Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

One of the songs is a Black remix that features Oppa Gangnam Style.

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I've been listening to this for over an hour
I
can't stop

help

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah, you're really not going to get to ever see Karkat get over the self hating a little bit and step up as the Actually Okay Leader he was and finally contribute.

this is loving disheartening

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

That very conversation is confirming Karkat becomes the Troll King. Just saying.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Karkat, king of trolldom
population 32

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
it seems more heavily alluded to being a messiah like figure.
nevertheless, it feels like a very strange denouement to the guy who was deuteragonist for so long to not do anything on the climax, deluding himself after beating a loving gnome or whatever, and then bumbling his way into leadership.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It seems pretty appropriate to me.

Karkat spent his time in Sburb, and most of his childhood, obsessed with the idea of being a giant badass and becoming leader of the group based on his leadership skills, by which he meant combat skills. Ever since it became obvious that these skills are fake fake fake, he (and by extension large portions of the Homestuck fanbase) were waiting for the moment when he would Unlock His Hidden Potential and become magically good at fighting, and win a fight in order to save Terezi or defeat Spades Slick or something.

It turns out life doesn't work like that. Karkat's contribution to the final battle is to defeat exactly one member of the Felt in a solo battle. Clover has a really good power, so this isn't actually completely pathetic, but it's fairly minor. (See also Jake, who people kept expecting to display Unprecedented Hidden Power, but no, it turns out that you can leave him alone and he'll perform reasonably well for a demigod and that's pretty much it.)

Basically, Karkat was telling himself (and us) a story about who he was supposed to be, and he was completely wrong. In the end, he actually did have hidden talents, really amazing and unique abilities, but they're for something totally different that won't come up until he's an adult.

(it is his destiny to become a mayor)

EDIT: This, it seems to me, is the main theme of Homestuck: that we're constantly being tripped up by our own narratives about how our lives are supposed to go.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

To be fair, that gnome's whole shtick was being so incredibly lucky that you'd never get a good hit on him.

Unless you're hitting him in some way that's not particularly unfortunate for him, but I don't really see how that could ever happen.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 9, 2016

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i think i posted already about it, im not sure now, but yeah, his thing is coming to terms with not being strong or a warrior or unimportant, or whatever. It was built up but despite that, it feels sad that his one chance to do something marginally useful, especially for one that was a protagonist for so long, is pretty much denied. That doesn't mean actually killing anything, like he said, if he could save someone from death that's gravy. I just hoped he'd be more relevant.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
eh, whatever, it doesnt matter, the real karkat died a long time ago.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Clover's power still saved him though, he got lucky and fought the weakest person there. That's the joke, it's still not an actual win for Karkat.

And besides, Karkat HAD gotten over his ideals of being the big badass leader as far back as Act 5.2. He had instead flipped to the far other side of it, where he saw himself as the biggest failure, a persona who could accomplish nothing of worth. Except then the other troll say things like "No you were a good leader. You got us all to work together, you got us all in that game together." so the story sets up that Karkat's growth wasn't done, that him accepting that he was just some loser wasn't right and that's not the whole truth of karkat and his ability to contribute and help.

But then the retcon happens and Karkat accepts, yet again, that no actually he just sucks and will not be able to actually help so he's happy with just being about to do a small inconsequential thing and because everything from game Over forwards was so rushed the reader is left having to believe that that was accurate and true, meaning all the "No KK you were a good friendleader" and Karkat realizing he couldn't just sit there and do nothing was utterly pointless.

I think Dave lost a lot of the spark that made him fun in the retcon but Karkat's entire character and personality was stripped clean of anything of worth by it.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ArfJason posted:

eh, whatever, it doesnt matter, the real karkat died a long time ago.

Yup, burned to death in a volcano.

I guess that's what happens when you're too hot blooded! (studio audience laughes and applauds)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I feel like "accept that you aren't particularly skilled, but recognize that you want to contribute anyway, not for glory, or for any particular utility, but so that you can say that you did" is actually better character growth than "decide that you were actually good in the face of available evidence and get your friends to back you up."

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Rand Brittain posted:

I feel like "accept that you aren't particularly skilled, but recognize that you want to contribute anyway, not for glory, or for any particular utility, but so that you can say that you did" is actually better character growth than "decide that you were actually good in the face of available evidence and get your friends to back you up."

It's not when Karkat's entire issues with leadership was that he didn't think anyone listened to him and then in return he really didn't listen to anyone else. Even in the post retcon world He angrily denies it when kanaya just offhandedly mentions "You were actually pretty okay as a leader."

