Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Jabor posted:

I mean, your thoughts would absolutely make a ton of sense if you were looking for a good programmer and were willing to pay for it. But if you're looking to pay super-low rates you're practically already cutting down the applicant pool to just people who are super into your company already, and people who are really bad that you don't really want to hire.

I never got the impression that they were as concerned about not hiring bad coders as they were concerned about hiring someone experienced enough to do what they need with minimal investment (training, co-workers to help)

i think wotcs ideal modo programmer is somebody who is too stupid to know their worth or advocate for reasonable working conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The weirdest thing I noticed is that there's only 3 nonbasic lands in this set, and two of them are rare.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Really diggin graf harvest...

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Bugsy posted:

Love the art on Field Creeper.

It looks like it just crawled out the other side of its hole in Amigura Fault.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Wombo Combo time:

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Zemyla posted:

Wombo Combo time:

This is peak EDH right here.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Zemyla posted:

Wombo Combo time:

Just play Starfield and skip on the Assault Suit.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Would it really have been busted w/o the Emerge clause (as opposed to generic saccing)?

Ends up a giant wall of text

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
0 cost pump when you have the enchantment out.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Would it really have been busted w/o the Emerge clause (as opposed to generic saccing)?

Ends up a giant wall of text

Yeah that is a piece of design I do not like, it feels overly parasitic for no real reason.

Also I assume that Emrakul is the progenitor of the aliens from the Alien franchise now

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The only thing I can think of is that it was worded that way because otherwise new players might think you could just sac it without any outlet.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I imagine it was to make the 'put this in your Emerge limited deck' link more clear to new players.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

None of the Escalate cards are exciting. Much like the mechanic itself.

Uziduke posted:

0 cost pump when you have the enchantment out.

Lots of functional reprints in this set

and more

They make sense for flavor/tribal reasons, but still

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

But still what?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
They're really terrified of actually making equipment good, it's a little sad at this point

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

This one's notably worse than Ember-Eye Wolf.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

whydirt posted:

But still what?

It's strange to my sensibilities.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Bugsy posted:

Love the art on Field Creeper.

That's some fantastic art and some atrocious flavor text.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TheMaestroso posted:

This one's notably worse than Ember-Eye Wolf.

It's noted BFZ powerhouse Lavastep Raider

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

I disagree with this, I think a lot of the escalate guys are pretty interesting

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I imagine it was to make the 'put this in your Emerge limited deck' link more clear to new players.

It's not going to work. New players aren't going to draft Emerge cards because "why would I wan't to sacrifice a creature?" or just "tl;dr".

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Elyv posted:

I disagree with this, I think a lot of the escalate guys are pretty interesting

Do you mean emerge? Or why use "guys" for a spell only mechanic?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

TheKingofSprings posted:

They're really terrified of actually making equipment good, it's a little sad at this point

To be fair, the last few times they've printed good equipment, they've wrecked Standard and older formats.

That said, it is disappointing that they can't find some middle ground between multiformat powerhouses and limited chaff.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

E: ^^^Bonesplitter, the weaker swords, Adventuring Gear. Hell, even Runechanter's Pike had its day in the sun, but I think that was the last equipment printed to see play in Standard. ^^^

Rinkles posted:

Do you mean emerge? Or why use "guys" for a spell only mechanic?

Because I meant Emerge, yeah :downs:
Escalate is fine, though, imo, and the Escalate burn spell is quite good. I'm surprised there aren't any Search for Tomorrow or Grab the Reins type cards that can be more than the sum is their parts.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 8, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

To be fair, the last few times they've printed good equipment, they've wrecked Standard and older formats.

That said, it is disappointing that they can't find some middle ground between multiformat powerhouses and limited chaff.

I mean at this point there's like two pieces of non-Cranial Plating equipment that see play and most of that is on the back of Stoneforge Mystic (for one, the other's mostly relegated to sideboard when SFM isn't an option)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So I guess these are the common Emerge enablers:

Sigiled Starfish is back! Sort of. I want to draft so many of these.

