Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Meld is neato, especially in regards to Bruna/Gisella but the fact that there are only 3 Melded cards makes it feel very tacked onto the set :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Gridlocked posted:

Meld is neato, especially in regards to Bruna/Gisella but the fact that there are only 3 Melded cards makes it feel very tacked onto the set :(

I'm glad it's only on a few cards because it's a dumb gimmick.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Finally, a card depicting the moment a man finally convinces himself that 36m Masc, I Can Host is probably safe.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Meld is a cool concept, but I think you generally don't want to have too many cards in a set that care about another card of a specific name, and Meld cards always do. They usually do maybe one set of cards linked mechanically by name per core set or block, but to have a lot of meld they'd need a ton of them. Three or four is probably a good way to include the mechanic and make it a theme without going overboard with it.

A second limited-aimed pair would be nice though.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Promo cards should of been full size put together melds.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Meld is a cool concept, but I think you generally don't want to have too many cards in a set that care about another card of a specific name, and Meld cards always do. They usually do maybe one set of cards linked mechanically by name per core set or block, but to have a lot of meld they'd need a ton of them. Three or four is probably a good way to include the mechanic and make it a theme without going overboard with it.

A second limited-aimed pair would be nice though.

If they wanted to do Meld right they shouldn't have tried to put it in a set with regular flip cards.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Angry Grimace posted:

If they wanted to do Meld right they shouldn't have tried

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

With only one pair of melds at common and the remainder at rare and above, it is nearly unplayable in limited and not worth it in constructed unless it is absurdly good.

So it is bad.

That having been said

socialsecurity posted:

Promo cards should of been full size put together melds.

This guy gets it.

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

I think DFCs are a neat idea but are just kind of annoying to mess with in real life. Meld takes it up another notch by making them take up extra space and probably awkward to tap. Luckily I will probably only ever mess with them in the real world one time at the pre release if I get the common ones.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Does Kaldra have any lore behind him aside from being summoned by Glissa, then getting wrecked by the Green Sun crashing into him? I really like dedicated combos like this, and it makes me sad that Kaldra doesn't even get a special token :/

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Johnny Landmine posted:

Finally, a card depicting the moment a man finally convinces himself that 36m Masc, I Can Host is probably safe.

Oh my god, and of course Wynona Nelson drew it :nallears: :gay: :syoon:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Too vulnerable/cute/weak/awful for Standard

or +
=
Turn 2/3
/

Even assuming the risk and card disadvantage was worth the power (dubious), none of the other werewolves are worth 2-for-1ing yourself to transform early, so it wouldn't be much of a deck

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
It really seems like Waxing Moon could have been a cantrip at its current cost and not been remotely close to too powerful.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

JerryLee posted:

It really seems like Waxing Moon could have been a cantrip at its current cost and not been remotely close to too powerful.

I don't think that would be good for draft

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I'm assuming it's meant to be a okish turn 2/3 combat trick not just for flipping even then maybe if it was an enchantment with flash and stayed on the board giving trample.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Anybody know what time the Loading Ready Run folks are doing their Pre-Pre-Release today? The first one for SoI was pretty good.

e: Noon Pacific, 3 Eastern.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 9, 2016

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

JerryLee posted:

It's often a +x/+x in addition to trample since werewolves tend to be bigger when flipped. Especially EDM's werewolves. They get downright beastly.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Legacy would be a better format without top.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Sickening posted:

Legacy would be a better format without top.

Sorry, but there's very few Legacy players I want to see topless.

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

That "choose 99 cards" bug isn't limited to just Jaddi Lifestrider, it seems. Apparently it also happens with myr battlesphere and (reportedly) tangle wire.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Minority Deport posted:

That "choose 99 cards" bug isn't limited to just Jaddi Lifestrider, it seems. Apparently it also happens with myr battlesphere and (reportedly) tangle wire.

So my guess, based on those 3 cards, is that triggered abilities that let you tap your own things are broken that way. Now, why a triggered ability that would let you tap your own poo poo causes you to have to choose 99 cards and see your opponent's sideboard, well, I have no idea. Just MODO things, I guess.

Elyv fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jul 9, 2016

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Reminder that playing MTGO costs 5-10 times what it would cost to purchase a functional pc game such as Overwatch or Call of Duty.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Minority Deport posted:

and (reportedly) tangle wire.

So it's a three-mana "at the beginning of each player's upkeep, that player times out"?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

little munchkin posted:

Reminder that playing MTGO costs 5-10 times what it would cost to purchase a functional pc game such as Overwatch or Call of Duty.

reminder that playing MTG costs hundreds to thousands of dollars a year

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

rabidsquid posted:

reminder that playing MTG costs hundreds to thousands of dollars a year

And paper Magic functions.

Also you can just build some stuff, including a cube, and spend way less than hundreds to thousands a year playing Magic.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

thank you, i had forgotten you can play cube.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

just lmao at anyone recommending cube as a way to save money, that thread title is painfully accurate

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

It is amazing how expensive the game is. As far as 'nerdy' entertainment, I can't think of anything that comes close to it. Maybe miniature games, but do they have either rotating current formats or super cost prohibitive eternal formats?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

It's only very expensive if you want to compete at a really competitive level. Otherwise, it's just kind of pricey. You can play very casually for dirt cheap, or if you do a draft at FNM every week, it doesn't cost you a fortune either.

That being said, they really should reprint tournament cards a little more aggressively.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Shadow225 posted:

It is amazing how expensive the game is. As far as 'nerdy' entertainment, I can't think of anything that comes close to it. Maybe miniature games, but do they have either rotating current formats or super cost prohibitive eternal formats?

If you want all of Android: Netrunner, you need to spend $687 retail. Then it's $14.95 a month, which is about the equivalent of one Magic draft.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I'm not familiar with Android, as there isn't really a scene for it in my city to my knowledge. Do you need the entire set to play competitively? Even then, you're looking at like half a year of standard or at most two modern decks.

Two of last two players were super twitchy. Nerves, caffeine, tired, or drugs?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Bonus posted:

It's only very expensive if you want to compete at a really competitive level. Otherwise, it's just kind of pricey. You can play very casually for dirt cheap, or if you do a draft at FNM every week, it doesn't cost you a fortune either.

That being said, they really should reprint tournament cards a little more aggressively.

in a lot of places it's fairly pricey just to play FNM without losing 75% of your games every week. it's not like that everywhere, but the reality is the casual constructed format for MTG is outrageously expensive for a lot of people.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Ciprian Maricon posted:

just lmao at anyone recommending cube as a way to save money, that thread title is painfully accurate

Haha. Cube is $30 for sleeves, $30 for ink, and $3 for a thousand basics. Idiot.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

very important to sleeve up those basics you spent so much money writing with ink on

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo this thread. The basics go under the proxies so you can actually play with them.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

"holy poo poo this thread" is bar none one of my favorite dumb complaints on these forums. "goons lmao"

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012

Ciprian Maricon posted:

My brother built a proxy cube and has fun with it. It's literally no different from a regular cube.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

$30 for ink,

I thought you meant tattoos for a bit there and was wondering what kind of scary rear end alley can you get tattoos that cheap and why do you need tattoos to play cube. Do I need a sick tat to play my cube, like the power 9 to show my dominance over the other nerds?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Power 9 would be a good mtg themed gang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Lmao jeff hooglands legacy deck

• Locked thread