Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Strife posted:

I figured if they were technologically advanced enough to have interstellar travel, they could conceivably get an airtank and a jetpack into the same backpack.

Plus there was holes in the bottom. Even though they were just a result of saving material in the molding process, they could totally be jet nozzles!

Even though I was solidly in the "they're air tanks!!" camp as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Crotch Fruit posted:

#BlacktronLivesMatter

Yeah that's what I wrote and then deleted. There's things we shouldn't be making light of right now. I know it's a joke, but it's also hitting slightly too close to home this time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pfft insensitive jokes are why something awful exists.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
SA has kind of moved away from dumb easy edgelord jokes like that outside of fyadlites and the gibbis

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

xzzy posted:

If you turn everything sideways, you have unlimited smooth bits!

I had the rough idea in my head for a classic space scene when I have time and between the M-Tron and this, I need to make it with a smooth base

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a lot of fun to figure out, but if it's your first time (like it was for me) you're going to be doing a lot of disassemble and reassemble. Which is also fun, but if you keep in mind the ratio of two stud width = 5 plates high you can get stuff to fit together seamlessly and life gets easier.

Examples:

http://www.moc-pages.com/moc.php/185487

Also can't have too many of part #87087.

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

She-Hulk! Red Hulk!

I heard the price for this is going to be $60 for ~350 pieces. If it was ~$30 or $40, I would be all over it!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/comic-con-hulk-she-hulk-909252

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

xzzy posted:

It's a lot of fun to figure out, but if it's your first time (like it was for me) you're going to be doing a lot of disassemble and reassemble. Which is also fun, but if you keep in mind the ratio of two stud width = 5 plates high you can get stuff to fit together seamlessly and life gets easier.

Examples:

Figuring stuff like that out is fun and I've got about 20k loose pieces, so plenty to experiment with. I'll have to put it together multicolored then switch over to old grey and blue when one section looks good

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Captain Invictus posted:

When was the first rifle or revolver? The wild west theme in the early to mid 90's, right?

I so regret never getting any of that theme. Or of The Lone Ranger when that was out more recently.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Plus there was holes in the bottom. Even though they were just a result of saving material in the molding process, they could totally be jet nozzles!

Even though I was solidly in the "they're air tanks!!" camp as a kid.

When I'd argue the point with my friend Jim he'd point to the dents in the helmets and say those were some sort of air inlet.

You know. In space.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

xzzy posted:

Examples:

This is good and helping me grasp these uh "stud turning" or what ever concepts. I have a hard time getting past "all bricks are placed with studs facing up!" mentality. To be fair 90% of lego kits are built this way. "Real bricks have studs!"

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Chairchucker posted:

I so regret never getting any of that theme. Or of The Lone Ranger when that was out more recently.

I regret passing on the Lone Ranger gold mine when I saw it at 50% off, that would have been a great display piece for the train.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Captain Invictus posted:

When was the first rifle or revolver? The wild west theme in the early to mid 90's, right?
The pirate flintlock pistols and rifles came before revolvers. My dark age began in 96 or so and I never had the latter.

deoju fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jul 8, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sorry guys I know I have posted my stupid thing like twice already, but I keep sperging out on it and tweaking it, and need opinions.

Red dome?

Or gray dome?

Can't decide, I like both.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Guess what leaked...

http://imgur.com/a/lGWvC

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Red. Gives it more flair.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Huh. That's actually a bit disappointing, a whole bunch of it is just made up of huge pieces. Maybe there's more to it though, any more photos? It does capture the silhouette pretty nicely.

e: oh I didn't read that properly. okay that has got a great interior

Koramei fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 9, 2016

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

That castle looks cool and I will probably get it.

Also I just bought Poe Dameron's X-Wing. Now I think I've got all the Star Wars ships I really want; Star Destroyer, Falcon, Slave 1, now this.

Also bought a Disney minifig while I was there which turned out to be Mickey, which I was relatively happy with.

EDIT: Wait so is that a set they're going to sell, or not?

Chairchucker fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 9, 2016

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Koramei posted:

Huh. That's actually a bit disappointing, a whole bunch of it is just made up of huge pieces. Maybe there's more to it though, any more photos? It does capture the silhouette pretty nicely.

The interior is awesome. Here's a link that shows each room and all the Disney movie references!

http://imgur.com/a/jWini

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Strife posted:

I figured if they were technologically advanced enough to have interstellar travel, they could conceivably get an airtank and a jetpack into the same backpack.

This was me. My space dude lost his backpack? Ooh poo poo, get him into the airlock!

Then fly off in the starfighter that used them for aft pitch thrusters.
:yayclod:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So I realised today that Lego's new London office is literally right next to where I work. I spotted this yesterday in a window:

and today I spotted a monitor base that was all duplo bricks. So I googled and yup. Lego London office.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

xzzy posted:

Examples:

I talk about this in terms of "arbitrary units," or AUs (much smaller than the real ones :v:). A 1x1 brick is 5x5x6. Each stud worth of brick is 5, each plate worth of height is 2 (and so a two-stud-by-five-plate block of parts forms a 10x10 cube, bar the studs themselves—this is easily testable with tiles). Slender brackets (and baseplates) have a depth of 1, as does the inset of the headlight brick. The stud itself has a diameter of 3 and a height of 1 (but the text adds enough to break fine tolerances), which is why you can fit a plate edge-on between the studs of a brick. I don't build much myself, anymore, but I collaborate with Tkytko and simply having a language for the finer dimensions of Lego parts definitely helped us think and talk about them.

