Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

MrSlam posted:

How could anyone go wrong with cock-flavored anything? How did it taste? Also, what's your go-to fried chicken recipe?

Indeed :) It was bought as a gimmick present for me by the wife, but it's a nice seasoned salt with a Carribean twist (chili, ginger and herbs).

Not got a fried chicken go-to. Loved the Nashville style, but this time it was just beer-batter, paprika, chili, salt and pepper.

Plus the cock seasoning on top :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
This was the thickest cut of Pork Chop I've ever attempted and I am happy to say I nailed it.

Over 2" thick. I did a little marinade of oil, chili, paprika, rosemary, garlic, Coriander, Thyme and star anise. Gave it a good hard sear in in cast iron with Kerrygold butter then finished in the oven at 425F. Turned out a perfect barely pink. I'm happy :)

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 9, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
This weekend I made Switchel! An old timey 18th Century ""energy"" drink. It's water, molasses, ginger, and apple cider vinegar. It's not bad! Dad wanted me to make him some for his graveyard shift hence why it's in the water bottle.

I also made beef jerky, dried in the oven! It's pretty good, but I realize now I like the taste of the marinade more than the beefiness of the jerky so I should've marinated it longer. it's fine just the way it is. I forgot to mention this before but I added some Balsamic Vinegar to the marinade because we had it and I think that was a great idea.

Farking Bastage posted:

This was the thickest cut of Pork Chop I've ever attempted and I am happy to say I nailed it.

Over 2" thick. I did a little marinade of oil, chili, paprika, rosemary, garlic, Coriander, Thyme and star anise. Gave it a good hard sear in in cast iron with Kerrygold butter then finished in the oven at 425F. Turned out a perfect barely pink. I'm happy :)

Just gorgeous

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jul 10, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Also, I made Persian Style Rice with real $12.99 Saffron! It's a really delicious technique I'm definitely making again sometime soon! Also in the shot, a delicious Corn Chowder my dad made. Didn't think to take a picture til I was on my second bowl.

1. Soak the rice for a half hour
2. Parboil it for 7 minutes
3. Heat some olive oil on medium
4. Place 1 layer of sliced potatoes on oil
5. Season with salt and cumin
6. Lightly shovel rice on top of potatoes with slices of butter on top
7. Cover with paper towel and lid
8. Set heat to low, steam 45 minutes
9. Mash saffron strands and bloom with hot water
10. Pour saffron water on top

Best part is the crispy rice that got in between the potatoes. If you time it right the potatoes get crispy too.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Did a casserole with sausage/chorizo/red wine/butterbeans/spinach/tomatoes and all the rest because I was feeling sorry for myself after a particularly punishing work shift (boo hoo woe is me). Hearty things are healing (and so is a paprika overload), if not particularly pretty.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Another round of biscuits. I did two batches this weekend one regular and one sourdough.

Here's the regular:

And the sourdough:

Regular was much lighter and fluffier, but man the sourdough tastes really good. The sourdough recipe I'm using, all the moisture comes from the sourdough. I think I need to up the plain flour, half the sourdough and use some milk to top off the moisture to get them a bit fluffier and then I'll have something.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Those both look really nice to me.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Long time since I dumped a bunch of pizza pics here. Been going pretty crazy making pizza twice a week since I got my pizza oven. I've gone pretty much full sperg on the Neapolitan pizza making. Doing plenty of traditional Margheritas and Marinaras but a bunch of out there stuff too.

Some standouts:

Sauce: Crushed Strianese San Marzano tomatoes
Toppings: Fresh mozz, romano, pesto
Notes: Lazy Margherita. Fresh basil in the garden and at the store were all lovely, so pesto it was. Was good, but too soupy.

Sauce: Doro Wot sauce
Toppings: Sous vide berbere chicken, eggs
Notes: loving awesome. Did a batch of doro wot on Thursday and had a bunch of sauce left. Will 100% do this again.

Sauce: Marinara
Toppings: Meatballs, Mozz, Parm
Notes: Leftover meatballs and sauce. Really good, but so thick and hearty that the crust was really lost. Will probably not do this one again. It basically just felt like "why did I bother making this pizza instead of just eating the meatballs?"

Sauce: Savory chili sweet potato puree
Toppings: Oak grilled ancho marinated chicken thighs, cotija cheese, cilantro, chipotle/lime crema salvadorena
Notes: REALLY loving good. Not much else to say on this one.

Sauce: Saag
Toppings: Paneer cheese
Notes: Leftover saag paneer that I cooked down a little more. Made into a calzone. Pretty awesome. I want a place to sell these on the street downtown when it's cold. So hearty, so warm, and actually really clean to eat, no drips.

Sauce: Caramelized onion balsamic jam
Toppings: Buttermilk blue cheese, arugula, balsamic, prosciutto
Notes: Very good. Needed something to sweeten a little more against all the salt. Have more stuff, so will try some shaved pears on it today.

Sauce: Chimichurri (3/4 cilantro, 1/4 mint)
Toppings: Shaved sous vide lamb, provologne, more chimichurri
Notes: Definitely the favorite that I have made so far. Spicy, garlicky, sweet, savory, salty, buttery lamb. Just loving awesome. Very proud of this one.

Sauce: Brine
Toppings: Mozzarella
Notes: Boobs

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jul 10, 2016

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I'm pretty sure you've perfected pizza, friend.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I want all of that in my mouth.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
:holymoley:

since i don't have a pizza oven but can sous vide how did you do the lamb?

