Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Ice Fist posted:

Started playing this game last night. At first I was winning every game with my little Erie and I was like 'wow I'm really loving good at this game' and then I realized I had been playing computers the whole time, swapped to playing real people and I don't think I won a single game since.

I am not good at this game.

Edit: Although it is really really fun. I'll probably hop on Discord tonight and be taught to be not bad by goons or otherwise hide my badness by being in a division

Edit 2: The moment I head the sound of a full salvo firing in this game I was hooked.

If your account level isn't too high yet, you can use a referral link like this one to get some sweet free stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Free Texas?! They're getting generous

e: wait I didn't ruin that link by opening it did I? I wanted to see what swag they were offering these days

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

wdarkk posted:

If your account level isn't too high yet, you can use a referral link like this one to get some sweet free stuff.

Thanks I will definitely do this.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I'll play some lowbie badships with you icefist :3

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Ice Fist posted:

Edit 2: The moment I head the sound of a full salvo firing in this game I was hooked.

There are few things as satisfying as firing a full salvo from a battleship into someone's guts and killing them from full health. The sound design is undeniably awesome.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

wdarkk posted:

Really annoyed they add this like a day or two after a friend started playing again since CBT :mad:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Insert name here posted:

Really annoyed they add this like a day or two after a friend started playing again since CBT :mad:

If his account level isn't too high it'll still work.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Just had some shitlord in an Arizona trying to snipe from the back of spawn with a New York against 2x Fuso and 3x Kongo, and was unaware that being at the top of the list did not make him the best player in the battle, rather the highest tier battleship left alive. Annoying part was those Japanese battleships were so bad he farmed a high calibre, but my Ognevoi still nearly beat the useless fucker without a survival bonus.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

wdarkk posted:

If his account level isn't too high it'll still work.
Yeah but unfortunately he's already like account level 8 or 9 or something cause we played a hell of a lot.

E: I totally forgot how lovely the accuracy of lower tier BBs is. When I came back to this game about 2 months ago I already had a New York so low-tier BBs weren't in recent memory. Friend got a South Carolina so I decided to get the Kawachi since I've already gone up the US BB tree thinking "eh it can't be that bad". Then I proceeded to dunk every shell I had into the water.

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jul 8, 2016

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Insert name here posted:

Yeah but unfortunately he's already like account level 8 or 9 or something cause we played a hell of a lot.

E: I totally forgot how lovely the accuracy of lower tier BBs is. When I came back to this game about 2 months ago I already had a New York so low-tier BBs weren't in recent memory. Friend got a South Carolina so I decided to get the Kawachi since I've already gone up the US BB tree thinking "eh it can't be that bad". Then I proceeded to dunk every shell I had into the water.

Wait till you get the myogi. That thing is so bad. 6 guns with crappy low tier dispersion.

Speaking of dispersion though, that atsf video mentioned a 2.0 sigma on the warsprite while the other tier 6s was listed at 1.5. Does anyone know where that list is concerning other ships as well? I think I saw someone mention a 1.8sigma ship around tier 5 or 6 as well? Mainly I'm curious where the nikolai stands and if that is part of the reason it is considered overpowered (along with that armor scheme of course).

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
A couple of patches old but here's the sigmas for BBs: https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/4jw6i5/bb_sigma_values_0551_live/

Also the Arizona has a 1.8 sigma in 0.5.8, down from its 2.0 in 0.5.7, but it might have been an unintentional change maybe?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Sigma only refers to vertical dispersion though, horizontal dispersion is also important when considering overall accuracy.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
I'm iffy on them putting the dunkirque at T7. It seems like every other T7 would take it out behind the woodshed. 8x13.5" guns with less armour than a Fuso seems like a bad fit at T7. It seems more like a T6 or even T5 to me.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Insert name here posted:

A couple of patches old but here's the sigmas for BBs: https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/4jw6i5/bb_sigma_values_0551_live/

Also the Arizona has a 1.8 sigma in 0.5.8, down from its 2.0 in 0.5.7, but it might have been an unintentional change maybe?

