Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

What colour? The white and grey really needs leaving a good 12 hrs then its bulletproof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Skarsnik posted:

What colour? The white and grey really needs leaving a good 12 hrs then its bulletproof

The white and grey are the ones that I usually have problems with - my black primer generally seems to be fine. I usually let it sit 24 hours though.

Maybe the bottles are going bad? I don't remember having problems with them when I first got them, only in the last few weeks. I've only had the bottles for 3-4 months though.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Yeast posted:

On the recommendation of this thread I bought some Vallejo metal Air

Review: :aaa:

I mean holy poo poo this is good. I've previously been using citadel air metallics, and they're fine, but this is just blow away better in comparison. Smoother, less granularity, faster to dry, and true actual metallic.

Strongly considering buying the whole set now.

:getin: Another convert. They give an amazing finish without the hassle of being alcohol based.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Southern Heel posted:

How would you suggest? A glaze? Mixing a midtone with some medium and painting a line between the highlight and lower level? I'm a bit upset on reflection that the red looks so flat, there's three layers of highlights on that too!

I touch all mine up with the base color. So my guys are Macragge Blue, highlighted with Guilliman Blue, and then I use Macragge Blue again to clean them up, pretty simple.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

imperialparadox posted:

The white and grey are the ones that I usually have problems with - my black primer generally seems to be fine. I usually let it sit 24 hours though.

Maybe the bottles are going bad? I don't remember having problems with them when I first got them, only in the last few weeks. I've only had the bottles for 3-4 months though.

You're probably not shaking them enough then, try sticking a bead or bit of resin in the bottle

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Are those Vallejo air metallic paints any good to use with a paintbrush? I like the Liquid Gold line, but I'd like to have more options for silver than just silver.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Skarsnik posted:

You're probably not shaking them enough then, try sticking a bead or bit of resin in the bottle

Where's a good place to get beads small enough for standard dropper bottles?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Star Man posted:

Are those Vallejo air metallic paints any good to use with a paintbrush? I like the Liquid Gold line, but I'd like to have more options for silver than just silver.

That's how I've used all of mine. I've been paranoid and washed my brush immediately once I'm done with them, because they are seriously pigment-dense, but otherwise they've been just like really nice versions of regular Vallejo for me. I am also probably being over-cautious, for what it's worth.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Cat Face Joe posted:

Where's a good place to get beads small enough for standard dropper bottles?

I'll let others answer that as I've always used bits of resin, also Cardiff has multiple bead shops

Whole shops full of bloody beads :psyduck:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

grassy gnoll posted:

That's how I've used all of mine. I've been paranoid and washed my brush immediately once I'm done with them, because they are seriously pigment-dense, but otherwise they've been just like really nice versions of regular Vallejo for me. I am also probably being over-cautious, for what it's worth.

That's good. I'll have to get a few of them when I get paid next week. I don't have the space or ventilation for airbrushing and probably won't for years to come.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
From the 40k thread, my Kroot pack finished up today, plus a hound.

My entire little force so far :3:

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
I was planning on starting up some Mordheim this year but the return of Bloodbowl put me off of that for now. I found a copy of the third edition on ebay for cheap and have almost finished painting the human team, all that's left is the varnishing and the base.

Firstly - I was planning on ordering some Vallejo Matt and Gloss varnish since I don't trust spray cans. I assume I just brush it on straight out of the bottle, right? Does it need to be shaken like the paints do?

Secondly - any suggestions on the base? I'm painting to a tabletop standard (or as close as I can get) so i'm not looking to go very detailed. I was looking into galeforce 9 static grass or maybe the summer grass flock. Ideally i'd like to base all of my blood bowl teams so they look like the human team here

but i'm not sure how to do that.

Thanks.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

MrFlibble posted:

Firstly - I was planning on ordering some Vallejo Matt and Gloss varnish since I don't trust spray cans. I assume I just brush it on straight out of the bottle, right? Does it need to be shaken like the paints do?

