Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Unmature posted:

If you get booted out of a gym is there a notification? I put one in a gym yesterday and when I click the shield icon it says you need to take over a gym to get coin payouts like I don't have one there. It was over 24 hours ago, I should have something, right?

FYI on this point. The first time you take a gym, or if it has been over 21 hours since you last held one you can get your 10 coins immediately. Go to the shop page and click the shield icon. It will give you ten coins and then start a 21 hour countdown clock till you can again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

mistaya posted:

How the hell do you turn the AR stuff off because it crashes my phone every time it tries to load, which means I am literally incapable of catching anything.

Using the husbands phone with my account I can catch whatever waddles by but mine is apparently too old to handle loading pidgeys. And there's no option in the settings to turn that off.

Yeah, I don't see an option outside of trying to catch a Pokémon. In Settings, there's an option to Report High-Priority Issue. Tapping that asks if you want to leave the game to report an issue. Maybe you can use that to let them know that there needs to be an AR option in Settings?

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

I'm 12 again!

Apparently other people can see your nicknames on gym pokemon? Unconfirmed but so many possibilities if so.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
YOU CAN EDIT POKEMON NAMES?!

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Webbeh posted:

YOU CAN EDIT POKEMON NAMES?!

Yep, pencil icon to the right of their name.

I've seen a few decent ones on Reddit. The white house is a gym, and it is currently controlled by a Pidgeot named MERICA. Westboro Baptist Church is controlled by a Clefairy named LoveisLove

Teeter fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 8, 2016

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Tried four times to dislodge a 43 CP Pidgey from the gym at the train station by my house, and got the bug where it hung at 1 HP on the opposing pokemon every time. :smith:

At least I got some progress on my 10km eggs.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I don't really understand why Pokestops net so many Revives at the lower levels we're at. Unless you're jetting all around town and dominating gyms nonstop, Revives are pointless compared to Potions or anything else.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Reminder we have a discord for this game where you can arrange meetups for your cities! Feel free to invite your non goon friends as well!

Also, we found out yellow team is most likely to die from pokemoning and driving

https://discord.gg/GvATQd6

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Teeter posted:

Yep, pencil icon to the right of their name.

I've seen a few decent ones on Reddit. The white house is a gym, and it is currently controlled by a Pidgeot named MERICA. Westboro Baptist Church is controlled by a Clefairy named LoveisLove

Actually, you can just tap their name to do it. Works great for fat fingered goons.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Kyrosiris posted:

Tried four times to dislodge a 43 CP Pidgey from the gym at the train station by my house, and got the bug where it hung at 1 HP on the opposing pokemon every time. :smith:

At least I got some progress on my 10km eggs.

is there any rhyme or reason to this, because I got wrecked by some guys vaporeon at the post office 3 times because it refused to actually die every time

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Servers have been down ever since I got home hours ago. :smith:

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Fullhouse posted:

is there any rhyme or reason to this, because I got wrecked by some guys vaporeon at the post office 3 times because it refused to actually die every time

You have to send a communication to the server telling it you "Killed" something

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
It is 110 degrees outside and I'm a half mile from the nearest pokestop. I'm almost out of balls... I I might actually spend money on this stupid game.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Goons please tell me which color team to join, I am bad with random uninformed decisions

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Syrinxx posted:

Goons please tell me which color team to join, I am bad with random uninformed decisions

At the moment there is no difference between the teams aside from relative strength in your local area. Pay attention to nearby gyms and see what colors seem to be the most competitive.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Walking around brooklyn I have seen at least 5 other trainers. Subsequently, I haven't held a gym for more than an hour. How do rewards even work for them? Do you need to hold it for a certain amount of time to get a reward?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Pakled posted:

At the moment there is no difference between the teams aside from relative strength in your local area. Pay attention to nearby gyms and see what colors seem to be the most competitive.

