Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
in fact bastion is a pretty good pick on defense sudden death if you're anticipating a winston stack from your opponents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

keyframe posted:

Yea unless you are hopping on a bastion that has like 10 hp left the bastion will win the fight against winston every single time.

:regd08:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Zoness posted:

quick play matches by a hidden quick play mmr value. level isn't factored in at all.

Quick play is great because losses mean nothing. Enemy team just starting to cap the second point with 10 seconds left? gently caress it, bail, eat the loss and learn not to waste any effort next time.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Yep, Winston might in fact be literally the worst pick against Bastion. Maybe Mercy is worse? But at least her gun has range.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Overwatch PS4: try countering bastion as winston

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Nihilarian posted:

Yep, Winston might in fact be literally the worst pick against Bastion. Maybe Mercy is worse? But at least her gun has range.

I've taken out Bastion as Mercy before :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dk-1--1fcQ

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Kehveli posted:

Welcome to competetive gaming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYGpiuGT0MI&t=12s

I can't remember any of the quake 3 video names, but you saw some insane poo poo back then.

Are these people hitting headshots before the game even renders the movement fast enough to show that they were aiming at them? Nearly all of these show the person die like at least 400ms before the crosshairs even get to the player model

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Are these people hitting headshots before the game even renders the movement fast enough to show that they were aiming at them? Nearly all of these show the person die like at least 400ms before the crosshairs even get to the player model

There's probably more than a little goofiness with visual vs network rendering.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Zikan posted:

I've taken out Bastion as Mercy before :colbert:

Yeah, Mercy's actually decent against Bastion depending on the map. I've killed a bunch of 'em on Hanamura B if they're sitting in the back corner -- Mercy has no damage dropoff and bastion has a bunch so at extreme range you can just plink 'em down with a full clip if they're too dim to reposition and heal.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

instagibbing tracers with genji combos feels good

i've managed to train myself to reflexively m2->melee->dash when i see that stupid hair on my screen

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Note: Never play competitive on Friday night

Have you guys noticed certain times of day or days of the week have more awful players than others?

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Yeah, any time you're playing

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Ehud posted:

Have you guys noticed certain times of day or days of the week have more awful players than others?

School's out during those periods.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I learned from playing LoL that pretty much the only time to play is afternoon on a weekday. Otherwise, well, good luck, because it'll be a complete crapshoot.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Corbeau posted:

I learned from playing LoL

:eyepop:

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Ehud posted:

Back when Master Overwatch tracked wins and losses per day, I noticed that my win-loss record would plummet on Friday and then I would gradually build it up all week to what it was the previous week, only for Friday to plummet it back towards 50% again.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
in house going on: https://www.twitch.tv/whatspeakyou

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Is there a way to get in on these? Do you rotate people in or ?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Combo posted:

Is there a way to get in on these? Do you rotate people in or ?

Join the discord server in the first post in this thread and you'll get to play!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778249

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

PerrineClostermann posted:

Oh man, this 1070 is incredible. Silky smooth solid 60 FPS, with maximum settings on everything (including AA) and 150% scaling for 1080p :catdrugs:

I am captain overwatch.

Only 60 fps? :smug:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I am so dangerously unchill right now because the game kept reinstancing and rematching random pubs with a premade that kept trashing us and being assholes in chat.

Why the gently caress do they keep premades in the same queue as the rest of us?

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

PerrineClostermann posted:

Oh man, this 1070 is incredible. Silky smooth solid 60 FPS, with maximum settings on everything (including AA) and 150% scaling for 1080p :catdrugs:

I am captain overwatch.
Such great cards! Anyone with a similarly powerful gpu and a 60Hz screen should look into enabling nvidia fast sync when it becomes available in their drivers: it's an optimised triple buffer v-sync solution that eliminates tearing while also minimising input latency :)

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

So whats the deal with rank, it seems like I lose less than i gain so if I stay even ill very slowly climb ranks. Is that how they have it designed?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I am so dangerously unchill right now because the game kept reinstancing and rematching random pubs with a premade that kept trashing us and being assholes in chat.