Hell going from "I'm a great badass and leader, why won't you listen to me?"->"I am weak and pathetic and contribute nothing"->"I am weak but that doesn't mean I can't contribute and help keep you guys working together" is a way better arc than ending it with "I am weak but I will do anything if it that means I technically contributed." The former at least lets him acknowledge all those things all the other characters tried to tell him while the latter reads like an excuse to not think about all the previous character stuff.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 9, 2016

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Hell going from "I'm a great badass and leader, why won't you listen to me?"->"I am weak and pathetic and contribute nothing"->"I am weak but that doesn't mean I can't contribute and help keep you guys working together" is a way better arc than ending it with "I am weak but I will do anything if it that means I technically contributed." The former at least lets him acknowledge all those things all the other characters tried to tell him while the latter reads like an excuse to not think about all the previous character stuff.

The former means he's still trying to push the rock up the hill; the latter means that he has the opportunity to move on and do something different with his life.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
at least everyone from the game over timeline got to embrace the quiet dignity of death

apart from rose who became the single worst thing in homestuck

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

WAR FOOT posted:

at least everyone from the game over timeline got to embrace the quiet dignity of death

apart from rose who became the single worst thing in homestuck

And for no real reason!

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

And for no real reason!

No it was very important that she turned some dead guy into an eternally tortured omnipotent superbeing because

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rand Brittain posted:

It seems pretty appropriate to me.

Karkat spent his time in Sburb, and most of his childhood, obsessed with the idea of being a giant badass and becoming leader of the group based on his leadership skills, by which he meant combat skills. Ever since it became obvious that these skills are fake fake fake, he (and by extension large portions of the Homestuck fanbase) were waiting for the moment when he would Unlock His Hidden Potential and become magically good at fighting, and win a fight in order to save Terezi or defeat Spades Slick or something.

We were actually waiting for him to accept that he was terrible at violence but a good leader in other ways, and then use those skills to everyone's benefit instead. The only thing standing in his way were his colossal self-esteem issues.

Instead, his big climactic moment is...winning a fight, albeit an incredibly petty one, allowing him to continue to delude himself that his "original" goal had been achieved. It wasn't just bad, it was demeaning.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

ArfJason posted:

it seems more heavily alluded to being a messiah like figure.

Literally Karkat's backstory is being the second coming of The Sufferer, a spiritual leader raised by a virginal mother who was tortured and killed for preaching the virtues of peace, whose arrival on their planet would herald the end of days, but sure THAT conversation is what established him as a messianic figure

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Let me just re-emphasize that one more time.

Karkat is literally Troll Jesus.

This was established in Act 5, which many of y'all consider to be the pinnacle of Homestuck's good writing.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

Literally Karkat's backstory is being the second coming of The Sufferer, a spiritual leader raised by a virginal mother who was tortured and killed for preaching the virtues of peace, whose arrival on their planet would herald the end of days, but sure THAT conversation is what established him as a messianic figure

HMM, MAYBE WHEN I WAS TALKING ABOUT ALLUSIONS TO A MESSIANIC FIGURE I PROBABLY MEANT THAT EXACT PART WHERE ITS A PLAY BY PLAY OF THE loving BIBLICAL MYTHOS OF LORD AND SAVIOUR JESUS CHRIST, NOT THE OFF HAND CONVERSATION THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT.
FUNNY YOU MENTION IT

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i swear, what with the eager fanfiction consumption and poo poo like this, you guys might be legally retarded

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

ArfJason posted:

i swear, what with the eager fanfiction consumption and poo poo like this, you guys might be legally retarded

we're not locked in here with you
you're locked in here with us

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I will literally, physically, unironically, IRL kill anyone who says a bad word about Fiction Inspector or Futastuck.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

ArfJason posted:

HMM, MAYBE WHEN I WAS TALKING ABOUT ALLUSIONS TO A MESSIANIC FIGURE I PROBABLY MEANT THAT EXACT PART WHERE ITS A PLAY BY PLAY OF THE loving BIBLICAL MYTHOS OF LORD AND SAVIOUR JESUS CHRIST, NOT THE OFF HAND CONVERSATION THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THAT.
FUNNY YOU MENTION IT

Then you picked a strange page to link to to illustrate your point.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
where did i use that post to support my argument, it was to highlight how sad his arc got. i hadnt even mentioned jesus until later, when a guy mentiones karkat becomes a king or whatever

they are two entirely different posts how are you this loving dense

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
*arfjason links to a scenic painting*
mr post guy: Ah, what a nice painting, shame hitler then went on to become a vicious man, could have used his talents for that instead of becoming a kaiser.
me: It's fuhrer. And yeah, it sucks. To be honest, the german people should have not been swayed by him, and shouldnt have turned a blind eye to the atrocities committed during the nazi dictatorship.
cool homestuck man: Well, first, those are acrylics. Second, how is that painting of a house supporting your thesis here?

