Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

"I am quite troubled by this trend" *opens fire randomly*

Aliquid posted:

What happened to four suspects shooting from four separate angles? That's what I went to sleep believing at like 2am.

They're still investigating, but at this point it seems like those were just rumors. The gunshots echoing through the streets could have started them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Aliquid posted:

What happened to four suspects shooting from four separate angles? That's what I went to sleep believing at like 2am.

Early news is, 100% of the time, unreliable.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Aliquid posted:

They retreated behind a grassy knoll

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I know the statistics are important and sometimes 95% of the story, but they go out the window when police officers are killed in this land.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

:ohdear: I hope the highway survived.

Aliquid posted:

At no point was their official confirmation of 4 shooters, remember that reporting during ongoing events is very very bad.

The police did officially say 2 snipers at one point, but whether that was accurate remains to be seen.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Civilian oversight boards, Increased funding for training, more police, return of beat/community based policing, better response time for backup so officers can non lethally handle dudes with knives/bats/rakes.

Yeah this and other steps imposed by the DOJ on cities has proven to lessen the number of unarmed black deaths. Its a crime that not every jurisidcition is not implementing as we speak.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bullfrog posted:

"I am quite troubled by this trend" *opens fire randomly*

I'm troubled by the trend of vague take aways about how feelings towards blacks, police and BLM and how it caused people to shoot up stuff without saying why they were troubled. Racist white people get just as mad about black people getting killed, but just on the police's side.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I had no idea that police started using armed ground-based drones. I knew about their robots for years, but never knew they carried payload. At least they aren't contemplating bombing from the air any longer.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

http://www.vox.com/2016/7/8/12130314/dallas-shooting-paul-ryan-protesters-police-thoughts-prayers-justice

Oh Paul Ryan...

It's fun that the new Republican talking point is no longer "thoughts and prayers" but now "well, i guess they have a point."

The House Democrats are supposed to resume their sit-in on Monday, right? I guess now we'll get a gun control vote, right? Right?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This is worth a read: https://www.justice.gov/archive/crs/pubs/pdexcess.htm

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

ReidRansom posted:

In any case, here's your guy.

Now let's see what photos end up being used by the media.

Preferably none. The sooner everyone forgets about the murderer and concentrates on the victims, the less chance there is for some other psycho to mimic the murders.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nenonen posted:

Preferably none. The sooner everyone forgets about the murderer and concentrates on the victims, the less chance there is for some other psycho to mimic the murders.

Their photos and personal information are going to be plastered all over the place. It will only create more psychos to pretend they identify with these killers.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Trabisnikof posted:

By what metric?

NPR is no perfect media institution but I can't think of a national news organization doing daily news I would call clearly superior.

Sure there are specific institutions that do better work (e.g. pro publica) but I honestly can't think of any that do the daily beat.

personally i like AJE for international news and thinkprogress for domestic, they don't hide their thoughts/biases, but they always have a poo poo ton of sources and studies

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

exploding mummy posted:

I'm not sure if anyone said what happened to the other 3.

One was a woman in the parking garage where Micah holed up, the other 2 were involved in the car chase of 2 people who threw a bag into a trunk and then took off from downtown.

No part of that is confirmed by any agency. There were reports of a woman being arrested, and reports of 2 people speeding off from downtown, but we literally don't know:

1. If any part of that is true whatsoever
2. If those people were actually being questioned because of this incident or because of unrelated things
3. If those people actually had anything to do with it at all

Literally what we know:

1. Police were initially looking for two snipers
2. They holed one guy up in a parking deck, tried to negotiate with him
3. They blew him up with a robot
4. They were looking for an unrelated man who was protesting with a gun
5. That guy already turned himself in and then was released
6. Police are discussing looking for collaborators - note that this may or may not mean another gunman

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Nonsense posted:

I had no idea that police started using armed ground-based drones. I knew about their robots for years, but never knew they carried payload. At least they aren't contemplating bombing from the air any longer.

I'm assuming it was just their standard bomb difussal robot they had a detonation charge

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Meat Recital posted:

The House Democrats are supposed to resume their sit-in on Monday, right? I guess now we'll get a gun control vote, right? Right?

I'd rather they do something productive, honestly.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

theflyingorc posted:

The shooter was angry at Black Lives Matter?

Oddly enough, the bit where the system has totally failed U.S. veterans at every single turn (including, oh, mental health?) may be relevant in some small way? It's basically a whole, new, hosed-up example of intersectionality.

ps: Oakland police paint image posted a ways back - they aren't exactly the most trusted police force in America right now, what with the racist texting, multiple fired police chiefs, and the thing where a whole herd of officers have been loving an underage prostitute over at least the past year.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
As a person who thinks that vets are a huge threat to their communities with their massive amounts of PTSD and violent tendencies, I sincerely hope that the uniformed pictures are used.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Speeding away from the scene of an active shooter is definitely suspicious activity!

