liquefy the one you already have, because the newer ones might have better stats :v:

But yeah you'll need to catch and release like at least 15 or 20 other charmanders to get enough candy.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Did ingress ever introduce a way to change team colors or do I just have to restart if I get home and all my buddies went another color

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The pokeball mechanic is insanely bad especially since every miss potentially costs you real world money.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Tender Bender posted:

The pokeball mechanic is insanely bad especially since every miss potentially costs you real world money.

Eeh, every stop drops at minimum 3 balls, so you have to try pretty hard to run out. I'm sitting on about 180 atm.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Prop Wash posted:

Did ingress ever introduce a way to change team colors or do I just have to restart if I get home and all my buddies went another color

The help page for this game says that you can't change teams at this time. So, the option should be coming. Sometime.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tender Bender posted:

You get Pokeballs from PokeStops. You have the choice of either paying for more or getting off your rear end and exploring town for supplies.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The candies are not rare at all

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
girlfriend just yelled from the bathroom that there's a growlithe in the house and i need to catch it

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Every single time I've tried to fight a gym, I've either gotten the 1HP glitch or had servers crash before the end. gently caress.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Pakled posted:

Every single time I've tried to fight a gym, I've either gotten the 1HP glitch or had servers crash before the end. gently caress.

Same

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures

Budgie posted:

I was a passenger in a car earlier and had to give up catching a pokemon because we went round a corner and I didnt want to look like a twat pointing my phone in a random direction to catch it.

Turn AR off then?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Down in the middle of nowhere Kentucky for work, seems right.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The randomly appearing Pokemon does make the game much more viable to play than Ingress. Going to PokeStops and gyms isn't 100% required to play the game, whereas Ingress has very little gameplay when you're not physically at portals. It's easily possible to open up the game in the middle of nowhere or while at work or home and see what shows up, or wander around your neighborhood. Obviously it still sucks for people in the middle of nowhere who have to go elsewhere for PokeStops and gyms, but you've still got some ability to play.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

My campus is crawling with nerds looking at their phones.

Sounds about right.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
There's a nature path behind my work building with little educational statues and each one counts as a pokestop, and there's a gym in there too. I've worked here 4 years and today will be the first day I walk the nature path.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Broken Cog posted:

Eeh, every stop drops at minimum 3 balls, so you have to try pretty hard to run out. I'm sitting on about 180 atm.

I'm in a city of 500,000 and there's so few pokestops I'd have to drive around to actually visit them, im outta poke-balls :(

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
NYC is great I've already visited 150 unique pokestops.

How do you fight though? I've got a CP452 Pinsir and a CP 313 I want to crush some fools.

Also my bag is full so I can't get any more stuff. What happens when my egg hatches?!?

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

bows1 posted:

NYC is great I've already visited 150 unique pokestops.

How do you fight though? I've got a CP452 Pinsir and a CP 313 I want to crush some fools.

Also my bag is full so I can't get any more stuff. What happens when my egg hatches?!?

I think the only current form of combat is gym battles. Find a gym, destroy their poke, and place yours as the champion.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
My job isn't a pokestop OR a gym. In fact nothing in the entire shopping center is anything. But the gas station across the street is a gym?? :wtf: is there a way to like... Nominate places to be things? A place with this much foot traffic but not being anything is kinda dumb

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Reik posted:

I think the only current form of combat is gym battles. Find a gym, destroy their poke, and place yours as the champion.

No I mean IN the gym what do I do. Ive never played the other pokemon games. Im afraid to lose a good character by losing cause I dont know what to do

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008
There's definitely some "hidden" potential stat for pokemon, even those that aren't classified as XS/XL.

I had 4 rattattas that ranged from ~69-73 CP. Opened the profile for each, and the power up bar was at the same spot.

The XS/XL seems to change when you evolve too- an XL/XL Rattatta became a XS/XL Raticate. The weight went from like 5.4kg to 3.8kg.

I'm sure someone who cares way more will figure out the exact details of this later.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Do you get credit for opening eggs if you don't have the app open?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

queeb posted:

I'm in a city of 500,000 and there's so few pokestops I'd have to drive around to actually visit them, im outta poke-balls :(
As this thread pointed out, if you're having problems with the game's Pokestop balance it's because you live on a farm and should quit playing.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Macaluso posted:

My job isn't a pokestop OR a gym. In fact nothing in the entire shopping center is anything. But the gas station across the street is a gym?? :wtf: is there a way to like... Nominate places to be things? A place with this much foot traffic but not being anything is kinda dumb

Ingress had a way, but they discontinued it. They might introduce it back into Pokemon, but you'll probably see what they saw in Ingress, where people try to abuse it to make gyms they can reach from their couch.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Man where do you guys live that you're finding pokemon in your houses, I had to use incense to find anything at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

My Norwegian is pretty weak but isn't that a poke spot at 'the troll forest?'

2 spooky 4 me.

Raserys posted:

Man where do you guys live that you're finding pokemon in your houses, I had to use incense to find anything at all

Most of them probably live on a major street or a road close to one, or in a city. As others have posted here and on the entire internet they got lazy and re-used the coords from their last game, so all of the complaints from that game are still true.

The worst part is that not only do you have more gyms and spots in the cities but you have more Pokemon in a city than in a park or a farm house.

Also I asked my buddy who lives in a bigger town how it went and he said he literally just walked up and down main street once and had 3x as many pokes as me, to add insult to injury apparently they're like 3x the CP of mine too. This game will definitely increase profits for malls and hot dog vendors way more than it will help state parks.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 8, 2016

• Locked thread