Oh wow. No wonder the new mex feels terrible for me. 1.5 sigma compared to 1.8 on the new york and colorado? :laffo:

Also, nikolai is 2.0 like the warsprite, except at tier 4. Ishi is also 2.0 though at the same tier, but isn't as armored or has as many guns. Welp, that explains why the nikolai seems so strong and why the devs said it was too powerful to sell again.

While at it, note that change from the kongo to the fuso to the nagato. No wonder people feel off about the fuso. I know this is just the vertical, but it is interesting none the less.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Gorau posted:

I'm iffy on them putting the dunkirque at T7. It seems like every other T7 would take it out behind the woodshed. 8x13.5" guns with less armour than a Fuso seems like a bad fit at T7. It seems more like a T6 or even T5 to me.

Bow-on meta. If 16" can't overmatch its bow (IE it has at least 29mm of bow armor) then it's practically invincible to BBs.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Bow-on meta. If 16" can't overmatch its bow (IE it has at least 29mm of bow armor) then it's practically invincible to BBs.

Yup, which the superfiring 2x quad turrets support.

In other news, I found out that replays do still work, but not correctly at all. And it only works on patch 5.8 replays. Older replays will no longer play on the 5.8 client. Shame wargaming can't keep that straight. Of course, the replay recording option has been around for over a year now and is still an ini hack to implement (one they themselves support and tell how to do).

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
So say I'm a dumb retard who wants to continue up the US CV tree, anyone have any advice? I'm running 1/1/1 on my indy right now and will probably stick with that, but I'm at a loss for what to do once I hit the Ranger (and lex since they share squadron loudouts). 2/0/2 is obviously out, and I'm not too happy with 1/1/1 Ranger being a squad down. Should I just bite the bullet and roll 0/1/3 and try to fly around anyone bringing fighters? Cry when I meet a Saipan? Just say screw it and grind IJN CVs instead?

Gorau posted:

I read that it's going to be a T6. Did a dev or someone correct and say it was T7?

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008

Insert name here posted:

So say I'm a dumb retard who wants to continue up the US CV tree, anyone have any advice? I'm running 1/1/1 on my indy right now and will probably stick with that, but I'm at a loss for what to do once I hit the Ranger (and lex since they share squadron loudouts). 2/0/2 is obviously out, and I'm not too happy with 1/1/1 Ranger being a squad down. Should I just bite the bullet and roll 0/1/3 and try to fly around anyone bringing fighters? Cry when I meet a Saipan? Just say screw it and grind IJN CVs instead?

I read that it's going to be a T6. Did a dev or someone correct and say it was T7?

I must have misunderstood. I thought it was set for T7. If it's T6 it'll be much better.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

Insert name here posted:

I finished the Ranger with a decent win rate by going full strike. Usually, I'd start each match by spreading out all of my bombers across the map and poking at targets of opportunity. After you see where the enemy CV's fighters are at, just keep sending your bombers off to wherever he's not paying attention. I find this strategy works really well against enemy CV players that are of average to below-average skill, but I'd still occasionally get shut down by players that knew what they were doing. Although it's important to remember, if a fighter spec CV shoots down all of your planes by the end of the match, but you still manage to score high damage, then you've absolutely beaten him.

Also, it really pays to master the art of killing DDs with torpedo bombers. Try to get really good at that.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

It's...it's finally over! :shepicide:

This is my first ranked season and I'm not sure if I want to bother next time. It's extremely frustrating and way too much work for a loving game. Also the high level meta of "420 smoke BBs erryday" is very boring. Final game wasn't anything special but I'll show the results anyway.

What really helped us was their Shchors getting way too close to B when 5/7 of our ships were in there able to shoot at him. He tried to get away, got citadeled, and then the rest of his health got plinked away. Their Hatsuharu also got way too close, close enough for me to spot him. Then I chased that fucker down until I killed him. It was made easier by his Sims buddy eating a blind torp from me. Our BBs had good aim and our Myoko had the good sense to not get citadeled.