Secondly - any suggestions on the base? I'm painting to a tabletop standard (or as close as I can get) so i'm not looking to go very detailed. I was looking into galeforce 9 static grass or maybe the summer grass flock. Ideally i'd like to base all of my blood bowl teams so they look like the human team here but i'm not sure how to do that.

Thanks.
Shake the varnish, then thin it a bit with water. You want a thin layer even if it's basically a clear paint, and the water will help it go on smoothly and evenly.

For the bases, I'd glue sand on the bases, paint it brown and then highlight it a few times. Then you just cover as much of it as you like in PVA glue and add static grass. Finally, pin the figures to the bases.
If you're planning to cover the bases completely with grass, you can just paint the base brown, then add grass to skip a few steps.

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

My entire little force so far :3:

Thoughts on the wargameexclusive Cmdr Shadowcleavage there? The figs look okay, and I'm thinking of placing an order if/when they start selling those brilliant hover bike drones.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Electric Hobo posted:

Shake the varnish, then thin it a bit with water. You want a thin layer even if it's basically a clear paint, and the water will help it go on smoothly and evenly.

For the bases, I'd glue sand on the bases, paint it brown and then highlight it a few times. Then you just cover as much of it as you like in PVA glue and add static grass. Finally, pin the figures to the bases.
If you're planning to cover the bases completely with grass, you can just paint the base brown, then add grass to skip a few steps.

Thanks for the tips. I'll probably cover the whole base in grass, I like the professional field look.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Nichol posted:

Thoughts on the wargameexclusive Cmdr Shadowcleavage there? The figs look okay, and I'm thinking of placing an order if/when they start selling those brilliant hover bike drones.

Really really nice quality, very clean and crisp casts with almost no clean up required. I've got Big Shas as well and was super impressed with both of them. 10/10 will buy again (also looking forward to those awesome drone-bikes).

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I picked up some Orks for a side project, and I was hoping to get a quick opinion poll going: is it better to use a black, brown, or green ink on Ork flesh? They'll be Deathskulls if that helps.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

PantsOptional posted:

I picked up some Orks for a side project, and I was hoping to get a quick opinion poll going: is it better to use a black, brown, or green ink on Ork flesh? They'll be Deathskulls if that helps.

GW Athonian Camoshade IMO, it's sort of a brownish-green rather than some of the brighter greens.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Don't use black unless you're doing blacklining or small targeted washes on the eye sockets or mouth to add more depth.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I used to use badab black over knarloc green for my orks and they were pretty ok imo. Try some test models and see what works best for you.

Edit found examples in another post

Fyrbrand fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jul 9, 2016

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

GW Athonian Camoshade IMO, it's sort of a brownish-green rather than some of the brighter greens.

gently caress me, I had no idea this existed. Will definitely give it a shot.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

PantsOptional posted:

gently caress me, I had no idea this existed. Will definitely give it a shot.

I like it a lot, I find it really versatile much like Agrax Earthshade. It's been my go-to for all my jungle Tau/Kroot.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Fyrbrand posted:

I used to use badab black over knarloc green for my orks and they were pretty ok imo. Try some test models and see what works best for you.

I think you mean MY orks. ;)

On the subject of shades: I tried doing my shading/washing with the airbrush and I LOVE it. The results came out very clean, with no messy pooling. The air forces the shade into the crevices. I dabbed the model (moderately aggressively) with a paper towel as I went. Only downside is that burns through the wash fairly quickly. I think the results were worth it. This technique was used on that Stormcast Eternal I posted last page.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Southern Heel posted:

Perry Miniatures figures, Vallejo colour paint set, Daylight lamp, W&N brush set - all delivered via Amazon Prime to my office today. I've came home early and didn't bring them. :negative:

Hey - can I ask what daylight lamp you bought? I need to get one for my painting and my Wife's knitting! Cheers

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

PantsOptional posted:

Try blue ink/wash over a yellow base. Depending on the yellow you use you can get beautifully shaded greens ranging from olive to emerald to deep forest.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Way I saw it done was two layers of green wash and one brown on yellow base for a fairly impressive Ork skin. Bonus points if you're also going for yellow armor - you can just not wash green on the armor and the brown wash will shade it.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Drake_263 posted:

Way I saw it done was two layers of green wash and one brown on yellow base for a fairly impressive Ork skin. Bonus points if you're also going for yellow armor - you can just not wash green on the armor and the brown wash will shade it.

