Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Today I realised our "Guest WiFi"is just WiFi on our subnet, named 'guest'.

Now I'm a bit of a network dunce, I have a Draytek Vigor 2960 gateway and a spare Cisco RV220W Firewall that I can use as a radio. Can I break those two things onto their own VLAN to create an isolated network that only have access to the web?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For gently caress's sake people, stop putting different branches of the same customer on different Internet connections provided by different suppliers, and then acting surprised when voice running across the public Internet over a VPN provides a less than awesome experience.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
If they're not all in close geographical proximity, you may not have a choice. We operate in a bunch of different states and have to go with what's available, and in a lot of states our typical provider (TWC) either doesn't have a presence or doesn't offer DIA connections in major metropolitan areas.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

They are all in major UK cities

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Swink posted:

Today I realised our "Guest WiFi"is just WiFi on our subnet, named 'guest'.

Now I'm a bit of a network dunce, I have a Draytek Vigor 2960 gateway and a spare Cisco RV220W Firewall that I can use as a radio. Can I break those two things onto their own VLAN to create an isolated network that only have access to the web?

What is your current WAP? If you have proper gear you should be able to do it without needing a second radio.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I have spent ALL day, so far, trying to figure out this problem with our VoIP system. Each office has a Cisco UC and there is a routed extension between them so you don't have to dial out to reach the other side. Now if I call from A to B, everything rings normally and redirects to voicemail after the no-answer timeout. If I call from B to A, everything rings normally, but after the no-answer timeout the call drops due to an unknown extension when it redirects to voicemail. This is the ONLY direction this problem occurs in, but it occurs 100% of the time. External dialing doesn't experience it either.

Clearly this points me at some tiny little gently caress-up in a config somewhere, but I can't find anything that stands out. I'm going crazy while I dig around for this little loving typo or something and just ugh.

Interested in hearing what the resolution was.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Bigass Moth posted:

Interested in hearing what the resolution was.

Because all things come in waves, I ran into an actual line issue between the sites and have scheduled the provider to send me a tech to test and fix whatever broke. Once that's fixed I should have an answer for what was up with the phantom 'unknown extension'.

We'll know either today or early next week, depending how things shake out.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

We have this 'guirules.xml' file that's 17 megs. Runs through every time someone adds an element to an order. Good god who thought this was a good idea

quote:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<gui_rules>
<panel id="IHDBACTV">
<!--Make fields required for Serial # Activity-->

<rule id="1">

<name>Required fields for Serial #</name>
<!--replace all user group id references with your appropriate User Group ID-->
<for_group>1736</for_group><for_group>1727</for_group><for_group>638</for_group>

<validate>
<condition id="A">
<!--replace 1728 with your INVOICE activity type code value-->
<field_id>316</field_id>
<operator>eq</operator>
<id_value>1728</id_value>

</condition>
</validate>

That poo poo for like....17 megs. I think AS/400 guy just copy/pasted it a billion times. Surprised it even runs.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

This software has a tracking # field. ITS NOT EVEN BIG ENOUGH TO HOLD A UPS TRACKING NUMBER. It's only 12 characters long. :lol:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Your AS/400 guy is a real treat.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
12? That seems.. arbitrary. Even 0 based that doesn't make any sense. :psyduck:

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Just had an email from a client who, instead of ADDING a new CASE STUDY to their website, decided to EDIT the case studies PAGE instead, deleting all the content on it. Then they wondered where the case study page went.

As a bonus, when I called to try and clarify what they had done, everyone had already left their office. At 16:30.

mewse
May 2, 2006

nexus6 posted:

Just had an email from a client who, instead of ADDING a new CASE STUDY to their website, decided to EDIT the case studies PAGE instead, deleting all the content on it. Then they wondered where the case study page went.

As a bonus, when I called to try and clarify what they had done, everyone had already left their office. At 16:30.

You have back ups :ortiz:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

mewse posted:

Hopefully, cause they're gonna get used again Monday when they try to add the case study again. You know, right before they check their e-mail.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Our company uses Excel to generate quotes. We're a 300+ person, 100+ million dollar firm.

Several times in the last year, salespeople have emailed the entire Excel spreadsheet with all of our prices to customers instead of printing out a .pdf of the quote.

Yesterday new project meeting was called; Now we are going to have a product that will sit between CRM and DAX so you can use DAX product data to quote customers.

This product (Experlogix) uses a Microsoft Access database at it's core. :negative:

oh, one neat postscript to this meeting; about 80% through the meeting while the salesperson was congratulating himself and our EA people were congratulating themselves, I asked "So, how does a quote get back into DAX once its approved to generate the order for manufacturing?" Watching the realization dawn on 3 members of the EA team that an entire HUGE portion of their project wasn't scoped was pretty funny. It almost made that meeting worth going to. Almost.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

mewse posted:

Yeah, all the content has revisions too. That's why I called, to see how back I need to revert.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

nexus6 posted:

Yeah, all the content has revisions too. That's why I called, to see how back I need to revert.
You're not being a team player. Please just do the needful, revert, and revert.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DigitalMocking posted:

This product (Experlogix) uses a Microsoft Access database at it's core. :negative:

We load quotes from Excl into a fancy PowerPoint then make a pdf. Nobody's emailed the excel price book out though, sheesh.