Dirt
May 26, 2003

zoux posted:

Here's an interesting proposal I hadn't considered before. No idea how tenable it is, but at first blush it seems good.

The whole point of lovely infractions like this is to pull people over, run their name for warrants, and possibly search their car/them for drugs. The cops do not give a poo poo about the tail light. It's about sticking people in jail as much as possible, not a traffic safety issue.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

LeJackal posted:

I'd rather they do something productive, honestly.

No the best response is definitely to continue to throw a tantrum because the government can't indefinitely suspend (more) of your rights if it arbitrarily puts you on a secret 'naughty' list

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

No part of that is confirmed by any agency. There were reports of a woman being arrested, and reports of 2 people speeding off from downtown, but we literally don't know:

2. If those people were actually being questioned because of this incident or because of unrelated things

Literally what we know:

6. Police are discussing looking for collaborators - note that this may or may not mean another gunman

Yeah, let's see how we scored with the coverage last night as well as the posting ITT, oh a perfect score.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Nonsense posted:

The way bombs are diffused is they blow them up with a smaller bomb so this isn't that far out of the ordinary for a bomb robot.

Dirt posted:

The whole point of lovely infractions like this is to pull people over, run their name for warrants, and possibly search their car/them for drugs. The cops do not give a poo poo about the tail light. It's about sticking people in jail as much as possible, not a traffic safety issue.

Yeah, one thing learned from watching Cops for the past two dozen years is that those stops are all pretexts. They either saw them leave a "drug area" or recognize the driver as someone they've arrested before. The closest it gets to traffic safety is when they're drunk driving and swerving all over, but that doesn't require blaming a taillight.

duz fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 8, 2016

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Nonsense posted:

I'm not sure exactly what was used but remote controlled bomb-disposal robots have been used for at least 20-30 years at this point. They're essentially just a robotic arm and a camera on treads. The explosive charges used are relatively small and meant to demolish or detonate suspected bombs safely. It's not some kill-bot with a laser strapped on it's back, constantly seeking input and dancing to 80's saxophone music.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

theflyingorc posted:

Literally what we know:

1 and 2 were confirmed by the police chief at the 1:30 eastern press conference last night, dude.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PhilJankowski/status/751489113631563776

You guys hearing the same for your hometown PDs?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

LogisticEarth posted:

I'm not sure exactly what was used but remote controlled bomb-disposal robots have been used for at least 20-30 years at this point. They're essentially just a robotic arm and a camera on treads. The explosive charges used are relatively small and meant to demolish or detonate suspected bombs safely. It's not some kill-bot with a laser strapped on it's back, constantly seeking input and dancing to 80's saxophone music.

However it is a bot that kills with a bomb strapped to it's back, constantly needing input.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

zoux posted:

Yeah, let's see how we scored with the coverage last night as well as the posting ITT, oh a perfect score.

sweet 9/9, do we get a prize?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Nenonen posted:

the less chance there is for some other psycho to mimic the murders.

Too late, already happened kinda

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Imagine the last thing you see before you die because you went on a 5-star kill spree is a loving robot.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I think they just opened up another can of worms that people will use against PD's, but in the end they're going to restore order any way possible, but I'm already seeing people complain that he was killed rather than captured (never mind he was constantly returning fire)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Karl Sharks posted:

sweet 9/9, do we get a prize?

Yeah the prize is "Remember how it went down this time and the next time it happens and don't repeat rumors or uncorroborated facts and just go to bed"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

teen witch posted:

Imagine the last thing you see before you die because you went on a 5-star kill spree is a loving robot.

They should patch this into GTA V.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

teen witch posted:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Hoo boy, activists are in for a hell of a ride.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

exploding mummy posted:

1 and 2 were confirmed by the police chief at the 1:30 eastern press conference last night, dude.

Give me a link, then, because CNN's summary on it is not vague:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/08/us/philando-castile-alton-sterling-protests/index.html

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

LGD posted:

No the best response is definitely to continue to throw a tantrum because the government can't indefinitely suspend (more) of your rights if it arbitrarily puts you on a secret 'naughty' list

Exchanging civil liberties and basic human rights for the ephemeral illusion of a promise of safety is a proud American tradition, sir.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

zoux posted:

Naw. Ours is just enforcing the "buddy system" for foot patrols.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

Yeah the prize is "Remember how it went down this time and the next time it happens and don't repeat rumors or uncorroborated facts and just go to bed"

But can I still quote people's posts to just add "gently caress" or "oh poo poo"? I feel like those really add a lot to these shooting incidents.

• Locked thread