This sounds really fun for some reason. It makes me want to dig up a D&D orc or something similar.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

GoodBee posted:

This sounds really fun for some reason. It makes me want to dig up a D&D orc or something similar.

I can't find the tutorial but if I was to start an Ork army, that's how I'd do it - prime yellow (the brighter the better), wash the skin/flesh one or two times with a green wash, pick out the metal and detail colors, wash the whole mini with brown, clean up/highlight a bit. They're orks, the more simple you get the better since there'll be a metric fuckton of them.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Drake_263 posted:

I can't find the tutorial but if I was to start an Ork army, that's how I'd do it - prime yellow (the brighter the better), wash the skin/flesh one or two times with a green wash, pick out the metal and detail colors, wash the whole mini with brown, clean up/highlight a bit. They're orks, the more simple you get the better since there'll be a metric fuckton of them.

That's pretty much how Cataphract paints her Orks, it works pretty well. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3636853&userid=63555#post430156558

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Those may or may not actually be the exact Orks I was thinking about!

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
To add to airbrush chat: I have the Iwata Neo (two of them). Absolutely great airbrush for much less than the entry level ones for other ranges. No idea what would improve paying for a more expensive brush unless you were getting a brush with different features. As a double action, gravity fed internal mix its perfect.

Ive been using mine for about four years now and apart from replacing the nozzle and needle a couple of times they still function perfectly. I only had to replace parts that I had handled badly and would've had to replace on any model of airbrush. I kept doing stupid things, mostly out of laziness, and kept bending needles and scratching nozzles up, leaving paint to dry in it and scratching it out etc. Now I know what Im doing with handling and maintenance and it works as well as I can imagine any airbrush working.

I decided to pick up the vallejo airbrush cleaner and vallejo thinner and they are both working magic. The airbrush cleaner is fantastic - letting my pull off paint with a soft toothpick that I was previously having to scratch away at using stiff bristles before. Both quality of life things you can definitely replicate with some trial and error with more household materials but Im much happier with their performance for the cost.

Im painting an Imperial Knight at the moment and didnt oath it because I doubted Id get it done within a month. A couple of hours painting with a squeaky clean airbrush set up and Ive nearly finished it!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

12 hours to paint and assemble 10 dwarf berserkers. and I've not even got around to their skin :(

Amphigory posted:

Hey - can I ask what daylight lamp you bought? I need to get one for my painting and my Wife's knitting! Cheers

Just a cheap generic table lamp with a magnifier from Amazon.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

K, so far so good this badger patriot is the tits. Just starting to basecoat some 3d prints and it's nuts!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Today, I learned that I should not use gloss varnish on tanks.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Star Man posted:

Today, I learned that I should not use gloss varnish on tanks.

:ohdear:

May I recommend https://www.amazon.com/Testors-Aerosol-Enamel-3oz-Dullcote-Lacquer/dp/B009FF6DN4

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

As long as the final varnish is matt you can use all the gloss you want

I used a poo poo load on the last one I did as I was handling the thing so much

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
It's also used when you're using oil paints for weathering!

But I suspect Star Man was referring to a final coat.

And yeah. Blergh.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm just going over bad spots on the varnish with paint and I'm going to go over it again with matte. I need to pay Guiry's a visit when I get paid and get a Liquitex spray can of gloss and matte varnish. I just wish I had somewhere outside that I could spray.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Aren't you supposed to use one coat of gloss anyway, since gloss varnish is the best protection for a model?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Weird question: will I die (or will any other bad things happen) if I use a heat gun on a resin part I've superglued? Hair dryers and boiling water don't seem to be sufficient, and I ended up making a hairline fracture in the part that I superglued back together. I don't think I need to heat that exact area, but I will be heating around it.