Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

The SituAsian posted:

Sorry I keep forgetting that people other than the 8-9 posters ridicuously invested in boxing post here every now and then. Al Haymon is the 'adviser' who is responsible creating the Premier Boxing Championship brand which is essentially an attempt to make boxing into a league like the UFC. He is very controversial-and I'll be the first to admit I irrationally hate him and his ventures-but has been responsible for bringing boxing back to network television.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Haymon

The play by play commentator was Mauro Ranallo who has been calling the fights for Showtime for several years now. He's used to mainly do Pride and Strikeforce MMA but has really grown into his role at boxing.
Thanks for the explanation, I almost never watch boxing and hey it was on and it was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mauro Ranallo is loving terrible and I find myself cringing my way through any fight he calls

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

doctor thodt posted:

Mauro Ranallo is loving terrible and I find myself cringing my way through any fight he calls

He doesn't do them any more, does he?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

The SituAsian posted:

The play by play commentator was Mauro Ranallo who has been calling the fights for Showtime for several years now. He's used to mainly do Pride and Strikeforce MMA but has really grown into his role at boxing.

Mauro is one of the worst mma commentators of all time, but he's surprisingly inoffensive as a boxing commentator - probably because he knows he doesn't know poo poo about boxing and lets his partners talk most of the time.

thehappyprince posted:

are you thinking of al bernstein

Bernstein is one of the all time greats.

Slaine
Feb 26, 2001
Mauro has awful one-liners without fail every boxing match (internet troll, extras from the walking dead!).

Had Porter winning, though I thought Thurman would take it from the outset. Thurman's footwork wasn't too good, and his body language was the worse of the two throughout the fight.

I could definitely see Porter being a guy who gets KO'd easy later in his career as his punch resistance wears down, but I really felt he deserved this one. He pushed Thurman to the ropes consistently, as he wanted, and traded often enough to make his exchanges worthwhile.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Here are the scorecards:

They're all over the place.

Looks like they all agreed on rounds 1, 4, 8 and 11 for Thurman. They also all had 2 and 7 for Porter. Everything else was a jumble.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

good job showtime research department

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i think those are boxnation graphics?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

thehappyprince posted:

i think those are boxnation graphics?

Yeah, I wasn't paying close attention, it's showtime carrying a bn broadcast as "showtime boxing international."

Which explains a lot. The other guy? He's from Liverpool! This guy? FUCKIN' FRENCHIE BASTARD.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Herring v Shafikov was a great bloody battering if you like that sort of fight

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
The two 'name' pros participating in the open Olympic qualifying tournament in Venezuela are Amnat Ruenroeng and Hassan N'Dam N'jikam. Both will face suspension from the WBC and IBF but given where they are right now professionally probably worth it to seek a medal and to try and revitalize their careers.

http://www.scmp.com/sport/boxing/article/1984844/taking-shot-professional-boxers-hassan-ndam-and-amnat-ruenroeng-enter

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jul 4, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I love Amnat and his terrible fighting.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Both N'dam N'Jikam and Ruenroeng have qualified for the Rio games in the light heavyweight and lightweight divisions respectively.

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/ruenroeng-earns-olympic-berth-345118

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Short doc on when Kovalev killed a guy in the ring. Interesting, as he never has/has refused to speak about this in public until now.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/life-after-death-the-toughest-fight-for-sergey-kovalev-191941119.html

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Short doc on when Kovalev killed a guy in the ring. Interesting, as he never has/has refused to speak about this in public until now.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/life-after-death-the-toughest-fight-for-sergey-kovalev-191941119.html

It's disturbing and frankly kinda gross how this focuses exclusively on how poor Sergey had trouble coping with killing a dude. I get that it wasn't his fault, but jesus, have a little loving perspective

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Kovalev has always come across as extremely indifferent to the in ring death he caused. I understand there's probably a lot more to it than that and the article is interesting, but I can't help but feel it's sort of designed to improve his image a bit.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kell Brook vs Gennady Golovkin, September, 02 London.

Kell Brook's 0 is probably gonna go...

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Kell Brook vs Gennady Golovkin, September, 02 London.

Holy poo poo

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Surprised Brook can make weight with balls that big tbh.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's September 10.
I'd missed the date before.

Going to be a great fight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
out of every name fighter that could possibly fight golovkin, i'd have put kell near the bottom in terms of likelihood of the fight getting made. this is legitimately shocking to me but it is very, very good poo poo.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Golovkin with the shameless duck of Eubank Jr

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

From how Eddie Hearn, the manager, put it, sounds like the Eubank camp elected to not take the same deal Brook did.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

???

