Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Kizurue posted:

What is a good mod to add in encounters and such? I have been trying Sands of Time but have been getting some pretty frequent crashes which I think it's causing. Anyone use anything else to add in random encounters?

Extra Encounters Reborn: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/58613/

There is also Extended Encounters but it vanished from conventional sources when the author vanished from the internet and pulled all his poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

There is also Extended Encounters but it vanished from conventional sources when the author vanished from the internet and pulled all his poo poo.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5IpTkVbX2FIU0ViM1llWWxNTmM/view

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I'm actually curious now whether "mod piracy" counts as :filez:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

I'm actually curious now whether "mod piracy" counts as :files:

what law is it breaking because mod owners don't own their own mods

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

:shrug: No clue, it's more of a "better safe than sorry" hunch. And I mean, the authors don't own it, but that doesn't mean that actual owner's copyright isn't being violated (again no idea what the actual terms are here).

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

GunnerJ posted:

:shrug: No clue, it's more of a "better safe than sorry" hunch. And I mean, the authors don't own it, but that doesn't mean that actual owner's copyright isn't being violated (again no idea what the actual terms are here).

What mod author is going to take you to court? And if they do, what sort of damages are they going to prove?
"He downloaded my free mod I created" ?
Billion dollar companies can't enforce their poo poo, what makes you think a mod author will have the law, means and time to enforce theirs?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Like, my perspective here isn't against posting links, I don't care, and yeah reprisal is unlikely. I'm really only thinking about the forum rules and what to say about it in the OP. Mod piracy didn't exist when this thread started.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
If it were against the rules, we'd have seen some action taken ages ago against one of the Alluvion-hosted Morrowind megapacks that likely didn't have the permission of every single author of its contents. Or New Vegas's LPAM, which is a compilation of great armors. Or 500 other examples. Just relax; mod 'piracy' is fine. If it weren't, we'd lose access to stuff like Wyrmstooth and that'd suck.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I guess so. Like I said, this wasn't a moral objection, I don't care about mod piracy or posting links, just wondered if it's something someone could get banned for.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Traditionally, mods have operated in a gray area. Copyright laws around the world generally include derivative works, so technically distributing mods is most likely infringing on the game developer's copyright, if the developer so decides.

But I'm guessing that the new official mod platforms must have some kind of licensing agreements that give at least some rights back to the mod authors (and a distribution/reproduction license to Bethesda)? Do they?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Smol posted:

Traditionally, mods have operated in a gray area. Copyright laws around the world generally include derivative works, so technically distributing mods is most likely infringing on the game developer's copyright, if the developer so decides.

But I'm guessing that the new official mod platforms must have some kind of licensing agreements that give at least some rights back to the mod authors (and a distribution/reproduction license to Bethesda)? Do they?

"If You distribute or otherwise make available New Materials [Mods], You automatically grant to Bethesda Softworks the irrevocable, perpetual, royalty free, sublicensable right and license under all applicable copyrights and intellectual property rights laws to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, perform, display, distribute and otherwise exploit and/or dispose of the New Materials (or any part of the New Materials) in any way Bethesda Softworks, or its respective designee(s), sees fit,"

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...

GunnerJ posted:

Thanks, I will give these a go!

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Mortimer posted:

"If You distribute or otherwise make available New Materials [Mods], You automatically grant to Bethesda Softworks the irrevocable, perpetual, royalty free, sublicensable right and license under all applicable copyrights and intellectual property rights laws to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, perform, display, distribute and otherwise exploit and/or dispose of the New Materials (or any part of the New Materials) in any way Bethesda Softworks, or its respective designee(s), sees fit,"

The text implies that Bethesda acknowledges that mod authors own the copyright to their mods. No idea where that text is from, but stuff about copyright ownership is probably in the same document.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
By the way, we all need to start using modwat.ch and linking our lists. I'm about to get that going so I can share my list; I'm pretty proud of it even though it's RELATIVELY basic. I think the only thing I went overboard on is quest mods.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Modwatch is garbage and full of trojans.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Whizbang posted:

Modwatch is garbage and full of trojans.

Wait, really?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Well, THAT I did not know! Sorry to have linked it.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I just can't get new MCM menus to show up for some reason. I've tried running with Jaxonz MCM Kicker and typing that console command "setstage SKI_ConfigManagerInstance 1". I don't think the mods in question are the problem, but in any case they are A Matter of Time and Thieves Guild Requirements. SKSE is up to date and so is SKYUI.

Anyone know of a way to fix this that i haven't come across googling yet?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Apoplexy posted:

Well, THAT I did not know! Sorry to have linked it.

I kinda do want to know a bit more about this so I can include it in the new OP.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Smol posted:

The text implies that Bethesda acknowledges that mod authors own the copyright to their mods. No idea where that text is from, but stuff about copyright ownership is probably in the same document.

It's the EULA to the Skyrim Creation Kit.

And yes, copyright is automatic to everything you make, including stuff you make based on someone else's copyright. If it goes to court, the winner is the one who hires the most expensive lawyer, as demonstrated by "artist" Richard Prince's career.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Cat Mattress posted:

It's the EULA to the Skyrim Creation Kit.

And yes, copyright is automatic to everything you make, including stuff you make based on someone else's copyright. If it goes to court, the winner is the one who hires the most expensive lawyer, as demonstrated by "artist" Richard Prince's career.