Why the gently caress do they keep premades in the same queue as the rest of us?

Why don't you queue with a premade to combat the other premades?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

I did it, my lowest rating yet 49!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

flashman posted:

So whats the deal with rank, it seems like I lose less than i gain so if I stay even ill very slowly climb ranks. Is that how they have it designed?

I've seen the opposite, I'm at exactly 50% win rate in comp and had my initial rank drop. That might be because a good portion of my wins have had leavers, though.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

flashman posted:

most people complain about the exact opposite, actually

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

teagone posted:

Why don't you queue with a premade to combat the other premades?

Hold on, is this where I compare premades to hitler so that we can have this dumb argument all over again? I lost my notes on how to post in this thread.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Hold on, is this where I compare premades to hitler so that we can have this dumb argument all over again? I lost my notes on how to post in this thread.

in a shocking twist, dumb complaints trigger dumb arguments

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

in a shocking twist, dumb complaints trigger dumb arguments

I disagree that a premade being lovely and telling all the pubs they suck and should uninstall is a dumb complaint, but you do you.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I disagree that a premade being lovely and telling all the pubs they suck and should uninstall is a dumb complaint, but you do you.

it already prefers matching premades against premades, and only broadens the search if it can't find any.

giving people who play a team game as a team a huge time penalty for doing it right is dumb as hell

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it already prefers matching premades against premades, and only broadens the search if it can't find any.

giving people who play a team game as a team a huge time penalty for doing it right is dumb as hell

2 things

1, people who play together aren't being penalised for playing with friends, they're trading in the solo queue experience for the group play experience, which is better unless your friends suck, and the tradeoff is that you have longer queues. Another way of saying this is that solo queuers are being punished because premades are impatient. We'll probably have to agree to disagree on this.

2, I genuinely thought this was the bitching thread because I can't tell the difference between that and this thread anymore

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

1, people who play together aren't being penalised for playing with friends, they're trading in the solo queue experience for the group play experience, which is better unless your friends suck, and the tradeoff is that you have longer queues. Another way of saying this is that solo queuers are being punished because premades are impatient. We'll probably have to agree to disagree on this.

It's absolutely a penalty, and if group play is the superior experience, people should be as encouraged to group up as much as possible. There's no point in incentivizing an inferior way to play the game.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's absolutely a penalty, and if group play is the superior experience, people should be as encouraged to group up as much as possible. There's no point in incentivizing an inferior way to play the game.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that by far more people solo queue than organize groups which means from Blizzard's perspective there absolutely is a point in incentivizing it because they know what side their bread is buttered on.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Good job, other team.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that by far more people solo queue than organize groups which means from Blizzard's perspective there absolutely is a point in incentivizing it because they know what side their bread is buttered on.

That's probably why they went with an equitable compromise that emphasizes fast queues over basically everything else, instead of something idiotic like locking premades into their own queue.

Time spent not playing the game is a much greater downside than a modestly unfair match, especially if you're concerned with player retention.

e: And that's assuming that the premade actually represents an unfair match, which it very often actually won't, and will in fact be six goons doing their best impression of being six strangers. You just notice the games where that's not the case more. Conversely, nobody can miss a five-minute queue.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 9, 2016

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I'm only gonna play competitive for the rest of the season it's up. Only solo.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Vastly more annoying is how after doing both an attack and defense on Volskaya me and my teammate were reinstanced, the game queued us into another Volskaya attack where we got absolutely murdered, then we backed out because we didn't really feel like playing against them for defense, whereupon it put us in a completely different Volskaya attack.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

It's a dumb argument because it's a dumb complaint :shrug: There's a very obvious solution to your problematic gaming experience, and fortunately there's even a goon discord for you to join up with others so you don't have to solo queue all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Demos in csgo are usually lower tick recordings than the actual game server it was played on, which means that it can miss flicks easily.

edit: lol if we ever get demos in this game and its 20 tick servers and 10 tick demos.