Yes, but on the other hand, BIG DICK MYSTIC WOO WOO TEAM BLUE suck it nerds

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
I can't get the app to to load at all on my Android. I get to the first loading screen with the Gyarados, which gives me a popup saying "Remember to be alert at all times. Stay aware of your surroundings." with an OK button below it, and I can't proceed from there at all. Clicking on OK does nothing except close the app :argh:

I'm also getting no GPS signal found, despite the fact that my GPS is both on and in high accuracy mode; I know it works, since I can use it for google maps.

I've tried everything I can think of; restarting my phone, reinstalling the App completely from the play store, turning on and off GPS, nothing. Anyone else running into issues like this?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Nephzinho posted:

Walking around brooklyn I have seen at least 5 other trainers. Subsequently, I haven't held a gym for more than an hour. How do rewards even work for them? Do you need to hold it for a certain amount of time to get a reward?

No, you can put a pokemon in a gym and then immediately claim your defender bonus. Go into the shop screen and the shield icon at the top right is where you can claim your daily (or, I think technically once every 21 hours) defender bonus, and you get more coins and stardust depending on how many pokemon you have in gyms at that moment, up to 10 pokemon.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Pakled posted:

No, you can put a pokemon in a gym and then immediately claim your defender bonus. Go into the shop screen and the shield icon at the top right is where you can claim your daily (or, I think technically once every 21 hours) defender bonus, and you get more coins and stardust depending on how many pokemon you have in gyms at that moment, up to 10 pokemon.

poo poo why didn't you tell me this earlier. THe gym I took over lunch has been taken over by some level gazillion college student with a swole rear end flareon.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Fullhouse posted:

This is a problem if the game also crashes whenever you go to catch a Pokemon

I tried to find this setting too because my rear-facing camera doesn't work (meaning it defaults to the selfie camera and I am presented with my horrible face and a weedle on top of my head) but I guess they didn't consider this would happen. As a workaround you can probably deactivate your camera in Apps or whatever and it might just default to being turned off. it could also default to crashing still, but I can't think of a better way to do it

It really is a problem! Though your problem is at least more funny than fun-destroying.

I guess I'll just have to abuse hubby's battery life until we update our phones again.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Pakled posted:

So I should walk my lap, take all the gyms, and then immediately claim my bonus? The bonus is based on your gym tally at that exact moment?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Nephzinho posted:

So I should walk my lap, take all the gyms, and then immediately claim my bonus? The bonus is based on your gym tally at that exact moment?

As far as I can tell, yep.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Aww man, a Golbat popped up right next to me and showed up as CP ??? and with an orange ring which I assume means it was pretty strong. I couldn't catch it in time and it ran away. :( Was hoping to have a quick and easy gym buddy!

Oh well, I have a Pidgeotto that's getting evolved shortly and should be CP 400+ so I'll take it.

So far I'm enjoying this for what it is, Pokemon Ingress. I think there's a ton of potential. There's so many features that can be added.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 8, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I am super confused. I finally got to level 5, I joined team Mystic (blue) because it is the best team obviously.

I came across a blue controlled gym. There were three pokemon there. I thought I could add my pokemon to the gym but all I could seem to do was battle my own team. What is going on?

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I live in a literal acre of tall grass and not a drat pokemon in sight.

:smith:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Knifegrab posted:

So I am super confused. I finally got to level 5, I joined team Mystic (blue) because it is the best team obviously.

I came across a blue controlled gym. There were three pokemon there. I thought I could add my pokemon to the gym but all I could seem to do was battle my own team. What is going on?

You have to battle your own team to raise its prestige, which in turn raises its level. They call it "training". A higher level gym allows more Pokemon to be added to defend it. If it's, let's say, level 3, only three Pokemon can be added.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
How long until the Twitch Plays Pokemon Go version? I want to send some guy into a river. Is Twitch Plays Pokemon still a thing?