Who's that dick

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

GunnerJ posted:

Oh, that reminds me that someone mentioned that a while back and that the sysadmin ghosted. :iiam:

Anyway, I have started to continue Agent's work on the new OP. So far I have made a few additions and listed things that are TBD. Some of my own mod recs are just the names for now. Most substantial additions are in {SOFTWARE}, the section on modding tools/utilities. (Edit: Remembered to add the SMC, thought it's not listed in the paste yet.) Check it out: http://pastebin.com/evaQGfMq

I do need help with a few things:

1. There are some categories of mod I have no or little experience with. Just search for the words "pls help" for these. Unless there are objections, I'm going to cobble these sections together from the current OP. Since the whole point is revising the current OP, hopefully there will be some objections!

2. I'd also really appreciate general feedback on the mod recommendations, especially and specifically what I have added. Here's the diff so you can tell what I have changed: https://www.diffchecker.com/u13nn3zm (Note: I have not actually removed very much, the diff tool lists moved sections as deleted in the original sometimes?? But they are still there in the new text!)

I feel like you're loading a whole lot of stuff isn't really necessary at the start of the document; the first third of the post doesn't actually seem to list a single mod, and it's a HUGE post so that's quite a bit of info that I have to skip past if I'm just interested in mods. There's a few things that I'd move to an FAQ at the end, mostly the big names in modding section and the terms are things that (while relevant) aren't something a person just looking for mod recommendations needs to know. I'd trim both the software and the "where to get mods" section but keep them at the front since they're pretty important.

Basically my issue is that if I'm just looking for mod recommendations I don't want to scroll past a whole lot of stuff I'm not interested in.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I think that's a fair point. If the main draw is "here's how to hit the ground running" then the stuff that's currently at the top of the OP could be moved to a first reply that's about "general modding stuff." The only concern I have is that I do want to have some really basic "meta-info" about the techniques of modding. I could do something really basic and then keep the more advanced stuff in a separate post.

I'm not writing that out to be one post, tbh. I just want to get everything down and then I can reorganize it into a series of posts.

NiftyBottle
Jan 1, 2009

radical
With respect to housing mods -
Elianora makes nice houses
Reddit held a house making contest, and Haafinheim won it. It's probably pretty good.

Normally I'd be more help, but I recently redid my loadout and health issues are preventing me from playing to test the house mods.

e: looked back at my posting history to see if I recommended any in the past, the only one seems to be Camping Kit of the Northern Ranger, which is a craftable/placable tent which sort of qualifies, if not as an actual house, then at least a house-like thing. I know some things have come out since using Campfire as a basis, so it may not be the best tent mod anymore.

NiftyBottle fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 9, 2016

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

My reason for front-loading some of those issues was to short-circuit a few of the "Hi, I just reinstalled Skyrim for the first time in years, (asks question that's answered in the OP and on almost every page since.)" posts.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
To be fair, that complaint of his is ridiculous and the OP should be exactly the way you want it. YOU'RE the one putting in the goddamn work; let's let you decide whether or not the first post should be mods or a briefing or even just a picture of goatse.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Apoplexy posted:

To be fair, that complaint of his is ridiculous and the OP should be exactly the way you want it. YOU'RE the one putting in the goddamn work; let's let you decide whether or not the first post should be mods or a briefing or even just a picture of goatse.

(the right choice is goatse)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Well, I solicited feedback, so :shrug:

Agents, I had the same thought, which is why I want to make sure there's some basic "how to mod" info up front no matter how I end up re-organizing things.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I think FAQs should be first because the point of an OP is to welcome newcomers to the thread. They're the ones who shouldn't have to skip past things to get to what they need because they don't already know everything about the OP or where to skip to. It shouldn't cater to people who are just looking for mods first.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Apoplexy posted:

Who's that dick

Some smug douchebag who makes millions by photographing other people's art and blowing them up. Calls it "appropriation art".
http://hyperallergic.com/152762/richard-prince-inc/

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Agents are GO! posted:

The general consensus is that, with one huge exception, mods should work okay. That huge exception being any mod that requires the Skyrim Script Extender, which will probably need an extensive update to work with the Remaster.

By extension, that also includes any mod that uses MCM. MCM requires SkyUI, which requires SKSE. Gopher did a video where he said it's even possible that SkyUI won't be ported to the remaster, but I have a hard time believing that.

Praetorian Mage fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Jul 9, 2016

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I think the remaster is a whole lotta overblown hooplah, frankly. Native x64 support is nice, but it's not like you can't get Skyrim to run well right now with Crash Fixes and an ENB and something semi-modern in your rig (780 for me, I can handle an ENB + heavy mods)

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

It will be a big deal if they upgrade it to dx11 because then they can use more than 4gb of ram.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I agree, but you can do that right now with ENBoost and Crash Fixes. I think, anyhow.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Agents are GO! posted:

It will be a big deal if they upgrade it to dx11 because then they can use more than 4gb of ram.

We already know they're upgrading it to dx11 because they have to for it to run on PS4 and Xbone.

Apoplexy posted:

I agree, but you can do that right now with ENBoost and Crash Fixes. I think, anyhow.

You're wrong as usual.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
And somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. Jeez. Have you ever tried being nice, you jerk?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Yo Whizbang, what's the deal with Modwatch being poo poo?

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

If you insist on keeping all of that stuff, I'd at least suggest a link at the top of the post saying ":siren: CLICK HERE TO GO STRAIGHT TO THE MODS :siren:" that links to whichever post actually has the mods

Apoplexy posted:

ah yes the nexus strat of "ask for feedback and then ignore it", genius if i do say so myself

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Cat Mattress posted:

Some smug douchebag who makes millions by photographing other people's art and blowing them up. Calls it "appropriation art".
http://hyperallergic.com/152762/richard-prince-inc/

Roy Lichtenstein taken to a whole new level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Why are so few of the mods in Steam workshop?

• Locked thread