Anyway I sat through an experlogic demo this week. What ERP are you using it with?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Have a customer who doesn't meet a core requirement to use our software. We point this out and ask him to configure it.

He claims this is impossible. The requirement cannot be met by anyone ever.

(We have hundreds of customers who meet it. )

Customer won't let it drop. Goes through support from bottom to top. Gets to product management. Gets to VP level.

Finally gets shut down.

Then posts on technet about it claiming it's possible and we are idiots. Guy then posts a reply under a different email (same domain) agreeing with himself.

Convinced a VP at our place this is legit and now we are pulling engineering resources to handle it

What the gently caress

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ConfusedUs posted:

Have a customer who doesn't meet a core requirement to use our software. We point this out and ask him to configure it.

He claims this is impossible. The requirement cannot be met by anyone ever.

(We have hundreds of customers who meet it. )

Customer won't let it drop. Goes through support from bottom to top. Gets to product management. Gets to VP level.

Finally gets shut down.

Then posts on technet about it claiming it's possible and we are idiots. Guy then posts a reply under a different email (same domain) agreeing with himself.

Convinced a VP at our place this is legit and now we are pulling engineering resources to handle it

What the gently caress

Time to put on your own sock puppets and shut this down.

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Thanks Ants posted:

For gently caress's sake people, stop putting different branches of the same customer on different Internet connections provided by different suppliers, and then acting surprised when voice running across the public Internet over a VPN provides a less than awesome experience.

I bet they're also all basic residential contracts with no SLA too, as a "cost-saving" measure.

I work for an ISP, and the amount of large companies using (sometimes the cheapest of the cheap) residential contracts for their various locations is almost depressing. Of course, they will also complain the moment there's an issue and they find out they have no kind of priority whatsoever, and refuse to pay for an intervention outside of normal service hours, or that we don't offer any phone support on modem configuration for port forwarding or using a separate router/firewall(ISP provides the modem/router combo, they're not locked down or anything and port forwarding isn't that hard to figure out on them either, and it's very easy to get a router/firewall running considering it's just PPPoE. Hell, you can hook up your own VDSL2 modem as long as it's whitelisted for VDSL2 vectoring, you just get no support on configuration)

And it's not like a professional line is that much more expensive either, plus it comes with a lot of nice features and better support and SLAs.

Less than two months to go though, then I'm getting out of here.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Volmarias posted:

Time to put on your own sock puppets and shut this down.

Yeah the next step is to link to that forum post so the goon rush can spam it with "nu uh "

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
I've put together more computers than I can count and yet I still wince when turning one on for the first time.

poo poo not pissing me off; a working home vmware esxi lab!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

xzzy posted:

Schedules like that are generated by closeted homebodies that are incapable of registering that social activities exist or are clustered around Saturday/Sunday.

Like many folks, when I first started in IT, I worked on a helpdesk. There were probably a total of 90-100 tier 1 techs there at the time. Every six months they'd do a "shift bid" and you picked from available shifts, in order of seniority. And if we had 100 T1s, I was maybe number 94 down on the seniority list.

By the time I got to pick, most of the shifts that were left were ones where you'd work nine days straight, then have two off, work another, then have two more days off. The work week started on Saturday, so none of the days off fell on Saturday or Sunday. As an added bonus, my group was the last one they ever hired, so I was to be stuck at the bottom of the seniority list permanently.

Good times.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

hihifellow posted:

I've put together more computers than I can count and yet I still wince when turning one on for the first time.

poo poo not pissing me off; a working home vmware esxi lab!

How much is the VMWare licensing for this?

E: nevermind, missed the esxi part.

RFC2324 fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jul 9, 2016

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

RFC2324 posted:

How much is the VMWare licensing for this?

You can get it for free legally.

https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/evalcenter?p=free-esxi6

The newer versions have gone down hill IMO, you don't get the web manager and the vsphere client won't let you manage everything.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

PBS posted:

You can get it for free legally.

https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/evalcenter?p=free-esxi6

The newer versions have gone down hill IMO, you don't get the web manager and the vsphere client won't let you manage everything.

Unless you're talking about something else, I'm using the web manager on the free version of 6.0 right now.

It's kind of bad, but I'm using it.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

hihifellow posted:

Unless you're talking about something else, I'm using the web manager on the free version of 6.0 right now.

It's kind of bad, but I'm using it.

Well I'll be damned, you're right. Still seems rather limited, but I'll have to look around with it more.

