Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

SiGmA_X posted:

Was your drain glued on to the AC evaporator housing?

Nothing was glued, it was just a T joint going from the pan with a vent up top and a drain in the bottom, when clogged it was leaking out the vent at the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

VendaGoat posted:

Like I said, he needs a new canuter valve.

Yup

Ok I'll mention this again - canuter valve = snipe hunt, correct? I.e. you're giving joke advice? I didn't think that was a real thing.

And it definitely appears to be A/C related so service call time, come on baby free replacement of my 30 year old a/c unit :pray: Even if I could track down the pan or the pipe or whatever is having the blockage/overflow I'd rather roll the dice on a replacement unit with this warranty.

Thank god I bought a shop vac a literal week ago to clean up all the black oil sunflower seed shells that the birds were throwing everywhere, it's handled this water way better than a mop.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Ok I'll mention this again - canuter valve = snipe hunt, correct? I.e. you're giving joke advice? I didn't think that was a real thing.

And it definitely appears to be A/C related so service call time, come on baby free replacement of my 30 year old a/c unit :pray:

Correct.

The first reply to you about the cooling unit inside your duct work was the honest advice.

To burst your bubble further. It's probably just a clogged drain, which they will blow out, like the above poster said and everything will be fine again.

If it's still blowing cold air, it's functioning properly.

Edit: for clarity's sake.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
They're gonna clean out your drain, they're not gonna replace your unit. Nice try though.

I did get a new evap coil (not a new unit) out of my home warranty, but that was only after three visits to refill the coolant.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

It's been mentioned but maybe should be repeated. A water leak is a plumbing issue, not an hvac issue. If the unit cools, it's working. Condensation is a normal part of the process. The harder the unit is working the more water will need to drain, so if a drain isn't working correctly the issue will rear its head when the ac is going the longest/hardest.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Our washing machine died and we need a new one. What do you homeowners recommend? We don't want to spend more than $500 on one. All the ones I've own in the past have had agitators in the middle, and it's getting harder and harder to find ones with that. A lot of them are high efficiency which from what I've read online means uses less water, and reviews say that their clothes aren't getting as clean because of that. We don't want to buy the wrong washing machine, so I'm looking for opinions here.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I bought an LG frontloader 4 months ago, model WM3570HWA, and I like it a lot... currently going for $700 though. It definitely gets my clothes clean. There are extra-dirt cycles, and extra rinse cycles, seriously it's been great so far.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A basic HE frontloader works fine. I've had mine for like 8 years? It's a Kenmore model 417.something.

Top loaders with agitators tear up your clothes more and have lower capacities, and you can't shove big blankets in there.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Garage door opener finally gave up the ghost. :homebrew: Thankfully it's not a huge outlay like "roof needs replacin'" but still, not fun money to spend.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
^^That sucks man... I'd sell you the spare one my girlfriend picked up when the sears near us was going under, but I'm sure it would cost more to ship the dang thing than it's worth. At least it's not a snowballing expense, like replacing a window.

Re: Washers--my parents switched to a high efficiency front loader and have had nothing but problems with it, the latest being the gasket seal around the door leaking and draining water everywhere upstairs. Sample size of one and I'm sure there are better units out there, but I'm happy with the basic 300$ top loader I picked up from the ding and dent appliance store (appliance smart I think?).

Found an ancient postcard in my walls with the inspection camera while I was trying to figure out the obstruction stopping me from running new wiring up to the attic. I'd love to pull it out and take a look at it, but I don't think there's any way I can do so without drilling a sizeable hole in the wall. Kind of makes me wonder what other poo poo is lurking in there... When I first starting fixing stuff around the house, I found an old trolley token behind the medicine cabinet, which is crazy since there hasn't been streetcar service around here for almost eighty years. Kind of feels like an archaeological expedition, except the only mummies are my lungs after being exposed to asbestos and lead paint :3:

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

drilling a sizeable hole in the wall
It is your duty. Post pics

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Why on earth would someone put a washing machine on an upper floor

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Higgy posted:

Garage door opener finally gave up the ghost. :homebrew: Thankfully it's not a huge outlay like "roof needs replacin'" but still, not fun money to spend.
Are you going to convert to a LiftMaster 8500? GJ highly recommends them.

slap me silly posted:

