Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Drake/iv46vi what's the scoop for this weekend and the radio? One of you guys headed down this way hopefully?

I can meet you somewhere in the middle if necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I could meet you in Red Deer Saturday morning if nothing else works out.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Slung Blade posted:

Drake/iv46vi what's the scoop for this weekend and the radio? One of you guys headed down this way hopefully?

I can meet you somewhere in the middle if necessary.

Sorry, the plans for the weekend in Calgary fell through quite hard.

Also shipping stuff to Calgary is a poo poo show right now. Puro/Fedex/UPS won't commit to delivering by a deadline anymore. They'll take more of your money for a better level of service, but the packages themselves are all dumped in the same first come first serve queue. Not that they'd tell you that until after they got the package "placed in an inaccessible trailer that will be processed in sequence"

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The whole Canada Post on again/off again strike has made the couriers insanely busy. I wonder how much CP really hates the strike since they either own or have a huge stake in Purolator.

I've also noticed that all my Amazon.ca orders are coming via UPS from the US, not even Canadian warehouses.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

iv46vi posted:

Sorry, the plans for the weekend in Calgary fell through quite hard.

Also shipping stuff to Calgary is a poo poo show right now. Puro/Fedex/UPS won't commit to delivering by a deadline anymore. They'll take more of your money for a better level of service, but the packages themselves are all dumped in the same first come first serve queue. Not that they'd tell you that until after they got the package "placed in an inaccessible trailer that will be processed in sequence"

It's cool man, I guess we can install it on the Saturday before we leave.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

slidebite posted:

The whole Canada Post on again/off again strike has made the couriers insanely busy. I wonder how much CP really hates the strike since they either own or have a huge stake in Purolator.

I've also noticed that all my Amazon.ca orders are coming via UPS from the US, not even Canadian warehouses.

Smart idea if they did buy a stake in purolator, I know Deutsche Post owns DHL and they pretty much tell you to ship anything international through them since they aren't interested in subsidizing your shipping and they get the cash either way.

My Amazon order came from UPS as well, guess they're not taking any chances with this.

Its funny we had a guy come up to our office absolutely livid that he couldn't mail in his paramedical claim and was going on and on about "Those bloody unions and their strikes". Ended up mentioning that he was part of some public workers union plan :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Smart idea if they did buy a stake in purolator, I know Deutsche Post owns DHL and they pretty much tell you to ship anything international through them since they aren't interested in subsidizing your shipping and they get the cash either way.
I think Purolator Canada got spun off from inside Canada Post or something weird like that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

1500quidporsche posted:

My Amazon order came from UPS as well, guess they're not taking any chances with this.

Was the product itself coming from the US too or did it originate in Canada? My .ca orders all seem to be coming right from the US.

quote:

Its funny we had a guy come up to our office absolutely livid that he couldn't mail in his paramedical claim and was going on and on about "Those bloody unions and their strikes". Ended up mentioning that he was part of some public workers union plan :v:
Both the union and CP are playing some interesting public relation games with this one. CP asked for binding arbitration, the union didn't want it. The union is asking for a "30 day" cooling off period for negotiating/truce, CP is saying no. Parliament isn't in session so back-to-work legislation is not likely, and I'm not so sure the Liberals would do it even if it was.

This could go on for a while and is only going to push even more people, even :bahgawd: to go paperless where possible.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Mine shipped out of Ontario but I don't have prime.

Union strikes are funny business and all logic goes out the window once you get to the point of one happening. I remember as a kid when my dad went on strike he was grumbling after a the second month that even the most optimistic union demands weren't going to make up for the money lost from the length of the strike. I like a lot of things about unions but they aren't particularly good when it gets to the point where they actually strike.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I think Purolator Canada got spun off from inside Canada Post or something weird like that.

Wikipedia posted:

Purolator Inc. is a Canadian courier that is 91% owned by Canada Post Corporation,[1] 7% owned by Barry Lapointe Holdings Ltd. and 2% by others.
The company was originally organized as Trans Canada Couriers, Ltd. In 1967, it was acquired by the US manufacturer of oil and air filters Purolator of Fayetteville, North Carolina (founded as Motor Improvements Incorporated in 1923)[2]—the name was originally an abbreviated form of "pure oil later".[3] In 1987, the company returned to Canadian ownership. Although it retained the Purolator name, it has since had no connection with the oil filter business.
Interesting (from the point of view of this thread) point about the corporate history being linked to automotive stuff. But now they seem to be a pure pretty-much-anything later courier.

Some of my coworkers - early-20's women in graduate school in a Geography department - are amazingly ignorant about this kind of thing. OK, yes, they're vastly ignorant about a whole bunch of subjects (and, for the record, so am I), but the fact that FedEx, UPS, and Purolator are separate companies seems to have escaped their notice. I've managed to convince most of them to avoid UPS, though.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I was wondering why there were horse trailers ripping down the QE2 at 150kph yesterday, apparently there's some sort of rodeo event in calgary.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I made an express trip into Montana yesterday afternoon and there were quite a few heading North too.

