Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy

Tarantula posted:

White woman makes grand claims about her time in Zambia, including dealing with rebels, holding a gap toothed HIV ridden child whose best experience was sharing a drink of coke with her. And now she is a famous author for all the wrong reasons.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/craigsilverman/people-are-calling-bullshit-on-this-memoir?utm_term=.cgV8yZPGo#.sw9VjMOQY

When I read this, I immediately clicked the link to see if I knew this person. She sounds like my old friend from high school who moved to South Africa in our final year, and when she came back she was full of stdh like this, including a story where she was mugged at gunpoint but was able to escape after she charmed the would-be mugger with her witty banter and gave him her shoes. Last time I heard from her was when I was in University, and she emailed me saying she had just come back from living in Cuba for a year "to see how the communists do it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

genetic_knockout posted:

When I read this, I immediately clicked the link to see if I knew this person. She sounds like my old friend from high school who moved to South Africa in our final year, and when she came back she was full of stdh like this, including a story where she was mugged at gunpoint but was able to escape after she charmed the would-be mugger with her witty banter and gave him her shoes. Last time I heard from her was when I was in University, and she emailed me saying she had just come back from living in Cuba for a year "to see how the communists do it".

She was on a psych hold ("sectioned") both times.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

My favorite part of this is at :45 when it pans over to the little brother, who's just as mean and snotty.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Data Graham posted:

I feel inclined to point out that in the case of the 11'8" bridge especially, a huge proportion of the crashes are rental trucks—which means people who aren't used to driving big trucks, aren't licensed to drive commercial vehicles, probably have never done it before, and may never do it again in their lives. They're in the middle of moving house, and they're probably very preoccupied as it is; it's a stressful day and possibly part of a very stressful week or month. I'm not in the least surprised that the very last thing on their mind is "how tall is my truck, do those flashing lights apply to me?"

If I were a Ryder/Penske/Uhaul/whatever franchisee in the area I would probably be paranoid as poo poo and would be grilling my renters on their planned route and arming them with lectures and maps on how to avoid that intersection.

I used to work at a ferry terminal which is a somewhat alien environment for a lot of people. Some really do turn into drooling idiots when they have to do more than drive on the same roads they use daily. If it's not routine they somehow lose the ability to read signage or recognize basic road markings.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Anos posted:

I used to work at a ferry terminal which is a somewhat alien environment for a lot of people. Some really do turn into drooling idiots when they have to do more than drive on the same roads they use daily. If it's not routine they somehow lose the ability to read signage or recognize basic road markings.

I have some ferry worker friends and live on a big dumb ferry island, I'd love to hear your stories.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Jesse said he would now move to New York and try to find his daughter, who was adopted.

Don't do this. Leave that girl alone :(

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Rondette posted:

My aunt did this after a crazy self destructive spiral and just made life super awkward for her totally not son who doesn't even know her.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Rondette posted:

Do you think if he finds her he's just going to start pranking her non-stop to try to recapture some of that lost fame?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Baronjutter posted:

There's some major low-clearance tunnel in Australia people kept hitting. This wasn't some old rough and tumble bridge, a hit by a truck could really damage the tunnel. So they ended up installing a huge long chain of warnings and signs that light up and sirens that go off all along the approach to the tunnel. That still didnt work, drivers are that loving dumb. They eventually had to develop a water-curtain projection system that floods the entrance of the tunnel with a special mist of water that a massive STOP sign is projected on.

Ah here it is in action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk9DjO-_rT8

The takeaway from all this is that a certain percentage of drivers, even of massive commercial vehicles which they should be specially licensed and regulated to drive, basically are asleep at the wheel not paying attention to anything around them.

They had an interview with the first dude to trigger one of these in the field, they asked him why he didn't stop at any of other other warnings. It was something like "eh.. I was sort of zoned out, I didn't notice anything until this huge shape appeared in front of me and I jammed on the breaks". poo poo like that should get you license taken away for at least a few years. But driving is a human right or something so you gotta go easy on drivers.

The Blackwall Tunnel in London has this same problem, because the northbound and southbound bores are different diameters (so trucks can get through one way and not the other) and because it's on the shortest route from the continent to the centre of town. Warnings signs about it start in loving France, then from about 2 miles out there are increasingly-solid barriers dangling down to smack any overheight vehicles, culminating in three flashing signs and diversionary routes and finally a big level-crossing-style barrier just before the final escape road. About 2 trucks a day end up getting stopped by that one (and heavily fined) and still one or two a year manage to get past all that and get stuck in the tunnel, closing it down and paralysing east London for a couple of days while they repair it.

