Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

If any pdx devs read this: can you add a beta to Steam that always tracks the latest patch, including experimental ones? So like I could switch to that branch and automatically go from 1.1 -> 1.2 beta -> 1.2 -> 1.3 beta -> 1.3 etc. as you guys release them without having to set it manually each time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Are you actually adding stupid zombie crap next patch or is that optional? Because the other things look good but that dev diary was really stupid.

loving hell, there's no zombies. The DD clearly states there's a "general belief" the dead are rising while the event text talks about rumours. It's an event chain about fear of the other and mob mentality.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Darkrenown posted:

loving hell, there's no zombies. The DD clearly states there's a "general belief" the dead are rising while the event text talks about rumours. It's an event chain about fear of the other and mob mentality.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/first-ever-screenshot-released-for-crusader-kings-z.679685/

Maybe they were reading this one?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Maybe! Here's the recent one:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-developer-diary-11-the-end-of-days.950847/

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Every time I'm reminded of this, I'm saddened it never happened.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Everyone who wants CK2 presumably has it by now, so Paradox should just be focused whatever resources they still have on it making DLC that will piss off their fanbases the most. Its not enough that say Sunset Invasion is optional, its the very fact that you spent time and brainpower on it at all gets these weirdos incensed.

I can respect a company that alienates its worst customers out of principle. Bring on the zombie bears.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I'd buy that for a dollar! (During sales.)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Frogfingers posted:

Everyone who wants CK2 presumably has it by now, so Paradox should just be focused whatever resources they still have on it making DLC that will piss off their fanbases the most. Its not enough that say Sunset Invasion is optional, its the very fact that you spent time and brainpower on it at all gets these weirdos incensed.

I can respect a company that alienates its worst customers out of principle. Bring on the zombie bears.

But Sunset Invasion kinda sucks regardless of historic realism

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

corn in the bible posted:

It was a harbinger of DLCs to come

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sunset Invasion does what I asked of it: make idiots mad.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
The thing I find most funny about Sunset Invasion is that it's the only DLC that is aimed at lategame, I'm pretty sure.

I've never even seen it trigger without me doing it with the console because I never complete a game.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

spooky

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Darkrenown posted:

If everyone is going to get mad at you for adding zombies... you should just bite the bullet and add zombies. Might as well, at this point. :shobon:

EDIT: I'm mad you're not adding zombies.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

Sunset Invasion was Paradox dipping ones proverbial toe in the water and having it chomped off by nerds. Understandably they don't want to jump into any wacky themed DLC headfirst any more, but its a sad state. We could have wizard DLC or some kind of age of heroes Arthurian/Nibelung scenarios today if it were a happier universe.

Though if it was skeleton DLC I imagine that would be bare bones as well.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Frogfingers posted:

Sunset Invasion was Paradox dipping ones proverbial toe in the water and having it chomped off by nerds. Understandably they don't want to jump into any wacky themed DLC headfirst any more, but its a sad state. We could have wizard DLC or some kind of age of heroes Arthurian/Nibelung scenarios today if it were a happier universe.

I seriously doubt that the Sunset Invasion backlash turned them off wacky DLC. I would be surprised if we didn't eventually get one for HoI4 considering that the focus is so tight there are only so many "historical" expansions that they could reasonably make content for.

I think the only reason there hasn't been one since Sunset Invasion is that the well is just so deep for "historical" expansions to CK2 or EU4.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I'd gladly pay 10 bucks for an expansion that's a professionaly made alt-history scenario on the level of HOI2/DH Kaiserreich. Given how I literally bought Darkest Hour to play Kaiserreich that's exactly what I did.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Frogfingers posted:

Did you write this entire post just to justify that pun?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Did you write this entire post just to justify that pun?

I thought it was humerus at the very least

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I have a bone to pick with people who make bad skeleton puns.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
turn left thread! noooo

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

turn left thread! noooo
Did you know that an old English word for making a mistake was "Boner" ?

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
All this talk of a insane undead/ alt-history/ low fantasy dlc sounds like it could be a reason to get back into ck2 after a long hiatus. And if it pisses off the forum spergs even better.