And still oodles of car carriers full of pick ups heading south.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powershift posted:

I was wondering why there were horse trailers ripping down the QE2 at 150kph yesterday, apparently there's some sort of rodeo event in calgary.

Did you notice the armada of long time Calgary residents getting the gently caress out of town to hide out in the mountains until the country music and lovely beer fog clears up?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

Interesting (from the point of view of this thread) point about the corporate history being linked to automotive stuff. But now they seem to be a pure pretty-much-anything later courier.
They still make some of the better oil filters for Subarus.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Holy poo poo the entire population of retard island is starting to drive around Lethbridge showing off everything from genuinely awesome cars to laughably bad "show" cars and some which must be genuine troll cars. The Northside crappy tire parking lot is literally full of hillbillies polishing their pickups.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

slidebite posted:

Holy poo poo the entire population of retard island is starting to drive around Lethbridge showing off everything from genuinely awesome cars to laughably bad "show" cars and some which must be genuine troll cars. The Northside crappy tire parking lot is literally full of hillbillies polishing their pickups.

Alberta AI: Hillbillies polishing their pickups

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There is a UTV race event at that Calgary rodeo thing I think. Triple crown series. Some friends are competing in it. I'd like to go but my poo poo isn't race ready.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hey Powershift, are you going to that July 23 Calgary auction? They have a DeLorean of all things.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

Hey Powershift, are you going to that July 23 Calgary auction? They have a DeLorean of all things.

I don't know, a whole bunch of those classic cars are straight off a scuzzy dealer's lot, and i doubt any of them will actually sell.

e: they're asking FOURTY THOUSAND DOLLARS for that delorean.

http://www.kijiji.ca/o-posters-other-ads/51454742

Powershift fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jul 9, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Unless he is just some old guy liquidating his collection, yeah he is a dealer/curber or something.

That said, I'm digging the Lincoln with the gold plated valve covers and the unloved gen of T-Bird

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Hey Slidebite do you have any recommendation for greases for plain bearings? I had to switch to one on the kart because of the gearing and anything I try right now lasts about 30 laps before giving out. Wouldn't be a huge issue but getting the clutch drum off is a pain in the rear end.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Most plain bearings are either self lubricated or use oil. What's it made out of and where are you using it?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Its just plain copper and its just a bearing for the clutch drum on the PTO. Usually its a roller bearing but the 11 tooth gear is too small to fit that. I realize between the heat given off from the clutch and the chain this is something akin to turning water into wine but it would be nice to have something last at least 40 laps.

number 5.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

You know what I would try in that if I were you? An oil-lite bushing. Basically a sintered bronze, same type of material as is commonly used in pilot bearings for clutches at the end of the crank and other applications. Depending on the size you might be able to score one at Princess (they have a selection).

Baring that, probably something with at least a 425F rating. That teflon superlube grease would probably be good to try but you might just want to smear on a bit of whatever the highest temp stuff you have. I've got a tube in my garage, not that it does you a lot of good there.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/st-albert/1919-model-t-speedster/1180777846?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

" it has been sitting in shop for last two years so it's time to let someone else enjoy it 9500 and open to offers"

https://www.rbauction.com/1917-FORD-MODEL-T-Speedster?invId=9292965&id=ar&auction=EDMONTON-AB-20163060

"June 14, 2016, $8000"

So either he bought it back, or he paid $8000 for a useless piece of poo poo, and is now trying to get someone else pay $9500 for a useless piece of poo poo.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I seem to recall that those things were rather tedious to drive which might have been a factor in him selling it so soon. Guy probably thought he found himself a budget classic and then figured out that he had no clue how to drive it. Either way that's some pretty big balls asking for $1500 more

slidebite posted:

You know what I would try in that if I were you? An oil-lite bushing. Basically a sintered bronze, same type of material as is commonly used in pilot bearings for clutches at the end of the crank and other applications. Depending on the size you might be able to score one at Princess (they have a selection).

Baring that, probably something with at least a 425F rating. That teflon superlube grease would probably be good to try but you might just want to smear on a bit of whatever the highest temp stuff you have. I've got a tube in my garage, not that it does you a lot of good there.

I'll have to check those oil-lite bushings out. I've got an aersol can of that super-lube stuff from the last time I talked to you about bearings, never even thought to try it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If you go the superlube route, you will want grease not the spray. I don't know if the film would be good enough - doubt it.