Nice to have an easy win at the end, especially since my second to last game featured our Hiryu getting alpha-striked like 5 minutes in. GG at that point, though I did enough damage there to not lose a star.

E: it took me 230 battles and I ended up with a 61% winrate.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 9, 2016

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.
So my experiences of new MM pretty much boil down to "Throw T6 CA into T8 matches to get absolutely wrecked by T8 BBs".

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Hey look, japan resurrected the izumo!

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/japans-latest-destroyer-sure-looks-like-an-aircraft-car-1693949228

It is now a light carrier. I just found this out though when looking to see if japan had any aircraft carriers since ww2. This came up after looking at the Hakuryu in the tech tree and wondering what would have happened if japan's carriers had gotten to that point and perhaps even extended beyond.

I was unaware though that Japan isn't allowed to have an aircraft carrier specifically under their constitution.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

JuffoWup posted:

I was unaware though that Japan isn't allowed to have an aircraft carrier specifically under their constitution.

It's a large helicopter destroyer. Technically, it doesn't have a flight deck capable of launching VTOL fighters like the F-35B.

Yet.

Also, I don't believe Article 9 explicitly forbids any weapons systems except for nukes, the logic is simply that an aircraft carrier constitutes an offensive weapon (and a big expense) and is therefore not in the spirit of the article.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Kim Jong ill posted:

So my experiences of new MM pretty much boil down to "Throw T6 CA into T8 matches to get absolutely wrecked by T8 BBs".

Tier VIII CAs get wrecked by tier VIII BBs. Honestly I think a tier VI CA has an easier time as bottom tier than a BB. You don't care as much about your AP bouncing off the sides of ships and if a BB is shooting at you from far away, you have the maneuverability to dodge their shells. You're there to kill DDs and set other ships on fire.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Pretty sure carriers are classed as purely offensive weapons, as are nuclear powered submarines, and thus banned.

That said, given the US, which you may recognize as the country mostly behind Article 9's institution in the first place, has been supporting the repeal or heavy modification of it for a while now, the only thing keeping it in place at the moment is inertia in Japan itself. The countries really objecting are South Korea, due to long-standing diplomatic issues, and the People's Republic of China, whose own military buildup and bullying of every single country around them has been the primary push to get rid of the article in the first place. Ergo, the PRC's complaining means precisely jack poo poo.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Gorau posted:

Scharnhorst and Gneisenau are T7, if they are, so is Dunnkerque

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Kim Jong ill posted:

That's working as intended. At least now its a T6 CA into a match where only the other team has T8 BB's.

Also I am the worst Cleveland driver.

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jul 9, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Nurnberg is workable in a tier 8 battle provided there aren't any Bensons around, but Aoba and SchorsBudyonny are just fat targets. Cleveland is better than those two, but all the nerfs to squish it into tier 6 make it difficult.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jul 9, 2016

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Triggerhappypilot posted:

It's a large helicopter destroyer. Technically, it doesn't have a flight deck capable of launching VTOL fighters like the F-35B.

Yet.

Also, I don't believe Article 9 explicitly forbids any weapons systems except for nukes, the logic is simply that an aircraft carrier constitutes an offensive weapon (and a big expense) and is therefore not in the spirit of the article.

That is mainly because the f-35b doesn't really exist yet. This isn't much different than when japan called the mogami a light cruiser and excluded form the washington naval treaty. Even though it was so armored that it was really a battlecruiser. This is the same thing. We'll stick some asw choppers on a light carrier and call it a destroyer. Nevermind that it can easily be repurposed into a the light carrier it really is.

Anyway, politics and I don't care honestly. If japan wants a boat, let em have it. I would hope by now they've learned that trade for resources works just as well as land grabs as long as you exercise your nation's specialty.

