Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Captain Apollo posted:

Ferret king: Does ATC have the current ability to tell which airplanes are equipped with ADSB and those that aren't?

Yes. It's pretty recent and most of us in the terminal environment don't enable the feature ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Recent to all facilities or a major places like you're at now?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

In enroute, ADS-B out equipped airplanes will display an uncorrelated limited data block with a callsign, which is a little confusing, since previous to ADS-B, the only way to see a callsign was to input it into a flight plan, in some way. It confuses the hell out of bad controllers, and is extremely amusing,

CONTENT:

Base ops building at KFMY. Their T-6 has a ceiling fan. Yes, of course it was running.

:v:

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Captain Apollo posted:

Recent to all facilities or a major places like you're at now?

It's a recent addition to the STARS radar interface/display. So, Corpus has it, Waco doesn't. The map in the radar systems post shows who has STARS. ADSB is rolling out to those facilities on a timeline I'm not fully aware of.

It does absolutely nothing for us right now.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

It does absolutely nothing for us right now.

As a clarification, in ERAM, we can display it, but ADSB isn't an eligible sensor for separation purposes.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
What's the point of the ADS-B mandate, from an ATC point of view?

For those unaware, all airplanes flying in "controlled" airspace need ads-b out capabilities by 2020.

I feel weird that my N number is on permanent display even in radar. Hopefully that doesn't translate somehow to flightaware.com but I've heard that ADS-B out can be turned on and off by the pilot somehow.....

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I'll let you know in 2020 if we are then able to use ADSB for separation.

Presently, it means nothing to us.

I think there are some oceanic center sectors using it to allow for closer spacing in areas with no radar coverage. Those are fringe cases, and also not terminal, so I couldn't offer much information about them.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

From a flow control perspective, it's potentially huge, since enormous tracts of airspace that are currently non-radar with 10min separation standards will suddenly become "radar," with regular 5 mile separation standards. It will allow the Atlantic routes from South Florida to the northeast to remain open more, even with weather. (Right now, any weather along those routes generally shuts them down, since ATC can't really approve deviations in non-radar airspace.) The same goes for routes over the Gulf of Mexico. It also allows uncontrolled traffic to self-separate from other uncontrolled traffic, which is personally one of my favorite features.

In an ideal world, where ADS-B out was compulsory, it would mean far more complete picture of uncontrolled traffic, allowing for better decisions for controlled traffic. That isn't the case though, since ADS-B out is only required in airspace that currently requires a mode-C transponder. (I see the point of that decision, and I mostly agree with it, but compulsory equipage would have been AMAZING.)

ADS-B surveillance is also a MUCH more precise sensor, since the position data is derived from the aircraft's GPS receiver, which is often accurate to within a single meter. Compare that to the precision of primary and secondary surveillance radar, which often disagree noticeably even when the secondary antenna is literally attached to the primary antenna, and are co-rotating. There's a reason our lateral separation standards are THIRTY TIMES greater than our vertical standards...

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I heard some horrible figure recently that the actual physical location of an aircraft coincides within the lateral limits of the displayed target on the screen (the dot/symbol representing the aircraft) only ~40% of the time. The remaining time, the aircraft is near the target marker but not touching or contained within it.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
On the subject of multiple instructors during one's training, most of my time has been split between the chief instructor and the next most senior guy where I learn, with a couple of flights now with a fairly newly-minted guy. They all have slightly different ways of doing certain things (e.g. downwind checks) which can be slightly annoying when you've developed a flow but it's nothing major. Overall I have found that each one of them has at on time or another given me a different insight into something and I can roll all of their respective bits of advice into one ball of useful stuff.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Well, just got hired at Endeavor :toot:. I felt bad for the Captain giving the presentation going over his early regional career at sub-20k while us applicants were sitting pretty coming in at 50. My hats off to the "lost generation" for slogging it out over the last decade. I was lucky enough to spend it, instead, doing all sorts of acro and warbird flying for a lifetime's worth of awesome memories. Now it's time to take to the air with Canadair!