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Knifegrab posted:

A gym has levels, which correspond to the number of pokemon that can be stored there. Level 1 gym means only 1 person can drop a pokemon, level 3 means it will hold 3, etc.

All you can do is train there but winning with that help to level up the gym, after which you can leave someone to defend it.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

El Jebus posted:

It is 110 degrees outside and I'm a half mile from the nearest pokestop. I'm almost out of balls... I I might actually spend money on this stupid game.

Suck it rurals/suburbanites! (jk though, that sucks)

5 minute walking loop around my home in the city nets an easy 5 or 6 stops.

Loser_Rex
Apr 14, 2006

Spidercock? Here?
I walked around my house because it said there were Squirtles, Caterpies and Eevees around. Thirty minute walk and found one Caterpie that immediately disappeared.

I then turn onto my street and get Rattatas, 3 Drowzees and 2 Zubats. All of which I have a million of. :bang:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

http://i.imgur.com/3rjAr7Y.gifv

CaptainJuan
Oct 15, 2008

Thick. Juicy. Tender.

Imagine cutting into a Barry White Song.

Knifegrab posted:

Battling against your own team increases the prestige of the gym which allow your team to have more pokes there

HighwireAct
May 16, 2016

Pozzo's Hat
http://www.avclub.com/article/wyoming-teen-finds-body-while-playing-pokemon-go-239316

these gym scuffles are getting out of hand

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

This is great. And for me, very accurate :smith:

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So during the short time the servers were working today, I took a walk. The game crashed constantly for the first half, and there was a Haunter in a place that's way too run down for me to go in an not feel like I'm gonna get mugged for holding a cellphone out like an idiot.

But! I found a Squirtle on a detour, and caught like, 12 other pokemon on the way home! One guy's house had 5 Pokemon in front of it. 3 were new for me on this account too. This game is pretty great when it's working right. I would have kept going since apparently i live in Eeveeburgh. But it's way too hot out for his today.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I live in Tampa. Our Pokemon Go coverage seems pretty healthy. The small apartment complex I live in has both a Pokestop and a gym, which is cool.

While driving down Dale Mabry Thursday morning, I was keeping an eye out for Pokestops. I have a dashmount for my phone, so it's not like I'm holding it while driving. Just a quick flick and I get some Pokeballs during my commute. Wouldn't bother trying to catch anything. Anyways, we've got this Pokestop in town.

If you're not from here, you might not know what the deal is. Space ships are cool. Kids love space ships! This must be built on top of a funky custom house, or maybe an arcade?

Nah, this is Tampa, motherfucker. It's a strip club. It could only ever be a strip club.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

LegionAreI posted:

I'm 12 again!

Apparently other people can see your nicknames on gym pokemon? Unconfirmed but so many possibilities if so.

Yep, they can. There's a gym right between my office and the bar most of us go to on Fridays for lunch. My office has about 5-6 people on each team and there was a running battle for control of the gym for about 2 hours at lunchtime, with increasingly troll-named pokemon being left in the gym.

When the game is working properly it's glorious. Team Valor also made a few expeditions to capture other nearby gyms and we ran into roving gangs of office workers and spoony teens out to do the same. And the game isn't even officially released here in the UK yet.

This is purely anecdotal, but I've noticed that the game seems to reward going to new areas. While stuck in the office it was a constant stream of Pidgies, Rattatas and Zubats. Once we'd ventured a few blocks away I got a boatload of new pokemon. I was super-stoked to head off with my dog to check out the nature park about 1/2 a mile from my house since it's new terrain and hopefully snag some water mons, but by the time I got home America had come online and the servers had crapped out.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

If your Pokémon is knocked out or injured, evolving will heal it.

Revol posted:

Nah, this is Tampa, motherfucker. It's a strip club. It could only ever be a strip club.

I knew exactly where that was. We ate at the Sonic right next to it, and made fun of it the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

does a nidoran want body slam or sludge bomb, both of which are 50. is stab a thing in this

• Locked thread