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Morepics

Made Red Beans and Rice

Here it is in the proto Holy Trinity stage. This is as pretty as this is going to get

Now it's boiling, the only difference I made was using Ham Shanks instead of a Ham Hock

Here it is near the end, you can see how much it's reduced in 3-4 hours of cooking, and that I've been mashin' beans

And here's the final product all plated up, absolutely delicious

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Doom Rooster, I mean this in the nicest possible way: go gently caress yourself.

So. Hungry.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Lovely pizzas, would love to eat any one of them.

Today I porked out. Since it's grilling season, what better way than to make a chipotle and bacon double cheeseburger with a side of Jack Daniels.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Thanks for the kind words! Not perfect yet... Ordering some new floor tiles with lower thermal conductivity so that I can cook hotter without burning the bottoms. Also probably going to pull the trigger on a Bosch Universal mixer since the Kitchenaid with dough hook is actually really lovely at kneading this hydration of dough.

Jose: The lamb was really simple. Sous vide the lamb loin at 132 for 2 hours with a few tablespoons of your favorite chimichurri recipe (Don't put any fresh garlic in the chimichurri until after you have taken some sauce out for the lamb cook. Fresh garlic sous vide tastes bad, just add some to the sauce that you're going to serve over the top)

The chimichurri that I used was roughly the following:

2 large bunches cilantro
1 medium bunch mint
1 handful fresh oregano
1 large fresno chile (seeded)
3 cloves garlic (see note above)
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon salt

Tastes way better after a solid 24 hours.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Roasted a Leg of Pork (Or as it's known in my corner of the States, a Fresh Ham). Not a great picture, but the crackling was wonderful. Served with purple potato mash, brussel sprouts roasted crisp in the rendered pork fat, apple and quince sauce and a gravy. Dear My Corner Of America. Stop sending all the Fresh Hams to be Hams. You're missing out. It's Chicharrón with the pig still attached. Glorious stuff.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I need emergency pork right now, fresh from the pig

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
had a taco night all by myself

bummer dude
Jun 20, 2004

duuuude

paraquat posted:

had a taco night all by myself

I'm triggered

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Chipotle pork tenderloin and chili roast potatoes.

Currywurst.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Spaetzle, my take on goulash, cucumber dill and sour cream salad, semmelknodel, regular salad. I German'd the gently caress out.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Ranter posted:

Spaetzle, my take on goulash, cucumber dill and sour cream salad, semmelknodel, regular salad. I German'd the gently caress out.

Your spaetzle looks like uncoated Cheetos and I'd eat the poo poo out of them.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I like to put big slices of salted butter in-between spoonfuls of the spaetzle as I take them out of the water. So they're coated in delicious buttery salty goodness.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I like to fry them in butter lighty for a little while. Crisp them up a bit.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
If you're going down that path instead of just delicious buttery noodles for your sauce, then throw in some parsley and grilled onions too.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Ranter posted:

Whoah...looks amazing

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Spaetzle fried and then slathered in cheese sauce and then blitzed under the grill is best heart attack.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
420 deutsche hausmannkost every day.

had some 54°C/90min dangerous pork shoulder and a nice riesling

welcome to the -=°danger zone°=-

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Buffalo cauliflower pizza with cheddar and feta. Pre-made dough from a local bakery because I'm lazy. Came out surprisingly well considering I don't have a pizza stone/steel.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Serendipitaet posted:

had some 54°C/90min dangerous pork shoulder and a nice riesling

Eberbach or I will fight you. :mad:

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 16, 2016

Spicy Soba Noodles
Apr 1, 2014

I started training in the pastry station at my new job. Learned how to make pāte ą choux, specifically creampuffs.

This was my fourth time, and my first time doing it at home.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Spicy Soba Noodles posted:

I started training in the pastry station at my new job. Learned how to make pāte ą choux, specifically creampuffs.

This was my fourth time, and my first time doing it at home.

Wow - How did you get the cream inside the shrimps?

Spicy Soba Noodles
Apr 1, 2014

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Wow - How did you get the cream inside the shrimps?

Wha? I just cut them in half and spooned the cream in. It was not very pretty.

Also they aren't shrimps.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

It's not the best fried chicken I've ever tasted, but it's the best I've ever made

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

I knew there had to be a thread like this somewhere!
Late night cravings, so I made myself a midnight snack:

I deliberately made way the hell too much rice, so I can make some fried rice tomorrow.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Not last night, but Friday:

Chorizo hash, with corn, jalapeno, and black beans. I meant to add in some red onion but forgot. Hopefully the bar lighting isn't too detrimental.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Free range local chicken deboned and stuffed with red onion roasted over sliced apples. Apples and dripping used to make sweet gravy.
https://imgur.com/iWa7BgB

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Roast Leg of Lamb crusted with Rosemary, Anchovies and Roast Garlic (served with Fennel Soubise, Broad Beans, Balsamic Tossed Golden Beetroot)

Skate Wing, Caper Brown Butter, Potatoes and Fennel Fronds, Green Beans (that were purple in the garden but sodding turn green when cooked)

pnau
Aug 20, 2006
Thai Beef Salad from last night .....

Tonight its porterhouse steak with au poivre sauce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Kadai paneer with homemade paneer cheese and naan bread.

It was my first time making each item, and while there were a few things I'd change it was delicious and had that just-right level of heat where you start to sweat near the end but don't feel like your mouth is on fire. Also making the cheese was fun and amazingly easy.

• Locked thread