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Welcome aboard! It's a pretty good place to be right now. Going to NYC? I'll be upgrade training in August for the 200 at JFK. Build your time as fast as you can. Two year upgrades and dropping rapidly.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Hey man congratulations that's awesome.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

MrYenko posted:

From a flow control perspective, it's potentially huge, since enormous tracts of airspace that are currently non-radar with 10min separation standards will suddenly become "radar," with regular 5 mile separation standards. It will allow the Atlantic routes from South Florida to the northeast to remain open more, even with weather. (Right now, any weather along those routes generally shuts them down, since ATC can't really approve deviations in non-radar airspace.) The same goes for routes over the Gulf of Mexico. It also allows uncontrolled traffic to self-separate from other uncontrolled traffic, which is personally one of my favorite features.

In an ideal world, where ADS-B out was compulsory, it would mean far more complete picture of uncontrolled traffic, allowing for better decisions for controlled traffic. That isn't the case though, since ADS-B out is only required in airspace that currently requires a mode-C transponder. (I see the point of that decision, and I mostly agree with it, but compulsory equipage would have been AMAZING.)

ADS-B surveillance is also a MUCH more precise sensor, since the position data is derived from the aircraft's GPS receiver, which is often accurate to within a single meter. Compare that to the precision of primary and secondary surveillance radar, which often disagree noticeably even when the secondary antenna is literally attached to the primary antenna, and are co-rotating. There's a reason our lateral separation standards are THIRTY TIMES greater than our vertical standards...

Best display option ever on the new bus is traffic ID. We can in uncontrolled controlled airspace (Greece, NAT, etc) self separate as we can see each others ground speed and call sign and correlate between ourselves. Honest we don't regularly now try and maintain .81 cruise, 330 on conversion in the 321 to overtake the competition :D

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Ferret King posted:

I heard some horrible figure recently that the actual physical location of an aircraft coincides within the lateral limits of the displayed target on the screen (the dot/symbol representing the aircraft) only ~40% of the time. The remaining time, the aircraft is near the target marker but not touching or contained within it.

Sounds about right. I've seen primaries and secondaries for the same airplane that aren't even touching.

(That sector runs on a 65nm scale, for those with adjustable display scales.)

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Never a dull moment in naval aviation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-EHwYOfY94

(no ejection seats on the E-2 [or C-2] btw)

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 9, 2016

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

overdesigned posted:

Holy. loving. poo poo.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I bet they had to toss those flight suits in the incinerator.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
loving mad props to those pilots

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
God drat. I wonder if they got into ground effect and surfed that plane back in the air.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

overdesigned posted:

Nope, but you can see the open ditching hatch, just in front of the rear rotodome pylon on the right side. This is why that's kept open for takeoff and landing!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Jesus. Is it true that standard procedure is to go to full throttle as soon as you touch down just in case you don't catch the cable or something like that happens? If so, well, it seems like it was well-advised.

Animal posted:

I bet they had to toss those flight suits in the incinerator.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
I'm assuming no CVR on that as well, right? Cause holy poo poo I'd love to hear the conversation in that cockpit. :stare:

Hope nobody got nailed by the retreating cable chunks.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

PT6A posted:

Jesus. Is it true that standard procedure is to go to full throttle as soon as you touch down just in case you don't catch the cable or something like that happens? If so, well, it seems like it was well-advised.

Yeah. To quote a guy from the Aeronautical Insanity thread:

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Normal landing configuration is 2/3 flaps, and you go to max power as soon as you hit the deck. If the cable snaps like that, you go full flaps and raise the gear. Fortunately the stall speed with full flaps/gear up/max power is like 65kts, but that was a loving pro recovery.

Duke Chin posted:

I'm assuming no CVR on that as well, right? Cause holy poo poo I'd love to hear the conversation in that cockpit. :stare:

Correct, no CVR, I'm willing to bet it was something along the lines of "GEAR GEAR GEAR GET THE FLAPS FULL FLAPS poo poo poo poo WHAT THE poo poo".

quote:

Hope nobody got nailed by the retreating cable chunks.

Eight people got hurt, some pretty seriously. They had to medevac them to an ER in Norfolk. That cable is a real motherfucker when it snaps.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Eight people got hurt, some pretty seriously. They had to medevac them to an ER in Norfolk. That cable is a real motherfucker when it snaps.

That sucks. I remember a handful of dudes getting pretty jacked up from that classic F/A-18 cable snap youtube that always gets posted around here/Aeronautical Insanity.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Next question: if the cable snaps like that, what does the aircraft do after recovering? Is the arresting system still operational after a cable snaps, or do they have to divert?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

PT6A posted:

Next question: if the cable snaps like that, what does the aircraft do after recovering? Is the arresting system still operational after a cable snaps, or do they have to divert?

