Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Raserys posted:

Man where do you guys live that you're finding pokemon in your houses, I had to use incense to find anything at all

I mean, it's not super frequent. They pop up maybe every hour or two. I could catch way more if I went out walking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Also, whats the deal? a Jigglypuff broke out of 4 balls in a row this morning and disappeared.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

deadly_pudding posted:

I mean, it's not super frequent. They pop up maybe every hour or two. I could catch way more if I went out walking.

One every hour or two is like 1 more than I could find in walking around my entire neighborhood

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

queeb posted:

I'm in a city of 500,000 and there's so few pokestops I'd have to drive around to actually visit them, im outta poke-balls :(

I live in a 15,000 person town and I could at least find a chain of 10 or more Pokemon centers that I could hit up on bike in a five-minute span. Try looking for places like churches, libraries, post offices, government buildings, college buildings, stuff like that. That being said, I don't know how the hell people are finding Pokemon with a CP value above 50, much less 400+.

I hit level five today by spending candies on evolution so I'm about to go out and see if I can snag some throw-aways to strengthen my Pidgeotto so I can topple a gym, wish me luck

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I thought my 212 cp raticate was pretty good for two days of play. Someone took over our gym with a loving 726 Vaporeon.

God damned college kids with too much free time. :mad:

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I live in a 15,000 person town and I could at least find a chain of 10 or more Pokemon centers that I could hit up on bike in a five-minute span. Try looking for places like churches, libraries, post offices, government buildings, college buildings, stuff like that. That being said, I don't know how the hell people are finding Pokemon with a CP value above 50, much less 400+.

I hit level five today by spending candies on evolution so I'm about to go out and see if I can snag some throw-aways to strengthen my Pidgeotto so I can topple a gym, wish me luck

My downtown has bunches of sculptures for a good item run when i smoke between drinks.

Also, cp of caught pokemon increases with your level

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

As this thread pointed out, if you're having problems with the game's Pokestop balance it's because you live on a farm and should quit playing.

I dont get what point you are trying to prove

like, you can just not care about the game until they address your issues with it

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Raserys posted:

Man where do you guys live that you're finding pokemon in your houses, I had to use incense to find anything at all

There seem to be spots in my yard and my neighbor's yard that I can hit from my house. They're not super common, it seems like once I've caught a few over a couple of hours it stops. If my house was closer to the road I'd probably get a few more, but I'm kind of far back.

At work, however, there's nothing. The closest things that pop up are 2 footprints away. I can walk around the parking lot of the shopping center I'm in and catch a few, but from inside I can't reach anything.

There are 2 Pokestops across the street in a housing development and a gym at a church down a side street. If I had a second person working with me I'd wander over on my lunch break, but unfortunately I'm stuck indoors for my shift.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I wish there was some way to kick out members of your own team from gyms. There is a level three gym with three people guarding it, but two of them are below CP 40. That is a shameful display, blue team

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

they are gonna go places yo

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Reik posted:

There's a nature path behind my work building with little educational statues and each one counts as a pokestop, and there's a gym in there too. I've worked here 4 years and today will be the first day I walk the nature path.

Are you in central Florida because that sounds exactly like what I have nearby. Of course they're probably everywhere but yeah.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
Anybody else running into some bullshit where the gym battle will essentially freeze once the opponent is down to their last sliver of health? Like, you can still do attacks, it just doesn't do anything. Quitting and relaunching does nothing, it's as if the fight never happened.

E: immediately after posting this the game gave me the win. Squeaky wheel etc. Anybody know if nicknames show up to other players?

Chill Penguin fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 8, 2016

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

bows1 posted:

Also, whats the deal? a Jigglypuff broke out of 4 balls in a row this morning and disappeared.

Jigglypuffs are notorious jerks.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

What's the deal with throwing a curveball to catch pokemon? I get the ball to sparkle before I throw it but only once or twice have I actually got the extra curveball xp.

For anyone unaware, if you wiggle the pokeball before throwing it starts to sparkle, and throwing it like that actually makes it curve. I rotate around in a few clockwise circles before releasing on the left side of the screen and the ball will curve right and hit the pokemon, only it very rarely counts as a curveball. I believe it's an extra 50xp, so getting that plus nice/great bonus really adds up if you can do it consistently.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
I got a cp300 electrabuzz in line at Starbucks and it wasn't in the "nearby" tab, easily the strongest thing I've found at lvl 6. I'm going to destroy all those high level pidgeots guarding gyms.