Regarding (twentieth-century) ships, one thing that I rarely if ever see used is a sideways plate hull technique, with the studs facing out from the ship's centerline. Compared with conventional studs-on-top design, sideways plates are more capable of expressing the fine contours of a hull as a plate thickness (2 AU) is itself finer than a stud width (5 AU). I'm not sure if you could pull off a studless version of this and still maintain a satisfying rake to the stem, but, eh, studless isn't everything. If I had the motivation, I might try a half-hull demonstration model. :effort:

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

They're... Coming out with a Disney... Castle?!

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.

Dr. Light posted:

I heard the price for this is going to be $60 for ~350 pieces. If it was ~$30 or $40, I would be all over it!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/comic-con-hulk-she-hulk-909252

I feel like Lego is learning the wrong lessons with licensed lines. They are developing the builds as an afterthought to the mini-figs and the price point. It's even carrying over to non-licensed sets like the sets with Jestro and Axl, or Dogshanks and Nadakahn.

I feel like if anything causes the Lego bubble to burst it's going to be charging an arm and leg for lovely sets because they have high demand mini-figs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Koramei posted:

You could always try your hand at this one!

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Well, SP3, all the 'bad guys' are aliens, while the SP are all human. 🤔
Still not as bad as Mars Mission, which pretty much seemed to be about humans invading Mars to abduct the Martians and use them as living power sources for their ships.

They were really cool ships though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

deoju posted:

The pirate flintlock pistols and rifles came before revolvers. My dark age began in 96 or so and I never had the latter.
Yeah I know those were mentioned before, I meant like, the six shooters and straight rifles, not flintlocks and blunderbusses
Now you, too can have a symbol of corporate oppression as your very own official lego set

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah I know those were mentioned before, I meant like, the six shooters and straight rifles, not flintlocks and blunderbusses

Now you, too can have a symbol of corporate oppression as your very own official lego set

The irony is buying a corporate oppression symbol from another corporation!!!!!!11!!!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lego is cool and good, which Disney is not

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

Oh come now, we've had Shell sets since the 60s.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Not to mention Octan!!!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Octan's not based on a real company is it

Don't shatter this illusion

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Shawn posted:

I feel like Lego is learning the wrong lessons with licensed lines. They are developing the builds as an afterthought to the mini-figs and the price point. It's even carrying over to non-licensed sets like the sets with Jestro and Axl, or Dogshanks and Nadakahn.

I feel like if anything causes the Lego bubble to burst it's going to be charging an arm and leg for lovely sets because they have high demand mini-figs.

I dunno, the DC and Marvel sets have always been focused on minifigs first and builds second. The only real exception is the '66 Batcave.

Saw the new SW Eclipse set today and carried it around the store for a while before deciding $30 was too much when all I really want is the Dengar minifig. Decent looking set though.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Octan's not based on a real company is it

Don't shatter this illusion

Whatever helps you sleep at night

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I dunno, the DC and Marvel sets have always been focused on minifigs first and builds second. The only real exception is the '66 Batcave.

Saw the new SW Eclipse set today and carried it around the store for a while before deciding $30 was too much when all I really want is the Dengar minifig. Decent looking set though.

SW has been terrible about this since I started buying them a couple of years ago. At least the comics ones will give you a couple of key characters in a $10-15 set so it feels all right spending that much on a few minifigures and some extra parts, but Star Wars basically puts all the good minifigures in bigger sets that are otherwise poo poo or just really overpriced and for the >$15 range the best you'll get is unnamed troops.

It bugs me I don't have a Darth Vader despite having probably close to 100 SW figures. The only sets he has been in since i started buying them have either sucked (final duel) or been stupid over priced (tie vs A wing) I should probably just Ebay one.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Something like that, the closest they've ever gotten to WW1/2 or modern era guns has been Indiana Jones or Marvel. Maybe Batman, I vaguely remember one badguy fig having a tommy gun.

EDIT:

Oh god, my sister's going to buy one and make me build it. OTOH, oh boy, my sister's going to buy one and make me build it! :dance:

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 9, 2016

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

NESguerilla posted:

SW has been terrible about this since I started buying them a couple of years ago. At least the comics ones will give you a couple of key characters in a $10-15 set so it feels all right spending that much on a few minifigures and some extra parts, but Star Wars basically puts all the good minifigures in bigger sets that are otherwise poo poo or just really overpriced and for the >$15 range the best you'll get is unnamed troops.

It bugs me I don't have a Darth Vader despite having probably close to 100 SW figures. The only sets he has been in since i started buying them have either sucked (final duel) or been stupid over priced (tie vs A wing) I should probably just Ebay one.

Yeah, in all my years of buying SW sets I have yet to acquire a Vader minifig. I'll probably just order one plus that Dengar off bricklink.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I think I got a Vader in the Star Destroyer set.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I have one from a really early set that was him on his throne in front of a window. That was a 9.99 set or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
I got the Vader Head and Helmet off of Bricks and Pieces and just put it on different bodies.

I don't know how long the poo poo sets have been going on, but it's really apparent lately, especially with SW when you have poo poo like the Battle of Takodana which is insane, also the First Order Troop Transport. SW villains are all anyone wants, but they are not only stingy to get the most money for the sets, but also lazy by designing the shittiest sets. The comic licenses are worse for having whatever vehicle and then having a 50-200 piece wall to pad the piece count.

I dunno, this Hulk set cheeses me off because those huge gently caress off wheels are going to sit in a bin. They could have done like a brickbuilt fin fang foom or something like the giant man and made sense or have Doom and a jet or something. or Alternate Thunderbolt Ross or Glen Talbot and a tank. loving Hulk motorcycles...