Edit: it's a four year old game, pdox already has their money, make a kick rear end crazy alt history dlc and close out the development cycle on a high note.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I fired up CK2 the other day for the first time in a couple of years. After playing a lot of HOI4 and EU4, CK2 looks a lot less shiny than the newer games.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I dunno, they spruced it up back during Charlemagne or around there. HOI4 definitely looks slicker but I think CK2 is about on par with EU4.

actually EU4 is kind of feeling patched together these days, interface-wise. especially the fact it wants to restart without giving you any warning.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
What's a fun thing to do in EU4? I can make a lot of my own fun in CK2 and HOI4, but EU4 makes me feel like :effort: a lot of the countries feel same-y.

I've had it for years, and bought all except the latest major dlcs, but I only have like 20 hours in it.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
achievements

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

What's a fun thing to do in EU4? I can make a lot of my own fun in CK2 and HOI4, but EU4 makes me feel like :effort: a lot of the countries feel same-y.

I've had it for years, and bought all except the latest major dlcs, but I only have like 20 hours in it.

You haven't played enough of the game to see the differences. CK2 titles are much more same-y than EU4 nations really, starting location, religion, and tech group influence the long-term trajectory of your nation a lot in EU4. For example, in CK2 what's the difference between playing as Venice or Genoa? Not much - both are Italian merchant republics and will probably end up uniting Italy and becoming functionally identical. In EU4 they're quite different simply because of how trade flows - Venice gets immediate benefits from dominating the eastern Mediterranean but can't bring home New World wealth later very easily, while Genoa is basically unable to do anything in the nodes nearest to them for a long time but has greater potential for benefiting from an overseas empire. Most nations have something interesting going on by virtue of their position, neighbors, etc. Achievements will guide you to do specific interesting stuff as particular nations as well - they are basically the win conditions of this game rather than just fluff.

Europe is kind of boring until you are comfortable playing the smaller nations there, though. You could play as Ethiopia, Majapahit, or some other Indian Ocean-adjacent nation for a very different experience.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

If you think EU4 nations are samey, feel free to pick a fight with late game Prussia. I'm sure it'll go great.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
Where's my skeleton DLC for HOI4 paradox I'll cancel my post-releaseorder

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

Where's my skeleton DLC for HOI4 paradox I'll cancel my post-releaseorder

A zombie outbreak DLC for HoI4 would be an instant purchase for me.

Can't wait to fight the Nazi zombies.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

AIDS

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

ExtraNoise posted:

Recruitable population = 100%

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Fintilgin posted:

You guys made him the lead on Rome 2, didn't you?

You really don't know me? I would torch Rome and laugh manically and profess my eternal devotion to Cyrus and Ahura Mazda.

VostokProgram posted:

If any pdx devs read this: can you add a beta to Steam that always tracks the latest patch, including experimental ones? So like I could switch to that branch and automatically go from 1.1 -> 1.2 beta -> 1.2 -> 1.3 beta -> 1.3 etc. as you guys release them without having to set it manually each time.

Good idea, should be doable. If I remember it after vacation I'll bring it up

TL: Remind me in 3 weeks because I will need it

Groogy fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 8, 2016

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
You heard it people, spam his PMs until he's out of space!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

ExtraNoise posted:

I never got around to trying that one zombie apocalypse mod for Victoria 2. Shame, it seemed fun.

Using the colonization mechanics to repopulate the Earth was a pretty neat idea.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Groogy posted:

You really don't know me? I would torch Rome and laugh manically and profess my eternal devotion to Cyrus and Ahura Mazda.

Didn't deny it. Rome II confirmed. Forwarding post to relevent media outlets.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Groogy posted:

imo that's a good thing. That means you won't go all Rome fanboy and would more likely give the time and resources to everybody else to give at least someone other than the Romans justice.

I'm looking forward to your take on Rome II.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Make Rome II about the downfall of Rome

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Takanago posted:

But CK2 and EU4 already cover that time period?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Takanago posted:

Total War Attila