Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

She's got me nervous with this one life thing

E: Phew now there's 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Man I never could even get through the second world...this game is ruthless.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Azazell0 posted:

What is that Notch tweet even about? Him being a giant manbaby?

do you even need to ask

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Notch was upset about the prostitution of honest and innocent twitch streamers.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
what exactly is notch protesting

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Azazell0 posted:

about twitch wanting to put their hands in the pockets of streamers even further. "oh, well we added donation integration into twitch, so we get a cut of whatever donations you get."

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

tfw when you beat Super Mario Land as a 7 year old
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki0LGuZAelw

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Azazell0 posted:

He's mad at Twitch's new (and very stupid, to be fair) Bits mechanic, and thinks he should punish GDQ and MSF because of it. He likes wielding his money like a weapon, I guess.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I hate this waluigi poo poo

funky not a junkie
Aug 5, 2011
thank god this was a short run i dont think i could listen to that waluigi poo poo for much longer

Fiblah
Jul 22, 2007
I like this runner :kiddo:

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Ometeotl posted:

He's mad at Twitch's new (and very stupid, to be fair) Bits mechanic, and thinks he should punish GDQ and MSF because of it. He likes wielding his money like a weapon, I guess.

Bits are fine and it's pitiable that Notch has chosen them as a hill to die on

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
This streamer sucks

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fiblah posted:

I like this runner :kiddo:

Yeah I'm going to go back and watch her other ones from when I was asleep

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Aishlinn posted:

about twitch wanting to put their hands in the pockets of streamers even further. "oh, well we added donation integration into twitch, so we get a cut of whatever donations you get."

Yeah, it's this: https://blog.twitch.tv/cheering-and-bits-follow-up-faq-329e676c4572#.6eztxpbrv

quote:

Q: Does Twitch plan on making Bits/Cheering exclusive?
A: We have no intention or plan to remove or block 3rd party services or tools. We understand how important these services are to a broadcaster’s livelihood and to creating interactions between broadcasters and their communities. Our focus as an organization is making sure that our broadcasters succeed. We believe that Cheering provides a completely new value to the Twitch community, and our goal is to take your feedback and make it a critical component to a broadcaster’s success.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jul 8, 2016

Fiblah
Jul 22, 2007

Ometeotl posted:

He donated to the charity directly instead of donating to them through GDQ/Twitch

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
That was a cool run, good runner

Also, SMB3 next :dance: 10+ years ago I saw a video of someone speedrunning that game, which basically introduced me to the whole concept. To this day I still think it's one of the most impressive looking speedruns.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Dr. Hurt posted:

I forgot how brutal this game gets at world 4.

Rirse posted:

Man I never could even get through the second world...this game is ruthless.

Are we really talking about Super Mario Land here, I remember that game being one of the easiest platformers I've ever played.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Reason posted:

what exactly is notch protesting

Twitch recently introduced a system where viewers can tip streamers with "bits" that are bought for real money and that streamers can exchange for real money. It costs pretty much the same amount in overhead as paypal, which is how most streamers receive tips already, it's just that the overhead is now going to Twitch instead of Paypal, which some people don't like because Twitch has some kind of lovely business practices.

But it's not like Paypal is a paragon of good business practices either so

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kanfy posted:

Are we really talking about Super Mario Land here, I remember that game being one of the easiest platformers I've ever played.

You're probably remembering wrong, the game is pretty hard. Mario handles unlike anything you've seen in a platformer before, or like they said in the run "the physics are wonky".

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Dunban posted:

That was a cool run, good runner

Also, SMB3 next :dance: 10+ years ago I saw a video of someone speedrunning that game, which basically introduced me to the whole concept. To this day I still think it's one of the most impressive looking speedruns.

But this is 100%, right? It's not the kind of SMB3 run that is like 10 minutes long.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I'm watching the Sonic 2006 and I'm genuinely impressed by how this guy is able to get through this busted-rear end game so quickly

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

ArbitraryC posted:

They don't really seem to get that the issue was it was a ton of time to watch something very technical but not fast or exciting. Even if they cut the showcase the ninja tracks were obviously hard but just not that interesting to anyone who didn't play the game already.

Super Mario Maker is essentially just a let's play, but making a 3 man, two way relay race like they are tonight turns it into more of a hilarious speed run.