PBS fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 10, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://labs.vmware.com/flings/esxi-embedded-host-client

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Bob Morales posted:

We load quotes from Excl into a fancy PowerPoint then make a pdf. Nobody's emailed the excel price book out though, sheesh.

Anyway I sat through an experlogic demo this week. What ERP are you using it with?

Microsoft Dynamics AX.

So it turns out experlogix only uses Access for its own configuration bits, everything else between DAX and CRM is stored in a real MSSQL database, so, that's something I guess.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

DigitalMocking posted:

Microsoft Dynamics AX.

So it turns out experlogix only uses Access for its own configuration bits, everything else between DAX and CRM is stored in a real MSSQL database, so, that's something I guess.

Does it use an actual Access instance or is it just using the JetSQL driver? If it's just using Jet, that's pretty much like using SQLite. If it's using an actual Access instance then :psyduck:

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Benjamin Franklin

Arsten posted:

Does it use an actual Access instance or is it just using the JetSQL driver? If it's just using Jet, that's pretty much like using SQLite. If it's using an actual Access instance then :psyduck:

It requires a full Access install for their 'configuration and control' server.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

MrMojok posted:

Like many folks, when I first started in IT, I worked on a helpdesk. There were probably a total of 90-100 tier 1 techs there at the time. Every six months they'd do a "shift bid" and you picked from available shifts, in order of seniority. And if we had 100 T1s, I was maybe number 94 down on the seniority list.

By the time I got to pick, most of the shifts that were left were ones where you'd work nine days straight, then have two off, work another, then have two more days off. The work week started on Saturday, so none of the days off fell on Saturday or Sunday. As an added bonus, my group was the last one they ever hired, so I was to be stuck at the bottom of the seniority list permanently.

Good times.

They should have implemented DKP but for shifts.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

MrMojok posted:

Good times.

My desktop team is like that too. The latest hire (me) gets the latest shift. Nobody else is going to get hired here and all they can say is "well, you're the new guy :v:" Motherfucker it's been 3 years.

Everyone else gets to take off 90 minutes before me and dump all their poo poo on me and count on me to pick up tickets for the on call even if I have something to do after work.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Stop loving doing that. Although I can't see that being easy with 3 years of inertia behind it.

Our support guys are 'allowed' to take the morning off work if they take an on-call ticket past 1am, if they can re-arrange any morning appointments they might have.

a) How the gently caress are they going to re-schedule an appointment at that sort of time?
b) It shits all over the mandated 11 hours continuous break from work in each 24 hour period written into the EU working time directive - if someone takes a call at 00:30 then they have until 11:30 before they are legally allowed to be at work again
c) It's a bad deal all round because it's in addition to keeping normal business hours in the office in exchange for a meagre bonus each week plus being paid for the time you're dealing with a call

I was told that I was joining this scheme a few months back as an escalation point, said 'nope, I'm not' and I've heard nothing back since. At all.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
I got into an argument with a contract developer over them submitting crappy code and raised it with their superior who told me that shortcut-filled code, lazy coding and going wildly off scope was 'the style of their company' and a ' difference of philosophy'

This is to my face, despite the way I own a share in the company that they're contracting to

Well, that contract isn't getting renewed

Spades fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jul 11, 2016

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I just sat ten minutes listening to queue music on the phone before giving up, and whoever devised this track is an evil genius. It 's a generic melody that loops endlessly, periodically pauses for a fraction of a second to give you just enough hope every so often before dashing it with the guitar riff continuing.

One day I will meet the man responsible for its nefarious creation, and his death will be swift, attentive to my needs, and resolved within a reasonable timeframe to my satisfaction :toughguy:.

My opinion of the offending NOC (translation; glorified tier-1 Helldesk as far as we can make out) not answering a 24x7 emergency support line is also... low. Especially with their support guy lying rampantly to us earlier today to try and make us go away.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Our telephony provider runs a hold music loop, but interrupts it every 3 minutes with a voice saying "Hello! <pause> Did you know you can submit a ticket online? Blah blah..." and that loving hello catches me off guard every time.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Collateral Damage posted:

Our telephony provider runs a hold music loop, but interrupts it every 3 minutes with a voice saying "Hello! <pause> Did you know you can submit a ticket online? Blah blah..." and that loving hello catches me off guard every time.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I just sat ten minutes listening to queue music on the phone before giving up, and whoever devised this track is an evil genius. It 's a generic melody that loops endlessly, periodically pauses for a fraction of a second to give you just enough hope every so often before dashing it with the guitar riff continuing.

Can confirm, have been fooled many times by both of these, sometimes multiple times during the same call....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Collateral Damage posted:

I remember once having to call Blizzard/Battle.net for authentication things and having to sit through maybe 15 minutes of "Hello! ....... This is a recorded voice" status updates, and by the time an actual human came on the line my arms went into panic mode making me fling me phone across the room.