Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

I wanted Pavs so whatever burns is up

HABIBI You're up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I'm at work but ready when my pick comes. I know it's soon.

It's your turn now.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Ah excellent. I'm not going to make the same mistake I've made in prior years and not take a number one center.

With their second round pick, the Winnipeg Jets are proud to select Patrice Bergeron. Bergeron is still just 30 and is coming off a 282-shot, 32-goal season while continuing to be the premier defensive center in the NHL. He dominates on draws and plays in all situations.

Doughty and Bergeron are two guys I am really happy to have, especially for the price and considering I am building a team rooted in possession and to win now.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Ah excellent. I'm not going to make the same mistake I've made in prior years and not take a number one center.

With their second round pick, the Winnipeg Jets are proud to select Patrice Bergeron. Bergeron is still just 30 and is coming off a 282-shot, 32-goal season while continuing to be the premier defensive center in the NHL. He dominates on draws and plays in all situations.

Doughty and Bergeron are two guys I am really happy to have, especially for the price and considering I am building a team rooted in possession and to win now.

I knew he wouldnt drop back to me but I was starting to get my hopes up with each pick. An extremely good pick.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

gently caress! I was hoping he would fall

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
people are really going young this year eh?

I kind of hate Toews and Giroux but they would be good soldier boy Devils

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

T-Bone posted:

people are really going young this year eh?

I kind of hate Toews and Giroux but they would be good soldier boy Devils

it's the same every year, ya'll like those young boys

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

After some dubious (re-re-re-)consideration, I am going to take Justin Faulk because he is a good young #1D on a sweet contract, probably still the Canes' best player, and most importantly, someone I have not picked before. If the Canes' management really is getting their poo poo together, he might have some decent forwards to play with next season but will almost certainly still be let down by godawful goaltending.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
LOL justin faulk

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Paulocaust posted:

LOL justin faulk

Is really loving good

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Paulocaust posted:

LOL justin faulk

You're dumb, Faulk is young, on a great contract, and absolutely loving awesome

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

faulk is prob better than klingberg but i took faulk two years ago (in like the fifth round)

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Minnesota Wild select Mark Giordano. 6th in the NHL in points for a defenseman last season. He's had a couple of really strong seasons with great possession numbers.
Solid Possession Numbers

lazerwolf fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 8, 2016

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

At this point I think the Nashville Predators would be stupid not to select Kris Letang. He takes some dumb penalties but he was second in points per game amongst defensemen and is an elite playmaker.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Letang is a great pick. The only issue I have with him is his health, but that's a knock against a lot of guys. He's a fitness freak all the same so if he stays lucky with injuries it's not impossible for him to be playing well into his 30s (and I surely hope he does) but his style is also the sort that another concussion or a blown knee could turn him into a pumpkin.

He lives and dies by his skating.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Yeah his concussion history is a little daunting but he's been relatively healthy the past two seasons and over the past three years he's still top ten in points amongst defensemen.

Please don't die.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Letang is better than the vast majority of the defensemen taken ahead of him so far so yeah that's a great pick. I think Karlsson is the only d taken ahead of him that is indisputably better. There are others that are pretty much on his level (Subban, Hedman)

Definitely a great pick.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Ginette can pick now I think.

Metapod/Ginette up.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
On phone but I take Max Pacioretty

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Well I'm pretty sure it's been two hours so I'm going to go ahead and pick Evgeny Kuznetsov because he's young and super good. He had a bad playoffs but I have no doubt he's a consistent 70 point player moving forward and him and Malkin could make all the weird faces to each other.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

fbs is up, stab after him

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Well I'm pretty sure it's been two hours so I'm going to go ahead and pick Evgeny Kuznetsov because he's young and super good. He had a bad playoffs but I have no doubt he's a consistent 70 point player moving forward and him and Malkin could make all the weird faces to each other.

You just guaranteed Don Cherry will never support your team in two easy picks.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

:siren: HOMER PICK ALERT :siren:

With the 41st pick the Chicago Blackhawks select Mark Scheifele.

His goal scoring may take a step back (his shot % in the second half last year was nuts), but he established himself as a legit 1C and I'm confident he's going to sign a long, fair value contract this summer.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

FBS posted:

:siren: HOMER PICK ALERT :siren:

With the 41st pick the Chicago Blackhawks select Mark Scheifele.

His goal scoring may take a step back (his shot % in the second half last year was nuts), but he established himself as a legit 1C and I'm confident he's going to sign a long, fair value contract this summer.

Noooooo you suck. Scheifele is so drat underrated.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Kuznetsov is cool and good

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I almost took Kuznetsov and another guy I'm sorta surprised hasn't been taken yet, but really my greatest temptation was going Burns/Letang for the 60 minutes of two dumb rovers who are actually incredible at hockey strat.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
This might be a bit of a reach but I'm not spending the year with 40 year olds as my 1d.

So yes, reaching for a dman this year. I can't spell his name at all and I'm not going to try. He's young and on a good contract. Con: He's a Flyer.

I draft Shayne :ghost: :tbear:

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

stab posted:

This might be a bit of a reach but I'm not spending the year with 40 year olds as my 1d.

So yes, reaching for a dman this year. I can't spell his name at all and I'm not going to try. He's young and on a good contract. Con: He's a Flyer.

I draft Shayne :ghost: :tbear:

Wow... this one feels early.
He's small and his suppression statistics are really, really bad but he was nowhere on my list so I'm personally glad you picked him.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

gostestbehair is how it's spelled

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Furnaceface posted:

Noooooo you suck. Scheifele is so drat underrated.

I was going to take him with my next pick, poo poo.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

You just guaranteed Don Cherry will never support your team in two easy picks.

I think that means I'm on the right track

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Hurry up and pick Paulocast, I have a train to catch in an hour
e: Tofes, messaged you my list. Sorry but I gotta run

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 8, 2016

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

FBS posted:

I'm confident he's going to sign a long, fair value contract this summer.

I think 8 x $6.125 is pretty long and fair :gizz:

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

the recapitator can pick now too, it's been 3 hours since a pick, unfortunately for thinktank he sent a list to someone who also isn't apparently around

I'm home for the rest of the day and will be checking in at least once an hour, send me your lists any and all people so we keep this thing moving

e: oh whoops I guess thinktank's window is 1 hour still, but my offer still stands for lists for the rest of today

Iodised QQ fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 8, 2016

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Okay I take Cory schneider.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Schneider is the only goalie I would consider taking this high in the draft. Great contract, great durability, and crazy good consistency. Obviously when Price is healthy he's in the mix this early as well. Price/Schneider are the only goalies I would defensibly take in the first three rounds.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.
Choosing.... wisely.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.
With its second pick, the Ottawa "the city that fun forgot" Senators will select Artemi Panarin. I double checked the list, because I can't believe he's still available. I was sort of hoping he'd be picked so I could select an important C or D player... but I just can't bring myself to do so while he's sitting there, waiting to be picked up.

I think the pick is self-explanatory. 0.963 points per game, 30 goals and 47 assists. 24 years old, and semi-hilariously, the Calder Memorial Trophy winner for 2016.

The only worrisome part is I have no clue how much he'll be paid. Probably a poo poo ton.

->Otis Reddit

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

lol what a poo poo pick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Yeah that's way too early on him considering he played with Kane all year. I think he's a very good complementary player but when we are talking second round, he is not a guy to build your team around. There are players his age who I would much rather have right now.

• Locked thread