At this point I'm fairly sure I could campaign for Mayor of London on a platform of positioning snipers at Kidbrooke to shoot any driver of an overheight vehicle before they can do any more damage (their out-of-control lorry would cause no damage to Kidbrooke, it's a shithole that would actually be improved by 40 tons of exotic chemicals smashing into it at 70 mph) and win in a landslide.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

The first time I ever drove a UHaul I was following my GPS trying to find some fast food or something because I had been driving for 10 hours straight and saw an 11 foot 8 sign. My first thought was "huh its like that one bridge which all the idiots hit in trucks" shortly followed by "oh poo poo I'm the idiot in the truck". So thanks goons for saving me from murdering a helpless bridge.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ranbo das posted:

The first time I ever drove a UHaul I was following my GPS trying to find some fast food or something because I had been driving for 10 hours straight and saw an 11 foot 8 sign. My first thought was "huh its like that one bridge which all the idiots hit in trucks" shortly followed by "oh poo poo I'm the idiot in the truck". So thanks goons for saving me from murdering a helpless bridge.

That's a real M Night Shamylan twist.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The Blackwall Tunnel in London has this same problem, because the northbound and southbound bores are different diameters (so trucks can get through one way and not the other) and because it's on the shortest route from the continent to the centre of town. Warnings signs about it start in loving France, then from about 2 miles out there are increasingly-solid barriers dangling down to smack any overheight vehicles, culminating in three flashing signs and diversionary routes and finally a big level-crossing-style barrier just before the final escape road. About 2 trucks a day end up getting stopped by that one (and heavily fined) and still one or two a year manage to get past all that and get stuck in the tunnel, closing it down and paralysing east London for a couple of days while they repair it.

At this point I'm fairly sure I could campaign for Mayor of London on a platform of positioning snipers at Kidbrooke to shoot any driver of an overheight vehicle before they can do any more damage (their out-of-control lorry would cause no damage to Kidbrooke, it's a shithole that would actually be improved by 40 tons of exotic chemicals smashing into it at 70 mph) and win in a landslide.

seems like it would be easier to fix the tunnel so that it has the same clearance in both directions.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Cumslut1895 posted:

seems like it would be easier to fix the tunnel so that it has the same clearance in both directions.

It's a tunnel under the Thames so you'd have to be doing a heck of a lot of repairs to equal the cost of widening it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

How the gently caress did that even happen? You'd think an underwater tunnel would be a place where you'd want everything to be completely uniform.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Io_ posted:

It's a tunnel under the Thames so you'd have to be doing a heck of a lot of repairs to equal the cost of widening it.

Trivial to narrow the other side, I would think.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

How the gently caress did that even happen? You'd think an underwater tunnel would be a place where you'd want everything to be completely uniform.

I bet it's the Victorian's fault. Everything bad in the UK is their fault.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

ranbo das posted:

That thing someone posted about having low hanging sensors or something before the bridge is a good idea. Like, hang a basketball type thing or something an inch or two below the clearance level so if the truck hits it, it makes an alarm sound.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
There's a bridge around me that does that. It's got a sign hanging across the street by some chains that'll slap against the front of a truck that's too low. I think it's an intersection or two back from where the bridge itself is so that people know to turn away. I don't think there have really been any accidents there because the loud noise of something slapping against the trailer is on a different level than just signs and lights.

On the other hand, though, there's a bridge out by Valley Forge whose underpass is at the end of another bridge. To my knowledge, there is functionally no signage before the bridge, and no turnoff besides some nearby business. I got stuck behind a truck travelling up that way before that just barely missed hitting the bridge. Like, he realized last minute that he was too big from the bridge, and spent probably 15 minutes trying to turn his tractor trailer around on a length of road that was barely longer than the truck itself.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

updog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zawmzp4-qvQ

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

SpacePig posted:

Valley Forge

Sup, PA goon. There's actually an old covered bridge in Valley Forge Park that someone took out with a truck. I think it was a hit and run. They've been repairing it over the past year and it's currently causing headaches for people on 23 East.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Random Stranger posted:

I bet it's the Victorian's fault. Everything bad in the UK is their fault.

Yeah, every park in London smells of cum because of her.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Cop decides the smart thing to do is make a (potentially) sarcastic comment on facebook about a recent shooting, and it leads to him being suspended, decommissioned, and under investigation.