It is your duty. Post pics
Yes please I'd like to see the card, too.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Skepticism of front-loader washers seems to be a North American thing, so I assume we're wrong, but the only experience I've had was a bad one. My old apartment came with a brand-new Frigidaire front-loader that promptly developed a mold problem in the gasket that no amount of bleach could fix. Replaced the gasket, was super careful about letting it dry out, same problem. The lesson there might be "buy a washer from a brand known for making washers," but also, look out for mold complaints.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

for what it's worth my front-loading washing machine has been nothing but wonderful

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
I'll give a vote for front loading. I've had mine for 5 years, Kenmore, high efficiency, cost about 500. No problems, cleans well, never had a leak, and no mold.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

QuarkJets posted:

Why on earth would someone put a washing machine on an upper floor

Most laundry is "generated" in the bedrooms. Changing clothes, sheets, bath towels, etc. Putting the machine upstairs means you don't have to carry laundry up and down every time you do the wash.

Of course, if you have a leak, it can be a big problem if the room isn't designed well. If I ever were to have a unit on the second floor, I'd definitely think about putting in a floor drain in case you ever had a break.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

LogisticEarth posted:

Most laundry is "generated" in the bedrooms. Changing clothes, sheets, bath towels, etc. Putting the machine upstairs means you don't have to carry laundry up and down every time you do the wash.

Of course, if you have a leak, it can be a big problem if the room isn't designed well. If I ever were to have a unit on the second floor, I'd definitely think about putting in a floor drain in case you ever had a break.

Yep. Our washer sits on a shallow tub that has a floor drain. We love our laundry room being beside our bedroom.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

LogisticEarth posted:

I used to live with a 2nd floor front-loading washer and it was loud as gently caress, the vibration could be heard everywhere in the house. Apparently most of the manufacturers recommend against putting one on the second floor for this reason. In our current house, I'm happy having to walk up and down one flight of stairs instead of dealing with that. Second floor plumbing is also often a shitshow so I'm also happy to minimize those risks

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
We went to the zoning board of appeals yesterday, deck is good to go. I could have killed my gc though - he kept talking and his phone rang during the meeting, and he didn't seem prepared, and I was, so I just did the appeal myself.

The deck was too close to the rear setback to extend it without appealing to the zba. They need you to list a hardship so I spun some bullshit about how the deck was too small. Cue tiny deck jokes!

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

americanzero4128 posted:

Our washing machine died and we need a new one. What do you homeowners recommend? We don't want to spend more than $500 on one.
I bought an LG front loading HE washer for about $550 5 years ago, and it's been great for me.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

americanzero4128 posted:

Our washing machine died and we need a new one. What do you homeowners recommend? We don't want to spend more than $500 on one. All the ones I've own in the past have had agitators in the middle, and it's getting harder and harder to find ones with that. A lot of them are high efficiency which from what I've read online means uses less water, and reviews say that their clothes aren't getting as clean because of that. We don't want to buy the wrong washing machine, so I'm looking for opinions here.
Go to Abt, the greatest appliance store on the planet (I think you're in Chicago). Buy a whatever, they're all fine.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

americanzero4128 posted:

http://m.thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-washer-and-dryer/

You'll find agitators on the crappiest low end washers now. Everything is going HE, any modern HE washer will clean just fine.

LG and Samsung seem to be best bang for the buck right now on the low and mid range.

Also check out best buy and home improvement stores for unused floor model deals. We got our set from best buy during a model changeover for a couple hundred off each.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

My parents have had a front-loading washer forever and never had issues, I don't think there is any particular problem with them except you can't interrupt the wash cycle without flooding your room.

LogisticEarth posted:

When I was in college I rented a ground floor room in a house with a second-floor washer. One morning I woke up and went into the first-floor living room, and was greeted by a very surreal swirling light effect. It was because the washer had leaked, and the water had drained down through the first-floor ceiling and filled the half-globe light fixtures below, so all the illumination was through bowls of water. The landlord was not happy.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Ashcans posted:

My parents have had a front-loading washer forever and never had issues, I don't think there is any particular problem with them except you can't interrupt the wash cycle without flooding your room.

I can definitely interrupt the wash cycle of mine without flooding my room. HE washers shouldn't be using enough water to flow out of the washer when you interrupt them.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Rurutia posted:

I can definitely interrupt the wash cycle of mine without flooding my room. HE washers shouldn't be using enough water to flow out of the washer when you interrupt them.

