Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A story where memories of the spec bucket incident somehow cleanses the mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Thanks Ants posted:

A story where memories of the spec bucket incident somehow cleanses the mind.

Though that one's still pretty bad.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I just setup and shipped out a windows XP machine :negative:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

BaseballPCHiker posted:

What was the name of that recording that was an old british senile guy that people would play back to phone scammers and what not? He'd be perfect to put on a conference call.

"Hello, this is Lenny"

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ZetsurinPower posted:

I never understood the appeal of IT people keeping energy drink cans on their desk like some kind of trophy kill. Are they just trying to be as repulsive as possible?

yes.

Edit: although I do recycle the redbull cans. (I buy them by the case)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I also see that person stores hardware in a sensible, reliable fashion.

Oh thats you, you are a loving slob.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

I've never had one of those clips fail me. Seems reasonable.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I had over 350 Double Gulp cups at my parents' back in high school because I thought it was funny, but I had the good sense to wash them out first.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Methanar posted:

I just setup and shipped out a windows XP machine :negative:

Just last week I had to advise a customer on how to virtualize their XP and Server 2003 environment.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Sickening posted:

There was once a guy at my work who would eat vienna sausages for lunch every day and then drink the water from the can. He would then place the can in his desk and nobody noticed until their was ants and every drawer was filled to the brim with the empty cans.
I wish my wife would let me buy a boat so I could motor away from this story.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I wish my wife would let me buy a boat so I could motor away from this story.
Maybe the ones you've shown her are just too expensive. What's your price for flight?

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I love just getting paid big bucks to laugh with friends and learn cool stuff and play ping pong... IT is so great!!!!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sickening posted:

I also see that person stores hardware in a sensible, reliable fashion.

Oh thats you, you are a loving slob.

heh... those are actually fried video cards. More trophies.

Someone managed to actually pop the heatpipe on those.

The heatsink is supposed to be flat. not curved like that.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

FirePro 2270?

I used to have a shelf of those things with exploded heatsinks.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I had a couple of those too. Some old dual monitor ATI card found in slim OEM machines.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Vulture Culture posted:

Maybe the ones you've shown her are just too expensive. What's your price for flight?

Well played. :golfclap:

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

psydude posted:

Just last week I had to advise a customer on how to virtualize their XP and Server 2003 environment.

(I added two 256mb sticks of ddr1 ram as an upgrade)

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Sickening posted:

There was once a guy at my work who would eat vienna sausages for lunch every day and then drink the water from the can. He would then place the can in his desk and nobody noticed until their was ants and every drawer was filled to the brim with the empty cans.

I once encountered this. A guy was lactose intolerant and his wife would put cheese slices in his lunch. Well, they would just fit in this little slot right above the optical drive and he just kept cramming them in there for over a year. There was always a funk in his office that you couldn't quite place, but it's hard in the business world to be all like "Hey, man. Do you wash?" if you aren't their boss. :v:

Then one week, he went on vacation. By Friday, someone needed something from his desk and went in and came out screaming. Apparently, there was a giant WWI-style troop column of black ants under his desk. The janitor came over and vacuum them up and said "It looks like they are coming from the computer!" and I was called.

At the time, I was an idiot help desk guy so I walked it back to my workbench instead of doing the proper thing and rigging it with explosives. Upon arriving, I found I had a small swarm of ants all over my stomach where the box was resting. I immediately stripped that shirt off and threw it away (always keep a spare, guys! :eng101: ) and then dropped the tower into a box to contain a few ants. After a few minutes of the heebie jeebies with my brain telling my body that there had to be at least 50 million more ants on it everywhere, I was starting to get a headache from the smell, so I dabbed a bit of Vaporub on my nose and proceeded to open it.

The proper word is "exploded" when I popped the side off. The ants came rolling down the sides marched out on the top of the size plate, and flooding the box and going crazy. I was worried they would just keep spreading out from the box when a co-worker showed me the neatest trick I had learned to that date: Cinnamon powder is like a cross between smelling salts and nerve gas to most ants. If you put it down, they will avoid it and if you dump it on them, they will act like you just melted their minds for a few moments before dying.

So, after he created a powder ring against evil spirits on the bottom of the box, I pulled the side off with some pliers and beheld the terror. There was crusty cheese, melty cheese, and oil everywhere. The ants had actually done an ant-farm-tunnel thing to the cheese while harvesting it and the smell was so powerful, the vaporub did nothing to save me. I dumped every bit of cinnamon powder in the jar over as much of that thing as possible. When that obviously wasn't enough to kill everything in there, I basically wrote it off. No one disagreed with me as no one wanted to touch it.

Come Monday morning, the guy was all like "I don't know how that happened! I must have been setup! The smell over the last months wasn't actually there!" and other such niceties. Then he claimed that the owner set him up to avoid paying him the bonus by ruining his current contract work, which the owner was butthurt about and fired him for saying so. Then they came back to me and demanded I recover everything on that computer.

