Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Oh wow, that cliffhanger. Ho-ly poo poo that's hilarious. I've read the whole series before, but could anyone tell me where to start up on the manga from the end? I'm not rereading pre Golden Age because Guts was a miserable bastard and not even in a way that made sense, so yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Guts was a miserable bastard and not even in a way that made sense

Uhh...what? Are you sure you were paying attention?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think this ep ended at the end of either vol 16, 17 or 18. Not sure which.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

they made all the flashback stuff animated good and then all the "in the present" stuff where they're skipping everything look bad. are they making some kind of filler episode so they don't have to show the rape horse? cowards.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

it might be a mansion of a family of them

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I'll watch today on the strength of that, Josuke, instead of waiting. I'm miffed about Casca but no point in saying much more, I guess that's just how it goes. :/

E: writing wise it was indeed better, it seemed cogent. The animation didn't make me feel urpy though it still does nothing for me. Works for puck i guess!

Okuyasu Nijimura fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 8, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you ever wonder why Farnese's face looks extra off, it's because it's mirrored. Perfectly symmetrical.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
this was a much better episode, and for that at least I am glad

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Less CG or better CG?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The 2D for the flashbacks is good, the CG is the majority and same quality as ever. It's more the writing, plot and flow is a lot better because it sticks to the manga for the most part.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/JordanKai_/status/751450714086469632

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Azan's proportions look weird, like he's too short and fat. I know he's fat but too fat. Its like he got squashed.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I'm ok with this.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Guts Escape: Zero Budget Dilemma.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

more of this

and this

please

(the art, not smiling griffith, gently caress him)

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Some things in this episode:

- Part of me hopes the studio is secretly going to replace all of the CG with proper 2D art before it gets released to BluRay/DVD. No chance of that actually happening but I can still dream.

- What 2D art is there looks fine and it's absolutely puzzling why they didn't just go with it instead, even mediocre hand drawn art looks a million times better than the CG bullshit we're seeing right now.

- Much better pacing, kept pretty close to the manga, thankfully.

- :lol: why is Casca completely pale white now?

- The ending song and credit sequence is loving embarrassing, particularly when given the soundtrack so far has been pretty good. What the gently caress were they thinking?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

She looks pretty much the same skin tone as she usually does in colour panels or works here, at least within variation in these two short parts of the OP while still being really pale at others.

(That Guts on the second pic)

But in the flashback in the actual show, she's white as a ghost. Whiter than Griffith who is purposely described as white as gently caress.

Part of me thinks it could still be an extremely strange thing they're doing for flash backs, which are kinda washed out a bit at times and she is the present Casca at the times where she looks like her real self.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 8, 2016

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Man this anime is gonna be a bumpy ride. Hope it keeps improving as it goes.

Glaric
Oct 9, 2011

That's just sad.
I can't believe Tonio is loving dead.

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.
Much of the episode 3 preview looked unfamiliar but allegedly it's penned by Miura? So at least it'll be canon (just as the Dreamcast and PS2 games were).

This episode was a massive step up from the first one, but I don't think that has anything to do with the production itself so much as the plot kicking in for real. Berserk has a compelling story y'all

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I thought this week was actually much worse than last week except for the Hirasawa song.

Spinny camera bullshit to the point that it actually obscures that Serpico throws the tree branch that hits Guts and causes Farnese to get a lucky cut on him. If I hadn't read the manga I might have missed that.

Talking about Azan the bride knight instead of saving that time for Guts telling Farnese that she's as hollow as her idol which is what really sets her off. They should have drawn out that scene more. Here it just seems like she goes nuts way too fast with the whipping.

All that talk about the Band of the Hawk. Farnese isn't supposed to know who Guts is. I guess they did that to clue new viewers in? I thought it was clumsy.

Bad faces! Farnese's eyebrows kept twitching weirdly. That trick might work in 2d, but it looks like a motion glitch in CG. Terrible expressions, whereas in the manga her face displays so much more emotion.