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Oh man this wonderfully supportive Homestuck Recovery Forum seems like the best time to post my new tentative Opinions About Homestuck.

I just decided to torment myself again and go through everything between Collide and ACT 7, and discovered yet another thing to complain about. Collide was a good, I might even say great end to the STRIFE! element of Homestuck, even if it was only a small aspect. But in the end, the last few seconds or so, the audio and visual distortion after the moment of victory make it seem like an ominous end to the flash. I'm sure I noticed that the first few times I watched it, but because I hadn't touched it since the end, I had completely forgotten. I remember expecting something sinister and when it didn't come I lumped that in with the rest of the disappointments of Act 7.

But maybe that's not the case. Maybe Futastuck has jostled something loose in me to genuinely believe there might be more to Homestuck beyond an vaguely promised but still unlikely epilogue. Another ending that actually makes sense? Maybe a "good ending" Hussie will release after he's finally free of the admittedly terrible pressure he's under now?

I've waited an embarrassingly large portion of my life for more Homestuck. I think I can wait the rest of my life for the ending of Homestuck accept Futastuck as the true ending of Homestuck.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

ArfJason posted:

*arfjason links to a scenic painting*
mr post guy: Ah, what a nice painting, shame hitler then went on to become a vicious man, could have used his talents for that instead of becoming a kaiser.
me: It's fuhrer. And yeah, it sucks. To be honest, the german people should have not been swayed by him, and shouldnt have turned a blind eye to the atrocities committed during the nazi dictatorship.
cool homestuck man: Well, first, those are acrylics. Second, how is that painting of a house supporting your thesis here?

Far more rational is to make an all-caps post about what is at most a benign misunderstanding and then immediately follow it up with an assertion that you're the only level-headed one here.

And, again, not a man.

Plom Bar fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 9, 2016

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
It was an allusion to the character of karkat vantas, who overreacts in all caps

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Torgover posted:

Oh man this wonderfully supportive Homestuck Recovery Forum seems like the best time to post my new tentative Opinions About Homestuck.

I just decided to torment myself again and go through everything between Collide and ACT 7, and discovered yet another thing to complain about. Collide was a good, I might even say great end to the STRIFE! element of Homestuck, even if it was only a small aspect. But in the end, the last few seconds or so, the audio and visual distortion after the moment of victory make it seem like an ominous end to the flash. I'm sure I noticed that the first few times I watched it, but because I hadn't touched it since the end, I had completely forgotten. I remember expecting something sinister and when it didn't come I lumped that in with the rest of the disappointments of Act 7.

Yeah, I dunno what was up with that either.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

ArfJason posted:

It was an allusion to the character of karkat vantas, who overreacts in all caps

It was pretty good. Let's roleplay together sometime

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Next time you try to be snide try to make sure youre not misunderstanding i guess!

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

ArfJason posted:

"I was doing a bit, it was roleplaying, by the way fanfiction is bad"

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
how is an allusion roleplaying.

are you feeling alright dude

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
talking in a thick austrian accent to joke with a friend = writing the next exciting chapter in slash fiction of the terminator vs predator

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Plom Bar posted:

"I was doing a bit, it was roleplaying, by the way fanfiction is bad"

lol

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Torgover posted:

But maybe that's not the case. Maybe Futastuck has jostled something loose in me to genuinely believe there might be more to Homestuck beyond an vaguely promised but still unlikely epilogue. Another ending that actually makes sense? Maybe a "good ending" Hussie will release after he's finally free of the admittedly terrible pressure he's under now?

I've waited an embarrassingly large portion of my life for more Homestuck. I think I can wait the rest of my life for the ending of Homestuck accept Futastuck as the true ending of Homestuck.

Yeah, many people have noticed a lot of ominous foreshadowing in not only the end of Collide, but also Act 7 and the pages leading up to it. My two guesses as to why all that foreboding stuff is there are:

A) Things are not what they seem. The epilogue will reveal a final twist that ties everything together.

B) Hussie planned to do one final twist, but halfway through writing everything out he stopped caring. He decided to wrap the story up as quickly as possible and didn't bother going back and editing out all the hints of something more because he was just so loving sick and tried of Homestuck. The Epilogue well be a photo copied picture of his butt.

At this point I feel both of these theories are equally valid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Any twist will be something on the fly. Hussie very clearly intended for Homestuck to end with Act 7, and the edit to include a disclaimer of some nebulous epilogue vaporware was added after people started spontaneously combusting upon realizing there wasn't another page.