He's been a cop for 8 years.

https://www.nashville.gov/News-Media/News-Article/ID/5449/Officer-Anthony-Venable-Decommissioned-Under-Investigation-for-Facebook-Post.aspx

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Rick_Hunter posted:

Oh, here we go, bitching about the cum trees again. Can't you just gracefully accept a good prank?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Cop decides the smart thing to do is make a (potentially) sarcastic comment on facebook about a recent shooting, and it leads to him being suspended, decommissioned, and under investigation.

He's been a cop for 8 years.

https://www.nashville.gov/News-Media/News-Article/ID/5449/Officer-Anthony-Venable-Decommissioned-Under-Investigation-for-Facebook-Post.aspx

So, he'd be better off if he had shot a defenseless teen on camera is what you're telling me.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Rick_Hunter posted:

https://youtu.be/O4p0uw42cdo

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

azurite posted:

Sup, PA goon. There's actually an old covered bridge in Valley Forge Park that someone took out with a truck. I think it was a hit and run. They've been repairing it over the past year and it's currently causing headaches for people on 23 East.

Oh, poo poo, I didn't know someone took out that little covered bridge. Who in their right mind would think they could take a truck under a covered bridge? Jesus. 23's bad enough as it is, I can't imagine how bad it is now.

The one I'm talking about it a bit further north, on 422. Technically Phoenixville, I think. I found it on Google Maps, and went to street view. There's a single sign right before the bridge over the Schuylkill, so it's not entirely unmarked, but it's at an intersection where you don't need to stop, and entirely missable. At least the other end has the height signs at a the intersection before, and that intersection has stop signs.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

So what is he supposed to talk about when someone initiates a conversation with him?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Mierenneuker posted:

So what is he supposed to talk about when someone initiates a conversation with him?

Luckily he also does crossfit.

67 and still making love
Oct 7, 2005

Peek
a
BLARGH

Someone tell him black tatt ink has animal bone char in it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

God where to start? Dude looks like an accountant or an insurance salesman who went a wild one night bender and wound up like that. Like The Hangover or something.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SpacePig posted:

Oh, poo poo, I didn't know someone took out that little covered bridge. Who in their right mind would think they could take a truck under a covered bridge? Jesus. 23's bad enough as it is, I can't imagine how bad it is now.

There's also a big chunk of Valley Forge park that's closed off because companies used to be allowed to dump asbestos in the old limestone quarry there (going back to even before it was a park) and a company trenching for fiber-optics found some hell of contaminated soil a while back. But at least that doesn't affect traffic.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

SpacePig posted:

Schuylkill

There is an immense feeling of schadenfreude in hearing someone not from the area attempt to pronounce this, or attempt to spell it after hearing someone else say it.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I could do it :geert:

I assume it originally meant hidey-hole, or hiding ditch.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 21:41 on Jul 8, 2016

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Xenoletum posted:

There is an immense feeling of schadenfreude in hearing someone not from the area attempt to pronounce this, or attempt to spell it after hearing someone else say it.

I'll admit that, even being from the area, I forgot how to spell it and had to look it up. I always forget about that first L. Local words and pronunciations are fun. Trying to get someone from even, like, a county over to understand "wooder" is like re-enacting the "yutes" scene from My Cousin Vinny.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Mierenneuker posted:

I assume it originally meant hidey-hole, or hiding ditch.

"Hidden/Hiding river". It's pretty well obscured from a distance, as it's in a decent valley for much of it's run around Philly and the surrounding landscape is otherwise flat.

But of course, the real schadenfreude related to the Schuykill doesn't start until you combine it with the word "Expressway".

http://www.yelp.com/biz/schuylkill-expressway-philadelphia

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Mierenneuker posted:

actually probably not, it's pronounced Schoolkill

edit: actually I was just assuming that's not the Dutch way because every other name with an -uy in it in the former New Netherland colony (Schuylerville, Stuyvesant, etc) has the -uy as rhyming with "fly" BUT since I don't speak Dutch, for all I know "Schoolkill" is right and every single other place is wrong :shrug:

InediblePenguin has a new favorite as of 22:34 on Jul 8, 2016

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

It's probably a Van Gogh-esque thing where I can pronounce it the way it's supposed to, but that is not the common (and/or current) pronunciation among English speakers.
(vahn goggg instead of van go, sorry too rusty on my IPA)

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

InediblePenguin posted:

actually probably not, it's pronounced Schoolkill

:confused:
I've never heard the first L pronounced in my life. I've always heard it more as "skookull"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnnTnFVaEVY

e: Wikipedia's best guess for the name is something like "hidden river" or "hideout creek"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I.e "skulk kill"