A surprising amount of "pan-imation" for a show that is supposed to be using CG to add more movement. And those CG backgrounds in the forest scene during daytime looked awful. They looked like what you see in the software before it's rendered.

Such a rough show. I wish they where using a studio that didn't know how to use 3D for this. Then at least maybe we'd get some clever use of art direction to cover up for lack of movement. And not so much spinning pointless camera.

Also this is possibly the ugliest establishing shot I have ever seen in an anime. It looks like a Maya playblast.

But I liked the flashbacks!

Ccs fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 9, 2016

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Going back, I'm excited to see a cured Casca, but I don't think even after "healed" she's gonna snap back to who she was. I think those first chapters are going to be intense, especially if she realizes that Guts did just loving bail after the eclipse. Godo called him out on it, imagine how rough that speech from Casca winds up. The best case scenario is she realizes he came back and has fought tooth and nail to get her healed, but its been implied in the past that it may not be what she wants. I think its gonna be rough before better.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Awesome Welles posted:

Uhh...what? Are you sure you were paying attention?

He basically just laughs at people for being screwed over by life sucking, and comes of as malicious IIRC. Like, Lost Children comes right after it story-wise and he is just a super unhappy jaded guy, but in a way that makes it believable that he's "our" Guts. But yeah, that was kind of dumb to say since its been nearly ten years since I read it, nevermind.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
So is there a full version of the Hirasawa song somewhere I can listen to/buy because that't the only reason I care about the anime at all.

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

Glaric posted:

I can't believe Tonio is loving dead.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

This show is a masterclass on how not to animate. They managed to add motion but remove all the life.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jul 9, 2016

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Someone brought up the issue of nobody knowing what Caska's really like except Guts himself, and it reminds me of an interesting element of the party dynamic: nobody in the party actually has any idea who Guts actually is or what happened to him with two exceptions. Scheirke knows bits and pieces based on visions and tidbits Flora told her but doesn't really know the story. The only one who DOES know all of it is.... Puck.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUMLwN5z0mI

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/JordanKai_/status/751449505527193600

You could probably put in Rules of Nature in there.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Last Celebration posted:

He basically just laughs at people for being screwed over by life sucking, and comes of as malicious IIRC. Like, Lost Children comes right after it story-wise and he is just a super unhappy jaded guy, but in a way that makes it believable that he's "our" Guts....

Ccs posted:

This show is a masterclass on how not to animate. They managed to add motion but remove all the life.
"You need Black Swordsman to motivate the character". After all, Puck only bugs the poo poo out of Guts because Guts does everything to keep him away, and Puck gets off on aggravating people. "Oh, but Black Swordsman is dark, we don't like it; him demonstrating his sacrificial fighting style, and superior high-speed swordsmanship is not enough".

"You need Lost Children to motivate the character". This time instead of telling the girl to come back and murder him when she wants revenge, he at least departs friends, he has Puck hanging on, he's starting to recover from the Eclipse a bit (emotionally), which permits him to move to a place where Casca will become his responsibility, where he's willing to admit Farnese into the circle, etc. "Oh, but he uses kids as bait, and there's trolls that do icky things in one scene, and the kids are like Lord of the Flies but more murderous and they're all rapists; his demonstrating his superior swordsmanship against two insect-like pseudo-apostles that were presumably knights is not enough".

"We don't like rapehorse and Farnese riding the Dragonslayer". "Wait, why does this devout female leader suddenly just drop her long-cherished beliefs?"

"We don't like Guts losing control and chomping on Casca". "Oh wait, what's this inner dog demon beast thing that didn't get introduced when we skipped all that material in the previous arcs?"

This slippery slope leads not to Berserk but "Should have just animated most recently-popular video game, included big sword, and given at least one character a biomechanical arm or something"... like an 8-year-old Guts fleeing on horseback and falling amidst a pack of wolves. (But we can't show that because it's cold and rainy and dark and sad, and he just committed involuntary patricide and was just prostituted out; and it's not enough that it motivates his subsequent survival mentality and distance from other people which isn't really fixed until he hooks up with Casca but almost strangles her but opens up instead... 24 hours before... crap, the Eclipse.)