I was fired for refusing to work on that hell tower to recover the 'extremely important' work documents as it was right after the owner's rampage against ant man and he wasn't taking prisoners. He was apparently sorry for firing me after they showed him the computer, but not sorry enough to offer my job back. :(

So.... Thanks Ants! :v:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Arsten posted:

:tipshat:

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

:respek:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Arsten posted:

I once encountered this. A guy was lactose intolerant and his wife would put cheese slices in his lunch. Well, they would just fit in this little slot right above the optical drive and he just kept cramming them in there for over a year. There was always a funk in his office that you couldn't quite place, but it's hard in the business world to be all like "Hey, man. Do you wash?" if you aren't their boss. :v:

Then one week, he went on vacation. By Friday, someone needed something from his desk and went in and came out screaming. Apparently, there was a giant WWI-style troop column of black ants under his desk. The janitor came over and vacuum them up and said "It looks like they are coming from the computer!" and I was called.

At the time, I was an idiot help desk guy so I walked it back to my workbench instead of doing the proper thing and rigging it with explosives. Upon arriving, I found I had a small swarm of ants all over my stomach where the box was resting. I immediately stripped that shirt off and threw it away (always keep a spare, guys! :eng101: ) and then dropped the tower into a box to contain a few ants. After a few minutes of the heebie jeebies with my brain telling my body that there had to be at least 50 million more ants on it everywhere, I was starting to get a headache from the smell, so I dabbed a bit of Vaporub on my nose and proceeded to open it.

The proper word is "exploded" when I popped the side off. The ants came rolling down the sides marched out on the top of the size plate, and flooding the box and going crazy. I was worried they would just keep spreading out from the box when a co-worker showed me the neatest trick I had learned to that date: Cinnamon powder is like a cross between smelling salts and nerve gas to most ants. If you put it down, they will avoid it and if you dump it on them, they will act like you just melted their minds for a few moments before dying.

So, after he created a powder ring against evil spirits on the bottom of the box, I pulled the side off with some pliers and beheld the terror. There was crusty cheese, melty cheese, and oil everywhere. The ants had actually done an ant-farm-tunnel thing to the cheese while harvesting it and the smell was so powerful, the vaporub did nothing to save me. I dumped every bit of cinnamon powder in the jar over as much of that thing as possible. When that obviously wasn't enough to kill everything in there, I basically wrote it off. No one disagreed with me as no one wanted to touch it.

Come Monday morning, the guy was all like "I don't know how that happened! I must have been setup! The smell over the last months wasn't actually there!" and other such niceties. Then he claimed that the owner set him up to avoid paying him the bonus by ruining his current contract work, which the owner was butthurt about and fired him for saying so. Then they came back to me and demanded I recover everything on that computer.

I was fired for refusing to work on that hell tower to recover the 'extremely important' work documents as it was right after the owner's rampage against ant man and he wasn't taking prisoners. He was apparently sorry for firing me after they showed him the computer, but not sorry enough to offer my job back. :(

Equal parts :golfclap: and :stonk:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Arsten posted:

:stare:

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Why didn't you just say yeah sure and then state it was impossible? What year was this?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

a cop posted:

Why didn't you just say yeah sure and then state it was impossible? What year was this?

Mid 1999. And, no, I was still in complete revulsion. I'm pretty sure if I had gone "Sure, I'll take a look at that" my own arms would have beat me to death.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Got a couple of conference trips I need to burn by end of the year. Any recommendations? US only unfortunately.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

jaegerx posted:

Got a couple of conference trips I need to burn by end of the year. Any recommendations? US only unfortunately.

Defcon and black hat.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

Defcon and black hat.

Prefer ones that won't get my credit card stolen from. Hashicon is my first choice that I've seen so far

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

jaegerx posted:

Prefer ones that won't get my credit card stolen from. Hashicon is my first choice that I've seen so far

Defcon is cash only at the door. :v:

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

ratbert90 posted:

Defcon is cash only at the door. :v:

I don't have a rfid protected wallet. I'd have to wrap my holy body in foil and wipe my laptop hourly.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

jaegerx posted:

I don't have a rfid protected wallet. I'd have to wrap my holy body in foil and wipe my laptop hourly.

Nah, Defcon has been cool for several years now.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Nah, Defcon has been cool for several years now.
Mostly because the whole place is carpeted in feds. :haw:

A lot of the interesting stuff has passed this year already, but Hashiconf is good, Strange Loop has some really fun topics, Velocity NYC is in September.

e: there's PuppetConf in October also

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Vulture Culture posted:

Mostly because the whole place is carpeted in feds. :haw:

A lot of the interesting stuff has passed this year already, but Hashiconf is good, Strange Loop has some really fun topics, Velocity NYC is in September.

e: there's PuppetConf in October also
Hashi and velocity it is. Office is in New York so that's an easy call

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Take a SANS course.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm on the plane to Cisco Live right now. IT Goons, please remember to practice good hygiene when you're traveling. If not for yourself, then for the sake of everyone else around you.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

psydude posted:

I'm on the plane to Cisco Live right now. IT Goons, please remember to practice good hygiene when you're traveling. If not for yourself, then for the sake of everyone else around you.

I refuse. I need my "me" space when I travel. I eat garlic and onions for five days before I travel anywhere!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Also lots of asparagus so you can leave your scent behind on the airplane toilet.

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 9, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Long haul airplane bathrooms are the stuff of nightmares by the end.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

If you've seen the nightmare, the nightmare has seen you.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

It only takes 30 minutes:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...our-toilet.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
fart

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 23, 2018