I thought this was the worst Tragic Slip ever until I saw it targets two creatures. Still probably not great, since at 5CMC it will be hard to Madness something off this.

Dumbest/Best card name in the set:

Yayy cool reprint:

This thing seems really good for limited. And it's a cool design for green removal spells:

I was wondering when they'd do a card like this. Too bad it only works on werewolves. I guess it might be busted for limited if you could instantly transform some of the rare non-werewolf DFCs. And I guess there'd be the question of wtf happens if you target a Meld card with it.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 8, 2016

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

My kind of green card. Apparently this effect was done once before in Mirrodin Besieged (discounting Veteran Explorer).

Entropic posted:

I was wondering when they'd do a card like this. Too bad it only works on werewolves. I guess it might be busted for limited if you could instantly transform some of the rare non-werewolf DFCs. And I guess there'd be the question of wtf happens if you target a Meld card with it.

An out of nowhere transformation of some of the meatier Eldrazi werewolves is going to be brutal

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

This is a weird design for a pacifism. Crafty way to sneak another delirium enabler into the file I guess.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Rinkles posted:

I don't see a disagreement here.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TheMaestroso posted:

I don't see a disagreement here.

None was implied.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Entropic posted:

This is a weird design for a pacifism.

The 'sacrifice' rider seems mostly redundant. Stifle effects are like the only case where it would make a difference, right?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I didn't realize until now that the one reprint I was really hoping for was Galvanic Juggernaut. That thing was fun as hell and would have worked great with Emerge and Delirium.

Rinkles posted:

Kicker variant mechanics are always boring but play well. They're never gonna be the marquee mechanic of the set but they always end up producing some playable cards that have nice flexibility.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 8, 2016

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

JerryLee posted:

The 'sacrifice' rider seems mostly redundant. Stifle effects are like the only case where it would make a difference, right?

Well, this is the first standard set to contain a general stifle effect since Time Spiral block.

The fact that the aura goes away on activation rather than on resolution will affect some interactions. For example, if the creature has a Flickerform on it too, you can respond to Choking Restraints with Flickerform, which will save the creature and free it from Choking Restraints; without the sacrifice clause, it would still have Choking Restraints. The places where it's relevant mostly seem like edge cases though.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I just guessed it was to make it obvious to newer players that Choking Restraints itself doesn't get exiled.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Rinkles posted:

If it had been an Ally it would have been significantly more playable. The new one is a Vampire, so it might actually be playable (jk, there is like no reward for playing Vampires in this set).

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
All the equipment is terrible as usual.

I was going to say this seemed really pushed for a card with no color requirements and then I re-read it and saw it said "more" not "less". :eng99:

Strictly better Fortify.

Strictly worse Revoke Existence.

They sure do love their functional reprints with different names for flavour.
I wonder if this means Sigarda takes over for Avacyn as head angel on Innistrad, assuming enough of the plane has survived that we ever go back.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Yeah this set feels much more generic in terms of archetypes than SOI. There's less tribal support and less madness except maybe in red. There's a bigger concentration of delirium, but the payoffs aren't any bigger than Kindly Stranger. Emerge is basically the only thing that really stands out as being mechanically different and that's replacing the cool and interested investigate deck.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
UB Flicker Rats in Pauper was designed to be The Best Flicker Deck before Peregrine Drake made everything insane, and I'm really excited to try that out with eight Flickers.

Also Terrarion's new art is sweet. Also Fogwalker is a card I've been wanting for Pauper - a two drop blue creature that has some effect that's better than Scry 2 to hold the ground early. Shame it doesn't do anything turn 2 on the play.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
All I see is a bunch of sorceries for effects we are use to being instant for standard and some very interesting, possible broken cards for modern that nobody is for sure of yet.

I am a little fearful of this set to be a lot of the same archtypes with almost the same 75s we have seen in the previous set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I'm pretty sure that non-human tribal decks will be at least tier 2 viable now that they all have two full sets of support. They will probably still be worse than humans simply because there are just way more humans available in the card pool.

• Locked thread