?????
???

Is, uh, is Brook trying to get a Khan fight by also getting KOed by a middleweight?

Is GGG trying to get Canelo's respect by beating welterweights?

What is happening?

E: I don't even know who to be disappointed in

Jump King fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 8, 2016

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I think more of the blame should be on GGG's side, but most of the UK fans won't care because Brook is a big name and he is coming over to them.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah it's a puzzling matchup, hard to tell what Brook is thinking by taking the fight.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"I wonder what it's like to get knocked out" probably.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

gtkor posted:

I think more of the blame should be on GGG's side, but most of the UK fans won't care because Brook is a big name and he is coming over to them.

I guess, like obviously pulling a welterweight isn't great, but like, If the Eubanks screwed the fight (and Hearn says they did) then that sort of leaves GGG in no man's land. Kell Brook deserves respect for bravery, but he already had a unification lined up. I mean, Kell Brook was having a lot of trouble lining up fights before, but not this time.

Kell Brook is a good fighter and all, if he moved up to JMW and fought some people there to figure things out he could do well, but this is sudden.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

If I told you Khan, Brook, Canelo and Golovkin were going to be fighting each other at the beginning of this year you'd be very excited.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

The Ninth Layer posted:

Yeah it's a puzzling matchup, hard to tell what Brook is thinking by taking the fight.

:10bux:

Also whatever fight is there for Brook now (Khan,Vargas, Thurman) will still be there even if he gets koed in 30 seconds.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I am with ya on GGG being in kind of a tough spot. Maybe he wanted more of a name, which clearly Brook provides. At the end of the day though, he trades fighting a bunch of guys who no one really thinks can beat him, to fight a guy who everyone knows that is smaller and no one thinks can beat him.

I didn't realize Brook had been talking the last few months about wanting GGG at 155, so I mean maybe on the Brook side the mindset was always there toward working toward the fight. I do agree there was plenty of work Brook could have had at either 147 (the unification) or 154 before going and taking on the hardest hitter at 160. I feel like the Brook side gets points for the bravery and more "Are you sure about that?" than flack for passing up on other (more sensible) options.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think part of it for Brook is that he's obviously a name here in the UK, it doesn't feel like he's much of anything on a world scale in terms of hype or whatever despite being legit good, but that changes if he somehow beats GGG. If he can take GGG's undefeated record, it makes him a megastar of boxing and if he loses, it's kind of a "well, duh" thing.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Oh yeah, fair play to Brook (Except for scrapping the Vargas fight, not happy about that but it's sort of a separate thing)

Golovkin is in a weird spot, lots of people are saying he should have moved up in weight if he can't get a fight, but I think it's a bit tricky since he really wants to be undisputed champion and Canelo/Saunders are blueballing him hard, forcing him to either wait or leave.

It's not like Super Middleweight is a packed division right now

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Maybe Brook's... trying to reinvigorate the Khan match? It seems like he's copying Khan in a very direct way and even one-upping him in terms of risk. If he loses maybe he can lure Khan back along the lines of both being on even footing?

Personally I would be surprised if we see Amir Khan return to the ring any time soon.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Is ANYONE giving Brook even an outside chance of winning? Like with Khanelo I know there were a lot of people going "what is Khan thinking???" and even the people who thought he would outbox Canelo thought he needed a miracle. I think Brook has even less a chance at cracking GGG than Khan did against Canelo.

Surely the money can't be that great if Eubank Jr. was thumbing up his nose at it.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I have to think that Brook thinks he can win. It's the only thing that makes sense, and that's got to count for something. But no, I don't think he can last 12 rounds without eating something fight-ending. There is also a really good chance he won't be the same afterwards. I have no idea why this is happening.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Brook's from around my neck of the woods, even if he supports Sheff United, I feel obligated to be a blind fan but all I can really see for him is lady luck. GGG is simply better at everything for my money. The best Kell Brook would have to show up against the worst GGG.

I'm joking, mostly, but I wonder if Eubank thought back to what happened with the lad he put in hospital and wanted non of Golovkin's punches.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
brook is mental but fair play

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
So is everyone just gonna duck GGG until he gets too old or retires?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Brook just wants to finally earn some money. Him and Hearn set their hearts on a Khan fight which would do huge numbers in this country but it hasn't happened and maybe won't ever because everyone involved has various levels of inflated egos. Once the Sky media machine get behind it then Brook will do well enough out of it to be worth it. He's not going to be around for much longer anyway I think, it's well known that he doesn't live the life.

• Locked thread