Yellow sunbros for life

Purple Prophecy
Mar 7, 2013
Servers seem to be crashing again. Game is fun when it works.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Purple Prophecy posted:

I got 16 minutes into an incense. I guess that's better than nothing.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
At least the servers waited until I was 3/4 of the way done with my walk to crash this time :v:

I got a Machop, which is probably the rarest pokemon I have. This is gonna destroy all the Raticates in nearby gyms if I can just get a gym battle to go through smoothly.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

there's a gym in the park right next to my apartment but it's guarded by like a level 700 electabuzz. RIP pidgey supremacy

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Local servers poo poo themselves again, and I'm out of pokeballs.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Purple Prophecy posted:

i actually managed to cap my gyms and collect the rewards this morning before work, it was nice

rip servers

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

How much data does this use? 'Cuz I'm only on 1gb a month

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Frankston posted:

Not much. 3 days of fairly heavy usage has resulted in 70mb used for me.

Purple Prophecy
Mar 7, 2013

Frankston posted:

Not very much, in two days of playing about 1,5 hours a day I used about 23mb.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Knightmare posted:

I got a cp300 electrabuzz in line at Starbucks and it wasn't in the "nearby" tab, easily the strongest thing I've found at lvl 6. I'm going to destroy all those high level pidgeots guarding gyms.

Yellow sunbros for life

Go team Yellow

Zapdos: The Rule of Two

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
I was trying to collect my gym rewards and the servers seem to have died. RIP. Pretty hectic battleground in my area. A lot of gyms and they swap back between red and blue fairly frequently.

Sirbloody
Aug 21, 2005

Don't fuck with the Rabbi!
Today was a good lunch, I broke at least 5 kids hearts. Went around town and saw 5 gyms all with low CP Pokemon (Under 100 usually) so I did the proper Team Yellow thing and destroyed everyone and replaced everything with CP 300-600 Pokemons. I now own 7 gyms in my local area and I just caught a 500 CP Pinsir to take out a close red gym at work.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Walked about .75 miles down the main strip by my house. There were at least 15 other pokemasters out and about. The servers crashed at the .75 mile mark or i would have kept walking. I ended up turning around and walking home just trying to get back in the game.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Got locked out of my apartment, walked around with Incense on for an hour while I waited for my fiance to bring home keys. Morning could have been worse.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Anyone know if they updated the Android version? I'm in Canada so I to load the APK myself and i can't connect or even load the game today

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

My data usage..have had game on all day except when sleeping for the most part over passed couple days since launch.

Zaekkor fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 8, 2016

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

The Duggler posted:

Anyone know if they updated the Android version? I'm in Canada so I had to load the APK myself and i can't connect or even load the game today

e: Holy gently caress I'm bad at message boarding

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Servers are DOWN!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Sirbloody posted:

Today was a good lunch, I broke at least 5 kids hearts. Went around town and saw 5 gyms all with low CP Pokemon (Under 100 usually) so I did the proper Team Yellow thing and destroyed everyone and replaced everything with CP 300-600 Pokemons. I now own 7 gyms in my local area and I just caught a 500 CP Pinsir to take out a close red gym at work.

Same. I own 20+ gyms in my town of bollingbrook and the town over Woodridge. Blue team supremacy.
Someone joined my gym with a 400 cp rydon. Super jealous.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
At least I managed to hatch a 2.0km egg I had before the servers went down.
Got a pikachu out of it as well, so it seems there can be some decent stuff in them.

Now if only the servers would come back so I could register the last 700m needed for my 10km egg

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Why are the servers always hosed during my smoke breaks.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

My fiancee and I are planning a trip into downtown entirely to get Pokémon. What is this game

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

My fiancee and I are planning a trip into downtown entirely to get Pokémon. What is this game

Everything we wished for and imagined as children. All the way down to the lovely 90s internet.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
This game (when the servers are functioning) fulfills some sort of primal urge to control a legion of dangerous/cute animals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It's the same thing as people fighting over restaurants in Foursquare, it's fun to win things in the "real" world rather than just in the regular Pokémon games. I just wish that you could actually train the Pokémon and do actual fights, but that might be too complicated

• Locked thread