Pretty sure there are like 4 or 5 cables just in case the pilot misses the first one

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

two_beer_bishes posted:

Pretty sure there are like 4 or 5 cables just in case the pilot misses the first one

Third one. They shoot for the 3rd.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

PT6A posted:

two_beer_bishes posted:

Two different things here. Yes, there are multiple cables, but after a cable snap like that they're going to divert everyone (as they did in this case). They're now dealing with injured people on the flight deck, potentially dangerous damage to equipment (lots of things that can burn or explode if a whipping cable hits them), and they don't know if whatever caused one cable to fail could be affecting others as well. For qualification training like this was, they're right off the coast so it's very easy to fly back to shore if anything goes wrong.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Yes, but is the system considered serviceable with one cable missing (even though there are multiple cables)?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Almost all have four wires but one (two?) of the carriers is a three-wire boat but I can't remember which. They all have a spare cable housing though, I think, I'm guessing so if one does break they can re-rig to the new housing.

e: and each cable attaches to its own arresting engine. The others will work, you'll be able to land still with one broken.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

PT6A posted:

Yes, but is the system considered serviceable with one cable missing (even though there are multiple cables)?

In normal operation, sure. They'll periodically strip one of the cables for maintenance and just have 2 or 3 wires up (older ships like Ike can rig up to four cables at a time, newer ones only have three).

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
http://avherald.com/h?article=49adef6e&opt=0

Lol the real pilots at mainline can gently caress up too.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Two Kings posted:

Welcome aboard! It's a pretty good place to be right now. Going to NYC? I'll be upgrade training in August for the 200 at JFK. Build your time as fast as you can. Two year upgrades and dropping rapidly.

Nah, no way me or my wife wanna move to NY. But we're very evenly split between Minneapolis and Detroit. Is it true from your perspective what they told us in the pep rally, that I can be virtually certain of bidding and getting the base I want within 6 months of starting, if I don't get it initially?

Congrats on your upgrade! When did you start?

Captain Apollo posted:

Hey man congratulations that's awesome.

Thank you!

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Rickety Cricket posted:

http://avherald.com/h?article=49adef6e&opt=0

Lol the real pilots at mainline can gently caress up too.

Delta seems to have a knack for timing their screwups to be eclipsed by much bigger news stories happening the same day.

Back in May, Delta had a 767 get intercepted by F-16's near Greece after it failed to respond to radio calls for 30 minutes, but because that was only a few hours after EgyptAir 804 crashed, it got almost zero media attention, and the events in Dallas last night likely kept the Ellsworth incident out of the news as well.

Kind of surprised this isn't a conspiracy theory yet.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

overdesigned posted:

JFC, I totally thought he was going in the drink. That's insane.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

azflyboy posted:

Delta seems to have a knack for timing their screwups to be eclipsed by much bigger news stories happening the same day.

Back in May, Delta had a 767 get intercepted by F-16's near Greece after it failed to respond to radio calls for 30 minutes, but because that was only a few hours after EgyptAir 804 crashed, it got almost zero media attention, and the events in Dallas last night likely kept the Ellsworth incident out of the news as well.

Kind of surprised this isn't a conspiracy theory yet.

Dont forget a few years back when the nw guys (premerger) overflew their destination by an hour and got a ton of media coverage, delta landed on a taxiway in ATL like a day later and got completely ignored. It really is odd

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jul 9, 2016

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

vessbot posted:

Nah, no way me or my wife wanna move to NY. But we're very evenly split between Minneapolis and Detroit. Is it true from your perspective what they told us in the pep rally, that I can be virtually certain of bidding and getting the base I want within 6 months of starting, if I don't get it initially?

Congrats on your upgrade! When did you start?

Thank you!

That's how it has been lately. The movement should continue pretty steadily between the guys leaving for Delta and the new hires.

I started in Late 2014.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

There was a lot of discussion of that cable failure in GiP back when it happened, which led to this wonderful slice of instructional filmmaking. I wince every time I see someone towing a vehicle with rope now.

https://youtu.be/LGH_GUbdTeQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Just completed my first oceanic crossing, PSM - HHN. I can't say I memorized all the little steps. Time to find some German beer and see what Tinder has to offer.

• Locked thread