Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

RedMagus posted:

I'm hoping for micro-transactions they start including appearance customization, clothing and stuff kind of what we saw with Miitomo.

Gotta buy some shorts!

I just want an actual hat. What is the Pokémon obsession with visors?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Doesn't it block out if you go above 20mph? So there are people just slooooowly creeping around the city in their cars because they are too lazy to walk and enjoy themselves.

No wonder we're all getting fat.

I think that only applies to hatching eggs. You can totally zip around town and hit up pokestops or capture pokemon.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Is the battle system cool? Can you go around ruffing up randoms?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

MrSargent posted:

Can confirm that my fiancé and I took a walk lay night and literally saw all of the same Pokemon in the same spot. Also the gym near me just got a lvl600 pidgeot defending it wtf how are these nerds playing enough with the servers this way?

Kids are out on summer vacation, us working folks are hosed

HighwireAct posted:

Servers still down for anyone else?

They will be until like 8pm EST just like every other day so far, don't get your hopes up and don't use incense or anything like that until about 2 in the morning. The only way to keep a gym for more than 20 minutes is to grab it at 4am.

lastly, red is a garbage color for babies, sunbros for life

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

jiggerypokery posted:

Is the battle system cool? Can you go around ruffing up randoms?

There is no pvp whatsoever

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Knifegrab posted:

The nearby pokemon tracker is such a broken piece of poo poo. It just straight up doesn't work. I'll get a pokemon down to one footstep and then boom it just disappears. I hope they make this poo poo more reliable.

I wish there was more of an indication if you're going in the wrong direction. Cause I've seen charmanders on my nearby pokemon thing and walked all over the place and never seen it go below 3 feet. Though I guess I didn't jump off the sheer cliff behind my house. So that might have been it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Roland Jones posted:

It's still true. Mechanically, incense generates more Pokemon around you, but their locations on the map don't change, so you still need to move around during this time. None of the Pokemon discovered by incense are the ones you see "Nearby", from what I've seen.

I used an incense and sat in my apartment for the 30minutes and caught 5 or 6 pokemon from it. None were 'nearby' pokemon.

Kurieg posted:

I wish there was more of an indication if you're going in the wrong direction. Cause I've seen charmanders on my nearby pokemon thing and walked all over the place and never seen it go below 3 feet. Though I guess I didn't jump off the sheer cliff behind my house. So that might have been it.

I thought it was supposed to just be a total distance thing? If you have to walk to a specific area that's terrible and there's no goddamn away I'm going to comb my apartment complex or the surrounding area.

Servers also poo poo themselves when I was trying to get a Pikachu and of course after reconnecting the Pokemon in my area are completely different (and all low tier poo poo I have already). :(

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
I can connect fine at the moment, but the server status page says it's still down. Don't know which to trust, considering the game doesn't do a great job of telling you when it's not connected anyway.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Are Pokestops the only reliable way to get free Pokeballs besides levelling up? Like I said earlier in the thread, the closest one to me is miles away from my house and there's no sidewalks if I don't want to waste gas driving.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Servers are back up

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

MrSargent posted:

Can confirm that my fiancé and I took a walk lay night and literally saw all of the same Pokemon in the same spot. Also the gym near me just got a lvl600 pidgeot defending it wtf how are these nerds playing enough with the servers this way?

Once you start powering up your own Pokemon this won't seem that crazy. The more times you power up, the bigger the increment your CP increases too, but so does the stardust cost.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
RE: CP chat (well that sounds weird), I found a CP 170~ Eevee at the tail end of level 7, and evolved it into a level 340 jolteon. So CP can be raised hugely by evolution.

Edit: and servers down again Working

Vvvv it's a lure, basically incense that goes on a pokestop that everyone can see.

Hit level 8, got a Razz berry, throw and pokemon will easier to catch on your next throw.

Deep Winter fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 8, 2016

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I'm seeing what appears to be flower petals scattering around a nearby Pokespot. Is that an Incense?

edit: ^^^^^ thanks!

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jul 8, 2016

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I found a level 300 Drowsee that I could immediately evolve into a level 700 Hypno, so getting some higher level 'mons isn't all that hard. Also, there is a location nearby that is swarming with level 350+ Magmar's, it seems everyone is stuffing them in the nearby gyms.
For early levels, getting some decent Pidgeottos/Pidgeots and/or Golbats goes a long way for those early gyms.

Edit: Also, on level 8 you start getting Razz berries, which makes the pokemon easier to catch, and on level 10 you start finding super potions.

parara
Apr 9, 2010
Of course the servers poo poo the bed again when there's an Alakazam within walking distance.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
We would like to apologize, the people responsible for sacking the people working on the Niantic servers have themselves been sacked.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
It seems everyone has a pet theory of how the tracker works but no one really knows.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
I hope we get some little free thing after this like some incenses or something.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
drat servers just robbed me of a Pidgeotto :argh:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Unmature posted:

I hope we get some little free thing after this like some incenses or something.

