Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Have there been a lot of studies in to the current method of military training and how it affects human psychology? I could see being taught to dehumanize the enemy as a form of survival could have very serious repercussions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Reik posted:

Have there been a lot of studies in to the current method of military training and how it affects human psychology? I could see being taught to dehumanize the enemy as a form of survival could have very serious repercussions.

That's not exactly a new method of military training.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SPARTANS! RECOGNIZE THAT YOUR OPPONENTS ARE ALSO FIGHTING A DIFFICULT STRUGGLE OF THEIR OWN! THEIR FAMILIES LOVE THEM TOO!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

so are assassination robots a new thing or what

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aliquid posted:

Let's ask this Afghani wedding *turns to smoking crater*

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zoux posted:

SPARTANS! RECOGNIZE THAT YOUR OPPONENTS ARE ALSO FIGHTING A DIFFICULT STRUGGLE OF THEIR OWN! THEIR FAMILIES LOVE THEM TOO!

Other than being good at military action, I doubt the Spartans with their xenophobia and genocidal tendencies are a good reference for modern war.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/madlinbmek/status/751456039443181568

:ughh:

e: uhhhhh

https://twitter.com/madlinbmek/status/751456514062245888

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

I doubt the Spartans with their xenophobia and genocidal tendencies are a good reference for modern war.

Yeah those things are super not a part of modern militaries.

Oh good, maybe he'll talk his way out of office.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Yeah those things are super not a part of modern militaries.

Oh good, maybe he'll talk his way out of office.

:ssh: For the military he was a member of, yes it is. If he has deployed, ROE is pretty freaking strict, ignoring the drone attacks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So this is my utility bill for June, my house is 2200 sq. feet.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

holy poo poo

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Reik posted:

There's literally an entire field of study specifically about this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killology

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Aliquid posted:

holy poo poo

He should just loving say the protesters deserved to get shot, it's what he's communicating anyway.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Aliquid posted:

Remote control grenades have been a video game thing forever, I'm just not sure what to think about a police department using such a thing.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

zoux posted:

You must have a very leaky house or keep it absolutely frigid. I'm in a bigger house than that in Houston and work from home regularly during which I run the A/C upstairs all day, and it looks like my June bill is going to be $80. New construction houses with modern A/C can keep things cool without using much electricity.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

IMJack posted:

Remote control grenades have been a video game thing forever, I'm just not sure what to think about a police department using such a thing.

I choose to imagine a cop/SWAT threw a C4 sticky grenade that stuck to the shooter like the ones in Black Ops 2.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

You must have a very leaky house or keep it absolutely frigid. I'm in a bigger house than that in Houston and work from home regularly during which I run the A/C upstairs all day, and it looks like my June bill is going to be $80. New construction houses with modern A/C can keep things cool without using much electricity.

$.135 per kWh

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Poor, Zoux, getting rekt by utility companies. :rip:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

zoux posted:

$.135 per kWh

Yikes, you're both using almost twice the power I do and paying more than twice as much per kWh. Condolences.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I used 361 kwh last month :stare:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah it's why everyone has roommates in Austin if they aren't some CA techbro making too much money.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Yeah it's why everyone has roommates in Austin if they aren't some CA techbro making too much money.

I don't have a roommate :smaug:

What are rates like in San Antonio? I know they also have a city-run utility.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Badger of Basra posted:

I don't have a roommate :smaug:

What are rates like in San Antonio? I know they also have a city-run utility.

I'm seeing $0.0691 per KWH plus another $0.0198/KWH if you go above 600KWH in the summer. Still a lot less than 13.5 cents though.

I think that equivalent bill would be like $200 or thereabouts with the minimum service fee.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I wonder how much of the SA city budget is utility transfers? I'll have to do some research.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

computer parts posted:

I'm seeing $0.0691 per KWH plus another $0.0198/KWH if you go above 600KWH in the summer. Still a lot less than 13.5 cents though.

I think that equivalent bill would be like $200 or thereabouts with the minimum service fee.

That's our scheme.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

zoux posted:

drat, where do you live? The non electrical part of that bill is over 150 dollars.

I pay 42 bucks a month on average for water/sewer/trash etc. and last month I paid 204.75 for 1793 kWh

edit:

I have CPS Energy, live in a SA suburb.