That's why I think a race was the way to go and it's a shame they couldn't get it. And yeah obviously 1 hour 30 minutes is way too long, I think 45 minutes of race and 15 minutes of showcase at the end (Not the beginning) was the way to go but... oh well. Trials is a pretty fun game and I recommend checking it out (on sale, avoid all the dlc) is really worth it, so I'm kinda sad that it got mishandled and everyone hates it.

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Your Computer posted:

You're probably remembering wrong, the game is pretty hard. Mario handles unlike anything you've seen in a platformer before, or like they said in the run "the physics are wonky".

i remember playing the game a ton as a kid, some days i'd beat it a few times in a day, but those controls man.. its not unusual for the game to devour imputs... run run run jump....oh wait, you didnt jump and flung yourself in a pit.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I'm watching the Sonic 2006 and I'm genuinely impressed by how this guy is able to get through this busted-rear end game so quickly

It's a great run. Best bit is at the end, though. You'll know when you see it.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Your Computer posted:

You're probably remembering wrong, the game is pretty hard.

Super Mario Land 1? No way.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

protomagicalgirl is one of the breakout stars of this sgdq imho

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
What does Notch protesting bits even mean? I feel so loving old.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Majuju posted:

Bits are fine and it's pitiable that Notch has chosen them as a hill to die on

twitch taking a cut of money that runners get is pretty stupid, especially so that the runners got that money for themselves already and twitch is instead shouting at viewers and going "No, don't donate, give us money instead!"

io_burn posted:

if someone liked a stream on twitch, they would donate via paypal or other means to the runner to show their appreciation and help them keep streaming. Twitch announced a new thing called "bits" where you could donate via twitch, using twitch chat, only now Twitch gets a cut of that money. it's worse for the streamer in every way except maybe ease of use for the viewer, but twitch can push it and bully the streamers if they want their money.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Why am I laughing so hard at this dumb poo poo

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Minrad posted:

twitch taking a cut of money that runners get is pretty stupid, especially so that the runners got that money for themselves already and twitch is instead shouting at viewers and going "No, don't donate, give us money instead!"

From what I understand, Twitch is currently making about as much money on the transaction as Paypal does when people donate that way so :shrug:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Super Mario Land was certainly hard when I was 7. Felt like a champion when I finally beat it. That ending song is ingrained in my memory.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

io_burn posted:

I think he's angry at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj4-E5Hs3Kc

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Minrad posted:

if someone liked a stream on twitch, they would donate via paypal or other means to the runner to show their appreciation and help them keep streaming. Twitch announced a new thing called "bits" where you could donate via twitch, using twitch chat, only now Twitch gets a cut of that money.

But the quote from earlier would suggest they would still allow the use of PayPal. I would understand if Twitch suddenly banned all other donations than its own system (which it gets a cut from) which would be a drat lovely move.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Notch loves to troll on twitter, I wouldn't take everything he posts seriously. He's probably gonna donate a ton this year again, as he does every year.

I guess that's what happens when you become a billionaire nerd with nothing to do.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

DizzyBum posted:

Super Mario Land was certainly hard when I was 7. Felt like a champion when I finally beat it. That ending song is ingrained in my memory.

:same:

I mean, the game isn't that hard since I could beat it as a kid. But as far as platformers and Mario games go it's pretty hard.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

shame about mitch flower power being homophobic or whatever

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

twitch getting a cut of the money seems just as reasonable to me as paypal getting a cut of the money

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
oh cool, it's 100%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Minrad posted:

Super Mario Maker is essentially just a let's play, but making a 3 man, two way relay race like they are tonight turns it into more of a hilarious speed run.

That's why I think a race was the way to go and it's a shame they couldn't get it. And yeah obviously 1 hour 30 minutes is way too long, I think 45 minutes of race and 15 minutes of showcase at the end (Not the beginning) was the way to go but... oh well. Trials is a pretty fun game and I recommend checking it out (on sale, avoid all the dlc) is really worth it, so I'm kinda sad that it got mishandled and everyone hates it.
Yeah I could see it being a race and having an actually interactive couch could have given it a much better look but you're never really going to change how slow paced the dude painfully crawling around on one wheel and positioning himself just so he can flip down onto a platform below or w/e it's just not interesting to someone who doesn't play the game. Anyone can understand a platformer and people making hard jumps fast, no one without experience playing the game is going to understand how he controls the bike physics to balance correctly or care and visually it just looks slow.

The levels demoed were just bad for a speedrunning exhibition

• Locked thread