:lol: yeah keep wishing

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I know it's only been a day but has anyone noticed an effect on Pokemon appearing based on day vs. night?

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

Reik posted:

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ SERVERS TAKE MY ENERGY ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

DizzyBum posted:

I know it's only been a day but has anyone noticed an effect on Pokemon appearing based on day vs. night?

I think there's something in place. The area around my house is full of pidgeys, rattattas and spearows during the daytime, while at night there's mostly zubats, weedles and Drowzees.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Being a delivery driver or repair technician is perfect for this poo poo. Nobody questions my work car's quick stops.

My Onix is the poo poo.

133 Pokeballs, 30 Revives, 43 Potions and 1 Incense in case anyone was wondering about item drop ratios.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

dragon_pamcake posted:

Being a delivery driver or repair technician is perfect for this poo poo. Nobody questions my work car's quick stops.

My Onix is the poo poo.

133 Pokeballs, 30 Revives, 43 Potions and 1 Incense in case anyone was wondering about item drop ratios.

Yep, I drive all across my state for my job. Stopped by a couple churches and whatnot on the way. Too bad the servers are down half the day.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
What do you actually get for putting your Pokémon in a gym?

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

Sharzak posted:

Daily coin payouts

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
Now that I can finally get online, I've discovered I can hit up a pokestop and a gym from my apartment's deck. :coolfish:

EDIT: Also I've gotten like 4 pokemon inside my apartment already. This game owns, who needs to go outside.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Is this out everywhere yet, or just randomly in some places still?

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

Sharzak posted:

Beside the honor of beating the unworthy? You can get a lot of stardust and coins for having a max of 10 gym dudes.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Do we know if your equipment is stored on the server, or in the app? I'm curious if item reduction required a command transmitted, or if it's the type of thing we're going to see pop up on reddit as a hack.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

RedMagus posted:

Do we know if your equipment is stored on the server, or in the app? I'm curious if item reduction required a command transmitted, or if it's the type of thing we're going to see pop up on reddit as a hack.

Everything's stored server side from what I can tell. I've tossed a pokeball at a 'mon, watched the app freeze, then logged in later to find that I had a new pokemon.

e: And the servers are down again, at least they were up long enough for me to get some poo poo at the local park.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Wobbuffet! Wobbuffet!! WHERE!?

RedMagus posted:

For sure on the server. I've reinstalled a couple of times, and have it on both my iphone and android.

e: I didn't read your post all the way. It seems like everything happens on the server side, so I wouldn't think there'll be a glitch like that.

stoko fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 8, 2016

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

How the hell do you turn the AR stuff off because it crashes my phone every time it tries to load, which means I am literally incapable of catching anything.

Using the husbands phone with my account I can catch whatever waddles by but mine is apparently too old to handle loading pidgeys. And there's no option in the settings to turn that off.

stoko
Nov 26, 2003

Wobbuffet! Wobbuffet!! WHERE!?

mistaya posted:

How the hell do you turn the AR stuff off because it crashes my phone every time it tries to load, which means I am literally incapable of catching anything.

Using the husbands phone with my account I can catch whatever waddles by but mine is apparently too old to handle loading pidgeys. And there's no option in the settings to turn that off.

When you go to catch a pokemon, in the upper right there is a little AR toggle.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yessss I hatched a CP 107 Eevee out of a 10km egg and it immediately gave me 27 Eevee candy. I now have a CP 382 Flareon.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Of course when it's finally time for my husband to get home and we're about to take our dog on a walk the servers go down. I love the fact that I can always get on when I have no plans to leave the house and it crashes the second I'm like "I'd like to take a walk."

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

stoko posted:

When you go to catch a pokemon, in the upper right there is a little AR toggle.

This is a problem if the game also crashes whenever you go to catch a Pokemon

I tried to find this setting too because my rear-facing camera doesn't work (meaning it defaults to the selfie camera and I am presented with my horrible face and a weedle on top of my head) but I guess they didn't consider this would happen. As a workaround you can probably deactivate your camera in Apps or whatever and it might just default to being turned off. it could also default to crashing still, but I can't think of a better way to do it

Unmature
May 9, 2008
If you get booted out of a gym is there a notification? I put one in a gym yesterday and when I click the shield icon it says you need to take over a gym to get coin payouts like I don't have one there. It was over 24 hours ago, I should have something, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
There's no notification, it's just that your pokemon magically shows up in your list again and you've missed out at Shop cash-in points for that spot.

I think I'm spoiled by these Korean/Japanese development shops where everything is ridiculously polished w/ like 10 tiers of things to do. Can we just slap the AR pokemons into that? Too late now, I guess. It'll be interesting to see the drop-off next week if the server issues persist.

• Locked thread