8.75 service availability charge

1793 kWh x $0.0691 energy charge 123.90
Peak Capacity Charge 1,193 kWh x $0.0198 23.62
Fuel Adjustment 1793 kWh x $0.01624 29.12
Regulatory Adj 1793 kWh x $0.0108 19.36

We use the poo poo out of electricity though. My kids and wife can't turn off a light to save their life, I have a ton of electronic stuff in the house and keep the A/C at 71 all day every day.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 8, 2016

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

skipdogg posted:

drat, where do you live? The non electrical part of that bill is over 150 dollars.

I pay 42 bucks a month on average for water/sewer/trash etc. and last month I paid 204.75 for 1793 kWh

South Austin.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
https://www.ltgov.state.tx.us/2016/07/08/lt-governor-patrick-orders-texas-flags-at-half-staff-in-honor-of-dallas-police-officers/

quote:

July 8, 2016

AUSTIN – Today, as acting governor, I am directing that the Texas flag be immediately lowered to half-staff in honor of the lives and public service of our slain officers and victims of yesterday’s tragic and senseless event.
Some flags at private businesses were already at half staff this morning and I was surprised there weren't more (though it's probably because it happened overnight).

I would like a followup on the Goliad County Judge who refused to fly flags at half staff after the Orlando massacre.
http://www.crossroadstoday.com/story/32304486/goliad-county-judge-said-no-to-lowering-of-flags

quote:

Calhoun says the lowering of the flags are meant to honor the passing of U.S. or Foreign dignitaries, servicemen, or during times of national tragedies.

"If we lower it for everybody that every time that some thug kills someone else pretty soon we may as not have flag poles because were going to be lowering them all the time." Said Calhoun

zeroprime fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jul 8, 2016

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

sometimes i wish i had one of those Old Texas surnames, i bet they get automatic membership in country clubs and poo poo

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

In addition to taking a significant amount of money directly from Austin Energy (around 17% of revenue after fuel expenses I think), the city makes heavy use of the Austin Energy billing system to tack on a whole bunch of random things.

There are fees for street cleaning, fees for the code compliance department, wastewater and water service (with separate customer fees for each), a drainage fee based on the percentage of your property that has impervious cover (which is currently being used to buy out homeowners in the Onion Creek floodplain), and a fee for street repair. Basically the city has maxed out the sales tax and property tax rates are already really pissing people off, so they've gotten creative.

A few years ago I read (but cannot find now) an article which outlined just how massively the City Government would be hosed if the Lege finally made good on its the threats to break off Austin Energy.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

That's probably the easiest way to get revenue in this dumb town. They need a county-wide income tax or find some way to annex Rollingwood, Westlake and Lakeway against their will.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
So I was all ready to be like "Jesus loving christ shut up about how much you pay for electricity. Nobody loving cares", but then it made me curious so I went and checked how much I was paying.

I somehow I hosed myself over 8 years ago and agreed to 13 cents per kw and have been paying that since. Called up and bitched, and now I will be paying on average 8.2 cents per kh. So, thanks for saving me about $75 per month Goons!

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Aliquid posted:

That's probably the easiest way to get revenue in this dumb town. They need a county-wide income tax or find some way to annex Rollingwood, Westlake and Lakeway against their will.

Just make every road in Austin that connect to Rollingwood and Westlake into toll roads. $2.50 each way that hits as soon as you enter or leave the city limits.

Goddamn, remember when the rear end in a top hat mayor or Rollingwood tried to extort money out of ACL for "city fees"? ACL told him to kindly go gently caress himself and his lovely white flight suburb.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Aliquid posted:

I used 361 kwh last month :stare:

You either are heat-immune or live in a very modern, very small apartment. I can get away with usage like that during winter in a 2400 sqft house, but during summer even working to conserve power we burn over 700 kWh.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

You either are heat-immune or live in a very modern, very small apartment. I can get away with usage like that during winter in a 2400 sqft house, but during summer even working to conserve power we burn over 700 kWh.

Yeah as far as I know the only difference between May and June for us was the temperature. We haven't changed the programming on our thermostat or anything.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

zoux posted:

Yeah as far as I know the only difference between May and June for us was the temperature. We haven't changed the programming on our thermostat or anything.

You change electric companies every time your contract comes up right? The plans on powertochoose are much better than whatever crap plans they try to renew you with.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Who is in charge of the DallasPD twitter?

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/751488221985505280

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Reik posted:

You change electric companies every time your contract comes up right? The plans on powertochoose are much better than whatever crap plans they try to renew you with.

Not in the city of Austin.

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/751488459798294528

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

My thermostat is set at 81 :sweatdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Are Austin and San Antonio the only areas of the state that are still regulated/have municipal power?