Well gently caress, maybe you'd like a nice anime about tea and crumpets. Griffith had that vision too.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

But in the flashback in the actual show, she's white as a ghost. Whiter than Griffith who is purposely described as white as gently caress.

Part of me thinks it could still be an extremely strange thing they're doing for flash backs, which are kinda washed out a bit at times and she is the present Casca at the times where she looks like her real self.

https://twitter.com/kvlt_juggalo/status/751557577004027904

Berserk: Cascablanca

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

"You need Black Swordsman to motivate the character". After all, Puck only bugs the poo poo out of Guts because Guts does everything to keep him away, and Puck gets off on aggravating people. "Oh, but Black Swordsman is dark, we don't like it; him demonstrating his sacrificial fighting style, and superior high-speed swordsmanship is not enough".

"You need Lost Children to motivate the character". This time instead of telling the girl to come back and murder him when she wants revenge, he at least departs friends, he has Puck hanging on, he's starting to recover from the Eclipse a bit (emotionally), which permits him to move to a place where Casca will become his responsibility, where he's willing to admit Farnese into the circle, etc. "Oh, but he uses kids as bait, and there's trolls that do icky things in one scene, and the kids are like Lord of the Flies but more murderous and they're all rapists; his demonstrating his superior swordsmanship against two insect-like pseudo-apostles that were presumably knights is not enough".

"We don't like rapehorse and Farnese riding the Dragonslayer". "Wait, why does this devout female leader suddenly just drop her long-cherished beliefs?"

"We don't like Guts losing control and chomping on Casca". "Oh wait, what's this inner dog demon beast thing that didn't get introduced when we skipped all that material in the previous arcs?"

This slippery slope leads not to Berserk but "Should have just animated most recently-popular video game, included big sword, and given at least one character a biomechanical arm or something"... like an 8-year-old Guts fleeing on horseback and falling amidst a pack of wolves. (But we can't show that because it's cold and rainy and dark and sad, and he just committed involuntary patricide and was just prostituted out; and it's not enough that it motivates his subsequent survival mentality and distance from other people which isn't really fixed until he hooks up with Casca but almost strangles her but opens up instead... 24 hours before... crap, the Eclipse.)

Well gently caress, maybe you'd like a nice anime about tea and crumpets. Griffith had that vision too.

Please post like a normal person because I can't parse whatever the gently caress you're trying to say here. Cheers.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Well at least we've got the game to look forward to

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Did they give her a boobplate? :colbert:

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

Please post like a normal person because I can't parse whatever the gently caress you're trying to say here. Cheers.

I can't tell who is being chastised there but we should all feel the sting for demanding something at some point in time, or not demanding it, or for watching as other people demanded something, or for enjoying crumpets

Vedius Pollio
Sep 11, 2007

This episode stayed actually sufficiently on-plot for me to be okay with it, but this is reeeeally stretching the very edges of what anyone would put up with visually. This is really not the continuation of the '97 anime I've waited for years for, but I still maintain that I'd vastly prefer sacrificing visuals over plot as far as Berserk is concerned.

Maybe this is just the right time and this anime will take off and they'll have more money to do cooler, better stuff in the future, or more likely this will kill any attempt at Berserk taking off into something which can levy funds towards a decent adaptation for several years again. :suicide:

Edit: Apparently Miura himself wrote the next episode and it's a completely new scenario from the manga. Let us lament the cutting of rapehorse Anyone want to hazard a guess as to how random Resident Evil mansions can exist in Midland's economic and political climate? :V

Vedius Pollio fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jul 9, 2016

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
https://fat.gfycat.com/ColdAggravatingHoki.webm
https://giant.gfycat.com/WeepyPastDragon.webm
:wow:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Guts mildly irritating blonde Saitama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

The best part about the symmetrical face thing? Her bangs.