I think a self lubricating bushing is probably what you want to try though. If I am able to get together with you guys next weekend I'll bring some.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

1500 isn't coming on the rally (even though his car totally qualifies and he should be :colbert: ). He can totally come hang out and throw wrenches on the team cars though.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

My bad - don't know why I thought it. Probably because of his car. :shobon:

They call them "Bronze busings" on their website, but the are oil impregnated bronze so it's what you want.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/b/driveline/driveline/power-equipment/power-transmission/bearings/N-njggm8

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

slidebite posted:

If you go the superlube route, you will want grease not the spray. I don't know if the film would be good enough - doubt it.

I think a self lubricating bushing is probably what you want to try though. If I am able to get together with you guys next weekend I'll bring some.

Yeah sorry I should've been more clear in using something teflon based. I'll get some measurements the next time I get a bearing out to try those oilite ones.

That car is very much alive with a very dead engine, I've got the week off so I'm going to make some calls about having the engine rebuilt.

I don't think I can make this weekend Slungblade, I ended up volunteering for wrenching on both days of Try a Kart so I'm going to be beat.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

1500quidporsche posted:

That car is very much alive with a very dead engine, I've got the week off so I'm going to make some calls about having the engine rebuilt.

Once you have your quotes, call me. There's some things you should be aware of regarding rotary builders in this province. (Please don't ask in the Alberta Rotary Facebook group, as an admin I don't want to deal with that questions shitstorm again.)

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slidebite posted:

My bad - don't know why I thought it. Probably because of his car. :shobon:

Because we were trying to convince him to come with us before.

1500: it's cool man, if you'd like to stop by for a beer or other cold drink once the kart event is done please feel free to do so.

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 11, 2016

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Looking at my scheduling this week I should be able to stop by later in the afternoon.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Awesome, bring a lawn chair. :cool:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So I went to the street weekend show and shine Sunday AM downtown. I think there was something like 400+ cars or some drat thing. Almost 900 took part in the Friday PM Cruise Night and they had to turn away almost 200 that tried to register in the last hour. A lot of people got all pissed off because they couldn't take their new off the showroom floor Mustang or Jeep SRT8 on a cruise of which there were already 5 identical vehicles registered.

I took a few random photos of the show and shine. It was sort of haphazard how it was done. Pay $10 and go find a spot. So you'd have a minty original 1940s or 50s car next to some blown on nitrous 1/4 mile car, next to a bike and then a ricer. So that was weird, but some of the stuff they had was fantastic, a lot was "meh" and probably shouldn't be there like some skyline with RIMZ and a stereo.

So some random pics I took, sorry about the crappy quality. I was walking with a few friends and took most of them just as a last moment thing with my phone so several are out of frame and too close but :effort: This really doesn't do justice to what was there, it was quite a mix. Tons of rare stuff, but also tons of common stuff. There were tons of muscle (Mustangss, and Camaros,Firebirds, vettes) but even some real rarities, like Capris, beautiful cougars and unloved vintages of T-Birds, at least 5 internationals, a Lambo, DeLorean, and some really loved old family cars.

My friend had his Prowler about 100' from this vette and the ground shook like the rapture was occurring when he fired it up. He also had 2 big nitrous bottles in the back of that thing to go with the big gently caress-off blower.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
nice

where are the porches

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Only 1 porch in the show and shine, a 996 cabriolet but they're not real porches so no photo :v:

There was supposedly a slantnose turbo in the Friday night cruise, but I guess in the evening when he put the headlights on it was all :pwn:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

Only 1 porch in the show and shine, a 996 cabriolet but they're not real porches so no photo :v:

There was supposedly a slantnose turbo in the Friday night cruise, but I guess in the evening when he put the headlights on it was all :pwn:

996 cab? :barf:

Im guessing that slant nose was a body kit

If you can afford an actual slant nose turbo and you don't fix something cheap and easy like the lights, you're an abomination to God and man

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Had to drop by the detail shop to get something out of the car. The fellow doing the polish on it is the owner himself. He says it should be done by late tomorrow afternoon and it already looks great. The guy says he loves working on something like it because it's got quality factory paint still and the black, while difficult, gives a real sense of accomplishment once its done because it's so readily apparent when black paint is done well. Guys doing a top notch job, everything masked that he didn't want polished and I can't wait to see the finished product tomorrow. They did the crack in the front lip and it looks new.

These guys have always done good work for me, I'll post some pics once I get it back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Got it back, wanted to take a couple of glamor shots this evening but the weather was so lovely I roasted coffee and took a photo of it in the garage instead. I'm really happy and they even did a good job filling in some rock chips that they didn't even charge me for.

The Potenza RE71R's have arrived at Costco so I get some new boots up front to match the rear tomorrow... and get rid of the ancient 10+ year old P-Zeros. The Costco guy called me to tell me they were in and he said "so... yeah, um, what kind of car are these going on?"

I'm just bringing in the rims though as I want to crawl around under it and check the front end while its on stands in the garage.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 14, 2016