Depends entirely on the size of the door relative to the washer drum. I have a pair of small Blomberg machines that fit under a standard height countertop, as they are in the kitchen. The washer door is pretty much just as big as the drum. There's really no way to not have at least a bit water spill out if you had to stop it.

Then again, I've never had to do so yet so maybe there's some feature I'm missing.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

QuarkJets posted:

I used to live with a 2nd floor front-loading washer and it was loud as gently caress, the vibration could be heard everywhere in the house. Apparently most of the manufacturers recommend against putting one on the second floor for this reason.

I have a front load washer on my first floor, over basement space. No noise or vibration complaints, it's usually less noisy than most top loaders I've used.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Zhentar posted:

I have a front load washer on my first floor, over basement space. No noise or vibration complaints, it's usually less noisy than most top loaders I've used.

Yeah mine doesn't really vibrate much at all. :shrug:

But in any case, I think it's perfectly fair to not want an upper level washer but, QuarkJets, your question was why anyone would prefer it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

VendaGoat posted:

Correct.

The first reply to you about the cooling unit inside your duct work was the honest advice.

To burst your bubble further. It's probably just a clogged drain, which they will blow out, like the above poster said and everything will be fine again.

If it's still blowing cold air, it's functioning properly.

Edit: for clarity's sake.

Unsurprisingly, you're exactly right. Cost me $90 to find out what to unplug and where to blow and whatnot, but it's solved for a short time. What I really need is a less than 35 year old A/C unit and less than 25 year old furnace, apparently there's something called a condenser unit that would be good to have? One of a million purchases to make at some point.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Zhentar posted:

Mine too, but then there are a million people on the internet complaining about their 2nd floor front-loading washers so it's apparently a real common issue, as it was for me a long time ago. I don't know if there's any difference between a floor over basement space vs a second story floor

Rurutia posted:

Yeah mine doesn't really vibrate much at all. :shrug:

But in any case, I think it's perfectly fair to not want an upper level washer but, QuarkJets, your question was why anyone would prefer it.

I was being facetious and implying that the advantage of having a washer right next to your upstairs bedroom was not worth the extra heartache and expense associated with upstairs washers

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

gvibes posted:

Go to Abt, the greatest appliance store on the planet (I think you're in Chicago). Buy a whatever, they're all fine.

Yeah, the southwest suburbs. Thanks, I'll check out ABT. Thanks everyone else for the recommendations. I think we're going to stay away with a front loader because I've heard a lot of reports of mold in the door seal.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

I was being facetious and implying that the advantage of having a washer right next to your upstairs bedroom was not worth the extra heartache and expense associated with upstairs washers

That's fine but did you expect no one to disagree with you?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Rurutia posted:

I doubt their machine was HE. I remember watching it run and during parts of the cycle it would fill up so the waterline was at least halfway up the door. If you wanted to stop it you bumped it to the end so it drained before you opened the door. I am not surprised if new washers are better!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rurutia posted:

That's fine but did you expect no one to disagree with you?

No, I'm just explaining what a rhetorical question is.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

^^That sucks man... I'd sell you the spare one my girlfriend picked up when the sears near us was going under, but I'm sure it would cost more to ship the dang thing than it's worth. At least it's not a snowballing expense, like replacing a window.

Oh yes, glad the windows are at least recent. The garage door opener, I think, is probably far past it's life expectancy and problems were noted in the original inspection but "hey it works now and it's still working a year later, we'll just deal with it when the times comes!"

SiGmA_X posted:

Are you going to convert to a LiftMaster 8500? GJ highly recommends them.

What is this wizardry. You've just blown my mind.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
What is the typical life expectancy of a garage owner? I have a craftsman from '91 that's still chugging along.

It sounds like the whole house is being thrown in a blender but it works.

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Jealous Cow posted:

What is the typical life expectancy of a garage owner?

Depends whether you maintain the door springs yourself or hire it out.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

Jealous Cow posted:

What is the typical life expectancy of a garage owner? I have a craftsman from '91 that's still chugging along.

It sounds like the whole house is being thrown in a blender but it works.

Mine is about the same age and also craftsman and it still seems like it's brand new.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
FWIW the previous owners clearly did zero servicing of the unit and and it was poorly installed to begin with. I did my best for the past year to keep it going but here we are. Going to be looking around to see what's at the toy store home depot here in a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

slap me silly posted:

Depends whether you maintain the door springs yourself or hire it out.

:golfclap: