Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

dongsbot 9000 posted:

any bot that has minibots instead of more armor is prolly a piece of poo poo driven by morons

Shaman is cute you bastard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Maybe it was just straight battery acid?

Yeah, that's what I assume it went for but it was sort of a fitting way to go, if it had to.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's a seeding upset but Witch Doctor mostly lucked into its ranking anyway.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

For those wondering, the saw on Red Devil cut directly into Witch Doctors lipo battery.

Amusingly enough, Jerome, the builder of Red Devil, had this happen a few years ago at Motorama in Harrisburg, PA with a 30lb bot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WfcKp99dFo&t=49s

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

PBS Newshour posted:

I AM SURE BRUTUS AND CHOMP ARE GOING TO CAUSE SOME HUGE UPSETS

Calling it, semifinals are:
Warhead v Colbalt
Chomp v Overhaul

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MikeNCR posted:

For those wondering, the saw on Red Devil cut directly into Witch Doctors lipo battery.

Amusingly enough, Jerome, the builder of Red Devil, had this happen a few years ago at Motorama in Harrisburg, PA with a 30lb bot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WfcKp99dFo&t=49s

I am super excited for this event and can't wait to go.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Dongsbot - 3 Points
Minotaur (3)
Captain Shrederator (0)
Cobalt (0)
Escape Velocity (0)

Pakled - 3 Points
Tombstone (0)
Hypershock (0)

Red Devil (3)
Mega Tento (0)

Xelkelvos - 3 Points
Bronco (3)
Complete Control (0)
Warrior Dragon (0)
Ringmaster (0)

Beer4TheBeerGod - 3 Points
Bite Force (0)
Yeti (3)
Poison Arrow (0)
Nightmare (0)

SLICK GOKU BABY - 0 Points
Stinger (0)
Ghost Raptor (0)
Overhaul (0)
Lockjaw (0)

Toadstyle - 0 Points
Son Of Wyachi (0)
Bombshell (0)
Razorback (0)

Blacksmith (0)

DOOP - 0 Points
Icewave (0)
Beta (0)
Warhead (0)

Chrome Fly (0)

PBS - 0 Points
Witch Doctor (0)
Brutus (0)
Chomp (0)

Lucky (0)

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Maybe it was just straight battery acid?

No one uses lead-acid batteries that could leak. For one, they're illegal after one robot did leak acid all over the floor in an early season of battlebots; you are allowed to use sealed lead acid batteries, which use a stabilized gel instead of liquid inside. But the main reason is that lithium batteries have the best performance per pound than any other battery chemistry by far. I've seen a lot of lipo fires before but drat, I've never seen smoke that thick and dense from one.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Can't believe that fight went just like the Red Devil guy said it would. His plan sounded so far-fetched.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

PBS Newshour posted:

OK, if Witch Doctor loses here I am screwed.

Dude you shouldn't have drafted Witch Doctor it lost to the 30 seed lol

smh

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I've been saying it since season 1: Witch Doctor is overrated as hell.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pakled posted:

I've been saying it since season 1: Witch Doctor is overrated as hell.

But they almost beat Tombstone in season 1?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

IMO, it's like this
Grapple > Drum spinner > Bar spinner > Body Spinners/Flipper > Hammer > Grapple

Drum spinners have an offensive durability advantage if both spinners make contact since its own spinner can better deflect the blade than its body could. It comes down to piloting at a certain point, but ultimately, bar spinners are at a disadvantage weapon to weapon.

Otoh, the Witch Doctor team is full of idiots since Shaman is/was/will always be a bad idea if the alternative is better armor.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Witch Doctor was overrated as hell but they still should've done better than that. Not going for the heavy armor wedge and having a really stupid sounding plan with the minibot instead was only a bit less of a suicide than Red Devil's last opponent.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Wish I had the skills to stabilise this a bit.

Loved the thick smoke flowing along the floor.

Better maybe:

Gromit fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 8, 2016

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

TheChad posted:

Dude you shouldn't have drafted Witch Doctor it lost to the 30 seed lol

smh

SHUT UP CHAD

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

On these forums Witch Doctor is underrated, not overrated (though yeah it still shouldn't have gotten that high up in the seed)

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I love Minotaur and the sound it makes when it's fully spun up. That fight against Blacksmith was about as methodical a thrashing that i've seen on the show; just one part after another flying off of it.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Witch doctor is pretty good when it doesn't have shaman, and shaman itself is a fun bot.

I'm sad Lucky is gone, I'm going to miss their red outfits and freeze frames of a waving Canadian flag while that one guy from New Hampshire yells "Canada!"

Anyway let's take a look at the

Fantasy Bots Update

Yeti (Beer4TheBeerGod) Defeats Lucky (PBS Newshour) by KO
Beer4TheBeerGod earns 3 points

Minotaur (Dongsbot 9000) Defeats Blacksmith (ToadStyle) by KO
Dongsbot 9000 earns 3 points

Bronco (Xelkelvos) Defeats Chrome Fly (DOOP) by KO
Xelkelvos earns 3 points

Red Devil (Pakled) Defeats Witch Doctor (PBS Newshour) by KO
Pakled earns 3 points

Beer4TheBeerGod, Dongsbot 9000, Xelkelvos and Pakled are all tied with 3 points. ToadStyle and DOOP have each lost a bot, PBS Newshour has lost 2.

As always, here is the link to view the current status of the fantasy teams

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Gonz posted:

I love Minotaur and the sound it makes when it's fully spun up. That fight against Blacksmith was about as methodical a thrashing that i've seen on the show; just one part after another flying off of it.

It's really everything you would want from a robot fighting match.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It has come to my attention that although Minotaur's fight against Blacksmith was declared a KO on TV and Blacksmith was clearly unable to operate, the official battlebots website has listed it as a judges decision.

Apparently time ran out just before Blacksmith could be officially knocked out. I'm not sure exactly what to do in this situation, but I think since the official listing has it as a decision, I should amend the points accordingly.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
fair

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

It has come to my attention that although Minotaur's fight against Blacksmith was declared a KO on TV and Blacksmith was clearly unable to operate, the official battlebots website has listed it as a judges decision.

Apparently time ran out just before Blacksmith could be officially knocked out. I'm not sure exactly what to do in this situation, but I think since the official listing has it as a decision, I should amend the points accordingly.

You're the commissioner, and more importantly you're not involved in the actual scoring in a league that doesn't matter. We bow before your absolute authority.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You're the commissioner, and more importantly you're not involved in the actual scoring in a league that doesn't matter. We bow before your absolute authority.

The Battlebots website has a fantasy league and I think the reason the result is a decision on the website is for that, so I ended up going with it.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

That was a pretty amazing lipo fire from witch doctor. Man that arena is going to be stinking for a while after that one. Lipo fires smell awful.

It had me thinking though If any of the bits have their packs running in parallel so as to be able to potentially survive a battery fire. Lipo fires aren't that aggressive so if you had the packs firewalled well enough it should be doable.

You would ideally need a battery controller monitoring each pack that can disconnect the pack from the pool so that the good pack isn't trying to balance with it.

EDIT:

Holy poo poo mini battlebot RC toys https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCXOzG-GBRw :swoon:

mashed fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 8, 2016

GraceGarland
Jul 4, 2003

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

The Battlebots website has a fantasy league and I think the reason the result is a decision on the website is for that, so I ended up going with it.

Woop!

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

ToadStyle posted:

Oh god, not Blacksmith.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Has a hammerbot ever really worked? It doesn't seem to do all that much damage.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
What if you used a hammer with a spike in the middle of the head? It'd use the force of the hammerblow to drive the spike into the opposing bot and do some damage.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot

RBA Starblade posted:

Hammer is mostly for points or hoping your opponent is an idiot and brings a useless minibot instead of top armor(for instance).

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

JT Jag posted:

What if you used a hammer with a spike in the middle of the head? It'd use the force of the hammerblow to drive the spike into the opposing bot and do some damage.

The problem is if you miss and poke a hole in the floor, like The Judge used to do when it debuted. The organizers don't like it when you do that. It falls under some generic "can't do excessive damage to the arena" rule, which does neuter most hammerbots.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's what I figured. The ones that do hit the floor are all flat or rounded.

The ones with points don't seem to strike all the way down.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I know Robot Wars is a different series and all, but I want to see Sir Killalot again

Sir K v Bronco would be one good fight

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Didn't Robot Wars have a melee at the end? Because Battlebots should definitely do that.

Drowning In Terror
Dec 10, 2008
You know Robot Wars is starting again this month right?? Not sure if that's what you're referencing as no one really talks about it here. Looking forward to Razor being destroyed by some spinner anyway.

http://www.robotwars.tv/house-robots/

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

mashed_penguin posted:

That was a pretty amazing lipo fire from witch doctor. Man that arena is going to be stinking for a while after that one. Lipo fires smell awful.

It had me thinking though If any of the bits have their packs running in parallel so as to be able to potentially survive a battery fire. Lipo fires aren't that aggressive so if you had the packs firewalled well enough it should be doable.

You would ideally need a battery controller monitoring each pack that can disconnect the pack from the pool so that the good pack isn't trying to balance with it.

I seem to remember that Chaos 2 from the UK Robot Wars had some sort of passive fire suppression system. Like some tubes that rupture in a fire and release a suppression agent. I'm surprised you don't see them used here, but I guess people figure if there's a fire then their bot is dead anyway so who cares?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Killalot would probably be wrecked pretty badly by quite a few of the robots in this competition. It was pretty slow, with its major advantage being the obscene weight. It's nearly 5 times the limit for Battlebots.

Super top heavy too.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

They've worked across a pretty wide range of weight classes, it's mostly down to getting them dialed in for the style of hammering you're going for. I tend to lean toward less power per swing, but able to swing much more often in an attempt to find something important. Usually that something is a drive chain/belt.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Aphrodite posted:

Killalot would probably be wrecked pretty badly by quite a few of the robots in this competition. It was pretty slow, with its major advantage being the obscene weight. It's nearly 5 times the limit for Battlebots.

Super top heavy too.

I feel like Tombstone / SoW would completely annihilate his treads and just pick him apart from there.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Drowning In Terror posted:

You know Robot Wars is starting again this month right?? Not sure if that's what you're referencing as no one really talks about it here. Looking forward to Razor being destroyed by some spinner anyway.

http://www.robotwars.tv/house-robots/

ohboyohboyohboy :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Minotaur owns, watching it systematically destroy another bot owns. And that was a sick hit on Witch Doctor by Red Devil.

:ohdear: at Son of Whyachi flying 6 feet in the air in the previews. But it doesn’t surprise me. The original SoW was 315 lbs carrying a 120 lb weapon; the new one is still carrying a 120 lb weapon but in a 250 lb bot while also spinning it twice as fast.

• Locked thread