Back to videogame botes, I wish I could figure out the dev's view on carriers at this point. I feel like they would actually be right on target if one feature was fixed. The old two carriers per platoon re-implemented. That would allow co-ordinated play between the two strike setups on each carrier and play more to their strengths. Likewise, shooting down aircraft needs to give more xp so air superiority carriers can actually gain something from the battle besides having "your team won because the enemy carriers were bled dry." It is like the devs haven't really figured out the root cause of the strike loadout meta. Or more importantly, why even with the aa alert skill, it is still in your best interest to midway the enemy carriers at the start of any match.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

JuffoWup posted:

This isn't much different than when japan called the mogami a light cruiser and excluded form the washington naval treaty. Even though it was so armored that it was really a battlecruiser.

Wow the Mogami in WoWs got nerfed harder compared to RL than I thought. :v:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

JuffoWup posted:

That is mainly because the f-35b doesn't really exist yet. This isn't much different than when japan called the mogami a light cruiser and excluded form the washington naval treaty. Even though it was so armored that it was really a battlecruiser.

No, it was pretty normal by heavy cruiser standards if not a bit light, the rule fudging was the triple 155s that got replaced with twin 203s and that it weighed in with ten guns.

Compare the Zara class or Algerie.

The real shenanigans were with what the Yamatos actually were.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Mogami-class followed the letter of the treaty while ignoring the spirit. There was, after all, nothing in the treaty that technically said you couldn't design a light cruiser that could later be easily upgunned due to its original design. Admittedly, several other signatories were also finding creative ways to only technically follow the treaty, so this was hardly unique to them. Yamato-class though was a flat out violation that they were blatantly lying about when asked.

On to something actually related to WoWS. I don't have it quite yet, but how is matchmaking being done for Mikasa? Given the new matching of equal numbers and tiers of battleships there might be some difficulties given its the only one at T2, and a somewhat hard-to-obtain premium at that (160 ships sunk is not something everyone has the time/skill to do in the timeframe, after all). In a few months there might not necessarily be more than one or two in the queue at a specific time, so that's something of an issue.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

What was that quote, I think about Germany's pocket battleships and how they were not-so-subtly skirting treaty limitations? Something to the tune of "what are they building their ships out of, paper?"

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Lord Koth posted:

On to something actually related to WoWS. I don't have it quite yet, but how is matchmaking being done for Mikasa? Given the new matching of equal numbers and tiers of battleships there might be some difficulties given its the only one at T2, and a somewhat hard-to-obtain premium at that (160 ships sunk is not something everyone has the time/skill to do in the timeframe, after all). In a few months there might not necessarily be more than one or two in the queue at a specific time, so that's something of an issue.
The new MM still allows for a difference of 1 ship. I got into a game last night where I was the only destroyer, for example.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Being an IJN destroyer on Ocean when the enemy team's destroyers suicide early is a magical experience. I nailed an Amagi with 2 different salvos, he never changed his speed or heading after the first hit, and sailed into the 2nd wave.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

TehKeen posted:

What was that quote, I think about Germany's pocket battleships and how they were not-so-subtly skirting treaty limitations? Something to the tune of "what are they building their ships out of, paper?"

I've tried every word combination and similar phrase I can think of, and can't find anything

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jul 9, 2016

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

CitizenKain posted:

Being an IJN destroyer on Ocean when the enemy team's destroyers suicide early is a magical experience. I nailed an Amagi with 2 different salvos, he never changed his speed or heading after the first hit, and sailed into the 2nd wave.
Whenever I get into a match with a torpedo centric DD the other team always seems to know how to turn their boats it's bullshit :mad:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The brown sea has finally discovered there's a kill based mission with a free ship at the end of it

e: Apparently the Type 90 mod. 1 torpedoes for 16,400 xp on the Myoko, and the Type 90 mod. 1 torpedoes with identical stats for 16,400 on the Hatsuharu are in fact completely different, and not a shared research item, to which I say gently caress right off.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 9, 2016

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I'm pretty sure no ships share research items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

At one point some did, especially regarding IJN torpedoes. It is possible they've removed that at some point though, and if so that sucks.